Baylor Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Think Gabby has some hops? 5-11 vs 6-4

12258941.jpeg

Sorry to burst the bubble but that's a misleading pic. If you watch the replay of the opening tip, Gabby jumped well before Mompremier and actually mistimed the ball entirely. Mompremeier waited and easily directed the ball back to a teammate.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The only time Nina Davis was mentioned tonight was when Williams landed on top of her. Is she 100% because she was nonexistent on the court tonight and that's not like her at all..
That's the way she played last season in the NCAA Tournament game in which Baylor was eliminated.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What was the foul that should have been called? Simply landing on someone as far as I know is not a foul in itself.
No, that was a foul that was not called.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The Nurse call was bad but Williams and Davis were both going for a rebound, got tangled up, and landed awkwardly. I didn't think it was a foul at all.
I agree - after rewatching it they were both moving toward each other Gabby in the air, Davis on the floor, they came together and in effect Davis under cut Gabby and they went to the grown. I am very glad neither was hurt on the play. I would not have been surprised with a foul being called on either of the players, but think the no call was probably justified. Even in slow motion it is hard to decide who was at fault.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know how they did it but a great defensive effort was put on Wallace who was raining threes in the first half. I think Jones hurt the game plan by taking over the game. The posts had their way in the paint after halftime. Then, that "advantage" went away. I will have to give Geno credit for a quick time out and the necessary adjustments.
ETT, I am perplexed by some of the strange calls at the end of the game. I thought the first half was called well, in fact, I had to really look hard for Dee Kantner.
I am sorry, GUNS Dangerfield.
The adjustments were 1) For the Wallace perimeter shots instead of the weakside defender having 1 foot in the paint they only help to the paint. Made for an easier closeout. Crystal Saniya, & KLS were all late on the closeout of 4 Wallace Jumpers in the first half. In the second half they were there and she had to put the ball on the deck. 2) First timeout of the second half adjustment was to send help from the baseline side. Even more subtle was that the help came from the Baylor Post defender weak side right hand for Brown and left hand for Mompremier. Yup Geno is pretty much a genius.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Boy was I ever wrong...on the way up to Gampel I told TonyC that UConn would lose by nine...of course, you all know Tony's response...he says, "no way, UConn will win by double digits"...son of a gun if he wasn't right! Now, don't get me wrong I really am happy to have erred on this one. Geno has to be one happy coach after seeing performances by Dangerfield and Butler. What a pleasant surprise those two provided this evening. I don't think Baylor expected to see an "L" after this game. I half thought when Mulkey went across to greet Geno just before the game started and she embraced him and whispered in his ear that her comment went something like this, "I got you this time Geno"... Napheesa and Samuelson played strong games...whoever locked down Nina Davis deserves some kudos because she was technically non-existent. What a great win!!! Impressive! This game ranks up there as one of the best games because most people thought UConn would lose this game... I think we are in for a very exciting season.
Nina pretty much took herself out of the game, very odd. She too only 4 shots and a grabbed couple of rebounds. Meg said that Kim was struggling with her rotations, that a lot of post players to keep happy ( Brown, Cave, Mompremier, Cox). Davis might be the odd-woman out.

Reaction Score
They didn't call a foul when Williams flew in and landed right on top of Davis yet the called a technical when Prince barely pushed Nurse's hand off of her. Sometimes you just have to scratch your head.
If you watch the slow motion replay, Davis is still moving under Williams when she's at the peak of her jump...giving her nowhere to land...looked like a submarine that probably wasn't intentional, but still could've badly injured the airborne player...

Reaction Score
Talk about forever a Husky! Mo helping her successor. Dad, who has reason to not want someone doing better than his daughter, still follows and supports the team and the player. Classy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
12259240.jpg
Not sayin it wasn't a foul but u can go thru any game and find 10 fouls, 5 travels, 7 3 seconds and 2 travels that weren't called. One play doesn't make or break a game. Geno had these girls ready to play...end of story

You mean like this:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Boy was I ever wrong...on the way up to Gampel I told TonyC that UConn would lose by nine...of course, you all know Tony's response...he says, "no way, UConn will win by double digits"...son of a gun if he wasn't right! Now, don't get me wrong I really am happy to have erred on this one. Geno has to be one happy coach after seeing performances by Dangerfield and Butler. What a pleasant surprise those two provided this evening. I don't think Baylor expected to see an "L" after this game. I half thought when Mulkey went across to greet Geno just before the game started and she embraced him and whispered in his ear that her comment went something like this, "I got you this time Geno"... Napheesa and Samuelson played strong games...whoever locked down Nina Davis deserves some kudos because she was technically non-existent. What a great win!!! Impressive! This game ranks up there as one of the best games because most people thought UConn would lose this game... I think we are in for a very exciting season.

This game will be remembered for several reasons. 1. Gabby sitting down within 3 minutes after the tip, All-American Nina Davis being held scoreless, Crystal Dangerfield having her breakout game and UConn winning a big David v Goliath game that no one thought they could win.

Reaction Score
This game will be remembered for several reasons. 1. Gabby sitting down within 3 minutes after the tip, All-American Nina Davis being held scoreless, Crystal Dangerfield having her breakout game and UConn winning a big David v Goliath game that no one thought they could win.
The line favored UConn by 13. UConn won by 11. Clearly lots of people, with skin in the game (read $$$ and not just punditry), thought UConn would win.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I originally thought it was a foul on Davis for undercutting a player in the air until I saw the reply. IT was a Husky that bumped Gabby and Gabby fell on Davis. Both players were just going for a rebound.

Nan, go back and watch the play. Just under the 9:00 minute mark in the 4th quarter you will see the replay, and Williams clearly propelled herself through the air and landed on Davis. That was just "both players going for a rebound." She was not pushed as you claimed. That should have been called a foul.

Reaction Score
Is that Polly sitting next to Morgan behind the bench?

And speaking of Polly, check out this little gem. Apparently she has always striven for higher altitudes.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sorry to burst the bubble but that's a misleading pic. If you watch the replay of the opening tip, Gabby jumped well before Mompremier and actually mistimed the ball entirely. Mompremeier waited and easily directed the ball back to a teammate.

Correct. Still a good picture though. :p

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Who freakin' cares? It's an awesome shot!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nan, go back and watch the play. Just under the 9:00 minute mark in the 4th quarter you will see the replay, and Williams clearly propelled herself through the air and landed on Davis. That was just "both players going for a rebound." She was not pushed as you claimed. That should have been called a foul.

I've rewatched that play multiple times and I respectfully disagree. Davis was not standing there stationary; she was moving across the lane, toward the ball, and this is no different than two players colliding inadvertently while going for a 50-50 loose ball. Gabby's landing on top of Davis made it look more spectacular than the average collision, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a foul.

Now as for that technical on Prince, I was shocked they came to that conclusion after reviewing video of the play.

Reaction Score
I think these ladies will want to pound on LSU after two hard fought contests I would like to see Kyla get a lot more time , Molly have at least 6 pts Natalie have a big game. I would like Chrystal to have a great defensive game and Kia and Chung have 13 pts each . Gabby play 3 quarters with no fouls Lastly get out of LSU with no injuries and a W.

Reaction Score
I think these ladies will want to pound on LSU after two hard fought contests I would like to see Kyla get a lot more time , Molly have at least 6 pts Natalie have a big game. I would like Chrystal to have a great defensive game and Kia and Chung have 13 pts each . Gabby play 3 quarters with no fouls Lastly get out of LSU with no injuries and a W.
I like your comments and would love to see that happen. However, are you misspelling Crystal and Chong intentionally? Just wondering....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Now as for that technical on Prince, I was shocked they came to that conclusion after reviewing video of the play.
They had no choice on review. You can clearly see the ref on the baseline signal a foul. A foul call cannot be negated by video review. And a foul call in a dead ball situation is an automatic 'T'. The most equitable review result they could have come up with would be to call a double foul and if they could discern and aggressive act by Kia, I think they probably would have done that on review, but Kia had not done anything at all in the sequence so they were stuck with a Baylor T.
(And I think the review process took as long as it did because they all realized that it was an unfair result for Baylor and were trying to figure something out that they were allowed to do that wasn't so unfair.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom