B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B12 - If we accept invite, in 10 years what is the outcome?

If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years.

• Beyond wildest dreams - Football gets good, Basketball thrives, fans embrace, rest of AD boosted

• Status Quo - Basketball thrives, football stuck in mud, fanbase is neutral, rest of AD stat quo

• Mostly disappointing - Basketball falters, football inconsistent, fanbase nostalgic, AD dips

• House on Fire - Basketball does AAC v2, Football mostly losing seasons, fanbase in flames, AD crisis

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Just don't see basketball dipping. This is our bread and butter and might get better and stronger. Football will take time but recruiting to the Big 12 should be a big upgrade versus being a independent. With Mora at the helm the improvements have been steady and should continue.

Reaction Score
Just don't see basketball dipping. This is our bread and butter and might get better and stronger. Football will take time but recruiting to the Big 12 should be a big upgrade versus being a independent. With Mora at the helm the improvements have been steady and should continue.
I see it the opposite. I don't think football will take much time at all and I think basketball will take a small dip.

Reaction Score

With the Writer's Guild and Actors strikes going on right now, it might be the best time ever for a college sports conference to be without a contract.

A lot of these streaming services are going to have no new content soon, and while they will be able to dramatically cut costs, they are going to lose a lot of subscribers, unless people quickly get used to Swedish TV series about finding murdered bodies frozen in ice.

Live sports is the only antidote for all of this.

Reaction Score
I think UConn leaving would really hurt the Big East. It signals that no matter what you may think, people in power know the Big East can’t last forever competing with the power conferences. Eventually, the money will be too much to overcome. UConn’s only real negative in going to the B12 for basketball is the loss of the regional games that some local recruits may covet. However, the B12 is the best basketball conference, so I don’t see how our coaches can’t just sell that instead. Plus, the tv coverage is more widely viewed which will help sell our players for the NBA.

Bottom line, UConn basketball in the Big East is a great thing. UConn basketball in the B12 would be a great thing too, but for some different reasons. I don’t see a drop off.

Reaction Score
I see it the opposite. I don't think football will take much time at all and I think basketball will take a small dip.

It's a can't lose move to say we will take a small dip in basketball, we just won a championship and have a great team coming back next year, we have no place to go but sideways or down.

Do you think we will take a dip compared to where we were last year? I don't see it, the B12 wants to be the best basketball league in the country, that's a league we should want to be in, we will see nothing but sold out arenas on the road and plenty of ranked teams coming to Storrs.

The coach is key, keep Hurley happy with the B12 $$$ and we will be fine.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What about the scenario if we don't accept?

final judgment GIF

Reaction Score
I voted "Wildest Dreams"

Look, all the chicken-littles (mainly UConn Twitter folks) running around the pen screaming "We need to stay in the BE, it will rip the heart and soul of the program out and we'll never recover!!!!" are holding on to some bizarre nostalgia for the original Big East. Which is comical, because many of these folks were not even born when the original Big East was in its glory.

The Big East originally made great sense when we first joined because UConn--although yes, we were a state university joining a Private / Catholic athletic conference even back then-- UConn was nowhere near its current level of academic and athletic quality. The reality was it was a dumpy run-down safety school with I-AA Yankee Conference football. I know this well...I went there from 1988-1993. I have since worked there as a professor from 1998-present. I have seen UConn's stature rise both academically and athletically. Not to mention there was no internet, broadcast media was local/regional/paper-based, etc.

Although the move from the AAC back to the "new" Big East made great sense, it really could only be a transition step given the current academic/athletic department state of UConn and where we want to progress to in the future. Not to mention that while I am as nostalgic as the next middle-aged rabid UConn athletics fan (likely even more!) for staying in the Big East, we can't just stay here. We've outgrown the conference.

Yes it stinks, but for so many reasons, we need to move on. And we will thrive. I'm at peace with a move to the B12, and am very confident it will be a very positive thing.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Why do some of you think the ACC is a better option than the BIG 12? Most big east basketball teams that went to the acc all suck in basketball now while they succeeded in the big east.

Reaction Score
IF we dip, it’s because we don’t always have a DC/AK class.

Reaction Score
Agree.
They are not calling..
I don't see how the ACC would be a better move right now. Its down, the big brands want out and the remaining brands when it shakes out will be schools with much weaker fan bases than those of B12 schools. One thing I really like about the B12 is that the game atmosphere for both football and basketball rivals that of just about any. They love their sports whether it is in Morgantown, Waco or Stillwater, games are rocking.

Reaction Score
It would have to work out in the big 12… because I doubt we would have the option to go back in the big east

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Not sure what all the concern is about. Whatever happens will be better than our relegation to the AAC. But even when we were in the AAC it did not change my passion as a fan. I loved UConn when they were in the Yankee conference, the first Big East, the AAC and now the new Big East. No matter what conference or league they play in as long as it says UConn on the uni I will be there rooting for them and loving every win and suffering through every loss.

Reaction Score
I picked the top option.

I will also add that in ten years, we will be in the Big Ten.

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 1.24.55 PM.png

Reaction Score
Not sure what all the concern is about. Whatever happens will be better than our relegation to the AAC. But even when we were in the AAC it did not change my passion as a fan. I loved UConn when they were in the Yankee conference, the first Big East, the AAC and now the new Big East. No matter what conference or league they play in as long as it says UConn on the uni I will be there rooting for them and loving every win and suffering through every loss.
I still watched every game but the AAC definitely destroyed a lot of the passion. There are plenty of high schools that had more exciting gyms and put out better telecasts than the stuff we had to sit through in that clown show of a conference.

Reaction Score
Tell me who is the coach in 10 years and it is easier to answer those questions. For football,Mia or a top notch Mora disciple and we will progress just fine. He didn’t just say he wants to compete for national championships out of the blue. Basketball if Hurley stays and remains focused we will be fine. But if he decides to try his hand in the NBA or gets recruited away, who knows. And don’t forget, he publicly stated he would like to get an NBA shot. I think college coaches are much tougher to predict in basketball than football. The list of guys who look like can’t missed on paper yet miss big time in reality is long.

All that said, the reality is there’s no if we accept. If we are offered we will go to the B12. $30 million > $5 million.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A simple question to put BY on record. If we accept B12 invite, what is the likeliest result in 10 years. Getting people on record for posterity.

Not anonymous, your prediction will be recorded :)
If coach Hurley remains focused (absolutely no reason to believe he won't) we will be at or near the top of men's basketball for the entirety of the next decade, whether we are in the BE, B-12, ACC or (by some miracle) B-10.

If he does not (and basically copies the Ollie script, as unlikely as that may be), we will flounder, whether we are in the BE, B-12, ACC or (by some miracle) B-10.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Why do some of you think the ACC is a better option than the BIG 12? Most big east basketball teams that went to the acc all suck in basketball now while they succeeded in the big east.
I'm pro-B12 move, but let's remember that Jamie Dixon left for the SEC and Pitt replaced him with the incompetent Stallings, Boeheim became fossilized, and BC is BC.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I voted for the top option but I think it’s somewhere between beyond wildest dreams and status quo.

I think football gets competitive (top 50 program), baseball gets a boost, basketball stays same (as does hockey). What happens to soccer and field hockey, 2 NCAA winning programs? Idk.

Overall, I think because of the people we have in place from AD to coaches in key sports, results are equal to slightly better. But the money is much better and we are “in the club” for when the ACC explodes and SEC / B1G think about expanding to 20 or 24 teams.

Being the only northeast team in a national conference gives us a great opportunity to highlight our pull of the NYC metro market.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom