Aubrey Griffin Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin Scouting Report

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK guys, here is my scouting report on UConn recruit Aubrey Griffin:

Pre-game: Aubrey is comfortable shooting layups with either hand, which is not surprising, because all 17 members of Ossining’s girls team are taught by Coach Ricci to shoot layups with their right hand on the right side of the basket and their left hand on the left side of the basket – NO EXCEPTIONS. Ossining also incorporates the same 3 player weave that UConn employs as part of their warmup. During the shootaround, Aubrey didn’t simply float around the perimeter and shoot the ball. She worked over and over again on catching the ball at the foul line with her back to the basket and then turning around to shoot a jumper. I assume this had something to do with a pregame scout of Longwood’s zone defense, But once the game started, Longwood played predominantly man defense. When they did go to zone, Aubrey did flash to the foul line, but she was usually doubled front and back so the she never actually had a chance to take the shot she worked on so hard in warmups.

Athleticism: Aubrey is long and lean. Think of a 6’1” version of Liv. Her long legs and explosive speed allow her to get down the court really fast. She is also stronger then she looks, finishing at the rim several times against hard contact. Aubrey also has long arms and quick hands, something that gives her the potential to be a great defensive player

Scoring: Aubrey has a very smooth shooting stroke. Almost all her jumpers were mid-range shots. While she did not shoot particularly well, even though she scored 37 pts, I have no doubt that she will be a very good mid-range shooter at the next level. As for her 3pt shot, she took only one all game and hit nothing but net. While Aubrey will be a good shooter at the next level, it is her explosive ability with the ball in her hands in the open court that sets her apart. She has another gear on the fast break. She can turn defenders around with her crossover move at full speed and finishes strong at the basket with either hand.

Passing: I only had Aubrey down for 3 assists all game, but that’s not really fair to her passing. On at least 4 occasions, Aubrey delivered perfect passes to her teammates who subsequently missed layups.

Handle: There were times when I had to remind myself that Aubrey is 6’1”. She has an excellent handle with either hand. Great crossover, behind the back etc.

Rebounding: Aubrey had 14 for the game, and didn’t really spend a lot of time in the lane on defense as she was guarding the opposing team’s pg. She is very quick jumper off the floor. On a couple occasions, Aubrey rebounded her own miss for a putback.

Defense: The game within the game was Aubrey matched up against the 2nd best player on the floor, Longwood’s 5’9” pg, Janelle Brown. Brown is only a junior and, dare I say, she reminds me of Crystal. She is strong, lightning quick, pick your pocket on defense, great passer and great shooter. Syracuse Ast Coach Tammi Reiss was at the game, undoubtedly scouting Brown for the Orange. So Aubrey won the center jump and then matched up against Longwood’s pg and their best player for most of the game. Aubrey scored 37 points and worked incredibly hard on defense. She got into an excellent defensive stance, moved her feet well and usually played off Brown just enough so she couldn’t blow by her off the dribble. She harassed Brown and her teammates with her long arms and quick hands. However, there were a couple occasions when Aubrey got a little tight to Brown, and Brown blew by her. In the 2nd half, on two occasions, Coach Ricci went to a zone, probably to give Aubrey a break on defense. On both occasions, Brown shredded the Ossining zone for easy layups or assists, or she knocked down 3pt shots, forcing Ossining to go back to man with Aubrey covering her. Brown fouled out of the game with a couple minutes left so Aubrey went from guarding Longwood’s pg to guarding their center. Obviously, she is a versatile defender. Not quite Gabbyesque, but she’s still young.

I had Aubrey for 3 steals and 2 blocks. Her length. quickness and range make her very dangerous on the defensive end. She came out of nowhere to poach the passing lanes for two of her steals. One of her blocks had the crowd on their feet as she closed out from the paint to extend her long arm and block a shot at the arc. On the negative side, Aubrey had several “fly by” moves when she left her feet to contest a shot, only to have a Longwood player put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. I’m certain that UConn’s staff will work hard with Aubrey to teach her to close on a shooter and breakdown into a defensive stance.

Negatives: As pointed out, Aubrey is really lean and will certainly need to add some muscle to compete at the next level. My other negative was that on a few occasions, when Longwood was on a fast break, Aubrey did not hustle back on defense. I suspect that Geno will fix that issue within 10 minutes after Aubrey’s first practice at UConn.

Overall: Aubrey is long, athletic and very skilled. She scored 37 points while also handling the toughest defensive assignment against Longwood’s best player. I don’t expect her to contribute immediately at UConn. Like all freshmen, she has a lot to learn. In time, she will be a very good player for UConn. Whether that happens next season or the season after remains to be seen.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So may we conclude from this that you do NOT expect Aubrey to be the 5th starter next year, in addition to Crystal / Christyn / Meg / ONO? That is what I would have expected -- that she won't be.

So that means that the 5th starter will be someone already on the team. If Batouly is healthy, I would expect that she would have the inside track, despite her limited minutes this year. If she isn't physically ready or otherwise not ready in Geno's estimation, then the lineup will be rather small as the choice will be between Mikayla and Molly.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So may we conclude from this that you do NOT expect Aubrey to be the 5th starter next year, in addition to Crystal / Christyn / Meg / ONO? That is what I would have expected -- that she won't be.

So that means that the 5th starter will be someone already on the team. If Batouly is healthy, I would expect that she would have the inside track, despite her limited minutes this year. If she isn't physically ready or otherwise not ready in Geno's estimation, then the lineup will be rather small as the choice will be between Mikayla and Molly.
Right now, Mikayla would be my 5th starter. But Aubrey has a lot of time until next season to get stronger and compete for the job. There is also the possibility of players coming in as grad transfers or European recruits. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Old dude’s analysis is spot on. My only add would be that I saw only one three point make, allowing for I missed the first quarter. Not sure this is a part of her game.

Geno is back from Croatia and was at the game w/ his wife. Spotted him as he was leaving. Told me he returned in order to watch Aubrey play. Said he liked her game, and smiled as he spoke. When I questioned whether she could make the three, he asked —-didn’t I see her last shot which was a made three.

Pretty impressive that only last night I saw his pix on the BY last night w/ the young lady in Poland, and this noon he was in Troy watching Aubrey. Have to say he looked tired.

Reaction Score
Excellent, comprehensive report. I was privileged to be there for every bounce of the ball. The only add I would offer is Aubrey is clearly a great teammate. She supported her mates always, congratulated them frequently and smiled often. With open arms, we will welcome her....

Reaction Score
Batouly played really well in one start with the most minutes I've ever seen her play. Only Geno and his staff knows why she doesn't play more.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Pre-game: Aubrey is comfortable shooting layups with either hand, which is not surprising, because all 17 members of Ossining’s girls team are taught by Coach Ricci to shoot layups with their right hand on the right side of the basket and their left hand on the left side of the basket – NO EXCEPTIONS. Ossining also incorporates the same 3 player weave that UConn employs as part of their warmup. During the shootaround, Aubrey didn’t simply float around the perimeter and shoot the ball. She worked over and over again on catching the ball at the foul line with her back to the basket and then turning around to shoot a jumper. I assume this had something to do with a pregame scout of Longwood’s zone defense, But once the game started, Longwood played predominantly man defense. When they did go to zone, Aubrey did flash to the foul line, but she was usually doubled front and back so the she never actually had a chance to take the shot she worked on so hard in warmups.

Athleticism: Aubrey is long and lean. Think of a 6’1” version of Liv. Her long legs and explosive speed allow her to get down the court really fast. She is also stronger then she looks, finishing at the rim several times against hard contact. Aubrey also has long arms and quick hands, something that gives her the potential to be a great defensive player

Scoring: Aubrey has a very smooth shooting stroke. Almost all her jumpers were mid-range shots. While she did not shoot particularly well, even though she scored 37 pts, I have no doubt that she will be a very good mid-range shooter at the next level. As for her 3pt shot, she took only one all game and hit nothing but net. While Aubrey will be a good shooter at the next level, it is her explosive ability with the ball in her hands in the open court that sets her apart. She has another gear on the fast break. She can turn defenders around with her crossover move at full speed and finishes strong at the basket with either hand.

Passing: I only had Aubrey down for 3 assists all game, but that’s not really fair to her passing. On at least 4 occasions, Aubrey delivered perfect passes to her teammates who subsequently missed layups.

Handle: There were times when I had to remind myself that Aubrey is 6’1”. She has an excellent handle with either hand. Great crossover, behind the back etc.

Rebounding: Aubrey had 14 for the game, and didn’t really spend a lot of time in the lane on defense as she was guarding the opposing team’s pg. She is very quick jumper off the floor. On a couple occasions, Aubrey rebounded her own miss for a putback.

Defense: The game within the game was Aubrey matched up against the 2nd best player on the floor, Longwood’s 5’9” pg, Janelle Brown. Brown is only a junior and, dare I say, she reminds me of Crystal. She is strong, lightning quick, pick your pocket on defense, great passer and great shooter. Syracuse Ast Coach Tammi Reiss was at the game, undoubtedly scouting Brown for the Orange. So Aubrey won the center jump and then matched up against Longwood’s pg and their best player for most of the game. Aubrey scored 37 points and worked incredibly hard on defense. She got into an excellent defensive stance, moved her feet well and usually played off Brown just enough so she couldn’t blow by her off the dribble. She harassed Brown and her teammates with her long arms and quick hands. However, there were a couple occasions when Aubrey got a little tight to Brown, and Brown blew by her. In the 2nd half, on two occasions, Coach Ricci went to a zone, probably to give Aubrey a break on defense. On both occasions, Brown shredded the Ossining zone for easy layups or assists, or she knocked down 3pt shots, forcing Ossining to go back to man with Aubrey covering her. Brown fouled out of the game with a couple minutes left so Aubrey went from guarding Longwood’s pg to guarding their center. Obviously, she is a versatile defender. Not quite Gabbyesque, but she’s still young.

I had Aubrey for 3 steals and 2 blocks. Her length. quickness and range make her very dangerous on the defensive end. She came out of nowhere to poach the passing lanes for two of her steals. One of her blocks had the crowd on their feet as she closed out from the paint to extend her long arm and block a shot at the arc. On the negative side, Aubrey had several “fly by” moves when she left her feet to contest a shot, only to have a Longwood player put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. I’m certain that UConn’s staff will work hard with Aubrey to teach her to close on a shooter and breakdown into a defensive stance.

Negatives: As pointed out, Aubrey is really lean and will certainly need to add some muscle to compete at the next level. My other negative was that on a few occasions, when Longwood was on a fast break, Aubrey did not hustle back on defense. I suspect that Geno will fix that issue within 10 minutes after Aubrey’s first practice at UConn.

Overall: Aubrey is long, athletic and very skilled. She scored 37 points while also handling the toughest defensive assignment against Longwood’s best player. I don’t expect her to contribute immediately at UConn. Like all freshmen, she has a lot to learn. In time, she will be a very good player for UConn. Whether that happens next season or the season after remains to be seen.

Thanks OD. Very well written. One of the best most comprehensive and objective scouting reports I've read by anyone, novice or professional. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Batouly played really well in one start with the most minutes I've ever seen her play. Only Geno and his staff knows why she doesn't play more.
I don’t think it’s a mystery why Batouly doesn’t play more. During the AAC tournament, Batouly played most of the 4th qtr in one of UConn’s blowouts. I was shocked at how much difficulty she had running the court. Either one or both of her chronically injured knees are continuing to give her problems.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I got a chance to watch the game. The only negative thing I saw was her not running hard at all times, something that, as oldude said, will be fixed quickly when she starts practice with UConn. She is impressive to watch.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s a mystery why Batouly doesn’t play more. During the AAC tournament, Batouly played most of the 4th qtr in one of UConn’s blowouts. I was shocked at how much difficulty she had running the court. Either one or both of her chronically injured knees are continuing to give her problems.

I noticed the same thing in one of her recent outings -- when the ball changed direction on a fast break, she really had to fight to pick up speed in her first few strides. It must be that physically she is just dealing with some real limitations (as some of the Horde has written about). I am crossing my fingers that she is still slowly improving , physically, so that next year might be a better story. I think I did read that she is at least feeling a lot less pain than last year , so maybe that's a sign of better things to come!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I noticed the same thing in one of her recent outings -- when the ball changed direction on a fast break, she really had to fight to pick up speed in her first few strides. It must be that physically she is just dealing with some real limitations (as some of the Horde has written about). I am crossing my fingers that she is still slowly improving , physically, so that next year might be a better story. I think I did read that she is at least feeling a lot less pain than last year , so maybe that's a sign of better things to come!
I hope for the very best for Batouly, but I fear that her knee problems are so chronically bad, that she might never be able to play again without pain.

On the plus side, Batouly works incredibly hard, just to get on the court. She appears to be a wonderful teammate and Geno thinks very highly of her.

Reaction Score
Right now, Mikayla would be my 5th starter. But Aubrey has a lot of time until next season to get stronger and compete for the job. There is also the possibility of players coming in as grad transfers or European recruits. Time will tell.
I could see Mikayla at point and Crystal to SG1, with Christin at SG2. Megan and Liv will need to be inside.

Reaction Score
I don't know about Aubrey as you do, but I suspect that Geno has spent a lot of real PT on Coombs to groom her. She'd be my choice for 5th. If Aubry is all you say she is; lean or not lean talent can make up for some lack of weight. If she is as quick as you say and shoots as well--that too will find a way into the 6th or 7th position. I fear Camara is a loyalty player for Geno (his loyalty). Molly has shown moments that she could be a potential starter only to make a frosh thing or 2 . That isn't effort or lack o f intelligence, she has both in bushels. Confidence, fear of screwing up, concentration ? I don't see those issues being ever fixed, but dang I which and plead that I am wrong, she deserves so much more. There are certain things a 2 or 3 year pre college BB player, men or women, does instinctively, that are missed.
A follow up on your dissertation from ossining : What do you see her doing next December?? Honest now!

Reaction Score
I don't know about Aubrey as you do, but I suspect that Geno has spent a lot of real PT on Coombs to groom her. She'd be my choice for 5th. If Aubry is all you say she is; lean or not lean talent can make up for some lack of weight. If she is as quick as you say and shoots as well--that too will find a way into the 6th or 7th position. I fear Camara is a loyalty player for Geno (his loyalty). Molly has shown moments that she could be a potential starter only to make a frosh thing or 2 . That isn't effort or lack o f intelligence, she has both in bushels. Confidence, fear of screwing up, concentration ? I don't see those issues being ever fixed, but dang I which and plead that I am wrong, she deserves so much more. There are certain things a 2 or 3 year pre college BB player, men or women, does instinctively, that are missed.
A follow up on your dissertation from ossining : What do you see her doing next December?? Honest now!

Despite all the training and minutes lavished on Coombs, she has not come through as a starter-type player. She's better on defense. But I would be shocked if Griffin isn't the fifth starter. And given her AA status, I think the rest of the team will expect her to start as well.

Reaction Score
Despite all the training and minutes lavished on Coombs, she has not come through as a starter-type player. She's better on defense. But I would be shocked if Griffin isn't the fifth starter. And given her AA status, I think the rest of the team will expect her to start as well.
If AG is a starter it might make us a more well-rounded team. The current options have some known flaws. I do like that Kyla understands what Geno wants, and is willing to do whatever he wants. Just wish she was a little more polished.

Reaction Score

DUDE: JUST got home from out-of-state weekend visit to old college friends, and found this SUPERB and interesting detailed report. Adding our thanks!

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I saw both games: Ossining v. Longwood and Ossining v. West Genesee and I agree, "Aubrey is long, athletic and very skilled. She scores at will from the block to the arc while also handling the toughest defensive assignment against the opposition's best player." IMHO she will step into the Huskies starting lineup and be a formidable impact player. I think she will lead the team in scoring! And along with Coombs and CW disrupt the other team's sets w/ ONO guarding the paint. Next season will be gr8!
Meanwhile, Syracuse asst coach Tammi Reiss - Miss NY State Basketball 1988 - was in the stands scouting junior PG Janelle Brown, Longwood's best player and a certain Division I prospect. I am sure Geno [who was in the gym] noticed her too esp since current PG Crystal Dangerfield will be a senior next year. Ms Brown reminds me of Alexis Peterson, Syracuse PG when they went to the Final Four 2 or 3 years ago, only Janelle is taller than Alexis. Both blazing speed!
My daughter went to the factory - Christ the King HS - before Sue Bird and Tina Charles attended and, subsequently, wound up playing professional hoops in Europe. We are still in contact with a journalist over there who says he knows of some good young post players. Anyone know how to pass this information along to the UConn coaching staff? I don't want to put it on the board for other colleges to see.

Reaction Score
I saw both games: Ossining v. Longwood and Ossining v. West Genesee and I agree, "Aubrey is long, athletic and very skilled. She scores at will from the block to the arc while also handling the toughest defensive assignment against the opposition's best player." IMHO she will step into the Huskies starting lineup and be a formidable impact player. I think she will lead the team in scoring! And along with Coombs and CW disrupt the other team's sets w/ ONO guarding the paint. Next season will be gr8!
Meanwhile, Syracuse asst coach Tammi Reiss - Miss NY State Basketball 1988 - was in the stands scouting junior PG Janelle Brown, Longwood's best player and a certain Division I prospect. I am sure Geno [who was in the gym] noticed her too esp since current PG Crystal Dangerfield will be a senior next year. Ms Brown reminds me of Alexis Peterson, Syracuse PG when they went to the Final Four 2 or 3 years ago, only Janelle is taller than Alexis. Both blazing speed!
My daughter went to the factory - Christ the King HS - before Sue Bird and Tina Charles attended and, subsequently, wound up playing professional hoops in Europe. We are still in contact with a journalist over there who says he knows of some good young post players. Anyone know how to pass this information along to the UConn coaching staff? I don't want to put it on the board for other colleges to see.
Whoa .........need to take a step back....Aubrey may become a very good UConn player someday but to say she will lead the team next year in scoring is a mighty BIG leap. Look at CW this year who was the #1 player out of HS.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whoa ....need to take a step back....Aubrey may become a very good UConn player someday but to say she will lead the team next year in scoring is a mighty BIG leap. Look at CW this year who was the #1 player out of HS.
Jingo may be out on a limb a bit, but if you’re going to dream, you might as well dream BIG.

Reaction Score
Knee pain gets to be chronic, believe me MD's say use them ,working them exercise, it all works to keep them loose,

Reaction Score
Obviously, you may be correct. It all depends on what Geno sees and Geno wants. But, he has seen something in Coombs. Also, there is the Freshmen effect : Coombs knows the system, the plays, what Geno expects. Then there is the: The top player comes in and fall flat on her face we've seen this way too often with highly regarded recruits.\\
So, you toss a coin if it comes up heads Coombs starts. If it lands on it's edge Griffin starts. It's a toss up.

Reaction Score
Hold on. So the team will expect Aubrey Griffin to start because she was a McDonald’s All-American? But they won’t expect Coombs, a McDonald’s All-American, a Jordan Brand All-American, and a former top-15 recruit to start.

To say you think Griffin will start is one thing, but to say it because of her “AA Status” when we have Coombs, who was regarded much higher, sitting on the bench doesn’t make much sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom