BC Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

BC Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Was the defense worn down in the 1st half when they gave up almost 250 yards?

We were lucky to get to halftime 14-7

Your argument makes no sense. The offense scored 14 points in the game. Again, they had about 70 yards of total offense in the first half and allowed BC to more than double our TOP. What's the defense supposed to do, hold every team to 7 points? In 6 of our 8 games we've scored 21 points or less. It makes it nearly impossible to win

Reaction Score
Exactly, we don’t need an NIL billionaire donor to be able to compete with the majority of the teams we play. We need better coaching and execution.

Our best offensive player today, Cam Edwards is a local kid who had (to my knowledge) no other D1 offers….

Again the FCS Dakota teams who are are some and would beat us do it with unranked talent outta HS.
And was buried on the depth chart…

Reaction Score
The step backwards this year is not very surprising. Call it sophomore slump. Mora is by far the best coach we have had at UConn. That includes the guy who snuck out in the middle of the night like a coward.

We are competitive week in week out. A couple of years ago we gave up 40 points a game while regularly being shut out. We are headed in the right direction even if 2023 has been a regression.

The thing that bothers me the most is the 27 missed tackles in the opener. Whatever the coaches were seeing in the preseason was a mirage. The team was NOT ready for the season. And make no mistake, these coaches thought they were ready. Maybe they believed their off season press clippings. I don't know. But how do the hell do you forget to teach your defense to tackle. That is unforgivable. And it started the spiral that became a nightmare.

Nothing to this point leads me to think we will not get run over by UT. But I still have hope we finish out the season 3-0 or 2-1.

Reaction Score
Was the defense worn down in the 1st half when they gave up almost 250 yards?

We were lucky to get to halftime 14-7

You mean in the half where we had 75 yards offense? Yup.

You guys are expecting Iowa’s defense. We don’t have Iowa’s defense.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to think that top level CFB is changing so rapidly that its a different game even from when Mora took the UConn job. Between NIL, portal, and realignment insanity he can't keep up, especially trying to play the role of DC as well.
I agree. Add to that we are on the outside looking in when it comes to the realignment insanity.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I dont believe anyone thought that kick would have a chance. And I believe many of us didn't think we would get the ball back afterwards. They were running it at will.
The kid (Ruelas) mis hit the ball. It sucked but that happened. It wasn't weather conditions like the Duke game or USF game A kick that far for him (it was McFadden who had been coming up short all season) wasn't a prayer

Of grater importance, at that point, if we were going to win we needed two scores. Believing that our gaining a first down on fourth and seven had a better likelyhood than making that field goal is silly (and if we went that route I imagine half the board would have complained about that decision).

Reaction Score
If it was last years game at 3-5, I would have gone for the fg. At 1-6 with my dline on its heels most of the game., I would have gone for it. It’s just a squad that can’t finish teams off or come from behind on.

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game. JM gave the game away. He was playing too conservative until the 4th quarter. There were yards to gain throwing the ball against a mediocre defense. Attempting a 54 yard FG was a huge mistake. We had a 3 & 20 and got 14 yards to the BC 36. That was a perfect opportunity to go for the first down with a quick sideline route. I’m not saying that JM had more talent to work with than BC, but BC kept messing up in the red zone. BC dominated us in every stat except the scoreboard.

The BC fans were very hospitable and their stadium/campus are very nice. I wish we had an on campus stadium. Unfortunately, we had maybe 1,000 fans in attendance. Very poor showing by Husky nation.

Reaction Score
Why is Cam Ross one of our best weapons on offense returning kickoffs? If he is the only player who can catch one have him fair catch and take it on the 25. Coaching
The 4th down pass to Stafford was comical. That a FBS OC called it and the HC approved is concerning. If we had play actioned the run into the line by Stafford and passed to a TE running a corner route or wideout running a skinney post I would think we have a good coaching staff. Coaching
Having our kicker kick his first FG of the season from 54 yards when we knew we needed to get a TD to win anyways was asinine. Coaching
4th and 5 by BC and on D we have a LB and DB on their TE and tackle who are erased from the play giving BC the first down to run out the game. Coaching

All this said we need to get into a conference for FB. It is on Benedict.
Our DBs made some good one on one tackles today in coverage. They grabbed meat and did not let go. Run support by them was not as good. Durante Jones needs to start hitting runners above the knees and below the waist. His ankle tackle attempts are embarrassing.
Dixon Williams played well and hit hard.
Cam Edwards wants to win.
Roberson needs to run the ball. It was there. He throws high too often.
We did not find a way to get the ball to Joly today. Coaching

Reaction Score
The kid (Ruelas) mis hit the ball. It sucked but that happened. It wasn't weather conditions like the Duke game or USF game A kick that far for him (it was McFadden who had been coming up short all season) wasn't a prayer

Of grater importance, at that point, if we were going to win we needed two scores. Believing that our gaining a first down on fourth and seven had a better likelyhood than making that field goal is silly (and if we went that route I imagine half the board would have complained about that decision).
54 yard field goal? We missed. We were down 7, no? Gave up worse field position then going for it.

pj

Reaction Score
Its insane seeing Kansas success.. They were the dumpster fire of college football for like a decade feels like more ... P5 Money finally got them a coach and players they need. AND bball still matters... Kansas, Duke, UNC showing you can have both. My worry is the Big East collapse is a matter of time ... I'll be shocked if the TV deal pulls through with out Yormark Big12 throwing out incentives... guy is slick.

Kentucky football doing well too.

Reaction Score
It must be. On ESPN website, the cheapest seats are $80 so obviously the Tennesse fans are expecting a game. Other UConn games including today's were less than $20.
They are probably willing to pay to see a game they can't lose.

Reaction Score
I was at the game game today behind the UConn bench. Overall, it was not a physical mismatch at all. The team is more physical than it was 2 years ago. It was a hot day and the defense got gassed as they were on the field a lot. Personally, I think the linebacker play has declined vs last year as they seem to be filling the wrong gaps. That said, the defense did a pretty good job of containing Castellanos who is the #1 rushing QB in FBS as they held him to his lowest rushing total and yard per carry of the season. BC ran the ball 54 times for 243 yards and averaged 4.6 yards per carry which isn't good, but isn't bad given the number of rushing attempts.

It's been discussed already, but the 2 dropped passes in the first half which were easy catches stopped UConn's offense and forced UConn to punt. The drops were the key offensive plays in the first half as not only did they stop UConn's offense, but it meant the defense had to go back onto the field again.

Obviously, there were 2 play calls that were questionable. The pass to Stafford on 4th and 1 was a really bad call. Let him run it and get the 1st down. On the 54 yard field goal, I can see what Mora was trying to do as if UConn made the FG, BC was probably going to start their drive with poor field position after the kickoff and hopefully get UConn the ball back and drive for the winning TD. I wanted UConn to go for it, but I can see the FG logic and Ruelas did make a 54 yard field goal last year. From my vantage point, he seemed to mishit the ball.

As for Charlton and the offense, both need to be better. I do think the lack of RB depth hurt today as Edwards seemed a little gassed with the workload today even though he had a good game. There were 2 key dropped passes and some untimely penalties. There were receivers open today and the line did a decent job with pass protection as there were no sacks. Believe it or not, Charlton is probably the second best OC UConn has had in the post Edsall 1.0 era, but the offense is lacking. If Mora keeps Charlton, he needs to revamp his offense and develop his trick plays so they are run crisply and he needs more talent at the skill positions. Wouldn't you love for UConn to have a big RB? A WR taller than 6 feet that is athletic and has good hands? Maybe 2? A TE that can run and catch that is 250 lbs?

Reaction Score
I agree. Add to that we are on the outside looking in when it comes to the realignment insanity.
We did not and don't belong in the Big 12 as far as football goes and I would rather hoops stick in the Big East if that were the only conference alternative.

I believe the ACC would be more accommodating both football - eventually - and hoops-wise, and that is where we will eventually end up. It might help if we could somehow some way convince Villanova to 'level up' to FBS football simultaneously. That we we'd allow the ACC to keep things even. I do not think 'Nova's football program is too far off.

I'm done blaming Mora for the program's shortfalls. We have discussed ad nauseum the structural impediments that we are facing to fielding an actual-factual FBS D1 football program and at this point to suggest that Mora is anything more than simply the head coach is tilting at windmills. Point being he can rail from the mountaintops about recruiting, funding, NIL, conference affiliation until he's blue in the face but he will never have the clout some of his peers do influence-wise. For things to truly change basically the entire cultural perception of football in the State has to change and that just is not going to happen any time soon.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why is Cam Ross one of our best weapons on offense returning kickoffs? If he is the only player who can catch one have him fair catch and take it on the 25. Coaching
The 4th down pass to Stafford was comical. That a FBS OC called it and the HC approved is concerning. If we had play actioned the run into the line by Stafford and passed to a TE running a corner route or wideout running a skinney post I would think we have a good coaching staff. Coaching
Having our kicker kick his first FG of the season from 54 yards when we knew we needed to get a TD to win anyways was asinine. Coaching
4th and 5 by BC and on D we have a LB and DB on their TE and tackle who are erased from the play giving BC the first down to run out the game. Coaching

All this said we need to get into a conference for FB. It is on Benedict.
Our DBs made some good one on one tackles today in coverage. They grabbed meat and did not let go. Run support by them was not as good. Durante Jones needs to start hitting runners above the knees and below the waist. His ankle tackle attempts are embarrassing.
Dixon Williams played well and hit hard.
Cam Edwards wants to win.
Roberson needs to run the ball. It was there. He throws high too often.
We did not find a way to get the ball to Joly today. Coaching

Yes, It appears Ross is the only person capable of fielding punts and kickoffs. We've seen multiple other players attempt and they showed the wherewithal of a peewee football player.

Reaction Score
The BC fans were very hospitable and their stadium/campus are very nice. I wish we had an on campus stadium. Unfortunately, we had maybe 1,000 fans in attendance. Very poor showing by Husky nation.
I have been going to games at BC for many years. There were more than 1k UConn fans there. Years ago, it was much easier for visiting fans to attend a BC football game than it is now. Visitors used to be able to park on campus or near campus and you could tailgate. Heck, I had friends that brought Winnebagos to games at BC. Now, to park on campus and tailgate, you have to pay $1.5k to $10k+ per season. (And UConn fans complain about donor seating!) The 2 parking garages are thousands of dollars per season and the parking garage was the only tailgating option for the UConn game at if I remember correctly $400 per car.

I brought a group of BC fans to the Rent last year and they raved about the whole experience. Plenty of parking, easy to tailgate, plenty of food and beverage options, easy entry and exit, more comfortable seating,... It would be nice to have an on-campus stadium, but we don't.

Reaction Score
I've watched every game this season, like with previous seasons. Not sure why I keep doing it but here I am.

Despite the record, this team isn't horrible. Gotta make the right personnel and roster adjustments in the off-season.
Yes, It appears Ross is the only person capable of fielding punts and kickoffs. We've seen multiple other players attempt and they showed the wherewithal of a peewee football player.
I agree. Our other punt returner and kickoff returner have not done a very good job. Our special teams coach appears to be forced to use Ross because of poor play by other special teams players.

Reaction Score
Listen man, I understand you have gotten a lot of run out of the “Fire Nick Charelton” bit….and I actually agree, he’s a bad OC.

But BC moved the ball without any resistance today and last week USF did when the game was on the line.

The defense has regressed MASSIVELY this season and at this point is JUST as big a problem than the bad playcalling.
Seen worse

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
It must be. On ESPN website, the cheapest seats are $80 so obviously the Tennesse fans are expecting a game. Other UConn games including today's were less than $20. /s
It's homecoming in Knoxville

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

Not silly. And no the board would have been fine with going for it on 4th down. We needed 2 Scores with a FG and they were tearing through us up on Offense. A sweep by Edwards on 4th beats a FG + a stop

Reaction Score
Another impossibly stupid take.

Look at the time of possession. Your expectations of the defense are ludicrous.

I’m putting you on ignore because you are too stupid to interact with.
It’s both. That’s what losing teams do. They suffer from a cascade of failures … poor schemes, on the field too long due to bad offense which leads to piss tackles, blow assignments, bad angles … it’s all a giant FN cluster with led by a staff that thinks if they just keep it close they can steal win. It’s the save old crap as RE2.

Reaction Score
After that 4th and 1 we should have booked Charlton an Uber and sent his ass back to Maine where he belongs.
I can't watch this until he's gone. Feel bad for the players. Again, they deserve better. It's a broken record with these terrible OC's.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts at this point in the season:

1. Seems like something really negative happened in the offensive room after the NC State game. RB's quit. Things took a few games to heal.
2. Coming into the season, the big concern in the defensive room was the loss of very good LB's. This has been confirmed.
3. Our WR room has to be improved. Not enough separation and creative route running. Way too many drops.
4. OC and ST coaches have to go.
5. Defense tries way too much arm tackling. Gotta get the basics tought.
6. We need a DC; Mora is spread too thin.
7. The first few games I feel like the players (defectors) let the coaches down and the last few games the coaches have let the players down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom