Azzi and who | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Azzi and who

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, you need 5 players to start the game and an additional group of quality players in the rotation to win a NC.
At this point last year we were all commenting on if UConn had enough quality players to fill out a starting five as well as what subs could contribute. I would not use "horrendous" to describe recent recruiting efforts but "not up to UConn and Final Four standards" is not a stretch.

Reaction Score
At this point last year we were all commenting on if UConn had enough quality players to fill out a starting five as well as what subs could contribute. I would not use "horrendous" to describe recent recruiting efforts but "not up to UConn and Final Four standards" is not a stretch.

And yet we made the Final Four every year.

Reaction Score
Programs like Louisville/Stanford usually max out their scholarships, but they're the exception, not the norm.

Look at the number of players who played in games for each of the top 10 programs this year:
South Carolina-11
Oregon-12
Baylor-11
Maryland-9
Louisville-13
UCONN-10
NC State-12
Mississippi State-12
Stanford-15
UCLA-12

Average is 11.7 per game, right in between 10-13. Only Louisville and Stanford had 13+, and Stanford has to fill all 15 scholarships while Walz has a unique style where he intentionally fills rosters every season.

And UCONN had ample size in the midst of this past decade. From 2012-15 he had two or all 3 of Dolson (6-5), Stewart (6-4 with crazy long arms) and Stokes (6-3 who played like 6-7). Not to mention 6-2 Morgan Tuck who could hold her own inside. But I agree, having quality bigs come off the bench can make a huge difference.
Goal posts moved. You went from roster size to # of players who played in games for the top 10 teams only. I mean clearly you are dug in on this but again you are very wrong and have been the entire time.

Reaction Score
OMG can we please stop with these Fudd threads? We'll know when she commits...
This is not really an Azzi thread. This is a thread about who else weather she commits or not.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Goal posts moved. You went from roster size to # of players who played in games for the top 10 teams only. I mean clearly you are dug in on this but again you are very wrong and have been the entire time.

You havent provided 1 piece of evidence to back up your claim. Why dont you do some of the homework and actually come back with an informational post?

Reaction Score
Not happy with the balance of the team going forward. Too much talent at the Guard position (especially if Azzi signs) and a lack of proven depth & size in the post position. Hard to win a title without proper balance & depth. We learned that lesson the last 4 seasons.

Reaction Score
Not happy with the balance of the team going forward. Too much talent at the Guard position (especially if Azzi signs) and a lack of proven depth & size in the post position. Hard to win a title without proper balance & depth. We learned that lesson the last 4 seasons.

We? And here I thought Geno had a handle on recruiting. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And it's 3 seasons.

This isn't Amazon where I would be able to order up pf's and have them listed by height and weight along with reviews.
So what's the "lesson"?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We? And here I thought Geno had a handle on recruiting. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And it's 3 seasons.
This isn't Amazon where I would be able to order up pf's and have them listed by height and weight along with reviews.
So what's the "lesson"?
Geno is handling recruiting and can be and has been legitimately criticized for the results. It has been 4 seasons (2016-20) not three. In those 4 seasons although playing at an AA level (Gabby, Napheesa & Megan) either the starting UCONN PF or C or both has been 5'11" or 6'1" respectively. It has also been 3 seasons (since 2017) when Saniya Chong graduated that UCONN has has a three guards as part of the regular rotation.
This may not be Amazon and the recruiting near misses have been well documented but the results can be questioned as Jeff Jacobs and others have done.

Geno himself has questioned the results.
“It’s more of a function of two recruiting classes we had sucked,” he said on why the team plays with six players."
The lesson is that you need more than 6 contributors to win a National Championship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The lesson is that you need more than 6 contributors to win a National Championship.

It should be pointed out that 3 of the last 5 championship teams basically went 6 deep in the championship game: UConn - 2015, ND - 2018, Baylor - 2019. If you have the right 6 players, under the right coach, you can still win a championship.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For me. the near misses are less troubling than players who come in highly ranked but do not fit in skill or personality. The only recruit that we did not get that I really feel bad about is Boston and that is a combination of generational talent, her seeming desire to come to Storrs and how we envisioned a Paige / Boston tandem. But SC and Dawn was closer to her personality I guess.

But when AEH, Gordon and Coombs all had issues that no one foresaw (and Megan was slower to develop than most thought reasonable); that could have really hurt the UConn recruiting luster and I am sure many were worried that it might make future recruiting harder. But I think our 2020, 2021 and 2022 classes have shown that is not the case.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It should be pointed out that 3 of the last 5 championship teams basically went 6 deep in the championship game: UConn - 2015, ND - 2018, Baylor - 2019. If you have the right 6 players, under the right coach, you can still win a championship.
The obvious should also be pointed out here. Clearly we have the right coach. Since none of those championship teams were UCONN, then clearly UCONN didn't have the right 6 players. Therefore UCONN should probably get more than 6 -just to be on the safe side.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The obvious should also be pointed out here. Clearly we have the right coach. Since none of those championship teams were UCONN, then clearly UCONN didn't have the right 6 players. Therefore UCONN should probably get more than 6 -just to be on the safe side.
Huh? UConn -2015 used only 6 players vs ND in the championship, unless you count Gabby who played only 3 minutes with a stat line of 0-1 with a pf.

Reaction Score
Geno is handling recruiting and can be and has been legitimately criticized for the results. It has been 4 seasons (2016-20) not three. In those 4 seasons although playing at an AA level (Gabby, Napheesa & Megan) either the starting UCONN PF or C or both has been 5'11" or 6'1" respectively. It has also been 3 seasons (since 2017) when Saniya Chong graduated that UCONN has has a three guards as part of the regular rotation.
This may not be Amazon and the recruiting near misses have been well documented but the results can be questioned as Jeff Jacobs and others have done.

Geno himself has questioned the results.
“It’s more of a function of two recruiting classes we had sucked,” he said on why the team plays with six players."

Thank you for your post! So I would love for folks to discern the words sucked used by Geno and horrendous used by me.

Reaction Score
But why should the greatest college bball program of all time put only 6 eggs in the basket and take that sort of risk? If just one gets slightly hurt or in foul trouble, disaster awaits. UConn should have 10 real contributors and 2-4 in the wings developing their game or rehabbing an injury at all times in my opinion

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Huh? UConn -2015 used only 6 players vs ND in the championship, unless you count Gabby who played only 3 minutes with a stat line of 0-1 with a pf.
Good Lord? UCONN 2015? Lawd have mercy! Are you talking 2014-15 with Stokes and Chong coming off the bench or 2015-16 with Gabby, Napheesa, & Natalie, Saniya all coming off the bench?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thank you for your post! So I would love for folks to discern the words sucked used by Geno and horrendous used by me.
People should and will also discern that Geno said two recruiting class that sucked. You post said four years of horrendous recruiting. Both you and Geno were exaggerating IMO.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But why should the greatest college bball program of all time put only 6 eggs in the basket and take that sort of risk? If just one gets slightly hurt or in foul trouble, disaster awaits. UConn should have 10 real contributors and 2-4 in the wings developing their game or rehabbing an injury at all times in my opinion
Please don’t misunderstand me. I would love to have UConn field a team that goes 8-9 deep in big games. I was responding to a post that argued that a team could not win a National Championship with only 6 players contributing, which has clearly happened in 3 of the last 5 championships, including UConn’s 2015 championship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good Lord? UCONN 2015? Lawd have mercy! Are you talking 2014-15 with Stokes and Chong coming off the bench or 2015-16 with Gabby, Napheesa, & Natalie, Saniya all coming off the bench?
Your memory needs jogging. Please take a look at the 2015 championship box score vs ND. UConn started KML, Stewie, Mo, Tuck & Kia. Kiah Stokes played 10 minutes off the bench and made meaningful contributions to UConn’s effort. As I pointed out, freshman Gabby Williams played just 3 minutes with no significant contribution. Saniya did not play at all in that game. That clearly indicates UConn won a championship with only 6 players making meaningful contributions.

I never suggested the 2016 championship was achieved using only 6 players. During that season, UConn clearly had 8 contributors during their championship run until Lou went down with a broken foot.

Reaction Score
I thing the word suck is more subjective than the word horrendous...but English aint my strong suit though I once got a 100 on a speling test.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

For starters, Geno said 2 years and you said 4.

Reaction Score
You havent provided 1 piece of evidence to back up your claim. Why dont you do some of the homework and actually come back with an informational post?
I took roster info from the American since it’s inception. I didn’t want to cherry pick teams and it’s probably the most diverse conference in the country for a # of reasons so I figured it would give us an accurate idea. Teams entered the AAC at different times so I just took data from the season they entered the league on. Again this is every teams roster info every season since the leagues inception.

*Average # of players on roster:

UCONN - 10.7

Cincy - 13.4
ECU - 13.7
Hous - 13.9
Mem - 13.0
SMU - 12.9
Temple - 12.9
Tulane - 12.5
Tulsa - 13.7
UCF - 13.0
USF - 14.3
WSU - 15.0

*Average of all other AAC teams - 13.5 players

Houston had a roster size of 14 or more players in 6 of their 7 seasons in the conference including a full roster of 15 once.

UCF had 14+ players 3 times in 7 seasons and twice had full 15 player rosters.

Tulsa had 14+ 3 times in their 6 seasons including a full 15 once.

Memphis had 14+ twice in 7 seasons and one of 15.

ECU had 14+ 4 times and 15 once in 6 seasons.

SMU had 14+ 4 times in 7 seasons.

Temple had 14+ 3 times in 7 seasons.

Wichita St was in the AAC for 3 seasons and had full 15 player rosters all 3 seasons.

USF had 14+ 6 out of 7 seasons with a full 15 players 3 times.

Cincinnati had 14+ 3 times and twice a full 15 player roster in their 7 seasons.

Those are the facts. You had said Geno was trending towards large rosters by potentially taking 12-13 players and all I said was really it’s him trending away from smaller rosters. I wasn’t being a jerk or confrontational at all but you insisted on repeatedly telling me how wrong I was and told me I needed to ‘do my homework’ so I did my homework.

Also you can plug in the majority of almost any team and the results are similar. Stanford always has 14+, Baylor, Maryland, South Carolina, Oregon, Miss St etc. Notre Dame is one other team that at times I know has used a smaller roster of 10ish. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom