BCS talks update from NYTimes | The Boneyard

BCS talks update from NYTimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/26/s...isive-issue-at-college-football-meetings.html

I think that that the Rose Bowl, being the grand daddy of them all, should be the permanent site of the national championship game.

That way Delaney, gets to have is cake, but needs to earn it too. Big 10 and Pac 10 champs want to play in the Rose Bowl?

FIne - win your playoff games.

I really hope that the conference champions only thing comes back to the surface though, anything else is just a bastardized version of what already exists.

College football fans - we cannot stand for this.

Somebody email Thamel to get into those guys faces down there in Florida and tell them just to make the Rose Bowl the permanent national championship site/venue, and have a conference champ playoff.

Gotta make this happen.

Reaction Score
Delany is the kind of smooth operator that will have his cake, eat it and then eat your cake. The only way your idea will happen is if they keep the Rose Bowl and play a distinct NC game in addition to the Rose Bowl.

Reaction Score
Does Delaney realize that by comparing a move toward a playoff to the Arab Spring which must be controlled he firmly places himself in the role of Mubarak, with the Rose bowl the palace of an unwanted dictator?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm 33 and don't care one whit about the Rose Bowl. This desire to keep it "relevant" is bizarre to me. No one is stopping them from having a bowl, but don't let it impact the 4 team playoff concept being considered.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The playoff folks need to work the Governors. There is a massive payday for a playoff, most of which will go to public universities in cash strapped states. The governors of Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Illinois would order their University Presidents to join a playoff system if anyone was bothering to pay attention to the financial impact.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm 33 and don't care one whit about the Rose Bowl. This desire to keep it "relevant" is bizarre to me. No one is stopping them from having a bowl, but don't let it impact the 4 team playoff concept being considered.

The Rose Bowl is pretty cool, but it's not that cool. Let B1G #2 play P12 #2 if they want. It'd still be Mich, OSU, Neb, PSU, Usc, Oregon most years.

Neutral site three BCS games in one week is the way to go. And within 6 years we'll have the round if 8 at home sites, too. Making fans travel to neutral sites twice will blow up in their face.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score
The governors of Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Illinois would order their University Presidents to join a playoff system if anyone was bothering to pay attention to the financial impact.

Is anyone looking at anything but the financial impact?

Reaction Score
I have no idea where Marinatto stands in all of this, what his views are. Would be nice to hear about what the Big East is doing at these talks in Florida this week. Getting the state governments involved and then by extension, federal is probably what it will take to get these dictators like Delaney, Slive to fly right and do this thing the way it should be done.

By my understanding, the commissioner of the pac 10 and several other non-AQ commissioners have been in favor of a playoff involving conference champions only.

We need to get that back. Trust me on this - if whatever system comes out of this does NOT include only conference champions - the entire thing is a big f(cking joke, and there will be fan backlash and coach/administrator backlash that will bring down the entire bowl system.

I can't believe how money mongering and self serving some of these guys are - a playoff MUST involve only conference champions. Anything else is nothing more than another BCS game, and they may as well just add another BCS game as they originially were planning to do before the fan uprisal this year.

Reaction Score
I have no idea where Marinatto stands in all of this, what his views are. Would be nice to hear about what the Big East is doing at these talks in Florida this week. Getting the state governments involved and then by extension, federal is probably what it will take to get these dictators like Delaney, Slive to fly right and do this thing the way it should be done.

By my understanding, the commissioner of the pac 10 and several other non-AQ commissioners have been in favor of a playoff involving conference champions only.

We need to get that back. Trust me on this - if whatever system comes out of this does NOT include only conference champions - the entire thing is a big f(cking joke, and there will be fan backlash and coach/administrator backlash that will bring down the entire bowl system.

I can't believe how money mongering and self serving some of these guys are - a playoff MUST involve only conference champions. Anything else is nothing more than another BCS game, and they may as well just add another BCS game as they originially were planning to do before the fan uprisal this year.

Marinatto is irrelevant on any of this.

Reaction Score
He better not be.

What sort of influence do you think he has? I have a strong hunch that he is a shill for Delaney since he considers him to be a mentor. The ACC commish shills for the SEC..

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is anyone looking at anything but the financial impact?

They shouldn't be. Tuition is going way up at many state universities, and states are slashing payrolls. Wouldn't an extra $5-10MM a year be a good thing? Or is the "pageantry" of the Rose Bowl worth an extra $200-500 per student in tuition?

Reaction Score
Given the state of things in 2012, Notre Dame independant in football and having their own seat in these discussion is fine w/ me. THe new news is that they're now discussing a selection committee to pick the "final four". It's a step in the right in the direction from the nonsense I've seen/heard before...

but once again - I'm of the opinion that any playoff format that does NOT involve olny conference champions - is useless, and nothing should change. Any sort of playoff that involves non-conference winners - either needs to involve all 11 conferences - and then at larges, or nothing.

I'm 100% with Larry Scott on this. conference champions only, or nothing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am 100% behind taking exactly what basketball does and replicating it in football. Basketball has roughly 50/50 at large/automatic bids, so football should do the same. About 19% of college basketball teams make the post season, I would propose roughly 13% make the playoffs in football (16/120), although there could be play in games for the smaller conferences.

We have a virtually perfect model of how it would work, a model that has been replicated successfully at other levels of college football.

And it would make the schools a fortune.

Reaction Score
The thing about all of this - is that there are a handful of bowl executives, a dozen conference commissioners and the ND athletic director, that control the entire division 1-A college football post season revenue streams, and there is no defined leadership or decision making process. It's really an interesting thing socially to observe. BIllions of dollars are wrapped up in these meetings going on right now in Florida.

It's the modern sports equivalent of the Holy Roman Empire in the middle ages. The pope crowns a king, who doesn't really have a defined role, and the line of royalty changes at a whim, because the pope doesn't really pick the king, because the strongest noble tells the pope who will be king, and when a noble decides he wants to be the next holy roman emperor, it's either install a new pope, or go to war and dismantle the next kingdom.......and nobody really controls anything, and the only people that really are in control, are the peopel that control monetary currency.

It took the french revolution and the beheading of kings of queens to finally bring about the end of the Holy Roman Empire.

These people down in florida should study their history. Delaney is talking about evolution of the BCS in the media. The fans want revolution.

Reaction Score
I've talked a little about how I think recruiting fits into all of this. Because recruiting is the life blood of successful football.

The so called "big time" conferences, enjoy a recruiting advantage over the rest of 1-A football programs in teh country. They enjoy it becuase of one thing, and one thing only - PUBLIC PERCEPTION..........

In the past 15 years or so, with the creation of the BCS system, the recruiting gap (PUBLIC PERCEPTION) has widened materially with the money around the BCS bowl system.

With the institution of what nelson talks about, with what I want - a 16 team playoff model to determine a national champion....

what happens is that you get a true path to a national title, that has never existed at this level of college football before. That means that EVERY 1-A team has the same road to a title......

and where does that road start - recruiting.

What would happen with a true playoff system, is that the recruiting advantages and monetary gaps that the conferences that have gotten fat on the BCS, would thin right out.

The good coaches, the good recruiters, the good academic and athletic programs, would trully rise to the top, and any one of the 120 programs could do it.

I really believe that with such a system, college football could actually challenge the NFL for popularity in a really short period of time.

What might rub some people the wrong way, but I don't care.....is that I wonder, if the people in those rooms in Florida today, actually are big brained enough to understand that, and are defending the recruiting advantages they've gained, by not looking at such a playoff system, or if they're purely driven by greed.

Should be an interesting summer in college football.

Reaction Score
What sort of influence do you think he has? I have a strong hunch that he is a shill for Delaney since he considers him to be a mentor. The ACC commish shills for the SEC..

Marianatto is equivalent of the Congressman from Guam: he has no power, nobody cares what he thinks, but they let him in the room.

Reaction Score
Marianatto is equivalent of the Congressman from Guam: he has no power, nobody cares what he thinks, but they let him in the room.

We need Marinatto to be the Pope of Greenwich Village in this thing.

Reaction Score
P.S. I'm in an odd mood today.

I think Mickey Rourke's line in the movie went.......

Irish guy - You guys are family? Come on - you're like third cousins or something. and Rourke goes....."Third cousins to Italians is like twin brothers for the Irish"

The new Big east - is a bunch of third cousins fourteen times removed for sure - but we need the italian providence mafia to treat us like family down there in this BCS thing to get this thing sorted out right and the Notre Dame fighting irish need to treat us like twin brothers.

I'm going to keep a positive outlook that Marinatto is down there and making waves, and all I need to do, to keep that outlook, is hold fast to my belief that marinatto, as our big east leadership, finally understands that the strenght of the football league, is what is going to keep the basketball league on top in the country.

have a nice day folks!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

only to eat, becuase hes hungry.

Reaction Score
not done yet - news just came out that they scrapped the 8 and 16 team playoff models, because "it would harm the college football regular season"

What a load of horsesh*t. I just wrote before what a 16 team model would harm, and that's the recruiting advantage that the SEC, Big 10, etc. have over the SWAC...etc.

The regular season would have a hell of a lot more meaning with a true playoff system.

I think it's time for revolution.

Reaction Score
If the major conferences ( SEC, B?G, PAC, etc) do not have control of the outcome they will recreate the old CFA, and tell the NCAA to go pound sand. They like the fact they are in control and will not allow the NCAA to get in the way as it does in BB. This AM I heard a former SEC coach talk about the mechanics of setting up a playoff. He said he understands that the big conferences would be ok with 4 or 6 teams (top two get first round bye) but no more than that. Teams could be chosen by polls or selection committee. If its is a selection committee it should in his words "not have people from basketball comferences". He obviously is not a conference spokesman but I found his words interesting.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
not done yet - news just came out that they scrapped the 8 and 16 team playoff models, because "it would harm the college football regular season"

What a load of horsesh*t. I just wrote before what a 16 team model would harm, and that's the recruiting advantage that the SEC, Big 10, etc. have over the SWAC...etc.

The regular season would have a hell of a lot more meaning with a true playoff system.

I think it's time for revolution.

Are you surprised? This is exactly as most thought it would play out. You have all of the people that currently have all of the power and money making the decisions. Why would they change the status quo? They need to make some change with the current public and political pressure...but they won't actually give up any power or money.

I think everyone knows how this will play out. They will decide to go to a 4 team playoff (and I use the term playoff hesitantly, as it will be 2 or 3 teams from the SEC/B1G every year with one team from the PAC12/BIG12 and a once in a long while a random ACC/Notre Dame/undefeated non-BCS team). Then 10 years from now they will expand to 6 teams. Then 10 years after that they will go to 8 teams. Eventually, it will finally get to 16 teams in a playoff with automatic conference qualifiers...but itl will be a long time from now and none of the people currently in power will still be in the room. And that is if the power conferences don't split off from the NCAA first.

This is all so predictable. Anyone who thought that we would get a real playoff now just isn't paying attention.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom