B12 Related - Why is UConn's brand so tainted? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

B12 Related - Why is UConn's brand so tainted?

Reaction Score
We threw Iowa State's mascot down the stairs in the Rent. Broke his wing.

IIIRC John Silver said nobody liked coming here to play. Teams or media. We had personalities. Maybe you can ask him. or use the search feature.
Didn't the Iowa State mascot later admit that didn't happen?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He admitted that it didn't happen the way he initially claimed.

His original story claimed he was an innocent bystander thrown down the stairs by drunk students. He later stated he may have gone overboard in a trash talk exchange that led to a little pushing and shoving, and he lost his balance and fell down the stairs.

In either version he broke an arm. Not a good look for us.

Reaction Score
People overstate, I think, Diaco and PP role in the grand scope of program legitimacy. Teams can survive a six year stretch of one bowl with a 24-49 record with decent players and draft picks. He legitimately set us back to like a FCS transition level program
I agree on PP. He was not as bad as Disco or RE2.0.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
F-o-o-t-b-a-l-l

We don't care about it like it's the only form of leisure as it is in Texas. We don't all aspire to be a high school fb star and they relive it every day for the rest of our lives, Varsity Blues style.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

His original story claimed he was an innocent bystander thrown down the stairs by drunk students. He later stated he may have gone overboard in a trash talk exchange that led to a little pushing and shoving, and he lost his balance and fell down the stairs.

Actually, his original story was to the police and he told them he lost his balance and fell. After he got home he said that he got thrown off the bleachers by UConn fans on Facebook, which sounds decidedly cooler than "I am an uncoordinated spaz." in any event the Facebook story, not and surprisingly he took off, then he had to recant it.

I'm inclined to believe the story he told the police.

Reaction Score
Yes, we know that but that's like placing a retraction on page 9 with the accusation on the front. The haters live for crap like that.

Reaction Score

Exactly

Reaction Score
F-o-o-t-b-a-l-l

We don't care about it like it's the only form of leisure as it is in Texas. We don't all aspire to be a high school fb star and they relive it every day for the rest of our lives, Varsity Blues style.

Reaction Score
We beat a highly ranked Louisville team, in Louisville, in a game where our QB got hurt during the game, the week before the ACC took Louisville over us. If we should have learned anything from this process, it's that you can't earn your way in on the field with an extra win or two.

But the rest of the story was...Louisville won 11 games that year and UConn was below .500...yes, it was a nice upset for the Huskies. Louisville went on to beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl.

One upset was just not enough

Reaction Score
It all comes down to football and it all comes down to "what have you done for me lately?". For our program we've been one of the absolute worst in all of college football for the last decade. We've been the laughing stock of the sport for years now. No one remembers how good we were when we were going to bowl games every year and making the Fiesta Bowl because in college sports those are now ancient times. It would take at least 3 or 4 more good years from Jim Mora's bunch to start to change people's minds about the program. Right now, our reputation is in the dirt no matter how well our other sports do because most people outside of UConn fans only care about football.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to football and it all comes down to "what have you done for me lately?". For our program we've been one of the absolute worst in all of college football for the last decade. We've been the laughing stock of the sport for years now. No one remembers how good we were when we were going to bowl games every year and making the Fiesta Bowl because in college sports those are now ancient times. It would take at least 3 or 4 more good years from Jim Mora's bunch to start to change people's minds about the program. Right now, our reputation is in the dirt no matter how well our other sports do because most people outside of UConn fans only care about football.
Under normal circumstances I would say that you're right. Football $$$ has been the key motivation in the majority of TV contract negotiations to date. That said, I believe by both his words and actions that the Big 12 Commissioner values basketball more than the other conferences. This could be a key strategy to ensuring their long-term future even if it is at lesser dollar amount than The P2.

Most people who follow college sports generally accept that both the Pac 12 and ACC will eventually be raided of their key assets. The overwhelming majority of additions will be either done with football in mind (SEC) or in the B1G's Case to combat demographic shifts and expand influence nationwide. Where does that leave The Big 12?

They know that they'll never be the top football conference, as The SEC has that locked up for eternity. They also know that they'll never be the richest conference as they don't have the brands of The B1G that drive TV Ratings. However, with a few strategic adds they could remain both a competitive football conference, and lay claim to being the #1 basketball conference in America.

Why does this matter? It matters because If The P2 ever gets any ideas of breaking away and taking basketball with them they can't effectively do it without including the Big 12. People question what is Yormak thinking? This is what I believe he is thinking.

Potentially grab Colorado, Arizona, UConn and SDSU to go to 16 teams. Wait for The ACC to implode and grab Pitt, Syracuse, Duke, and possibly VPI or GT.

You now have a basketball conference that has marquee names in Kansas, Duke, UConn, Syracuse, Arizona, and Baylor to go along with programs like Pitt, Cincy, TTU, Houston, SDSU, KSU, and others who have had periods of playing competitive tournament basketball in their history.

Football wise you have a sneaky good conference with Pitt, VPI, UCF, Cincy, WVU, KSU, TCU, Baylor, OSU, TTU, & BYU. Very solid, but not so overbearing that a UConn, Arizona, Duke, or Kansas couldn't put together a good team and compete. This is a league whose champ should always be included in an expanded playoff, and if things go well potentially two or even three teams under the right set of circumstances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Down talking even from boosters of a school which is 0-2 against UConn.
The HCRE 2.0 Era did untold damage to both the reputation of the football program and to your AD in general. The epic level of stink he produced hung like a cloud over the whole department. It actually obscured the successes that other Husky Programs were having during that time as they were somehow judged guilty by association. Unfortunately, all people can remember now is seeing completely noncompetitive football coached by a guy that looked like he would rather be getting a root canal then be on a sideline.

I know his hire was desperate times call for desperate measures move, but was appeasing a small subset of fans stuck in the glory days of 8-win seasons and beating ND that one time worth the fall out? How no one stepped in and said "We're good, thanks for the input" still blows my mind. Rutgers is learning the same painful lesson with Schiano 2.0 You can't chase ghosts of the past when you are trying to build for the future. They fantasize about that time they beat Louisville and lit The ESB Red, while Michigan is putting up 70 on them in the present. Thank God someone came to their senses in Connecticut and broomed that loser for an actual professional coach. Thank God that despite the potential objection of fans in Big 12 Country, Yormak might be seeing what UConn can/will be in the next few years not what it was in the few that preceded it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The HCRE 2.0 Era did untold damage to both the reputation of the football program and to your AD in general. The epic level of stink he produced hung like a cloud over the whole department. It actually obscured the successes that other Husky Programs were having during that time as they were somehow judged guilty by association. Unfortunately, all people can remember now is seeing completely noncompetitive football coached by a guy that looked like he would rather be getting a root canal then be on a sideline.

I know his hire was desperate times call for desperate measures move, but was appeasing a small subset of fans stuck in the glory days of 8-win seasons and beating ND that one time worth the fall out? How no one stepped in and said "We're good, thanks for the input" still blows my mind. Rutgers is learning the same painful lesson with Schiano 2.0 You can't chase ghosts of the past when you are trying to build for the future. They fantasize about that time they beat Louisville and lit The ESB Red, while Michigan is putting up 70 on them in the present. Thank God someone came to their senses in Connecticut and broomed that loser for an actual professional coach. Thank God that despite the potential objection of fans in Big 12 Country, Yormak might be seeing what UConn can/will be in the next few years not what it was in the few that preceded it.
The MAC is able to find successful coaches for 375k regularly. UConn chose to give a million plus with stupid incentives like leading at half-time to a guy that looked like he wasn't even trying and every time he took the podium all he talked about was how impossible the job was. From a the outside looking in it looked like deliberate attempt to deep six the program for good. The negative attention it created nationally is understandable.

Reaction Score
HCRE 2.0 was probably one of the 10 worst hires of all time. That last team of his would have gone 5-7in div3. I could have just used madden to make plays and only would have wanted 290k to be the coach.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I'd care whether the B12 invites UConn at alll, if not for the slim possibility of having existing P5 status helping when the entire system blows up in the next 15 years. I'm not necessarily conviced it will. We are at a tipping point in college athletics.

Bottom line, if the B12 offers full membership with P5 revenue in relatively short order, take it. If not, pass. Money is the only thing they have to offer us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
HCRE 2.0 was probably one of the 10 worst hires of all time. That last team of his would have gone 5-7in div3. I could have just used madden to make plays and only would have wanted 290k to be the coach.
He was hired because we had to fire Ollie and he was dirt cheap. There was hope he could be mediocre. He fell well short.

As for Memphis, any time you can get the 4th most popular program in eastern Tennessee you pass. I’m talking football and they are behind Tennessee, Ole Miss and even Arkansas.

Reaction Score
He was hired because we had to fire Ollie and he was dirt cheap. There was hope he could be mediocre. He fell well short.

As for Memphis, any time you can get the 4th most popular program in eastern Tennessee you pass. I’m talking football and they are behind Tennessee, Ole Miss and even Arkansas.
Further proof hope is never a plan.

Reaction Score
Under normal circumstances I would say that you're right. Football $$$ has been the key motivation in the majority of TV contract negotiations to date. That said, I believe by both his words and actions that the Big 12 Commissioner values basketball more than the other conferences. This could be a key strategy to ensuring their long-term future even if it is at lesser dollar amount than The P2.

Most people who follow college sports generally accept that both the Pac 12 and ACC will eventually be raided of their key assets. The overwhelming majority of additions will be either done with football in mind (SEC) or in the B1G's Case to combat demographic shifts and expand influence nationwide. Where does that leave The Big 12?

They know that they'll never be the top football conference, as The SEC has that locked up for eternity. They also know that they'll never be the richest conference as they don't have the brands of The B1G that drive TV Ratings. However, with a few strategic adds they could remain both a competitive football conference, and lay claim to being the #1 basketball conference in America.

Why does this matter? It matters because If The P2 ever gets any ideas of breaking away and taking basketball with them they can't effectively do it without including the Big 12. People question what is Yormak thinking? This is what I believe he is thinking.

Potentially grab Colorado, Arizona, UConn and SDSU to go to 16 teams. Wait for The ACC to implode and grab Pitt, Syracuse, Duke, and possibly VPI or GT.

You now have a basketball conference that has marquee names in Kansas, Duke, UConn, Syracuse, Arizona, and Baylor to go along with programs like Pitt, Cincy, TTU, Houston, SDSU, KSU, and others who have had periods of playing competitive tournament basketball in their history.

Football wise you have a sneaky good conference with Pitt, VPI, UCF, Cincy, WVU, KSU, TCU, Baylor, OSU, TTU, & BYU. Very solid, but not so overbearing that a UConn, Arizona, Duke, or Kansas couldn't put together a good team and compete. This is a league whose champ should always be included in an expanded playoff, and if things go well potentially two or even three teams under the right set of circumstances.
Appreciate your perspective. Why can't we get a game?

Reaction Score

I don’t believe that was the reason. I don’t believe it was about the money. It seemed like AD David Benedict was influenced by boosters and it wasn’t necessary to pay RE more than what they did. Unfortunately it didn’t work out so it wasn’t a good value no matter how much he was paid.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone with half a brain and went to the 2.0 introductory press conference knew we were screwed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom