B1G to play Big East in conference hoops series. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G to play Big East in conference hoops series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The best team in the BE was Villanova, which basically provided no resistance against UConn.

Removing Louisville, Rutgers and UConn from this equation, how did Cincy and SMU do against UConn (the #2 and 3 teams)? They were 2-3.

Reaction Score
OK fine - the AAC will never have a conference vs. conference matchup like this. Really, stinks for Temple, Cincy, South Florida, etc. and I suppose that ultimately hurts us in the sense that those teams miss out on a chance to improve their SOS, which hurts our SOS in a roundabout way. But with or without an arrangement like this, are we having any trouble putting together a non-conference schedule these days?

Reaction Score
Ah. So the AAC is the better league for UConn only because UConn and Louisville are in the AAC. That is excellent logic, especially since Louisville is leaving.

Actually, future AAC teams (not counting Louisville or UConn), went 1-3 in the NCAA Tournament. If UConn was in the Big East, the Big East would have gone 8-4.

I think you should type your logic up in an email and send it to Delaney, because he seems to be under the mistaken belief that the Big East is the better conference and worthy of an annual series.
You are just not that bright. Really that is all it comes down to.

Reaction Score
The only guaranteed win for the new Big East, in this series with the B1G, is for the team that draws Rutgers.

Reaction Score
The only guaranteed win for the new Big East, in this series with the B1G, is for the team that draws Rutgers.
St. Johns vs Rutgers wouldn't even sell out Carnasecca Gym.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I realize that Wauylon misses our annual tete a tete's with Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence but the reality is that the top of the new BE is not any better than the top of the AAC (even without us) and there really isn't that much of a dropoff from the bottom feeders of the NBE to the lower half of the AAC.

The biggest part of this equation however (which the fact of this is our biggest obstacle in getting to a better home) is that football does matter, we don't have the cachet, history or fanbase to survive in football as an independent and the NBE does not field a football conference.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 can do all it wants. Fact is, the only brand that matters in the Northeast that carries any weight is the reigning national champs! This announcement and these games will barely move the needle. In my opinion, this helps UConn. The harder Delaney tries, the more he will recognize what/who he needs to succeed.

I disagree on the games barely moving the needle. That said, just because you might not be able to hit a home run every time you step to the plate doesn't mean you shouldn't try to at least hit singles.

I don't think the Big Ten is approaching this as anything near a home run. They're just looking for many ways to brand themselves on the East coast and this is one of many ways.

Reaction Score
I disagree on the games barely moving the needle. That said, just because you might not be able to hit a home run every time you step to the plate doesn't mean you shouldn't try to at least hit singles.

I don't think the Big Ten is approaching this as anything near a home run. They're just looking for many ways to brand themselves on the East coast and this is one of many ways.
To me, this is barely hitting a single. Its more of a ground out. If they want to strengthen their brand, have Mich State play UConn at the garden for a rematch of last years elite eight. Michigan State can wear the home whites.
Instead, what I find interesting is Delaney's attempt to strengthen its northeast footprint through hoops..........................that can only mean one thing!!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I realize that Wauylon misses our annual tete a tete's with Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence but the reality is that the top of the new BE is not any better than the top of the AAC (even without us) and there really isn't that much of a dropoff from the bottom feeders of the NBE to the lower half of the AAC.

Oh, I must have missed the press release about the Big 10/AAC Challenge. Could you provide a link?

Reaction Score
To me, this is barely hitting a single. Its more of a ground out. If they want to strengthen their brand, have Mich State play UConn at the garden for a rematch of last years elite eight. Michigan State can wear the home whites.
Instead, what I find interesting is Delaney's attempt to strengthen its northeast footprint through hoops......that can only mean one thing!!!!

Why? Their goal is to get more news coverage on the East coast. You don't think playing St. John's, Providence, Villanova, Seton Hall and Georgetown almost every year will do that? They're just looking for more press clippings in newspapers and more bumpers on the local news. This will do exactly that. It's not expected to suddenly change hearts and minds, it's just a subtle way of getting more media exposure. That's the goal and it will accomplish this.

This is by no means the end. It's probably just the beginning of their campaign. And yes, this, coupled with the opening of the NYC office and D.C. satellite office, along with many other reasons, is why I don't think they're done expanding to the East. And it's also why I think UConn is sitting in a good position if the Big Ten finds another workable party for No. 16+.

Reaction Score
Why? Their goal is to get more news coverage on the East coast. You don't think playing St. John's, Providence, Villanova, Seton Hall and Georgetown almost every year will do that? They're just looking for more press clippings in newspapers and more bumpers on the local news. This will do exactly that. It's not expected to suddenly change hearts and minds, it's just a subtle way of getting more media exposure. That's the goal and it will accomplish this.

This is by no means the end. It's probably just the beginning of their campaign. And yes, this, coupled with the opening of the NYC office and D.C. satellite office, along with many other reasons, is why I don't think they're done expanding to the East. And it's also why I think UConn is sitting in a good position if the Big Ten finds another workable party for No. 16+.

It's a good move by Fox to move more eyeballs to FS1 because the BE languished there this year. But I wonder about the value for the B1G. I see the value for the BE for sure, but really wonder if anyone will get hyped for any of these matchups out east. Some of the BE fanbases are substantial--others not so much. See PC v. Kentucky at Barclay's.

Reaction Score
It's a coup for the Big East - no way to spin that.

For all of Aresco's babble, no one will partner with the AAC with the gristle at the bottom of the conference. The Big East may be lousy at the bottom, but at least there's some name recognition there.

I'm pretty sure I don't agree.

The dregs got regularly beat by 20-40 points this winter. And Rutgers got beat by 61 (and frankly ... Pitino probably could have made it 70) But, this is like Auriemma & Co. The schools in the AAC could not have been happy. Thus, OUT goes Stan Heath; Dickey finds the door; and I think others are on notice. And I think we found that the Top (UConn, Louisville, Cincy, SMU, Memphis) were what we thought they were ... BETTER than Creighton & Nova. Helluva lot better than Georgetown & Providence. We (top 5) would have beaten those 2 easy. I watched Nova play Temple mid-year; Nova did not impress (from a BE past view).

Kelvin Sampson shows up; maybe Frank Haith can take a decent 8 man rotation left him & leverage that; Antigua has the buzz ... who knows if that turns into a good thing (but I am betting he is better than Quin Snyder or 3 others who came in like that). Can USF, UCF, Tulane & Tulsa (and Temple return to their level where they made the March Madness 6 years in a row) rise to be competitive? Seton Hall & Providence seemingly are recruiting better. What is the relative strength>?

Aresco can see what all of us can. The dregs weren't ready ... and that includes the two former BE competitors (USF & Rutgers) ... and they sucked. My Auriemma point? Getting beat by 30, when you are a school that cares, turns into a better league. No one likes that. I don't think some of the BE girls programs would beat Iona if not for the Auriemma beatings.

Reaction Score
Better than Indianapolis but a far cry from the Mecca in NYC.

They're still going after New York. Right now they're figuring out which venue. They want MSG, but if they can't pull that off, they'll likely settle for Barclays.

I'm hearing a 4-year rotation of Chicago, D.C., Indy and N.Y.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Oh, I must have missed the press release about the Big 10/AAC Challenge. Could you provide a link?

Very poor comeback, even by your standards.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Pray PC gets matched up with Penn State.

Reaction Score
Gee wiz, friarJ, speaking about arrogance, I seem to remember one of your last posts, here, where you referred to us (or, at least some of us) as "". Shortly after PC won the BE in front of a sold out MSG. Although some dispute that sell out claim.
That B1G vs BE series could do well on TV, but will pale compared to the B1G vs ACC series in Dec. Should UConn get into the B1G, perhaps the UConn-PC series can be renewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom