Back 2 Sports: Class of 21 and 22 are a disaster | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Back 2 Sports: Class of 21 and 22 are a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
…obviously she isn't inspired by Geno. The reason I have hope is because when Geno was out last year with sickness CD filled in for him and Amari player really well for her.

Amari may not be the savior but she is the only player on the roster with any height at all and UConn needs height on the floor.
Did she, though? She had a decent game against Seton Hall but otherwise not so much. CD coached Florida State last year (Amari DNP), Seton Hall, Butler (bottom of the Big East), and Xavier. Here are Amari’s stats. This year’s team needs rebounding and interior defense. In 212 minutes all last season, Amari had 43 TOTAL rebounds. Aubrey has played 209 minutes so far this year and has 59 rebounds - and she’s only 6-1.

As for defense, I would love to see Amari move her feet and put a body on the offensive player but she tends to reach in instead. I would be ecstatic if she morphed into, not necessary Tina but some version of Jess Moore or Schuie. They were pretty fierce on the court. I just don’t see how one person can change that much that quickly.

2C85719C-3C25-45AB-A67B-FACDEFF663A8.jpeg
0B42CF39-F7D9-4B7B-9435-16E0B6B67749.jpeg

Reaction Score
I don't agree with your assessment of Geno. I think when you get in his doghouse you live there until you graduate.

True for the ones who don't get better in practice, but certainly not true for every player.

Reaction Score
Interesting summary & perspective.

There was also Piath Gabriel too who I believe went to UMass.

She too was a "big", but did little her freshman year.

Piath did little during both her freshman and sophomore years. Then she did very little last year at UMass, averaging 4 mpg. She is now at Portland, where she has to sit out this year due to her second transfer. Hopefully she can earn playing time next year and then petition the NCAA to be allowed to play in her sixth season in college.

Reaction Score
Stamford: I hope you have input from the coaching staff on DeBerry's production/effort in practice. I know she seems lost in games. I often ask, when she is in the game--is that really where Geno wants a 6 ft 5?
You are correct, I assume, after 3 plus years --she is what she is. We can only hope.
Coach has said a million times, he can't coach motivation, commitment and hard work. Those characteristics are assumed for anyone who wanted to play at UCONN. I will tell you right now that the lead gym rat this season is Ash Shade. And her game and minutes are reflecting that. I don't know a thing about DeBerry. But she would not b such a welcomed teammate if she wasn't working hard. I don't think her work ethic is the problem.

Reaction Score
Piath did little during both her freshman and sophomore years. Then she did very little last year at UMass, averaging 4 mpg. She is now at Portland, where she has to sit out this year due to her second transfer. Hopefully she can earn playing time next year and then petition the NCAA to be allowed to play in her sixth season in college.
Piath was also not a highly regarded recruit. She was a gamble, because UCONN was having little luck attracting players of size. It just didn't;t work out here.

Reaction Score
Yes, I know that is a consequence of more PT for Amari. But I am concerned about trying to realize more productivity from down low in the paint area. Given the current situation, if there is any hope for March, we have to find out soon....from the few that we have available.
Jana and Ice were the plan.. to help Edwards in the paint. Jana got that injury and Ice is slow to develop. Given that she hasn't played in two years, and is recovering from serious injury, that is not surprising. And the plan was also to have AZZI and Caroline draining threes to spread out the paint area. Ding again. At some point, the well runs dry.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jana and Ice were the plan.. to help Edwards in the paint. Jana got that injury and Ice is slow to develop. Given that she hasn't played in two years, and is recovering from serious injury, that is not surprising. And the plan was also to have AZZI and Caroline draining threes to spread out the paint area. Ding again. At some point, the well runs dry.
And a healthy Ayanna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog