B1G, ACC battle for New York | Page 5 | The Boneyard

B1G, ACC battle for New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Louisville was a pawn and a compromise pick. It was a short term choice to appease a conference that was in some peril. Before too long, you'll be despised and laughed at by your conference mates. Enjoy your stay in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Louisville was a pawn and a compromise pick. It was a short term choice to appease a conference that was in some peril. Before too long, you'll be despised and laughed at by your conference mates. Enjoy your stay in the ACC.

Is that supposed to hurt him? Because I'd much rather be despised by my ACC conference mates than worshiped by my AAC conference mates.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Blah blah blah.
8a9e8yra.jpg

caw

Reaction Score
Compared to the power 5 the AAC's "exposure" is garbage. Nobody wants to see 80% of the teams in that league. Nobody. Yes you'll get a couple of decent games a year broadcast but nothing like what you got in the Big East. Your days in a power league are over.

We play Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, UNC, and Duke on a yearly basis, plus UK and whoever else we want to schedule OOC. We'll get about 8 high profile games every single year plus the ACC Tournament. You guys get maybe one or two decent OOC games and a bunch of crap conference games. After December everybody will forget about UConn while you're playing at Tulsa and Tulane and ECU and UCF and SMU. You could win 30 games in that crap league and wind up as a #6 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Purvis is a transfer. He was committed to all of Louisville, Missouri, and NC State at one point or another. He's a headcase and a prima donna. He's the type of player a desperate coach will take. He wanted to transfer to Louisville and Pitino turned him down, so he winds up at UConn. Can't say I'm surprised.

The AAC is garbage.

Congrats.

I can name another transfer or two on some team at UL. Guys who were committed at one point to other schools, freaking half the country transfers these days.

caw

Reaction Score
Blah blah blah. That's what your post says. Ollie didn't show me anything last year, other than that he knows how to squander halftime leads better than anybody. Calhoun is the sole reason for every single accomplishment your basketball program has ever achieved and he's gone forever. Say goodbye to being a contender and say hello to being a pretender.

Your program will wither away in mid major irrelevancy with no exposure, no TV money, and no regional conference rivalries. Your best home game starting in 2014 will be.......Memphis? Cincinnati? Temple? SMU? I'm sure your fans are buying season tickets by the truckload, but then again from what I saw on TV they didn't hardly show up when #1 Louisville came to town last year. Did they all know beforehand it was going to be a blowout?

Tell me how Pitino did in his first year at UL? 19-13. NIT. Fourth year he made the final four from CUSA. I think UL's history alone would tell you that conference isn't the end all be all.

caw

Reaction Score
Never claimed Louisville was a powerhouse program, but we're certainly a lot closer to being one than UConn. But we've performed exceptionally well in our BCS appearances unlike your program which lends credence to my previous statement. You guys haven't. It's all about perception. Nobody remembers the Louisville team that got beat by UConn in double OT in November, everybody remembers the Louisville team that put a smackdown on the Gators in January. That's the difference.

Good because UL isn't. On the scale of football relevancy, UL is still on the side of irrelevant. UConn may be further down the line, but it doesn't really matter.

Reaction Score
P.S. UConn basketball is in a downward spiral? I think you are the one that needs to worry about that. We have a great young coach and you are the ones with the old guy whose days are numbered. Hiring great coaches isn't always easy. I'd much rather have KO than Slick Rick right now. We hit a homerun with our new coach.
Thanks to Coach Calhouns persistence!

caw

Reaction Score
Yep that 20-10 record with three future NBA players speaks volumes for Ollie's coaching ability. I'm sure all the AAC schools are trembling.

Pitino just won a championship. He's in the Hall of Fame. He's got another 5-10 years before we find his replacement. We've got a top 5 class coming in. I could go on and on but I'm not going to waste my time telling you what you already know. He ran your pathetic squad off the court last season. Hell we had more trouble with Northern Iowa than UConn. We've got a legitimate shot to repeat as champions next year. You guys will be lucky to make the postseason.

UConn is on a downward spiral, Louisville is not.

Possibly. It's a long ways to go in recruiting and UL just lost a top 30 kid from the city.

Right now UL's recruiting class is solid with Lyle and Aaron. UConn may fill 5 more spots and UL may try to fill 3 more, so it's a long haul.

Tell me; of the best 3 players on UL next year, where were they ranked in high school? That's how worthless recruiting ranking can be.

Reaction Score
@ CardsFan123

I see. I attempted to have a fact based discussion with a little humor (because I do not take anything on a blog too seriously) regarding the history of both Louisville and UConn without insulting either school and your response to everyone but me is the classic Justin Bieber defense of ‘I’m the best because I say I’m the best.’

If you want to have an honest debate looking at the pro’s and con’s of both schools. Great. If you just plan on looking at Louisville, especially their football program, through A-Rod like mentality - a very good year or two sandwiched in between a lot of shi! served with a pile of bullshi! (such as Louisville’s overinflated athletic department surpluses because they get to play at the Yum Center, collect nearly all of the revenue and stick the city with all of the cost and debt service), then collect your ACC invite and go away.

As for the future of both school’s basketball programs. All I do know is that UConn’s retired coach was enshrined into the Hall of Fame just as Pitino has been. Who is better, who is the bigger arse? That is a matter of opinion, nothing else. I can imagine though that Calhoun’s bronze bust in the NCAA is a picture of him flipping off the NCAA while holding his third NCAA title in his hand while Pitino has his table at Porcini's bronzed.

Also, by the way, what is this Lousiville v. Kentucky rivalry? I know it is intense between sports fans on the radio; but, no such much on the court. 45 games in 100+ years of basketball? That is a periodic scrimmage. Plus, with a 30 to 15 series lead, I am not sure that the folks in Lexington even view it as a rivalry.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Connecticut come into the ACC now. I think that there is a lot in common with the league. Regionally UConn and UVA would fit well together. We have a lot of students from the New England, North East, and Mid Atlantic states. Academically, it is a fit.

Louisville will be a good addition to the ACC too, I think. The Big XII is already regretting not selecting Louisville. Academically Louisville is about where Florida State was when Florida State joined the ACC. FSU has improved academically in the ACC. I don't really have any complaints about Louisville. The southern end of the league pushed for that choice. There is history from the old Metro League. Louisville has had a great year athletically, and they look to be investing in new programs and facilities.

Getting back to UConn, the move to Division 4 may prove the opportunity to add more, and I hope UConn is the choice. I realize that if the Big Ten comes calling first, UConn would go there. I want to see the ACC move to 16 schools playing football. With 14, we have to go 12 years between home games with schools in the opposite division. I don't like that. The ACC is either going to sit and wait on Notre Dame before adding number 16, or we are going to go ahead with the anticipation of getting to 20 and add 2 for 17, 16 playing football. In either case, my vote would be for Connecticut. A lot will be determined by what ESPN wants to pay for.

Reaction Score
FYI, I did not know this; but it is interesting to see that the fight over he N’east between the B1G and the ACC has been going on for some time.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/penn_state_in_acc_not_big_ten.html

Gene Corrigan was a good commissioner for the ACC. He freely admitted that Delany one-upped him on that.

Had we gotten PSU and then, FSU, that would've been as solid a 10-team ACC as could've been imgained. Clemson gets the football partners that they desired, and, Tobacco Road keeps the round robin for basketball they wanted (and still want). Win-win.

Oh well. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Reaction Score
At least the ACC survived not getting Penn State. The Big E voted down Penn State in 1982 and eventually that decision lead to the death of the Big E thirty some odd years later (I refuse to call the Catholic whatever the Big E). The special arrangement with ND did not help, either (ACC should be forewarned).

Imagine if Paterno got his way and formed an Eastern football conference in the early 1980’s with Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, BC, Pittsburgh, West Virginia. Where would it be today?

Downside, without basketball, I am not sure if UConn would be where it is today athletically and academically.

Reaction Score
Been following UConn a long time. You know how many times other team's fans have said we are on a downward spiral and are fading back to mediocrity?

1989 (when we regressed after NIT title)
1993 (lost to Jackson State in NIT)
1997 (Allen-Sheffer era over, NIT)
2001 (back in NIT two years after title)
2007 (entirely new roster)
2010 (wheels fell off)
2013 (here we go again)

Maybe this time it'll really happen. But you know how they define insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

On another subject, have you guys even produced one decent pro since Darrell Griffith?

Reaction Score
At least the ACC survived not getting Penn State. The Big E voted down Penn State in 1982 and eventually that decision lead to the death of the Big E thirty some odd years later (I refuse to call the Catholic whatever the Big E). The special arrangement with ND did not help, either (ACC should be forewarned).

Imagine if Paterno got his way and formed an Eastern football conference in the early 1980’s with Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, BC, Pittsburgh, West Virginia. Where would it be today?

Had PSU been in the original eastern football conference, that league would still be here today, and, prosperous.

Downside, without basketball, I am not sure if UConn would be where it is today athletically and academically.

A big time sports program is not a necessity for a school to be great academically. Look at William & Mary. It is an outstanding academic institution, but, their athletic department is not what any of us would call big time. Its about how much the state would be willing to invest in a school's future. Connecticut would have done that for UConn, hoops success, or not. The great succes your hoops' teams have had (men and women) is a major plus, no doubt. But, at some point the State of CT would have to view UConn as an economic engine for the state, and, that in and of itself would demand that more tax money go into building the academic side.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Connecticut come into the ACC now. I think that there is a lot in common with the league. Regionally UConn and UVA would fit well together. We have a lot of students from the New England, North East, and Mid Atlantic states. Academically, it is a fit.

Louisville will be a good addition to the ACC too, I think. The Big XII is already regretting not selecting Louisville. Academically Louisville is about where Florida State was when Florida State joined the ACC. FSU has improved academically in the ACC. I don't really have any complaints about Louisville. The southern end of the league pushed for that choice. There is history from the old Metro League. Louisville has had a great year athletically, and they look to be investing in new programs and facilities.

Getting back to UConn, the move to Division 4 may prove the opportunity to add more, and I hope UConn is the choice. I realize that if the Big Ten comes calling first, UConn would go there. I want to see the ACC move to 16 schools playing football. With 14, we have to go 12 years between home games with schools in the opposite division. I don't like that. The ACC is either going to sit and wait on Notre Dame before adding number 16, or we are going to go ahead with the anticipation of getting to 20 and add 2 for 17, 16 playing football. In either case, my vote would be for Connecticut. A lot will be determined by what ESPN wants to pay for.
Not a Cuse fan huh?Then how come your a member in good standing for 2 years of SU fan . com?Blow smoke up someone elses butt "stimpycuse" !!Va fan my butt!!

Reaction Score

Love your avatar!!Also enjoy it on SU's board where your a longtime member!!Why did you deny it?

Reaction Score
Love your avatar!!Also enjoy it on SU's board where your a longtime member!!Why did you deny it?

Yes I put it there within 20 minutes of putting it here. The boards are the same type. I joined that board when Syracuse joined the ACC. I've been a member of The Sabre for over 10 years. And you can find me on every ACC Board with the exception of NC State who denied my membership for some reason. I didn't do anything to them, but for some reason I'm denied.

Reaction Score
But, at some point the State of CT would have to view UConn as an economic engine for the state, and, that in and of itself would demand that more tax money go into building the academic side.
They already do. We're the best public school in the Knowledge Corridor (and all of New England, at least). That area is LOADED with elite private institutions. Imagine if UConn joined forces with the elite private institutions in the Knowledge Corridor for research and whatever else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Corridor

I wouldn't mind UMass coming along but they are too far behind at this point in time.

Reaction Score
A big time sports program is not a necessity for a school to be great academically. Look at William & Mary. It is an outstanding academic institution, but, their athletic department is not what any of us would call big time. Its about how much the state would be willing to invest in a school's future. Connecticut would have done that for UConn, hoops success, or not. The great succes your hoops' teams have had (men and women) is a major plus, no doubt. But, at some point the State of CT would have to view UConn as an economic engine for the state, and, that in and of itself would demand that more tax money go into building the academic side.

JMHO.

Absolutely, William & Mary is an excellent academic school with no-brand name, i.e. football and basketball, public university (though UConn has tangled with them in soccer a lot). Binghamton, UC Davis, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara (another good soccer program), UC Irvine are all public universities not playing premier college sports and all in the US News top 50.

That said, none of those schools have to compete with the heavy number of elite privates in the Northeast. For years, UConn has been a safety school for CT students and that mentality was reflected in the campus and with state funding. Starting with the NIT championship in 1988 that began to change. Yet, even in the early 90’s when I graduated from HS, people still thought I was insane for picking UConn over Syracuse (to be fair, could not afford Syracuse, which is why I did not go). UConn won its basketball title in 1995 (women), which generated a lot of attention and support in Hartford allowing for UConn 2000 to be passed. That $1 billion project transformed the campus from a 1950’s Post WWII expanse of building to a legitimate, national research university. UConn 21st Century added another $1.2 billion to reconstruction and then add the 3 titles in men’s basketball and 7 more in women’s hoops and that is where UConn is today.

Without it, I do not know if Hartford would have ever supported UConn 2000 and the subsequent re-construction of the school. Without UConn 2000, UConn would very much look like where UMass is today (not that UMass is a bad school).

Reaction Score
Yes I put it there within 20 minutes of putting it here. The boards are the same type. I joined that board when Syracuse joined the ACC. I've been a member of The Sabre for over 10 years. And you can find me on every ACC Board with the exception of NC State who denied my membership for some reason. I didn't do anything to them, but for some reason I'm denied.
I wouldn't say "the same type"...I was banned after 3 days there for telling them Ish Witter was a heavy RU lean(tho RU put him on hold pending Hilliman decision) and they disagreed to their shame!When they saw I was right I found myself banned w/o so much as a by your leave sir?That board in particular is just a Cuse cheering section not a free exchange of thoughts and info!This board is nationally renowned for having stimulating CR discussion by fans of all CFB!!Big difference !!...btw Mike London seems to be killing it recruiting wise!Good days ahead for all Cavalier fans !!

Reaction Score
Compared to the power 5 the AAC's "exposure" is garbage. Nobody wants to see 80% of the teams in that league. Nobody. Yes you'll get a couple of decent games a year broadcast but nothing like what you got in the Big East. Your days in a power league are over.

We play Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, UNC, and Duke on a yearly basis, plus UK and whoever else we want to schedule OOC. We'll get about 8 high profile games every single year plus the ACC Tournament. You guys get maybe one or two decent OOC games and a bunch of crap conference games. After December everybody will forget about UConn while you're playing at Tulsa and Tulane and ECU and UCF and SMU. You could win 30 games in that crap league and wind up as a #6 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Purvis is a transfer. He was committed to all of Louisville, Missouri, and NC State at one point or another. He's a headcase and a prima donna. He's the type of player a desperate coach will take. He wanted to transfer to Louisville and Pitino turned him down, so he winds up at UConn. Can't say I'm surprised.

12 CBS national games for the AAC a year. They'll be showing UConn. UConn will have great exposure. They're already cooking with OOC.

Sounds like you have a serious case of UConn envy.

Ollie can coach Purvis up and will. Gottfried sucks. You're an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom