Azzi and who | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi and who

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There has been mention of Stanford recruiting her in some articles, but definitely haven't heard anything that would suggest they are a front runner for her. I think Kiki Rice is more likely to be Stanford-bound than Azzi, as Kiki has been out to visit some and her aunt is a Stanford grad.
I think if Stanford was recruiting Azzi, Tara would have gone public with her admissions acceptance letter by now as she did with Haley Jones' letter.

Reaction Score
Kind of new to this . Where else do they show that kind of info.
Go on hoopgurlz, click that players name and it will show on their prospect profile

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rice and Fudd are indeed among our targets, and as others have speculated, I think Rice is more probable than Fudd, but hey, stranger things have happened. (though if Fudd verballed to Stanford I would fear for my existence on this board for a while...)

I actually think Iriafen is the most likely Stanford target of the three - everything about her background fits the Stanford mold, she's in California, and I feel like given the madness in the world, staying close to home has never seemed like a better idea... For those reasons, I suspect she's deciding between Stanford and (even closer and also academically strong) UCLA. Also, of the three, Iriafen is the only one with a confirmed admission.
:eek: Probably a good idea to fear for your existence on this board anyway. Haley Jones still has eligibility! :D

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
If Azzi doesn’t have a confirmed admission yet, that may be more due to lack of interest. Or Azzi being discreet.
I do think the Fudds have been very discreet, so even if she had been admitted I don't know if we'd ever know unless she committed to Stanford. And I should correct my earlier misstatement: Iriafen has not publicly stated that she has been admitted, but she was recently followed by Stanford WBB Twitter, and historically that has only happened once a prospect has been admitted (they followed Citron shortly after her club tweeted she'd been admitted). So circumstantial evidence of a possible admission.

If Azzi picks Stanford, I recommend going under cover for a while. Maybe 3-4 years. :)
I know, right? I haven't even dared mention the possibility that Fudd follows her namesake to Stanford for fear of inciting a riot. I am gingerly participating in this conversation only because others raised the possibility...

Reaction Score
Azzi is an excellent student, so Stanford makes sense. But I’ve not heard of any involvement. Azzi and family are keeping things quiet, so it’s possible. We’ll find out in time.
I'm waiting for the photo from Paige's mom. :rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If Key commits to UConn, would that cause civil war in the Key household?

Maybe among fans, but both sisters were likely too young to know anything about the UCONN-UT rivalry so the rivalry factor is likely meaningless to them.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I think if Stanford was recruiting Azzi, Tara would have gone public with her admissions acceptance letter by now as she did with Haley Jones' letter.
Can you point to something indicating that Tara was the one to break the news? I thought the Jones family broke the news and Tara later confirmed it? It sounds wildly out of character for Tara to share private information about recruits - she's barely willing to give the most bare bones injury status updates about her players. And if the Fudds don't want to share Azzi's admissions news with the world, you can be darned sure Tara wouldn't... how exactly would that help in her efforts to land her at the Farm?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
If and when Azzi commits to UConn does that mean UConn is done with this recruiting class or is there potential for another recruit such as a big or small forward like Rayah Marshall, Kiki Iriafen or Teonni Key?

UCONN's depth chart for 2021-22 is:
C: Nelson Ododa (Sr), DeBerry (Fr), Gabriel (So)
PF: Edwards (So), McLean (So)
SF: Westbrook (if she returns, RSr), Makurat (Jr), Griffin (Jr)
SG: Williams (Sr), Poffenbarger (Fr), Ducharme (Fr)
PG: Bueckers (So), Muhl (So)

That's a 12/13 player roster without Fudd, 13/14 with her. Geno hasn't had a roster with more than 11 scholarship players in almost 20 years I believe. The past decade almost all of his teams have had pretty thin rosters, so it'll be a big change of pace.

The following year two or three senior starters depart (ONO/Williams and maybe Westbrook) creating a roster that still has 10 returnees, plus whoever the Huskies land in 2022 in addition to Brady who likely gets playing time from day 1, so they still have 11 on board. Potentially 12 if Fudd comes. All of this is barring transfers/injuries, and we know how that goes.

My thought is, if UCONN lands Fudd they obviously take her despite it creating potential overload with Poffenbarger, Ducharme, Fudd, Griffin and Makurat all together for 2 years competing for basically 2 spots. If they don't land her, I'd probably consider taking another wing, or hold off and save the scholly for 2022 or 2023. Post game is well set if everyone stays and is as good as they're hyped up to be. Lots of different bodies inside, plus you have Griffin who can guard a 4 if needed too.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score

That's a 12/13 player roster without Fudd, 13/14 with her. Geno hasn't had a roster with more than 11 scholarship players in almost 20 years I believe. The past decade almost all of his teams have had pretty thin rosters, so it'll be a big change of pace.

The following year two or three senior starters depart (ONO/Williams and maybe Westbrook) creating a roster that still has 10 returnees, plus whoever the Huskies land in 2022 in addition to Brady who likely gets playing time from day 1, so they still have 11 on board. Potentially 12 if Fudd comes. All of this is barring transfers/injuries, and we know how that goes.

My thought is, if UCONN lands Fudd they obviously take her despite it creating potential overload with Poffenbarger, Ducharme, Fudd, Griffin and Makurat all together for 2 years competing for basically 2 spots. If they don't land her, I'd probably consider taking another wing, or hold off and save the scholly for 2022 or 2023. Post game is well set if everyone stays and is as good as they're hyped up to be. Lots of different bodies inside, plus you have Griffin who can guard a 4 if needed too.
What I conclude is that there will be at least 2-3 transfers out of Storrs in the next two years. That's too many top players to keep everyone's minutes expectations happy. It's an absolutely fantastic problem to have, but I just don't see that many top players sticking out Geno's practices to warm the bench for 36 minutes per game, and there's no universe Geno adopts CTT's ASU hockey-line substitutions. Are either Williams or ONO age-eligible to enter the draft after next season? That's the only way I see this team all staying together over the long-term.

Reaction Score
What I conclude is that there will be at least 2-3 transfers out of Storrs in the next two years. That's too many top players to keep everyone's minutes expectations happy. It's an absolutely fantastic problem to have, but I just don't see that many top players sticking out Geno's practices to warm the bench for 36 minutes per game, and there's no universe Geno adopts CTT's ASU hockey-line substitutions. Are either Williams or ONO age-eligible to enter the draft after next season? That's the only way I see this team all staying together over the long-term.
Go watch the 2000 NC game. Geno made hockey line subs, or at least 3-4 at a time. He had the horses. If you get them in the right "team" frame of mind and they are winning, they will stick around. The same argument could be made for SC. Can Staley keep all her players happy and not transfer.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Both ONO/Williams aren't age eligible and I believe would need to graduate early to be able to go pro.

I largely agree. My guess is that Geno is building larger rosters as an insurance policy since transfers and early entrants seem inevitable in today's day and age. Helps prevent situations like 2019 where they unexpectedly lost Stevens and had a void in the post. Makes sense to go the larger roster route that thins itself out than bank on incoming transfers and grad transfers since he hasn't had much success going that route so far.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
... there's no universe Geno adopts CTT's ASU hockey-line substitutions.
I respectfully suggest that you are misinformed about that. For reference, look at how he managed the Olympic rosters in both of the years when he was Olympic head coach, and also how he managed the rosters in 2000 and 2001 (prior to the injuries to Shea and Sveta), which were similarly deep. In all of those cases, he gave significant playing time to as many as 9 or 10 players. It was not so much with hockey-style substitutions as with one-on-one substitutions which spread playing time liberally. As an example, in the 2000 National Final game where Kelly Schumacher had a record 9 blocked shots (and one more that she wasn't credited with), she played only about 22 minutes.

That doesn't mean that you are wrong about some players departing because they don't get enough playing time to satisfy themselves. But I think it is more likely that injuries or slumps will make the decision easier and more manageable than it might initially appear to be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Geno has 10 minutes-worthy players then 10 players will get minutes. The last few years of playing only 7 (sometimes even 6....5) players is not a preferred technique of any coach on the planet, he just didn’t think players 8,9,10 could contribute. No disrespect as by all accounts they were great teammates but don’t you think playing time allocation will look different when players 7,8 and 9 are (potentially) DeBerry, Saylor, Aubrey rather than Irwin, Bent, etc?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Go watch the 2000 NC game. Geno made hockey line subs, or at least 3-4 at a time. He had the horses. If you get them in the right "team" frame of mind and they are winning, they will stick around. The same argument could be made for SC. Can Staley keep all her players happy and not transfer.

That was 20 years ago. Player mentality and transfer rates are wildly different now than they were then. I doubt Geno changes up his substitution style that he's implemented the last 20 years. He doesn't have the easiest system to learn and it typically takes players a season before they learn his offense. SC is likely prone to transfers too. It's inevitable with larger classes and an influx of talent.

Reaction Score
Both ONO/Williams aren't age eligible and I believe would need to graduate early to be able to go pro.

I largely agree. My guess is that Geno is building larger rosters as an insurance policy since transfers and early entrants seem inevitable in today's day and age. Helps prevent situations like 2019 where they unexpectedly lost Stevens and had a void in the post. Makes sense to go the larger roster route that thins itself out than bank on incoming transfers and grad transfers since he hasn't had much success going that route so far.
Again he is not now building a ‘large’ roster...he appears to be trending away from building smaller rosters. It could be strategic to insure against being stuck thin (injuries and rising transfer rates) or it could simply be that we had more recruiting misses than usual the last few years. My guess is he would have gone 10 deep last year had Boston and Jones chosen UCONN

Reaction Score

Nice analysis overall. However, after ONO, I have reservations about the post game. I'd be going hard after Betts just to be safe.

Reaction Score
There has been mention of Stanford recruiting her in some articles, but definitely haven't heard anything that would suggest they are a front runner for her. I think Kiki Rice is more likely to be Stanford-bound than Azzi, as Kiki has been out to visit some and her aunt is a Stanford grad.
No one has heard anything about whom the front runner is lol BYers are making assumptions because of her best friend and that’s a fine line to tip. Nowhere has Azzi stated Stanford or UCONN for that matter are her finalists or front runners.

Reaction Score
That was 20 years ago. Player mentality and transfer rates are wildly different now than they were then. I doubt Geno changes up his substitution style that he's implemented the last 20 years. He doesn't have the easiest system to learn and it typically takes players a season before they learn his offense. SC is likely prone to transfers too. It's inevitable with larger classes and an influx of talent.
Is it time to simplify the system. I have not heard that the sytems of the coaches who won titles in 17, 18, and 19 were difficult to learn and yes I know they have won 11 with his system but times change....

Reaction Score
1) Hysterical handle.
2) Staley is killing it on the recruiting trail. You have to feel good about it.

Don't care what your team is doing on the recruiting trail. Only care what my team is doing. Like they say, we'll settle it on the court.

Reaction Score
Preach! We need to get back to having teams like the 2000 team.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Again he is not now building a ‘large’ roster...he appears to be trending away from building smaller rosters. It could be strategic to insure against being stuck thin (injuries and rising transfer rates) or it could simply be that we had more recruiting misses than usual the last few years. My guess is he would have gone 10 deep last year had Boston and Jones chosen UCONN

Having 13 scholarship players projected for 2021-22 and hoping to be at 14 or 15 is a large roster that he's building. The last time he had a roster with scholarship players that big was 19 years ago.

His 2022-23 roster already has 11 projected scholarship players with likely a push to land at least a couple more from the 2022 class and possibly 1-2 more from 2021, likely putting his roster at 13+ players.

The largest roster he's had in the last decade was 11 kids. He's building large rosters now that he wasn't previously. I'm not criticizing Geno, just pointing out his roster management style appears to be changing headed into 2021-22 and 2022-23.

And UCONN is recruiting as well as it has ever recruited. You guys have landed:
-3 of the last 4 top recruits
-brought in a #2 recruit in Westbrook via transfer
-Have a former #5 recruit in ONO
-have top 5 kids on board from 2021 and 2022

Then you have McLean, Edwards, Poffenbarger and Ducharme who are all ranked as top 25 kids by various outlets.

That ain't many misses if you ask me.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Nice analysis overall. However, after ONO, I have reservations about the post game. I'd be going hard after Betts just to be safe.

Thanks, appreciate it! Not sure about why you have reservations though about post game...Deberry is projected to be the top F/C in the class of 2021 and she stands 6-5. Plus there is Brady who is 6-3 and the #2 ranked kid in 2022. Not to mention 6-5 Gabriel and three athletic forwards in Griffin, McLean and Edwards.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Is it time to simplify the system. I have not heard that the sytems of the coaches who won titles in 17, 18, and 19 were difficult to learn and yes I know they have won 11 with his system but times change....

I think taking bigger classes helps solve this issue since even if you lose some kids to transfer, typically a couple of kids will stick it out all 4 years and you'll have experienced upperclassmen on an annual basis. If you look at this year for example, a lot of players were thrown into situations they just weren't fully ready for and there was zero quality backup for them. ONO didn't have any post backup, Griffin was forced to play big minutes in some games that she wasn't ready for, and Williams shouldn't have been playing 35.6 mpg.

A lot of schools have gone the transfer and grad transfer route to shore up any holes, but that hasn't worked well for Geno so far.

If he takes on average 4 person classes and endures transfers, the roster may whittle down to 10-11 on an annual basis with a team makeup of something like 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores and 4 freshmen. In that scenario, you have veteran players who know his demands and his system, plus an influx of youth playing in smaller role unless they're studs and learn his system quickly. The freshmen and sophomores who aren't as good but want to play leave for their own greener pastures, and the best players stick around and become the experienced upperclassmen. Might not be exactly that breakdown, but wouldn't be surprised if that's his ideology going forward to help prevent situations like the 2019 and 2020 seasons where he really had zero quality depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom