Badass Award for UConn vs. Texas Game. . . | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Badass Award for UConn vs. Texas Game. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Yo,Kib ,did you mean "sliding toward participation awards" instead of performance awards?

Good catch! Thanks for reminding me to never again post a message on the Boneyard at 2:42 a.m. :rolleyes:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Not to quibble, Kibbles, but I think you meant to say 26-19. Impactful as she was, she did not accomplish knocking the Horns out of four points they had already scored.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know there are no "Honorable mentions" for this award, BUT......if there were, I thought Natalie Butler was very instrumental in today's win, and deserves a nod.
She came in and throttled Texas' BIGS in the paint. She only had 4 points, but she made huge contributions on defense. She provided the size "balance" UConn needed today. It would have been a long day for the Huskies without Butler's contributions. A tip o' the turban to Natalie Butler. :)

I commented about 2 hours before game today that Napheesa Collier is quietly becoming the star of this team. Lou gets all of the headlines and notoriety, but Collier's consistency is the glue that holds this team together. She's steady as a rock. UConn players are taking turns riding the "roller coaster" on the offensive end with the hot hand. One game it's Napheesa, the next game it's Lou, the last game it was Kia.

Collier has been steady all season. No roller coaster rides for her. She brought her hard hat and lunch pail to work today as usual. Her time card today read: a game high of 24 points - 8 rebounds - 5 huge steals & 2 ast. She played her tail off on the defensive end as well blocking shots and rebounding. That's steady. Today's award was a no brainer. Congratulations to Napheesa & Kia. :D

Somebody else agrees with me......................I wrote my comments BEFORE reading this. This writer sees the same thing I do.

The Go-To Scorer

Collier has led UConn in scoring in three of seven games. The forward who averaged 6.8 points in 17.2 minutes as a freshman reserve has emerged a budding star this season. Her average is 19.0, just behind Samuelson (19.1). She has made 56 of 84 shots (66.7 percent) and leads the team in rebounding (7.1) and blocks (13. She is second in steals (13) and is 5 of 10 on three-pointers after converting just two in 13 attempts last season. At 6-1, Collier has proven to be a gifted scorer in the paint — she rarely misses layups — and her ability to expand her shot selection is taking her game to another level.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Not to quibble, Kibbles, but I think you meant to say 26-19. Impactful as she was, she did not accomplish knocking the Horns out of four points they had already scored.

Thanks. Yet another good catch! Yes, UConn was down 11-17. Then a 15-2 run to make it 26-19, not the 26-13 that I so enthusiastically -- and erroneously -- posted. I regret the error.:oops:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks to Javaman and MJL243 from the Geno on Texas Game Strategy and Natalie Thread:
carl adamec‏@CarlAdamec
Note from @UConnWBB win Sunday: In Natalie Butler's 26 minutes on the floor. the Huskies outscored Texas by 29 points. Final score 72-54.

With 2:36 left in the 3rd quarter with the score 51 to 49 Gen0 sent Natalie in to replace Crystal. The lineup of Kia, Natalie, Gabby, Napheesa and Lou played the rest of the game without substitution until the last minute, when Geno cleared the bench. They outscored Texas 21 to 5.:)

Confirmation about my guess as to Natalie's plus/minus in this game.

Reaction Score
. . . goes to Napheesa Collier and Kia Nurse!

Both demonstrated a combination of grit and glue, holding steady when the going got tough and making clutch plays and shots like, well, Badasses! :):)

I agree with your choices Kibs. I won't be surprised if Pheesa makes one of the AA teams this year with a possible First Team AA next year. I love her demeanor and her skill set. Can post, block shots, shoot the three as well as down low game.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Thanks to Javaman and MJL243 from the Geno on Texas Game Strategy and Natalie Thread:
carl adamec‏@CarlAdamec
Note from @UConnWBB win Sunday: In Natalie Butler's 26 minutes on the floor. the Huskies outscored Texas by 29 points. Final score 72-54.

With 2:36 left in the 3rd quarter with the score 51 to 49 Gen0 sent Natalie in to replace Crystal. The lineup of Kia, Natalie, Gabby, Napheesa and Lou played the rest of the game without substitution until the last minute, when Geno cleared the bench. They outscored Texas 21 to 5.:)

Confirmation about my guess as to Natalie's plus/minus in this game.

Some of Nat's 26 minutes were in the big 15-2 run that started late 1st quarter (@17-11, Baylor), so during her total 26 minutes she compiled +29 points. Not bad, considering that she is immobile, can't jump, yada yada yada:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom