Assistant coaching news... | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Assistant coaching news...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chin Diesel said:
Good profile and very good that he has plenty of ties to recruiting Virginia HS.

Virginia is the southern border of UConn's driveable recruiting range. Plenty of talent throughout the DC suburbs, Hampton Roads and Richmond.

I can tell you though, not a fun drive.... otherwise I'd be back for more games

Reaction Score
On my drive down to Charlotte for the Bowl Game, I really got fatigued at the southern virginia point. Jersey and Virginia back to back are long states to drive through.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
noeynox said:
On my drive down to Charlotte for the Bowl Game, I really got fatigued at the southern virginia point. Jersey and Virginia back to back are long states to drive through.

Not a fun drive at all. I did the drive down to Isle of Palms/Charleston and back for Christmas. By northern Virginia I was ready to tap out

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

After 9-11 I drove to Greensboro because I couldn't get a flight. I realized that if you pretend you're in New York's sphincter while driving through New Jersey it's almost a relief when 95 drops you into the hole that is Virginia.

(the quick pass through Delaware is like when you start to unroll the toilet paper)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Sorry that I'm late to chime in on this one, but it's incredible to me that a coaching staff would contain 4 former recruiting coordinators, and we aren't even done with the hiring yet! Amazing. I might be overly excited about nothing, but I'm preparing myself for an #uptick... :cool:

Reaction Score
The drives are all relative. I drive South Florida to New England at least once every year and I only find the last 6-7 hours particularly dreadful. When I drive to Charlotte NC, I am bored out of my mind by Jacksonville. It's all in the mindset.

I also find that driving alone is much better. Despite the idea that "having company" is a good thing, I find it to be a bad idea. More bathroom stops, more comments about how long the ride is and more "want me to drive yet?", and "honey, don't you think I should drive for a while?" When it's just me, I haul ass and hold pee.

Reaction Score
Another coach with HC experience (albeit interm) and associate HC experience. Tells me leadership qualities are present. Very experienced staff being put together.

Sticking with the Ansonia theme, for the love of Roger Ings the creation of the staff has been interesting to watch especially the experience factor and where on the compass new hires are coming from. Someday it would be very interesting if Coach Foley wrote a book on the transitions that he and the program have been through while coaching with different staffs at UConn. Other than Yarders I'd bet CoachFlood would buy a copy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not a fun drive at all. I did the drive down to Isle of Palms/Charleston and back for Christmas. By northern Virginia I was ready to tap out
After 9-11 I drove to Greensboro because I couldn't get a flight. I realized that if you pretend you're in New York's sphincter while driving through New Jersey it's almost a relief when 95 drops you into the hole that is Virginia.

(the quick pass through Delaware is like when you start to unroll the toilet paper)

It's not the most fun drive coming in around 9 hours, but it's driveable for the families to see their sons play. If my memory serves correct, Virginia Beach to Hartford was just about nine hours going up the Eastern Shore of DelMarVa.

Reaction Score
Sticking with the Ansonia theme, for the love of Roger Ings the creation of the staff has been interesting to watch especially the experience factor and where on the compass new hires are coming from. Someday it would be very interesting if Coach Foley wrote a book on the transitions that he and the program have been through while coaching with different staffs at UConn. Other than Yarders I'd bet CoachFlood would buy a copy.
Why, by Andy Scott, I think you are right.

Reaction Score
For the love of All American John Dorsey, which of these coaches is the FL connection? GA?

Reaction Score
For the love of All American John Dorsey, which of these coaches is the FL connection? GA?

If you remember John Dorsey, then for the love of UConn you should remember Eric Torkelson and also remember that Mike Cummings has the Bama, FL and Western PA connections.;)

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

In my very novice look at the recruiting areas, this is what I came up with (through use of Rivals recruiting targets for each coach):

Patterson - NY, general Midwest (Iowa, Illinois, etc.)
Lineburg - VA mostly, southern NJ (almost exclusively Virginia)
Jones - NY, FL, GA (more southern than northern recruiting)
Cummings - IL, AL, FL, MI, PA, OH (very heavy in Illinois and in Alabama)
Diaco - NJ, NY, VA, MA (heavy New Jersey influence but went into Mass. a lot)
Foley - NY, MA, NH, MD, VA, Canada (he's the one that got Petrus, Delahunt, and Joseph)
Reardon - IN, MI, NE, ND, SD (Thanks, Medic!)

At a glance, we are obviously going to be heavy in the Northeast (which we should be and which makes the most sense from a staffing standpoint). Seeing how important NY, NJ, MA, and VA are in this graphic leads me to believe that it was a strategic plan with a lot of thought put into it by Diaco (*or just a great coincidence). Also, there are two guys (Jones, Cummings) that seem to recruit heavily in Florida/Georgia and Alabama respectively. Patterson probably will help out in NY with Diaco / Jones, and maybe even leverage Midwest ties in Illinois along with Cummings. A nice balance of northeast, southeast, and midwest. Lineburg will likely focus on the mid-Atlantic, while Foley cleans house in New England and further north.

If anyone has any additional info to this, feel free to add on to it. I like what I'm seeing, with all of the recruiting coordinator experience and with the right geographical mix covered by the staff. Go get 'em, boys!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my very novice look at the recruiting areas, this is what I came up with (through use of Rivals recruiting targets for each coach):

Patterson - NY, general Midwest (Iowa, Illinois, etc.)
Lineburg - VA mostly, southern NJ (almost exclusively Virginia)
Jones - NY, FL, GA (more southern than northern recruiting)
Cummings - IL, AL, FL, MI, PA, OH (very heavy in Illinois and in Alabama)
Diaco - NJ, NY, VA, MA (heavy New Jersey influence but went into Mass. a lot)
Foley - NY, MA, NH, MD, VA, Canada (he's the one that got Petrus, Delahunt, and Joseph)

At a glance, we are obviously going to be heavy in the Northeast (which we should be and which makes the most sense from a staffing standpoint). Seeing how important NY, NJ, MA, and VA are in this graphic leads me to believe that it was a strategic plan with a lot of thought put into it by Diaco (*or just a great coincidence). Also, there are two guys (Jones, Cummings) that seem to recruit heavily in Florida/Georgia and Alabama respectively. Patterson probably will help out in NY with Diaco / Jones, and maybe even leverage Midwest ties in Illinois along with Cummings. A nice balance of northeast, southeast, and midwest. Lineburg will likely focus on the mid-Atlantic, while Foley cleans house in New England and further north.

If anyone has any additional info to this, feel free to add on to it. I like what I'm seeing, with all of the recruiting coordinator experience and with the right geographical mix covered by the staff. Go get 'em, boys!!! :cool:

Add Reardon's previous recruiting areas of Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota to the mix.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Lol none of our coaches specialize in recruiting Connecticut. Better run that by Coach Marinelli to make sure that's ok.

It's amazing how many CT players are listed in Rivals without any coordinator associated to them. That either means that PP was the one in charge of that, or that they decided to come to UConn without much help (?). Ironically, GDL got us a few CT pickups, including Cochran... :eek:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
In addition to the coaches that I put up in the recruiting area analysis, it is interesting to see that the missing piece to the puzzle might indeed be Van Malone. With heavy recruiting ties to Texas, as well as the surrounding areas (OK, LA), coupled with the fact that our league will have two teams in Texas (SMU, Houston), one in Oklahoma (Tulsa), and one in Louisiana (Tulane), and his addition might look even more tempting...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It's amazing how many CT players are listed in Rivals without any coordinator associated to them. That either means that PP was the one in charge of that, or that they decided to come to UConn without much help (?). Ironically, GDL got us a few CT pickups, including Cochran... :eek:

That old George. I knew he was good for something!

Here he is with PP and Coach Cersosimo scouting for talent in Connecticut:

image.jpg

Reaction Score
Nepotism relates to relatives, not buddies. The term comes from Italian word nepotismo,[1][2] which is based on Latin root nepos meaning nephew.

Hiring buddies happens in every single walk of life. It's not nepotism, its having the right connections.
Your right nepotism by the strict definition is hiring relatives. I consider hiring your buddies a kind of nepotism. Can you really say that Mike Cummings is the best available man for the job? The fact that he is your friend and drinking buddy should mean nothing. In fact it is a negative. In the military, officers don't fraternize with enlisted men because they may slack off if they now their supervisors on a personal level. It is best to have a level a detachment from your subordinates. It keeps them on their toes because they may think you will fire them if they don't produce. Hire the best available man for the job, friend or no friend, that is the American way.

Reaction Score
Your right nepotism by the strict definition is hiring relatives. I consider hiring your buddies a kind of nepotism. Can you really say that Mike Cummings is the best available man for the job? The fact that he is your friend and drinking buddy should mean nothing. In fact it is a negative. In the military, officers don't fraternize with enlisted men because they may slack off if they now their supervisors on a personal level. It is best to have a level a detachment from your subordinates. It keeps them on their toes because they may think you will fire them if they don't produce. Hire the best available man for the job, friend or no friend, that is the American way.

If you think Diaco hired Cummings because he's his buddy and not the best person (in his mind) for the job, then you are calling Diaco stupid. It's too early to tell if he is stupid, but his work history leans to him being smart.

He's not going to hire a "buddy". His entire coaching future rides on him being successful at UConn. I was reading where CMU fans thought Cummings was one of their better coaches. My guess is the head coach was a control freak and wanted to call the shots. I have no doubt Cummings has a great offensive mind and Diaco is going to let him cut loose.

There's some pretty good offense experience on staff as well to help Cummings put together a good plan.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
“@bvpssupt: Big News! My brother @WayneLineburg headed to UConn Huskies to coach special teams. http://ursports.blogs.timesdispatch.com/2014/01/02/lineburg-moves-ur-football-staff-uconn/ Go Huskies! @cwhite_charlie”

?? Special Teams/Recruiting Coordinator ??

Great link, Medic. It's always great to see multiple people talking about a new coach as being a "good man". It seems to be a trend with the guys that Diaco is picking up, which is giving me the warm fuzzies with this new coaching staff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom