Azura | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azura

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bovine scatology! If she remained at Duke or choose another college UConn would be without an experienced not to mention a very talented big for the next two seasons while next season Collier version 2 gets acclimated to the UConn way. Now UConn is the lead dog to win the national championship this season and next season. Without Azura I don't believe they would be as heavy favorites. Even Geno considered 2016-17 season a most fortunate anomaly. Not having a big cost UConn the NCAA championship not to mention not having a MoJeff or a Kelly F to shutdown a guard with a hot hand. Perhaps one of the freshmen will emerge as a shutdown defender Coombs? Gordon? One of them is supposed to like defense. A shutdown defender at guard would be nice. Last season UConn's team defense was very good but they had no consistent shutdown defender particularly at guard. Nurse is a good defender but not in the class of MoJeff or Kell F. With such a defender Vivians or Williams would have been held to single figures or taken completely out of the offense thus disrupting Miss St's offense. With Azure Duke might have won the NCAA championship last season. The luck was Azura deciding to leave Duke making her available to UConn. We shall see how all these opinions pan out. :cool:

Blah Blah Blah!
“Luck Is What Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"
Seneca
Despite ALL the short comings you mentioned UCONN was prepared enough to have an Undefeated regular season -WITHOUT AZURA'

Reaction Score
Bovine scatology! If she remained at Duke or choose another college UConn would be without an experienced not to mention a very talented big for the next two seasons while next season Collier version 2 gets acclimated to the UConn way. Now UConn is the lead dog to win the national championship this season and next season. Without Azura I don't believe they would be as heavy favorites. Even Geno considered 2016-17 season a most fortunate anomaly. Not having a big cost UConn the NCAA championship not to mention not having a MoJeff or a Kelly F to shutdown a guard with a hot hand. Perhaps one of the freshmen will emerge as a shutdown defender Coombs? Gordon? One of them is supposed to like defense. A shutdown defender at guard would be nice. Last season UConn's team defense was very good but they had no consistent shutdown defender particularly at guard. Nurse is a good defender but not in the class of MoJeff or Kell F. With such a defender Vivians or Williams would have been held to single figures or taken completely out of the offense thus disrupting Miss St's offense. With Azure Duke might have won the NCAA championship last season. The luck was Azura deciding to leave Duke making her available to UConn. We shall see how all these opinions pan out. :cool:
I don't buy the "luck" of Z's transfer. Why not say that it was "luck" that Wilson decided originally not to go to UConn or that EDD decided to leave Storrs after one day? As Bill Belichick is wont to say, it is what it is. UConn earns all of its players, because it has so clearly the best coaching staff, not only in WCBB, but maybe in any collegiate sport.

Reaction Score
I've no doubt Azura will have a fine 1st year as a Husky. Barring injury, I doubt I'll witness a fluke like I witnessed in the national semi-final and fully expect UCONN to go wire to wire.

As far as NPOY goes......there isn't a player in America that can impact a game from baseline to baseline in the fashion that Gabby Williams can. Gabby may win the award, or she may not. That doesn't alter the fact that she has the most complete skillset on BOTH ends of the floor and in transition.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
I don't buy the "luck" of Z's transfer. Why not say that it was "luck" that Wilson decided originally not to go to UConn or that EDD decided to leave Storrs after one day? As Bill Belichick is wont to say, it is what it is. UConn earns all of its players, because it has so clearly the best coaching staff, not only in WCBB, but maybe in any collegiate sport.
The luck may be walking away from a Duke degree going into her junior year, very few have done that.
Then there is that under table stuff that pops up ever so often. I am a old man and luck has played a big
part in getting me here today.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
The luck may be walking away from a Duke degree going into her junior year, very few have done that.
Then there is that under table stuff that pops up ever so often. I am a old man and luck has played a big
part in getting me here today.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The luck may be walking away from a Duke degree going into her junior year, very few have done that. Then there is that under table stuff that pops up ever so often. I am a old man and luck has played a big part in getting me here today.

"Under table stuff?" What are you talking about?

Reaction Score
Z and KLS will battle it out for NPOY!
Last year, as great as UConn was, they did not have anyone who could consistently block shots or defend the drives the best guards killed them with. Z will likely do all the dirty work needed for a championship. With so many great UConn scorers, unlikely her offensive performance will be POY level, but predict Z will be one of the great "Geno type players."

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Blah Blah Blah!
“Luck Is What Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"
Seneca
Despite ALL the short comings you mentioned UConn was prepared enough to have an Undefeated regular season -WITHOUT AZURA'

And they did not have an undefeated season and post-season. But they will in 2017-18 with Azurá.

By the way, if you must use quotes, then credit it specifically. Your quote is credited to Seneca the Younger who may or may not have prepared to meet his opportunity, his opportunity to be poisoned by himself. Apparently his quote is good for bad luck as well.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I don't buy the "luck" of Z's transfer.

What does this mean? The luck to which I referred is Stevens deciding to become available to other colleges. Who forecasted this? No one. Who disparately needed her skill set? UCONN. Luck out! Was the pursuing and successful recruiting luck? No. She played USA B-ball with several of her current teammates. They had to be all over Stevens to get her to UCONN. Geno and CD are quite good at recruiting. He understates. However, if she stays at Duke, there is no opportunity to recruit her. The luck is simply the opportunity presenting itself.
I view it not unlike receiving a sales territory with a very large account which unfortunately has enough software "seats" for two years. No opportunity to sell software, just maintain it. In July you get call saying this account has just acquired a large company and they want the acquired company to use the same systems which use your software. You just lucked into a great opportunity to kill your quota. Stevens is the acquired company and UCONN has just nailed down their next two NCAA Championships.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What does this mean? The luck to which I referred is Stevens deciding to become available to other colleges. Who forecasted this? No one. Who disparately needed her skill set? UConn. Luck out! Was the pursuing and successful recruiting luck? No. She played USA B-ball with several of her current teammates. They had to be all over Stevens to get her to UConn. Geno and CD are quite good at recruiting. He understates. However, if she stays at Duke, there is no opportunity to recruit her. The luck is simply the opportunity presenting itself.
I view it not unlike receiving a sales territory with a very large account which unfortunately has enough software "seats" for two years. No opportunity to sell software, just maintain it. In July you get call saying this account has just acquired a large company and they want the acquired company to use the same systems which use your software. You just lucked into a great opportunity to kill your quota. Stevens is the acquired company and UConn has just nailed down their next two NCAA Championships.
So any transfer then would be luck, right?
Or is it just the transfers that end up choosing UCONN?
BTW those are trick questions. By my count there were 6 players ranked ahead of Azura in the 2014 class that transferred. One of those players was a transfer from UCONN to USC. Was USC lucky and UCONN unlucky in that case?

Reaction Score
And they did not have an undefeated season and post-season. But they will in 2017-18 with Azurá.

By the way, if you must use quotes, then credit it specifically. Your quote is credited to Seneca the Younger who may or may not have prepared to meet his opportunity, his opportunity to be poisoned by himself. Apparently his quote is good for bad luck as well.
I admit that I'm one of the world's worst pedants, even while criticizing others for the same, which means you can throw in the charge of hypocrisy. But here goes:
1. We do not know that Seneca said this. It's been attributed to him recently, but there is no ancient text that contains the quotation, and, further, Seneca was a Stoic, and this is not a Stoic sentiment.
2. He didn't commit suicide by poison, but rather by the knife. And had he not killed himself, he would have been tortured by the (by that time) insane Nero. As well, suicide most certainly was a Stoic practice.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I admit that I'm one of the world's worst pedants, even while criticizing others for the same, which means you can throw in the charge of hypocrisy. But here goes:
1. We do not know that Seneca said this. It's been attributed to him recently, but there is no ancient text that contains the quotation, and, further, Seneca was a Stoic, and this is not a Stoic sentiment.
2. He didn't commit suicide by poison, but rather by the knife. And had he not killed himself, he would have been tortured by the (by that time) insane Nero. As well, suicide most certainly was a Stoic practice.
I'm certainly happy you cleared that up. :cool:

Reaction Score
Stewie allowed MoJeff a lot of leeway, by being the last line of defense on those last 2 UConn teams. Last year there wasn't someone to wipe out misses, with Azura you have that big.

Reaction Score
Not having a big cost UConn the NCAA championship not to mention not having a MoJeff or a Kelly F to shutdown a guard with a hot hand. Perhaps one of the freshmen will emerge as a shutdown defender Coombs? Gordon? One of them is supposed to like defense. A shutdown defender at guard would be nice. Last season UConn's team defense was very good but they had no consistent shutdown defender particularly at guard. Nurse is a good defender but not in the class of MoJeff or Kell F. With such a defender Vivians or Williams would have been held to single figures or taken completely out of the offense thus disrupting Miss St's offense.

This is just false. William shot 6 of 17 (35%) and Vivians shot 6 of 18(33%) in the Final Four game. Not exactly great shooting numbers. The reason UConn lost was due to their ineffectiveness on offense, not defense.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
You guys are nuts.. Aja Wilson is the most Dominant Player in WCB?
The same Aja Wilson who got out played by Gabby Williams last year in Storrs?
That same Wilson who UCONN exposed as big and slow defensively and limited offensively?
Giving up Layup after layup with each blow-by? I'm sorry I'm still not that impressed..
A good player? Yes!! The best Center? perhaps.. The most dominant player? I don't think so..

I'll take Collier's Skill-set and numbers any day over Aja's, just saying..
And with Z on the court, That's like having two Collier's on the same team..

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
How can any great player who wants an NCAA Championship, who wants to become a great player not want to play for Geno if there is an opportunity to play? It is my opinion and I dont have any first hand knowledge that Z's sister DeSheana (former BE Freshman of the Year at St Johns) wouldve been a Husky if EDD didnt commit to UConn. JMO folks I have no first hand knowledge. With EDD coming DeSheana had not much of a chance of starting on that team. I believe thats why Geno backed off her. Z had a chance to come to UConn to fill a need in the post and lets face it there are problems on the Du ke team. What problems transfers, ala Sierra Calhoun one of the biggest coverups which I do know about. Mike Flynn of the Belles nailed it. Some didnt like Mike Flynns comments but he nailed it. So Z leaves and goes to the greatest program with the Greatest Coaching. Its a no brainer.

Reaction Score
A bowl of my morning Frosted Flakes - does it get any better? Always appreciate you in the morning Tonyc:D

Reaction Score
This is just false. William shot 6 of 17 (35%) and Vivians shot 6 of 18(33%) in the Final Four game. Not exactly great shooting numbers. The reason UConn lost was due to their ineffectiveness on offense, not defense.
Don't disagree, but, would also add, especially on re-watching the game...Miss State seemed to be a bit more hungry...just seemed like they got a lot of the rebounds, & loose balls, that we normally get...and, let's be honest, it would have helped to have some height in the post...just saying'.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You guys are nuts.. Aja Wilson is the most Dominant Player in WCB?
The same Aja Wilson who got out played by Gabby Williams last year in Storrs?
That same Wilson who UConn exposed as big and slow defensively and limited offensively?
Giving up Layup after layup with each blow-by? I'm sorry I'm still not that impressed..
A good player? Yes!! The best Center? perhaps.. The most dominant player? I don't think so..

I'll take Collier's Skill-set and numbers any day over Aja's, just saying..
And with Z on the court, That's like having two Collier's on the same team..
LoL. Yes I would gladly take 2 Colliers (Gabby and Napheesa) over 1 Wilson. The WNBA GM will get to make the choice of Wilson over Gabby next April.
You need to Go back and watch the replay of the South Carolina game because Wilson was not matched up against Gabby. That was Coates that Gabby repeatedly blew by.

Reaction Score
I think Azura on the court will benefit Collier the most, and that is why Collier will be NPOY.
I think Azura on the court will benefit Collier the most, and that is why Collier will be NPOY.
Agreed Collier had two and sometimes three defenders on her in the post. Azura will take this heat off because she can do some of Colliers stuff. Then Collier can also roam more and hit from the outside. Who do you check?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Stewie allowed MoJeff a lot of leeway, by being the last line of defense on those last 2 UConn teams. Last year there wasn't someone to wipe out misses, with Azura you have that big.
The post that you were replying to asserted that last year, UConn did not have a perimeter defender in the class of Moriah or Kelly to limit a hot guard on the opposing team, and that this cost them in the Mississippi State game. I agree that was a factor, but it should be noted that the reason for that was that Gabby had to defend the post (as best she could). With Azura and Batouly in the mix, Gabby will not need to play in the paint on defense, and that will allow her to be the perimeter defender at the level of Moriah or Kelly that she is certainly capable of being.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom