B12 Related - Why is UConn's brand so tainted? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

B12 Related - Why is UConn's brand so tainted?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If UConn wanted to go back to Big East, do you think the easiest way to do that was to choke the football team?

If UConn was competing in the AAC, but didn’t get a p5 invite, would the school have left?
My point was when the school knew there was time before the next round of invites (UConn is plugged into this junk), they cut Financial corners in football. RE was supposed to build the infrastructure and a miding team would have sufficed. When he catered, then they realized more money had to go to the next coach. Look at the number of non coaching staff vs RE and it is jaw dropping.
The dynamics of CR have changed every round. Records didn't matter(see BC, Rutgers, Pitt and Cuse). Then they did matter, (Houston, Cincinnati, UCF). I am sure some conference told those that matter bide your time and when the time is right, you will be #16.
UConn tried to be cute during that time but got burned.

Reaction Score
What’s your name? Dave? I believe all parties wanted success. What worked the first didn’t the second. JM having toured successful programs during his broadcasting days has the intel on what it takes. He still has control over the defense and would be surprised if he ever hired a famous DC who’s philosophy was anyway different than his own.

Reaction Score
We needed the ACC invitation 10 years ago and didn't get it for a variety of reasons. That's the P5 conference where we objectively would've fit the best, even though it's not the strongest place to be nowadays. When that didn't happen we were in big trouble and everyone knew it.

We'd be a square peg jammed into a round hole in the Big 12, which is why I didn't think it'd happen the last time an invite was the hot topic and I don't think it'll happen this time either.

Reaction Score
I don’t see the Big 12 as being that stable of a conference. They have no tv network and no blue blood programs like the ACC. ESPN is heavily invested in the ACC. If the B1G, SEC and the ACC expand it will be at the expense of the Big 12 and the PAC 12. ND does not want the ACC to fail either and will likely join full time with a special financial deal until the next tv contract in 2036. That contract with ND could bring the ACC respectfully close to the SEC and the B1G.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t see the Big 12 as being that stable of a conference. They have no tv network and no blue blood programs like the ACC. ESPN is heavily invested in the ACC. If the B1G, SEC and the ACC expand it will be at the expense of the Big 12 and the PAC 12. ND does not want the ACC to fail either and will likely join full time with a special financial deal until the next tv contract in 2036. That contract with ND could bring the ACC respectfully close to the SEC and the B1G.
So, which big 12 programs do you think are likely to leave and which conferences do you think they will head to. If your answer is, "well, I can't think of a single one!" that is pretty much the definition of stability.

Now, take a look at the ACC. Which programs do you think would be desirable to the big 10 or the SEC? See any land grant national brands that are AAU? It's pretty likely that they are potential big 10 targets. The SEC has already stated that it has interest in two of the ACC programs. I fully agree that the ACC is ESPN's house band, but, I don't think they will be willing to pay them 70+ million dollars a year to keep pace with the Big Ten or the SEC.

If Notre Dame ever decides to become a full member of a conference, do you seriously think they will except $.50 on the dollar to do that in the ACC. I don't.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is never going to join the ACC full time in football.
It makes no difference to them if the conference breaks apart.
They will always find someplace to park their Olympic sports.

Reaction Score
So, which big 12 programs do you think are likely to leave and which conferences do you think they will head to. If your answer is, "well, I can't think of a single one!" that is pretty much the definition of stability.

Now, take a look at the ACC. Which programs do you think would be desirable to the big 10 or the SEC? See any land grant national brands that are AAU? It's pretty likely that they are potential big 10 targets. The SEC has already stated that it has interest in two of the ACC programs. I fully agree that the ACC is ESPN's house band, but, I don't think they will be willing to pay them 70+ million dollars a year to keep pace with the Big Ten or the SEC.

If Notre Dame ever decides to become a full member of a conference, do you seriously think they will except $.50 on the dollar to do that in the ACC. I don't.
If Notre Dame decides to become a full member of a conference it would be the B1G. Notre Dame is almost immune, almost, to the conference realignment musical chairs in that they know they will be coveted by any conference.

Reaction Score

Agree, Big 12 seems pretty stable now, for better or worse. And that's kind of the thing, stability has only been achieved because their best programs just left. It's a B-tier conference with no obvious poaching targets left. Meanwhile in the ACC, Florida State and Clemson would die for an SEC invitation and Notre Dame has no loyalty to anyone but themselves.

The ACC seems like the 2nd weakest P5 as things stand today, after the PAC. If they start to get poached, what will they look like when the dust settles? Could be ugly.

And for the record I'm unfortunately not a believer in UConn getting a Big 12 invite. I think it's more likely that we eventually get pulled into the ACC if/when they start to get picked apart, or as a preemptive strike to try to bolster themselves.

Reaction Score
Agree, Big 12 seems pretty stable now, for better or worse. And that's kind of the thing, stability has only been achieved because their best programs just left. It's a B-tier conference with no obvious poaching targets left. Meanwhile in the ACC, Florida State and Clemson would die for an SEC invitation and Notre Dame has no loyalty to anyone but themselves.

The ACC seems like the 2nd weakest P5 as things stand today, after the PAC. If they start to get poached, what will they look like when the dust settles? Could be ugly.

And for the record I'm unfortunately not a believer in UConn getting a Big 12 invite. I think it's more likely that we eventually get pulled into the ACC if/when they start to get picked apart, or as a preemptive strike to try to bolster themselves.
Unfortunately, I think UConn is getting jerked along with Big 12 speculation and not getting an invite. I hope I am wrong on this. My thinking on this is analytical, but a lot of it is emotional and being jaded from the last time the Big 12 was Lucy to UConn being Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think UConn is getting jerked along with Big 12 speculation and not getting an invite. I hope I am wrong on this. My thinking on this is analytical, but a lot of it is emotional and being jaded from the last time the Big 12 was Lucy to UConn being Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.
I just don't see why the Big 12 would add us when they can raid the Pac 12 for schools like Colorado and Arizona. It's frustrating but it is what it is. I'd be glad to be wrong.

Like I said, the ACC put us on a desert island and they'll forever be my most hated conference even if we end up landing there someday.

CL82

Reaction Score
just don't see why the Big 12 would add us when they can raid the Pac 12 for schools like Colorado and Arizona
9231AF32-7A93-492B-ADFB-FA027A400815.jpeg

Plus adding Colorado and Arizona or UConn isn't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
View attachment 89153

If the trophies were our ticket to the P5 we would've gotten there a long time ago. Probably would be in the Big 10 or something too, instead of being a borderline Big 12 invite.

Anyway maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but we've all been a part of this song and dance a few times before.

CL82

Reaction Score
If the trophies were our ticket to the P5 we would've gotten there a long time ago. Probably would be in the Big 10 or something too, instead of being a borderline Big 12 invite.

Anyway maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but we've all been a part of this song and dance a few times before.
Agree somewhat. The thing is what constitutes "the ticket" is a moving target. In bc this round, location plus brand value may be the right combo.

Reaction Score
The big 12 does not support Women's Lacrosse nor Field Hockey...and does have Wrestling and Gymnastics.

Reaction Score

Our location sucks. Our football was bad when we needed them to be at the top of their game at critical junctures.

Out football program was historically bad. We quit the AAC which gave everyone a signal that we gave up on football. We had clauses in game contracts that we could cancel in the event we downgrade to FCS.

We basically put off all kinds of negative vibes. I am as pessimistic as you.

Reaction Score
View attachment 89153

Agree somewhat. The thing is what constitutes "the ticket" is a moving target. In bc this round, location plus brand value may be the right combo.

It is a moving target putting a little, not a lot more emphasis on basketball, but football is the 80 in the 80/20 rule and basketball is the 20 when it comes to conference realignment and basically revenue generating in college sports and even then I might be understating football and overstating basketball.

The UConn women's basketball is bigger than women's basketball itself and popular globally. People who don't pay attention to women's basketball will tune into UConn on some level just because their brand and popularity is so high.

The UConn men's basketball program is part of the basketball royalty with 5 titles-there is no doubt about it, they are in the royalty club.

Even the naysayer fans of the current Big 12 teams who are firmly opposed to adding UConn to the Big 12 acknowledge the greatness of UConn Basketball.

Having said all of the above, I am sure you know it ain't UConn Basketball that needs to be sold. UConn Basketball sells itself. It's UConn Football that needs to be sold. Mora and his staff exceeded expectations last year, but it's not enough to wipe away the God awful football that preceded it before for a decade sans 2015-there was real reputational damage done that will take time to erase.

Reaction Score
When people talk about Colorado/UConn as the 2 adds, most Big 12 fans like it. Only Cincinnati seems against it.
BS. Most Big 12 fans are against it but that is always the case with non-P5 schools, it was like that with the new Big 12 schools. You clearly only read a few message boards. But message board fans don't make the decisions.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
$20M+ and a full share within three years or hang up the phone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
From what I've seen on other boards, particularly reddit, Cincinnati fans have not been fond of it.
Of course not. We have our resident Cincy troll on the Yard and all he has is "We're P5 and you're not." Take that away and they have nothing. They did have a FF BB coach but they ran him out of town.

Reaction Score
I agree with those saying that the Cincinnati fans are against UConn being added. I've noticed the same thing on various message boards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom