B1G to play Big East in conference hoops series. | The Boneyard

B1G to play Big East in conference hoops series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
ykq3iuthy0ecnvtwkuu5_normal.jpeg
Brian Hamilton (@BrianHamiltonSI)
5/4/14, 4:59 PM
New Big Ten/Big East hoops series, to be announced Monday, will be tipoff/first week event. Called Gavitt Games, honoring late Dave Gavitt.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Was about to link. What a slap in the face.... and of course everyone is and will be treating this like it's the old Big East.

Although, this should be hilarious and show just how worthless the Big East is now. B1G only stands to look good from this series over the next 5 years.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's a coup for the Big East - no way to spin that.

For all of Aresco's babble, no one will partner with the AAC with the gristle at the bottom of the conference. The Big East may be lousy at the bottom, but at least there's some name recognition there.

Reaction Score
It makes sense since there are some good local match ups. GT/MD, Neb./Creighton,
Marq/Wisconsin, OHio St./Xavier etc. Good for BB!

I just hope we add at least one if not two more top 30 teams to our schedule next year.

Reaction Score
It makes sense since there are some good local match ups. GT/MD, Neb./Creighton,

I just hope we add at least one if not two more top 30 teams to our schedule next year.

Yeah, add SHU/RU, IU/Butler, DP/Northwestern, PSU/Nova. SJU would work well with Michigan as tons of UM Alumni in NYC. Providence and Minnesota have the Pitino connection.

Now that I think of it, it's actually an interesting event.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's a coup for the Big East - no way to spin that.

For all of Aresco's babble, no one will partner with the AAC with the gristle at the bottom of the conference. The Big East may be lousy at the bottom, but at least there's some name recognition there.
Aresco can always try to sell a series between the best of the AAC and Tobacco Road. If you don't look past school #4 the AAC looks pretty solid.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Aresco can always try to sell a series between the best of the AAC and Tobacco Road. If you don't look past school #4 the AAC looks pretty solid.

Mike Aresco will pitch a series that immediately cuts out 2/3rds of his conference right after Hell freezes over. And the ACC will return Aresco's call the day after that.

Reaction Score
I think UConn needs to schedule as many big time opponents as they can in NYC. It's great exposure and big names are much more likely to come if it isn't an away game...even though it really is as the sweet 16/elite 8 showed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Mike Aresco will pitch a series that immediately cuts out 2/3rds of his conference right after Hell freezes over. And the ACC will return Aresco's call the day after that.
You need to activate your sarcasm filter.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FOX. Don't try to explain it any other way. It's a desperate attempt to juice the FS1 ratings for BE games.

Don't worry. ESPN will completely ignore it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought the AAC and Big East were equivalent leagues. Half this board said they were equivalent leagues. Has the thinking changed on that?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought the AAC and Big East were equivalent leagues. Half this board said they were equivalent leagues. Has the thinking changed on that?
Well it's hard to call them equivalent since one of them is home to the national champions and the other...is not.

on edit: Dang it TRest!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
One of them will never have the defending national champion as a member.

I'll go one step further, just for fun: The American has the NCAA Champion from three of the last four years (even if we'll lose one of them in about a month), and the new Big East hasn't won it since 1985. That's right; 1985. Reagan was beginning his second term, Mike Tyson fought his first professional fight, and the shuttle Challenger disaster hadn't happened yet.

New Big East.....tradition!....

Reaction Score

UConn. Vs St Johns

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
American went 9-3 in the NCAA tournament

Big East went 2-4

American went 4-1 in the NIT

Big East went 1-2

But yea Nelson the BE was the better league last year.

Ah. So the AAC is the better league for UConn only because UConn and Louisville are in the AAC. That is excellent logic, especially since Louisville is leaving.

Actually, future AAC teams (not counting Louisville or UConn), went 1-3 in the NCAA Tournament. If UConn was in the Big East, the Big East would have gone 8-4.

I think you should type your logic up in an email and send it to Delaney, because he seems to be under the mistaken belief that the Big East is the better conference and worthy of an annual series.

Reaction Score
American went 9-3 in the NCAA tournament

Big East went 2-4

American went 4-1 in the NIT

Big East went 1-2

But yea Nelson the BE was the better league last year.

Remember, you're arguing with the same guy who thinks that Georgetown is a top 10 team next year, and "played well" at the end of this year on their way to the NIT.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Remember, you're arguing with the same guy who thinks that Georgetown is a top 10 team next year, and "played well" at the end of this year on their way to the NIT.

I have a few things going for me on this one, including the fact that Jim Delaney agrees with me.

Reaction Score
Yeah, both conferences are owned by Fox. Is there anything else?

Reaction Score
This was put together by the Big Ten, from what I've heard (although they obviously didn't have to finish their sentence before the Big East said, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!)

It's part of the Big Ten's branding strategy to continue increasing exposure on the East coast. I still say... UConn, you're on the clock :)

Reaction Score
The Big 10 can do all it wants. Fact is, the only brand that matters in the Northeast that carries any weight is the reigning national champs! This announcement and these games will barely move the needle. In my opinion, this helps UConn. The harder Delaney tries, the more he will recognize what/who he needs to succeed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, both conferences are owned by Fox. Is there anything else?

Ohh. You mean this deal doesn't count because the Big East has a television partner that will pull strings to help the league succeed while the AAC's television partner undermines the league every chance it gets? Does this help or hurt the argument that the Big East is a stronger league than the AAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom