Azura | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Azura

Reaction Score
Nope

Gabby was a point guard in HS. She became a post out of necessity. She was so good at it that people forgot she was a guard. Now she is back shooting three's all summer and will have no problem replacing Chong. Just wondering how an all-american starter could be replaced by an inexperience sophomore point guard. As good as Jefferson was, she didn't become relevant until her junior year. Dangerfield has plenty of time to grow and learn. Except for the Baylor game she was pretty average the whole year.

Reaction Score
I bet you thought chong wasn't starting last season! So who plays pg along with nurse? Don't even say gabby or kls because they are not guards. Dangerfield will run the point that is why geno recruited her. Geno will not forget how collier played against miss st in the ff. She will come off the bench to give Z a break. KLS will get the most playing time.

Crystal won't start. There is no way Collier won't be in the starting lineup. She's a first team all American. Maybe KLS will be the 2 on offense, but guard the 3 on defense if the opposing 2 gives her trouble. Gabby could easily then guard the 2 guard. It should be obvious the starting lineup will be Kia,KLS,Gabby,Collier,Stevens.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't quite see how Napheesa / Batouly / Kyla can effectively guard opposing post players who are in the 6-4 to 6-7 height range.

Two points to consider: Those posts are going to be run into an oxygen tent. An occasional post will get her points, but the offensive fire power of this team will prevail absent a bizzare event such as Ms ST.

Reaction Score
Nah, she had more moments than just the Baylor game. Few freshmen have 114/53 A/TO ratios.

Few freshmen play for UConn with three first team all-Americans and a Canadian National team starter.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Few freshmen play for UConn with three first team all-Americans and a Canadian National team starter.

Jefferson played with Stewart, KML, Hartley, Dolson, and Farris as a frosh and didn't put up those numbers. Beyond that, Dangerfield had her share of court time with the bench.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There seems to be an absolute conviction by some on this board that UConn must start a true pg or the Huskies will be doomed next year. I get where this is coming from. Mo was an extraordinary pg who had the ball in her hand most of the time on offense. But basketball is changing. The conventional 1-5 positions are passe. The best teams don't play with a true center or pg anymore. Everbody handles the ball, passes the ball and shoots the ball. Think of the Golden State Warriors. Steph Curry is not a true pg.

This past season, UConn had 5 players with over 100 assists, with the "center" leading the team. You can say that either Kia or Saniya was the pg of the team, but the truth is they were both combo guards who handled the ball like everyone else in the flow of the offense. UConn does not need a true pg. Z will start along with Gabby, Lou, Pheesa & Kia. Danger will get her minutes, particularly when Geno wants to speed up the game and break the other team's will.

Reaction Score
Jefferson played with Stewart, KML, Hartley, Dolson, and Farris as a frosh and didn't put up those numbers. Beyond that, Dangerfield had her share of court time with the bench.

Jefferson was at the end of the bench in her freshman year. Compare minutes. Hard to get assists when all the starters are gone and you are in to kill time.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I bet you thought chong wasn't starting last season! So who plays pg along with nurse? Don't even say gabby or kls because they are not guards. Dangerfield will run the point that is why geno recruited her. Geno will not forget how collier played against miss st in the ff. She will come off the bench to give Z a break. KLS will get the most playing time.

Was KLS the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th most consistent player last season? Same for Collier. Geno wants consistency. He has said many times he wants to know what a player can deliver for every game. Rank last year's players by their consistency as you saw them,

Reaction Score
Geno will not forget how collier played against miss st in the ff. She will come off the bench to give Z a break. KLS will get the most playing time.

Collier was awful in the MSU game, no question, but in Geno's mind that will not undo a year's worth of consistent, All-American-level play.

She will start. In fact, all 4 returning starters will start.

The question is whether Stevens or Dangerfield is the 6th "man".

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jefferson was at the end of the bench in her freshman year. Compare minutes. Hard to get assists when all the starters are gone and you are in to kill time.

Jefferson was on the bench but not at the end. She was 6th in minutes, averaging more than Doty, Stokes, Tuck, Banks, and Buck.

Reaction Score
Collier was awful in the MSU game, no question, but in Geno's mind that will not undo a year's worth of consistent, All-American-level play.

She will start. In fact, all 4 returning starters will start.

The question is whether Stevens or Dangerfield is the 6th "man".

Not much of a question at all.

Reaction Score
There seems to be an absolute conviction by some on this board that UConn must start a true pg or the Huskies will be doomed next year. I get where this is coming from. Mo was an extraordinary pg who had the ball in her hand most of the time on offense. But basketball is changing. The conventional 1-5 positions are passe. The best teams don't play with a true center or pg anymore. Everbody handles the ball, passes the ball and shoots the ball. Think of the Golden State Warriors. Steph Curry is not a true pg.

This past season, UConn had 5 players with over 100 assists, with the "center" leading the team. You can say that either Kia or Saniya was the pg of the team, but the truth is they were both combo guards who handled the ball like everyone else in the flow of the offense. UConn does not need a true pg. Z will start along with Gabby, Lou, Pheesa & Kia. Danger will get her minutes, particularly when Geno wants to speed up the game and break the other team's will.

With Geno's particular problem - he will be fielding those that are immediately, uniquely, required at the moment. With Golden State Vs Uconn in type of player, level, experience--that's apples and watermelons---However I agree THIS particular team has many on it--starting 5 or bench--that are ball handlers/passers/ now the issue is knowing the system--how deep does that go? We are fairly certain of 4, maybe 5--beyond that--only Geno knows for sure--and his hair dress won't tell.

Reaction Score
I know many kids that would love to play as far down on any bench as Moriah did her Fosh season. Y

Reaction Score
Don't sell Batouly "short". At 6'2" she has "Tuck-like" strength and footwork. As a freshman at KY, Batouly had her best game vs SC in Columbia.
Cute--that's a comment only a Broadway poster would make--"Sell----Short".

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Moriah was hardly at the end of the bench. She averaged more minutes than several bench players. With Doty a shell of her former self there were opportunities for more minutes but Moriah's play didn't earn Geno's trust. I bet if Geno were asked which guard he trusted more as a freshman he would say Crystal. That's not to say Crystal didn't struggle as surely she did, but she was better than freshman Moriah. The question now is how good Crystal becomes and will she be as good as Moriah was as a junior and senior. That is a very tall task.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

And putting the teams best passing forward at the 2 works for me.

Reaction Score
Another potential problem is that there is really no backup for Azura. That is where Natalie's departure will hurt. If Azura gets in foul trouble or needs a rest, UConn will return to playing the way it did last year, with Gabby trying to guard the paint. I don't quite see how Napheesa / Batouly / Kyla can effectively guard opposing post players who are in the 6-4 to 6-7 height range.
Your hypothesis I believe is a true one---No (true) backup---as I see it with NUMBERS that geno didn't have this past season--Geno will defend with numbers--now he can afford a few more fouls for Collier and Gabby--I won't pull any kid from the Roster (except 4-maybe 5) that will fill that bill--but if all the press and supposition is correct--Batouly and maybe Kyla --will make up or the loss of a big.
I like Butler, still like Natalie--but the truth is and was--she was flatfooted, slow, and not athletic--how would she fit in subbing for Azura- in the new up tempo system, Z spoke about, Z who is everything she wasn't??
The defense of 6-4 and up post player was the Achilles heel this past season--yet early on Uconn went up against Baylor and Texas and later on USC --more fouls, I believe occurred in the MD than in those 2--from a failing memory and Md's big was what 6-2?? Point is--height, isn't always as effective a we may think--even with Griner Geno found a way..

Reaction Score
Moriah was hardly at the end of the bench. She averaged more minutes than several bench players. With Doty a shell of her former self there were opportunities for more minutes but Moriah's play didn't earn Geno's trust. I bet if Geno were asked which guard he trusted more as a freshman he would say Crystal. That's not to say Crystal didn't struggle as surely she did, but she was better than freshman Moriah. The question now is how good Crystal becomes and will she be as good as Moriah was as a junior and senior. That is a very tall task.
At this time last year I anointed Danger--Moriah jr---with defense, concussions, freshman problems--she didn't live up to my (overly high) expectations---Geno at the end of last season--in the NCAA's put Danger into a lot of games--the trust was there (also knowing her limitation)--I think she will blossom --she is still only a new soph. I am now anointing Walker the very best Walker Uconn has had in the past 10 years (women that is).

Reaction Score
I think Coombs will also be an outstanding PG.
I hope your faith in what you saw in Kentucky is rewarded at Uconn---As JoeP pointed out there will be games where a strong tough is needed--Dangers asset is speed and size---her limitation is size--adding all her PG assets to the mix.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With Geno's particular problem - he will be fielding those that are immediately, uniquely, required at the moment. With Golden State Vs UConn in type of player, level, experience--that's apples and watermelons---However I agree THIS particular team has many on it--starting 5 or bench--that are ball handlers/passers/ now the issue is knowing the system--how deep does that go? We are fairly certain of 4, maybe 5--beyond that--only Geno knows for sure--and his hair dress won't tell.
Don't think for a second that Geno doesn't watch what the pros are doing and then implement some of those schemes at UConn. Geno's all-time favorite team was the Knicks with Reed, Dubussere, Bradley, Frazier & Barnett, 5 players who could all pass and shoot the ball. Last summer he picked Pops brain in SA.

Geno is personally killing the entire concept of a traditional, big, slow post player in WBB. 4 years of Stewie's athleticism put it on life support, and all of the wins against top 10 teams with big posts this past year, with UConn matching their size with a 5'11" super-athlete put the final nail in the coffin.

Geno will kill the traditional pg as well. His motion offense requires that everyone can move, handle the ball, pass and shoot. Against pressing teams, Geno often has his center and forwards bring the ball up because they usually have a distinct athletic advantage over the players covering them. Geno also likes size at all 5 positions so he can switch anytime on defense.

Reaction Score
Two points to consider: Those posts are going to be run into an oxygen tent. An occasional post will get her points, but the offensive fire power of this team will prevail absent a bizzare event such as Ms ST.
Two comments --when I stop giggling--"oxygen tent""---If Z is accurate that is Geno's emphasis--fast and accurate--rebound and go--
The Bizarre Ms St game happens only once every 27.4 years with a Geno team --I have suspicion Geno may retire before another 27 years come to pass!! Oh, how I'd love to have this set of players get to play that game again--only 2 personnel changes --everything the same.

Reaction Score
Don't think for a second that Geno doesn't watch what the pros are doing and then implement some of those schemes at UConn. Geno's all-time favorite team was the Knicks with Reed, Dubussere, Bradley, Frazier & Barnett, 5 players who could all pass and shoot the ball. Last summer he picked Pops brain in SA.

Geno is personally killing the entire concept of a traditional, big, slow post player in WBB. 4 years of Stewie's athleticism put it on life support, and all of the wins against top 10 teams with big posts this past year, with UConn matching their size with a 5'11" super-athlete put the final nail in the coffin.

Geno will kill the traditional pg as well. His motion offense requires that everyone can move, handle the ball, pass and shoot. Against pressing teams, Geno often has his center and forwards bring the ball up because they usually have a distinct athletic advantage over the players covering them. Geno also likes size at all 5 positions so he can switch anytime on defense.

If you drink heavily from the Geno kool aid---and hang on his every word--you would have OFTEN heard him say----I take from every good coach--he admitted he took from Harry P or Doug--
so there is no denying he takes from the Pros' That wasn't my comment---

Geno in a comment about guards--said you need good guards to win--he played three often.

Geno before Stewie --used a quick agile fast post --and her defense was amazing---the pro's seem to think so too--
Steff was a medium speed, medium athletic--but she filled the bill==
You are RUBBING it in --to Baylor, Tx, USC---"matching up their size with 5'11 super athlete--
Can't argue with the truth.

Geno since he arrived at Uconn, limited by players, has pushed the speed of the game--he loves the short clock times, he loves the new view of the game--this is the game, I believe, he envisioned--or getting to be.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't sell Batouly "short". At 6'2" she has "Tuck-like" strength and footwork. As a freshman at KY, Batouly had her best game vs SC in Columbia.
Batouly seems solid, but Morgan was much more polished on the offensive end and a better FT shooter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom