Assists

Reaction Score
Let that sink in for a bit...
upload_2017-11-29_8-26-14.png

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Sad.

Perhaps if we averaged the women's assists with the men's it will look much better.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The drivers tend to look for their own shot more than drive and dish. I wrote in another thread that of drive, draw and dish we have two of the three down pat.

On top of which, no one can hit an outside shot, so even if we find someone open swinging the ball, it doesn't get us anywhere in the assist column.

Reaction Score
Your assist numbers are correct, but you have to look behind the numbers to see what is going on.

First, the teams we have played so far are very good defensively. The 6 teams we have played are holding their opponents to 39.4% 2pt FG (UConn shooting 40.8%) and 31.9% 3pt FG (UConn shooting 29.0%). On 2pt FG% defense, Michigan St. is 3rd at 33.8%, Mississippi St is 11th at 35.9%, and Oregon is 19th at 36.7%.

UConn, which uses a 3 guard line-up a lot, is not shooting well from the 3 point line this year, although the teams they have played have good 3 pt FG defense. Specifically, Vital is shooting 18.5% from 3 vs. 36.6% last year and Adams is shooting 32.1% vs. 35.0% last year. I think both will improve and this will help with the assist numbers.

Next, look at this year's experience playing with each other. We have 2 players that played together last year, Adams and Vital. Clearly, the team chemistry will improve as the season goes on which will help with assists. (What are the current set plays from the guards to the big men?)

Finally, UConn's big men this season seem to have much better hands than last year, but, currently, they are not getting assists. Dave O, Cobb, Carlton, Whaley, Diarra, Williams, and Polley have combined for 4 assists in 6 games, with 26 TOs or 0.7 apg/4.3 TOs which is about what Brimah, Enoch, and Facy averaged per game last year. Larrier has been shooting and scoring well, but he has not helped with helping others score as he has 1 assist and 10 TOs.

Bottom line, UConn has been playing tough defenses so far this year and they are an inexperienced team playing with each other. The bigs need to improve, Vital needs to rebound to last year's 3 point shooting form, and Larrier needs to make some passes as the defense collapses on him. It really is that simple.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have not seen every minute of games. But when I have I do not remember any dunks.

Do we even have a dunk?
Anderson dunked on a beautiful assist from Gilbert in the Oregon game. My favorite play of the weekend. IIRC it broke a 62-62 tie and we never trailed again.

Reaction Score
Watching our offense tells you 2 things. One, our guards like to dribble around until they drive the lane. Two, they pass the ball to people who don’t make shots.

Reaction Score
And our coach was a point guard. Lmfao. The conference isn’t the problem, recruiting isn’t directly the problem. KO is the problem. Let’s stop making excuses for him.

Zzzzzzz....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The drivers tend to look for their own shot more than drive and dish.

This has a trickle down effect. When we get an offensive rebound the first thought is to shoot no matter what. Kick it out and you know you won't see it again.

Reaction Score
Your assist numbers are correct, but you have to look behind the numbers to see what is going on.

First, the teams we have played so far are very good defensively. The 6 teams we have played are holding their opponents to 39.4% 2pt FG (UConn shooting 40.8%) and 31.9% 3pt FG (UConn shooting 29.0%). On 2pt FG% defense, Michigan St. is 3rd at 33.8%, Mississippi St is 11th at 35.9%, and Oregon is 19th at 36.7%.

UConn, which uses a 3 guard line-up a lot, is not shooting well from the 3 point line this year, although the teams they have played have good 3 pt FG defense. Specifically, Vital is shooting 18.5% from 3 vs. 36.6% last year and Adams is shooting 32.1% vs. 35.0% last year. I think both will improve and this will help with the assist numbers.

Next, look at this year's experience playing with each other. We have 2 players that played together last year, Adams and Vital. Clearly, the team chemistry will improve as the season goes on which will help with assists. (What are the current set plays from the guards to the big men?)

Finally, UConn's big men this season seem to have much better hands than last year, but, currently, they are not getting assists. Dave O, Cobb, Carlton, Whaley, Diarra, Williams, and Polley have combined for 4 assists in 6 games, with 26 TOs or 0.7 apg/4.3 TOs which is about what Brimah, Enoch, and Facy averaged per game last year. Larrier has been shooting and scoring well, but he has not helped with helping others score as he has 1 assist and 10 TOs.

Bottom line, UConn has been playing tough defenses so far this year and they are an inexperienced team playing with each other. The bigs need to improve, Vital needs to rebound to last year's 3 point shooting form, and Larrier needs to make some passes as the defense collapses on him. It really is that simple.
This is all good stuff but if you watch the games the real issue is UConn doesn't actually pass the ball in a way that puts players in a position to score. Almost ever. It is the biggest problem with the offense other than the putrid shooting.

Reaction Score
I think Kwintin or Whaley need to play 15+ minutes tonight especially if Columbia plays zone. At least they seem capable of catching a lob or maybe sneaking behind the zone to finish. If not, its at least worth a try.

Reaction Score
No, that’s when they travel.

Seriously though, our guards did a horrible jobs of presenting themselves whenever Carlton, Diarra, or Onuorah had the ball this weekend.
Totally. It's easy to pick on the big guys, but most times I saw the guards get them the ball and they actually caught it, the guards did nothing after they threw the pass in. They just watched, as they tried to make a post move like they were throwing it down to Emeka Okafor. No effort at all to get open for an outlet pass. No screens going on off the ball. Like WTF is going through their heads in the half court? It's baffling given how obvious the issue is.

Unfortunately, when they do get open looks, they are still missing a ton of them inexplicably. And when they get fast breaks, they also miss.

At this point, you really do have to blame Ollie. I sincerely hope he can figure it out this season. Ollie is the best person for this job. But if he can't fix this this year and create a passable offensive strategy before the season starts, he's gotta go.

Reaction Score
Right, they pass when they can't get a shot off.
True that. Carlton Polley and Onuorah played roughly 80 minutes in total against MSU and Ark. Polley was the only player to register a field goal attempt and had three of them.

It's been said over an over again that the best players make the players around them better, and our crew hasn't quite figured that out yet. With all of the driving in the lane it is crazy to me that we haven't had an opportunities to dump the ball in the post when the big man down low hedges.

Reaction Score
Watching our offense tells you 2 things. One, our guards like to dribble around until they drive the lane. Two, they pass the ball to people who don’t make shots.
This is also true. There was a lot of hype on Vital during the preseason. Take out the BU game and he has played 100 minutes in 5 games where he is 3-28 from the floor. 3 FOR 28!!!! Head bang

He was supposed to be the sniper/floor spacer and since we don't have one the D just loads up in the box.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Anderson dunked on a beautiful assist from Gilbert in the Oregon game. My favorite play of the weekend. IIRC it broke a 62-62 tie and we never trailed again.
So, just a single dunk?

#noslammajamma

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom