Badass Award for UConn vs. Texas Game. . . | The Boneyard

Badass Award for UConn vs. Texas Game. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Kib. Kia took control in the second quarter, when we grabbed the lead. Pheesa kept making plays all game long. And she showed range on her shot.

Next on my Badass list might be Tina Thompson for holding Coach Aston back. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with Pheeze & Kia, but I will also suggest an honorable mention for Natalie. She didn't fill up the stat sheet, but in a very physical game, she was exactly what the doctor ordered. Nat played big minutes and knocked around TX big posts. She has become Geno's Luca Brasi.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Natalie has been getting more minutes, especially against teams with Size. Holding her own on defense, just have to find her shot. As CD said in the post game interview, have to get Natalie good shots and comfortable on offense (paraphrasing).

Reaction Score
I agree with Pheeze & Kia, but I will also suggest an honorable mention for Natalie. She didn't fill up the stat sheet, but in a very physical game, she was exactly what the doctor ordered. Nat played big minutes and knocked around TX big posts. She has become Geno's Luca Brasi.
But she's not sleeping with the fishes...

Reaction Score
Butler! Not a lot on the stat sheet but I think when she came in the first half she changed the momentum of the game and UConn went on that 13-2 run. She cut down all the easy baskets and banged with their bigs to challenge them over getting easy boards and baskets.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
. . . goes to Napheesa Collier and Kia Nurse!

Both demonstrated a combination of grit and glue, holding steady when the going got tough and making clutch plays and shots like, well, Badasses! :):)

I know there are no "Honorable mentions" for this award, BUT.....................if there were, I thought Natalie Butler was very instrumental in today's win, and deserves a nod.
She came in and throttled Texas' BIGS in the paint. She only had 4 points, but she made huge contributions on defense. She provided the size "balance" UConn needed today. It would have been a long day for the Huskies without Butler's contributions. A tip o' the turban to Natalie Butler. :)

I commented about 2 hours before game today that Napheesa Collier is quietly becoming the star of this team. Lou gets all of the headlines and notoriety, but Collier's consistency is the glue that holds this team together. She's steady as a rock. UConn players are taking turns riding the "roller coaster" on the offensive end with the hot hand. One game it's Napheesa, the next game it's Lou, the last game it was Kia.

Collier has been steady all season.
No roller coaster rides for her. She brought her hard hat and lunch pail to work today as usual. Her time card today read: a game high of 24 points - 8 rebounds - 5 huge steals & 2 ast. She played her tail off on the defensive end as well blocking shots and rebounding. That's steady. Today's award was a no brainer. Congratulations to Napheesa & Kia. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know there are no "Honorable mentions" for this award, BUT......if there were, I thought Natalie Butler was very instrumental in today's win, and deserves a nod.
She came in and throttled Texas' BIGS in the paint. She only had 4 points, but she made huge contributions on defense. She provided the size "balance" UConn needed today. It would have been a long day for the Huskies without Butler's contributions. A tip o' the turban to Natalie Butler. :)

I commented about 2 hours before game today that Napheesa Collier is quietly becoming the star of this team. Lou gets all of the headlines and notoriety, but Collier's consistency is the glue that holds this team together. She's steady as a rock. UConn players are taking turns riding the "roller coaster" on the offensive end with the hot hand. One game it's Napheesa, the next game it's Lou, the last game it was Kia.

Collier has been steady all season.
No roller coaster rides for her. She brought her hard hat and lunch pail to work today as usual. Her time card today read: a game high of 24 points - 8 rebounds - 5 huge steals & 2 ast. She played her tail off on the defensive end as well blocking shots and rebounding. That's steady. Today's award was a no brainer. Congratulations to Napheesa & Kia. :D
Kia is the leader, does the talking, and always brings her hard hat to every game. Her game isn't pretty, but is effective, just what this team needs every game.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that in the fourth quarter, when the game was on the line, Kia and Natalie were both in the game. It shows who Geno trusts. It's too bad he isn't as smart as some Boneyarders.:rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
Just back from the cheap seats! I thought Butler really made a difference and played as tough as I have seen her. I kinda thought she would get the second Badass award. Cant deny Kia's effort either tho.

Reaction Score
I couldn't watch more than snippets of this game. I heard afterwards that KLS was out most of the first half. Is that right? What happened to her?

Did they say that Crystal was held out of more minutes out of concern for her concussion recovery? She's been relatively quiet the past two games since she returned.

Reaction Score
Kia is the heart and fire of the team and Napheesa is the glue and consistency. That has the potential to be a lethal combination when the time comes against some ranked opponents. Both had really good games on both ends!

Butler's improvements and contributions can't be ignored either. She played extremely well for the most part and her D made a difference for us today. It was really nice to see her get some good minutes to get her settled and hopefully bet the ball rolling for some even bigger improvements down the line. I wouldn't call it a pretty game by any means, but it had it's pretty moments.

Reaction Score
I couldn't watch more than snippets of this game. I heard afterwards that KLS was out most of the first half. Is that right? What happened to her?

Did they say that Crystal was held out of more minutes out of concern for her concussion recovery? She's been relatively quiet the past two games since she returned.
Yep. She sat the majority of the first half after her flagrant 1. She struggled the minutes she played in the first half, and as a result, she sat. The subs played nicely though, and Napheesa really came through with hot hands and some good buckets.

Reaction Score
We just got home from the game and I join the chorus applauding Natalie's game today. It might not have been the "breakout game" I wished for on another thread, but she solidified her role today in my eyes.

I have never sat so close to a game in my life and we had a great time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom