Assistant coaching news... | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Assistant coaching news...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Link to Diaco at Virginia... another Recruiting Coordinator, this time from the mid-atlantic.

We was a WR coach at UVA, I imagine he'll have that role here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good profile and very good that he has plenty of ties to recruiting Virginia HS.

Virginia is the southern border of UConn's driveable recruiting range. Plenty of talent throughout the DC suburbs, Hampton Roads and Richmond.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
8 wins is the baseline for Diaco. Everyone points out how bad the last staff was and they managed to sweep the last 3 games. Boise and BYU are both playing at the Rent, and Boise won't have Peterson any more. The AAC sucks, so unless we get all of Houston, UCF and Cincinnati on the road, 8 wins is not unreasonable at all.

If the 2014 had four senior starting OL and three starting DL's (like the 2013 squad had) I would say that 8 wins is not unreasonable at all. Considering that we are potentially going into the season with neophytes in both trenches it may be a bit early to draw a line in the sand and claim that anything shy of this is a failure. I realize that you are attempting to find some way to tell the board that you are a better football mind than Diaco but most here have seen through you for years Waylon.

Reaction Score
Richmond? We got a Richmond guy? I guess we can forgive him for that.

To recap: Welcome to coaches: Jones, Reardon, Patterson, Lineburg and Cummings. Coaches Foley and Diaco need help with the phones.

For the love of Donald Thomas, Marcus Easley and all walk ons.....continue.

Reaction Score
Good profile and very good that he has plenty of ties to recruiting Virginia HS.

Virginia is the southern border of UConn's driveable recruiting range. Plenty of talent throughout the DC suburbs, Hampton Roads and Richmond.

These areas are/were his responsibilities @ UVA/Richmond:

In-State Areas: Peninsula (Williamsburg, Hampton, Newport News) and the Northern Neck.
Out of State Areas: Eastern Pennsylvania (Harrisburg East), Delaware

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Diaco still has 4 guys to hire to complete the staff...3 on Defense, 1 on Offense.

Offense
OC/OL or TE:
Mike Cummings
QB/Asst. HC: Don Patterson
RB: Ernest Jones
OL or TE: Mike Foley
WR: Open

Defense

DC: Open
DL: Open
LB: Open
DB:
Josh Reardon
So, Lineburg gets WR's?

Reaction Score
If the 2014 had four senior starting OL and three starting DL's (like the 2013 squad had) I would say that 8 wins is not unreasonable at all. Considering that we are potentially going into the season with neophytes in both trenches it may be a bit early to draw a line in the sand and claim that anything shy of this is a failure. I realize that you are attempting to find some way to tell the board that you are a better football mind than Diaco but most here have seen through you for years Waylon.

I think it's realistic to set a goal of competing for an AAC conference title in 2014, and secondarily goal of qualifying for a post season appearance. We'll need a few bounces and things to fall our way along the way to finish with an outright title, but this team, if they come out with the attitude and level of play as a team that they finished with, can compete.

That, I think is possible with the players we have returning in the trenches. Pruitt and Campenni have a lot of game reps. Frank, while not blessed with Trevardo Williams speed, starting showing some promise with more game reps. THe senior I'm worried most about replacing on D is Taylor Mack. Leadership on the field counts more than anything. It's no mistake that our D played well when he was on the field, and didn't play well, when he was at home and they were on the road.

Somebody going to have to step it up in the secondary. As for the OL - one of the glass half full views, finding the silver lining in anything views about a guy like George Deleone, is that the offensive linemen returning in this program, after having been through what they did with old George, are probably going to find it very easy to gel as a unit under new coaches that are in touch with the 21st century, and we're returning a multiple year player at center, to go with a QB - hopefully in #12, that knows how to read a defense and make adjustments.

But then again, we're into the first month of the offseason now. Everything looks great.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These areas are/were his responsibilities @ UVA/Richmond:

In-State Areas: Peninsula (Williamsburg, Hampton, Newport News) and the Northern Neck.
Out of State Areas: Eastern Pennsylvania (Harrisburg East), Delaware

Huge areas for UConn recruiting.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Posts like this are the Apologists anthem. The same people telling me what a great hire this is are also telling me that we should expect failure.

Pick one or the other. Either Diaco is a great hire, or he is going to fail.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Need to make a bowl next season. This team wasn't as bad as we think, and the competition isn't as good as we think.

The competition is freaking terrible. This isn't the 2006 Big East, where you could almost give Edsall a pass for a lousy year, or the 2009 Big East, where Edsall underachieved with what was probably his best team at UConn, in a stacked conference.

The 2014 American is a mid major league with 4 good teams: UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, ECU, of which we will probably only play 3. 8 wins is the baseline.

Reaction Score
The competition is freaking terrible. This isn't the 2006 Big East, where you could almost give Edsall a pass for a lousy year, or the 2009 Big East, where Edsall underachieved with what was probably his best team at UConn, in a stacked conference.

The 2014 American is a mid major league with 4 good teams: UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, ECU, of which we will probably only play 3. 8 wins is the baseline.
I'm still waiting for you to post what Shane Day's tweet said when he left.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Posts like this are the Apologists anthem. The same people telling me what a great hire this is are also telling me that we should expect failure.

It's a great hire. I don't buy your inference that he's just hiring buddies. To me, it looks like he has a plan and is putting it into place. Keeping the status quo was not an option.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Not an apologist by any means and if you were remotely as intelligent as you claim (and continually profess on this board) you would realize that there is a bit of room between the line that you have drawn in the sand and failure. I need to see quite a few things before I can claim that more than x number of wins will be a success and less than y number of wins would be a failure.

Additionally, the three wins that you are holding the former offensive in such high esteem over required an incredible second half in Temple (not Auburn or LSU, Temple) along with a bit of good fortune (two first and goals due to penalties within the same series and a pick six to give us the margin of victory) and wins over Rutgers & Memphis at home, teams that went 1-7, 3-5 and 1-7 respectively in this conference that, well to quote you "The competition is freaking terrible.".

At the moment I believe Diaco is a great hire. We will not have any evidence to support or refute this for quite some time yet, because he didn't bring Day and/or Weist back you've decided to take the stance that Diaco doesn't know what he is doing and have been throwing out little comments, attempting to outsmart the board, such as claiming that the three wins (against schools that went 5-19 in this terrible conference) in eight games equates to an eight win season next year if our new coach is to equal what those he replaced accomplished. Diaco may go 8-4 (pre bowl game) next season with me believing that he did a poor job or he may go 4-8 with me believing that he did a very good job. There is far too much that at the moment is neither black nor white. Someone with your vast business expertise should know this.

Back to the great hire or failure and the need to demonstrate this with specific results eight months prior to his first game, we Jim Calhoun a great hire? What did he do year one? I will wager heavily that two weeks after we announced his hire someone (such as you) could have stated "if he can't make it to double digit wins in '86-'87 he is a failure.".

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Classic false choice argument. It is not one or the other. He can be a great hire and have a lousy first year coaching a team with average talent. For an example where folks will focus on the name and not the facts, Bill Belichick was a pretty good hire despite going 5-11 in his first year with the Patsies. One year does not define a coaching hire

Reaction Score
Another coach with HC experience (albeit interm) and associate HC experience. Tells me leadership qualities are present. Very experienced staff being put together.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:

Classic false choice argument. It is not one or the other. He can be a great hire and have a lousy first year coaching a team with average talent. For an example where folks will focus on the name and not the facts, Bill Belichick was a pretty good hire despite going 5-11 in his first year with the Patsies. One year does not define a coaching hire

Well put, Huskygrad. Anyone who expects perfection without a little tragedy simply can't be pleased.

sport-hobby-date-theatre-theatre_mask-mask-wda1728l.jpg

Reaction Score
8 wins is the baseline for Diaco. Everyone points out how bad the last staff was and they managed to sweep the last 3 games. Boise and BYU are both playing at the Rent, and Boise won't have Peterson any more. The AAC sucks, so unless we get all of Houston, UCF and Cincinnati on the road, 8 wins is not unreasonable at all.
Improving by 5 wins in one season is quite the not unreasonable. If can't do it, it's on Diaco and Ollie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom