Back 2 Sports: Class of 21 and 22 are a disaster | The Boneyard

Back 2 Sports: Class of 21 and 22 are a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would rephrase this thread title. Class of 21 and 22 have had disasters happen to them. That doesn't make them disasters themselves. I just feel for these kids, along with the seniors who, as Geno put it the other day, have known nothing but playing in front of nobody (bubble year) and playing shorthanded.

Reaction Score
I am hopeful that someone on the team or coaching staff realizes they can not win against big teams without Amari. Maybe Paige needs to have a sit down with her and explain the importance of her busting her butt in practice to appease Geno. Amari was a top 5 recruit right? I would hope there is something to salvage there.

Reaction Score
I am hopeful that someone on the team or coaching staff realizes they can not win against big teams without Amari. Maybe Paige needs to have a sit down with her and explain the importance of her busting her butt in practice to appease Geno. Amari was a top 5 recruit right? I would hope there is something to salvage there.
Amari is well into her junior year. By this point as Geno likes to say you are what you are.

Reaction Score

Amari has showed nothing in games, and it’s very clear that she has shown very little in practice. Geno would love to be able to play her but it’s obvious that he can’t.

I’m sure Geno has had a number of sit downs with her, but why should someone have to explain to her the importance of working hard in practice. And why would the reason for working hard be to “appease Geno”?

Your post makes it clear why she does not get playing time.

sun

Reaction Score
Amari has showed nothing in games, and it’s very clear that she has shown very little in practice. Geno would love to be able to play her but it’s obvious that he can’t.

I’m sure Geno has had a number of sit downs with her, but why should someone have to explain to her the importance of working hard in practice. And why would the reason for working hard be to “appease Geno”?

That insinuates that Ines is also a slacker which doesn't mesh with her improved physiquie this year, or her performance in the FIBA finals in August.

Reaction Score
That insinuates that Ines is also a slacker which doesn't mesh with her improved physiquie this year, or her performance in the FIBA finals in August.

Actually it doesn't insinuate that. Perhaps that is your own feeling coming out. Having watched Ines play, it is clear she isn't at the same skill level as the other UConn guards.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to "go for broke" with Amari - have her in there. Tough love under game conditions, maybe that would ignite her passion. I'm sure deep down in she would love to define her skills and start contributing in a positive fashion. You know her teammates would respond in a big way.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to "go for broke" with Amari - have her in there. Tough love under game conditions, maybe that would ignite her passion. I'm sure deep down in she would love to define her skills and start contributing in a positive fashion. You know her teammates would respond in a big way.
She would be taking court time from freshmen that have showed a willingness to play hard in practice and in games, and who have played productive minutes in their first 8 games. Amari has been her for 2+ years and hasn’t produced what the freshmen have. Why should Geno take developmental time from the frosh for Amari? Ines has done about what Amari has, or better, in half the minutes

05D65C4A-AD01-4D0E-8C20-1EAC95A9FF66.jpeg

Reaction Score
She would be taking court time from freshmen that have showed a willingness to play hard in practice and in games, and who have played productive minutes in their first 8 games. Amari has been her for 2+ years and hasn’t produced what the freshmen have. Why should Geno take developmental time from the frosh for Amari? Ines has done about what Amari has, or better, in half the minutes

View attachment 93888

Yes, I know that is a consequence of more PT for Amari. But I am concerned about trying to realize more productivity from down low in the paint area. Given the current situation, if there is any hope for March, we have to find out soon....from the few that we have available.

Reaction Score
We don't have a clue how hard she works or practices. We know that Geno would not allow someone to remain on the team if they did not " work hard." The issue with Amari is that she has had many chances to show her skills. And she remains on the bench. What does that tell you?

Reaction Score
Surely you jest.

Reaction Score
We don't have a clue how hard she works or practices. We know that Geno would not allow someone to remain on the team if they did not " work hard." The issue with Amari is that she has had many chances to show her skills. And she remains on the bench. What does that tell you?

I know what it tells me. But I sense desperate times.....

Reaction Score
I think desperate times is a fair statement that applies, but still the reality is we don't have a big alternative Geno wants to use.. Whether we are playing a great team, a big team or whatever, we will have to beat them with small ball largely with inexperienced but talented players. If that doesn't work we don't really have a plan B to counter talented size.

We can try to play fast against them, get some steals and hopefully make a ton of 3's, but we just won't be a very good rebounding team, and will probably struggle defending talented true C types. I was never a four out or small ball proponent but now I hope we can play that well because it is all we have.

Reaction Score
However, if someone were to tell you with advance notice that you had inside information that UCONN wasn't going to go past the 2nd round (granted no one could know that) of the NCAA this year (as an example) would you care to follow them then this year?

If so, --- why?
I am not arguing with you at the moment. Just wondering why you would personally follow them if you 100% knew that they weren't going past 2nd round.

Reaction Score
Interesting YouTube article:

I never realized how highly rated these two classes were.

I would rephrase this article The reason you don't recruit and go all in on injured high school players, especially those with a history of injuries as is the case with Azzi and Caroline, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it ain't a mongoose or like Maya Angelou said "Once people show you who they believe them" and they have shown they are prone to injury and not reliable. Uconn has to face facts and move on. The narrative next year should not be finally a healthy Fudd and Paige will hopefully lead Uconn to a chip with a healthy Caroline and healthy Patterson we should not place our faith on the hope that 3 players can stay healthy and help us reach the promised land..

Reaction Score

Stamford: I hope you have input from the coaching staff on DeBerry's production/effort in practice. I know she seems lost in games. I often ask, when she is in the game--is that really where Geno wants a 6 ft 5?
You are correct, I assume, after 3 plus years --she is what she is. We can only hope.

Reaction Score

View attachment 93888
It comes out Ameri--just doesn't want to play Uconn way? I haven't seen anything that states that. Stevens Azure (sp) a transfer. Was, as I assume DeBerry was in HS, a forward--Geno tried to make Stevens into a Post--how well did that work. In the excitement of the game she'd fall back to her comfort zone. Is that Deberry? I like stubborn, I hate stubborn. One of each on different occasions. I can't wrap my mind around a stubborn Ameri. Nika for certain.. I have wishes for DeBerry, I have compassion for her--she may be a legal adult--but not inside, inside the kid hides. (that is true of all of us)
Geno stated maybe 20 years ago:: Freshmen get the most attention then sophs, then juniors--Seniors are expected to lead and assist coaching..

Reaction Score
I know Amari had back surgery this past summer to repair a disk. I don't know how long that has been an issue before being fixed. It certainly has set her back last year and lost any chance she had this summer to improve. I haven't lost hope for her and feel for her but time is running out for sure. I know she doesn't seem ready to contribute yet against tough teams but hopefully she can get minutes of experience against the rest of the schedule. She was told by Geno she had to be ready to play against Stanford in the final four. She played and contributed. It's in there. I hope Geno can find a way to release it because the team needs her to contribute.

Reaction Score
I know Amari had back surgery this past summer to repair a disk. I don't know how long that has been an issue before being fixed. It certainly has set her back last year and lost any chance she had this summer to improve. I haven't lost hope for her and feel for her but time is running out for sure. I know she doesn't seem ready to contribute yet against tough teams but hopefully she can get minutes of experience against the rest of the schedule. She was told by Geno she had to be ready to play against Stanford in the final four. She played and contributed. It's in there. I hope Geno can find a way to release it because the team needs her to contribute.
She didn't play vs Stanford. It was SC. She played 4 minutes 0-1 from the floor no rebounds, 1 personal foul. 1 turnover.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
She is third of the way through her junior year. She seems not to have an aggressive bone in her body. Geno certainly understands how much having an effective kid her size would help. Just to rebound and block shots. Especially with the unavailable other bigs, not to mention freeing Aaliyah.
Kia Stokes impacted games without having to score very much. I think unless some light goes on, talking about getting Amari to be even a suitable sub is kind of a waste of time. I would love to be wrong.

Reaction Score

She is what she is. I don't think you are going to get any more from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom