Bad news for Tennessee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bad news for Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Oh geeeze, I left off a game and it was an obvious win. 5-3. Deal with it.

I don't understand the issue and certainly don't understand why you responded in that manner. I asked you for clarity instead of making assumptions, which is the right thing to do. Why the hostility? Is it that difficult to have a civil exchange? I stated that you said 4 - 3 and also stated that there were 8 games, so I asked if you meant 4 -4 or 5 - 3. How could I guess being that I didn't even know which team you left out of your prediction? It's always best to ask the source and not to imply, which is something that I know you don't like, because you're big on saying "show me where I said that." You've made it clear that you don't like being misquoted.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't understand the issue and certainly don't understand why you responded in that manner. I asked you for clarity instead of making assumptions, which is the right thing to do. Why the hostility? Is it that difficult to have a civil exchange? I stated that you said 4 - 3 and also stated that there were 8 games, so I asked if you meant 4 -4 or 5 - 3. How could I guess being that I didn't even know which team you left out of your prediction? It's always best to ask the source and not to imply, which is something that I know you don't like, because you're big on saying "show me where I said that." You've made it clear that you don't like being misquoted.

You said "No. You said 4 - 3, but don't worry."

I had already clarified that I miscounted and should have said 5-3. I said that the last time you brought this up. So, what is annoying and why I replied in that manner is that you seemed to have ignored that I already claried the 4-3 that should have been 5-3.

You are good at finding quotes. I'm sure you can find where I did that.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
You said "No. You said 4 - 3, but don't worry."

I had already clarified that I miscounted and should have said 5-3. I said that the last time you brought this up. So, what is annoying and why I replied in that manner is that you seemed to have ignored that I already claried the 4-3 that should have been 5-3.

You are good at finding quotes. I'm sure you can find where I did that.

Obviously, since I asked you if you meant 5 -3 or 4 -4, I either didn't see it or I didn't recall it. I didn't want to misquote you, so I took it to the source. Regardless, we are now ready to start counting the next 8 games and inputting digits into the W/L column. Let the games begin and we shall see how that turns out. Only time will tell.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Obviously, since I asked you if you meant 5 -3 or 4 -4, I either didn't see it or I didn't recall it. I didn't want to misquote you, so I took it to the source. Regardless, we are now ready to start counting the next 8 games and inputting digits into the W/L column. Let the games begin and we shall see how that turns out. Only time will tell.

4-4 for me.

L - @ #18 South Carolina
L - #10 Georgia
W - Missouri
W - @Florida
W - @ Auburn
W - Alabama
L - @ Vandy
L - #5 Notre Dame

7-1 for you.

? - @ #18 South Carolina
? - #10 Georgia
? - Missouri
? - @Florida
? - @ Auburn
? - Alabama
? - @ Vandy
? - #5 Notre Dame

Care to fill in the question marks?

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
4-4 for me.

L - @ #18 South Carolina
L - #10 Georgia
W - Missouri
W - @Florida
W - @ Auburn
W - Alabama
L - @ Vandy
L - #5 Notre Dame

7-1 for you.

? - @ #18 South Carolina
? - #10 Georgia
? - Missouri
? - @Florida
? - @ Auburn
? - Alabama
? - @ Vandy
? - #5 Notre Dame

They have the talent and ability to beat them all when playing their game, but will have a slip up, as young teams do, along the way. That's my reason for not picking a game. I expect young teams to lose focus at times. If they play true to their ability and no more INJURIES, they will win 'em all.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Here's what Realtimerpi shows

01-03 at South Carolina 12-1 (0-0) 24 72-74 L - Scouting
01-06 Georgia 12-1 (0-0) 27 63-59 W - Scouting
01-10 Missouri 11-3 (0-0) 93 83-61 W - Scouting
01-13 at Florida 11-3 (0-0) 30 74-72 W - Scouting
01-17 at Auburn 11-2 (0-0) 79 75-70 W - Scouting
01-20 Alabama 10-3 (0-0) 104 84-60 W - Scouting
01-24 at Vanderbilt 10-3 (0-0) 17 74-73 W - Scouting
01-28 Notre Dame 11-1 (0-0) 10 75-67 W - Scouting

Another interesting observation is that the same site projects UConn to beat ND by 40.

Reaction Score
They have the talent and ability to beat them all when playing their game, but will have a slip up, as young teams do, along the way.

If, by "their game" you mean how they usually play, I couldn't disagree more. If, however you refer to the absolute best they can be then perhaps they can win them all.

LV fans have been wondering for years now why they haven't played up to their " talent and ability ".

Maybe they have.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If Realtimerpi has UConn winning Saturday by 40, I would take their UTenn prognostications with a grain of salt.
Anyone believe in the tooth fairy?

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
If, by "their game" you mean how they usually play, I couldn't disagree more. If, however you refer to the absolute best they can be then perhaps they can win them all.

LV fans have been wondering for years now why they haven't played up to their " talent and ability ".

Maybe they have.

Knowledgeable Lady Vol fans realize they sustained too many injuries to key positions and they finished about where they should have. The injury depleted roster had alot to do with what they achieved. The team was built to be anchored by Kelley and Vicki. Both were plagued by injuires. The point guard spot was to be led by Cait and Avant, but both had their careers halted due to injury, leaving TN with point guards that had never played the position prior to arrival at TN. Success is as much dependent on remaining injury free, as anything else. At the end of the season, TN played Baylor just as well as every other lucky loser, but unfortunately they lost enough games along the way to land in Baylor's bracket again. The only fans wondering why they didn't make it further are the ones that unrealistically think any player can be replaced and not skip a beat.

Try removing Dolson (true center), Stewart (athletic, long forward), Hartley (starting point guard), and Jefferson (back up point guard). Move KML and Banks to share point guard duties and make your 6'2" Tuck the center. Then lose Faris to almost fatal incident. This is pretty much what happened to TN and you reach a point where you can't hide the gaping holes.

As for this year, fans feel this team is well on their way to being a really good team with a realistic shot at making the E8 and being a top 5 team next year.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
If Realtimerpi has UConn winning Saturday by 40, I would take their UTenn prognostications with a grain of salt.
Anyone believe in the tooth fairy?

The margin is ridiculous, but they're right more times than not about the Wins vs. Losses.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Knowledgeable Lady Vol fans realize they sustained too many injuries to key positions and they finished about where they should have. The injury depleted roster had alot to do with what they achieved. The team was built to be anchored by Kelley and Vicki. Both were plagued by injuires. The point guard spot was to be led by Cait and Avant, but both had their careers halted due to injury, leaving TN with point guards that had never played the position prior to arrival at TN. Success is as much dependent on remaining injury free, as anything else. At the end of the season, TN played Baylor just as well as every other lucky loser, but unfortunately they lost enough games along the way to land in Baylor's bracket again. The only fans wondering why they didn't make it further are the ones that unrealistically think any player can be replaced and not skip a beat.

Try removing Dolson (true center), Stewart (athletic, long forward), Hartley (starting point guard), and Jefferson (back up point guard). Move KML and Banks to share point guard duties and make your 6'2" Tuck the center. Then lose Faris to almost fatal incident. This is pretty much what happened to TN and you reach a point where you can't hide the gaping holes.

As for this year, fans feel this team is well on their way to being a really good team with a realistic shot at making the E8 and being a top 5 team next year.

First it was "baby vols" and youth that was the reason for them not performing to their "expected" level. Then it was injuries.

We are back to youth AND injuries.

They are what they are.

Reaction Score
They have the talent and ability to beat them all when playing their game, but will have a slip up, as young teams do, along the way. That's my reason for not picking a game. I expect young teams to lose focus at times. If they play true to their ability and no more INJURIES, they will win 'em all.
ESPN News: DD SURGES AHEAD: This latest turn in the pre-contest sparring makes DD the winner . The unwillingness of Justavisitor to predict the single loss turned the Pre Contests Sparing Event, in DD's favor. Lagging behind because of the number of games discrepancy, DD made a stunning comeback on the eve of the first game in the series.

Reaction Score

There's no denying that Tenn has had players go down over the last 4 years. That doesn't change the fact that many LV fans have been saying that the team lacks "heart" every time they lose a game. H*ll, even the coaches have said that after many games for the last few years. I'm simply suggesting that those comments were due to over-exuberant expectations. I've read posts lately that favorably compare Russell to Parker. Too many LV fans are trying to wish themselves another NC with statements like that.

I also agree with you that barring further injuries the LV's can realistically be considered an E8 team. But there is a large gulf between E8 and FF. Getting to the E8, if you are a 1-4 seed, means you have to beat teams seeded 5+, which are teams ranked 17+. That isn't exactly top notch competition. If Tenn is a 3 or 4 seed they will face a 5 or 6 seed in the S16. If they manage a 2 seed they would face a 7 seed, which is a team currently unranked. My own feeling, which I stated prior to the season, is that Tenn was young & undersized, not only in terms of height, but also in physical strength, and that the season would wear down their young frontcourt. Unfortunately they have also lost 2 starters to injury. Hopefully they get Burdick back for March. But her absence only puts more of a paint burden on Harrison and makes my prediction more likely.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
4-4 for me.

L - @ #18 South Carolina
L - #10 Georgia
W - Missouri
W - @Florida
W - @ Auburn
W - Alabama
L - @ Vandy
L - #5 Notre Dame

7-1 for you.

? - @ #18 South Carolina
? - #10 Georgia
? - Missouri
? - @Florida
? - @ Auburn
? - Alabama
? - @ Vandy
? - #5 Notre Dame

Not a good start for the Dogster....looks like Tennessee will handle USC. Nice game by them tonight. I may have to rethink how highly I value some of these SEC teams. USC is not very good. I have no idea how they played Stanford so close.

Reaction Score
There's no denying that Tenn has had players go down over the last 4 years. That doesn't change the fact that many LV fans have been saying that the team lacks "heart" every time they lose a game. H*ll, even the coaches have said that after many games for the last few years. I'm simply suggesting that those comments were due to over-exuberant expectations. I've read posts lately that favorably compare Russell to Parker. Too many LV fans are trying to wish themselves another NC with statements like that.

I also agree with you that barring further injuries the LV's can realistically be considered an E8 team. But there is a large gulf between E8 and FF. Getting to the E8, if you are a 1-4 seed, means you have to beat teams seeded 5+, which are teams ranked 17+. That isn't exactly top notch competition. If Tenn is a 3 or 4 seed they will face a 5 or 6 seed in the S16. If they manage a 2 seed they would face a 7 seed, which is a team currently unranked. My own feeling, which I stated prior to the season, is that Tenn was young & undersized, not only in terms of height, but also in physical strength, and that the season would wear down their young frontcourt. Unfortunately they have also lost 2 starters to injury. Hopefully they get Burdick back for March. But her absence only puts more of a paint burden on Harrison and makes my prediction more likely.

Actually making the elite 8 would mean you're(supposed to be) a 1or 2 seed not 4. Which means beating teams ranked 9+. 1to4 seed would be sweet sixteen. But this team is playing elite 8 ball with FF potential based on bracketing.

Reaction Score
UT has been second rate for 15 years except for the Parker years when they made the FFs and won. Compare their 15 year record and ours, we don't lose to BALL STATE in the Dance!!!!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually making the elite 8 would mean you're(supposed to be) a 1or 2 seed not 4. Which means beating teams ranked 9+. 1to4 seed would be sweet sixteen. But this team is playing elite 8 ball with FF potential based on bracketing.
I think he meant the teams were in the rankings 1-4. the teams ranked 5-8 are the ones generally who receive the 2 seeds and are expected to make the elite 8.

I also agree Tennessee should make the sweet 16, and they have a 50-50 chance to make the elite 8. I could see them losing, tho, to a team like PSU, Maryland, etc. we will see where they end up ranked at the end of the year and if they get a 2 or a 3 seed.

Reaction Score
I think he meant the teams were in the rankings 1-4. the teams ranked 5-8 are the ones generally who receive the 2 seeds and are expected to make the elite 8.

I also agree Tennessee should make the sweet 16, and they have a 50-50 chance to make the elite 8. I could see them losing, tho, to a team like PSU, Maryland, etc. we will see where they end up ranked at the end of the year and if they get a 2 or a 3 seed.

Dont be surprised if they have 8 to 11 losses entering March Madness!
The only question is how over rated is the SEC??
Ira

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Dont be surprised if they have 8 to 11 losses entering March Madness!
The only question is how over rated is the SEC?? Ira
Tennessee won't have more than 6 losses by the end of SEC play. I hate to admit it but they are much better than I thought, at least so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom