Ashiru | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ashiru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The one thing I think I understand about Diaco is that almost everything he says is for a reason.

His comments about cleaning out lockers and kicking people off the team was a desperate attempt to get their attention.

I can't shake the idea that come he!! or high water he was chasing an upperclassman from the team over those two weeks.

So here is the problem: It didn't work. It didn't come close to working. It was the opposite
of working.

It blew up horribly in his face and the team completely no-showed at home. (And if you are going to tell me they put in an effort - that is even worse - at least you can fix quitting).

It happens - these aren't his players and he's made it clear he's not responsible for how poorly they play - but it does mean even if Diaco can recruit and coach this mess is a long way from getting fixed.

You must have a crystal ball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You must have a crystal ball.

Well I don't need a crystal ball for what happened in the past...

I think it's going to take a while to fix. I'd be thrilled to be wrong. Are you willing to give us your near term date where it's fixed?

Reaction Score
Well I don't need a crystal ball for what happened in the past...

I think it's going to take a while to fix. I'd be thrilled to be wrong. Are you willing to give us your near term date where it's fixed?

Yes. If you lend me your crystal ball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes. If you lend me your crystal ball.

Well you clearly disagreed with me. But if you aren't willing to make a call that's fine. If you don't want to go on the record it's probably wiser to stand down.

Reaction Score
Well you clearly disagreed with me. But if you aren't willing to make a call that's fine. If you don't want to go on the record it's probably wiser to stand down.

"Stand down". Pompous. You are asking me to speculate. I don't. That's your department.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Stand down". Pompous. You are asking me to speculate. I don't. That's your department.

Yes it's crazy. Sports fans speculate on what may happen in the future.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Three sides to every story - his his and the truth.

We an speculate on where the truth lies but it is not good players leaving team in week 10...

Good luck to JA - would like to know if he is still enrolled at school and graduating this year? If so that opens a ton of transfer opportunities.

Good luck to BD - think you will need it moving forward.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Any of these narratives require the following assumptions:

1. Diaco knows what it takes to win FB games.

2. The roster didn't have as many guys that were willing to do what it takes per #1.

3. Diaco tried to teach these guys, but it didn't work out because they are unwilling or incapable.

4. Diaco plans to build a roster of his guys who will.

I am not inclined to accept any of those assumptions as of this moment. So, I can't say whether who's more right. Instead, I'll just focus on games won for a while and stop seeing everything a positive step forward, because I've been told all of this before by RE, PP, and now BD.

At least when Randy did it, he went out an beat Iowa State with a roster more like Fordham's. And thr times he was embarrassed it was by #1 Miami and not Buffalo or Army.

Reaction Score
I believe that - and it's not hard to imagine that 'finding out who wants to play' has been a theme all season. It's been clear to me since the "exhibition" season that winning games was not a focus area for this season. That's tough on the fans, especially those buying tickets and braving tough weather to show support. Hopefully, two or three years in, we can forgive, if not forget, this season.
Even players like Puyol were given opportunities to show what they can do in game situations though actually meaningless to outcome of the games themselves. The upperclassmen defensive backfield depth, gone in preseason.
Abrams drops balls, gone. Tried cycling some underclassmen OL but they were too much of a liability yet. The TEs are very light, will grow, but cant block for now. You really think players like Frank would be playing much now if Carrezola didn't get hurt? The offense began transitioning during the season with qbs not having the skills to run it. Ashiru was getting subbed for very early in the season. Also explains game management and the following gobbledygook press conferences. Fans and some players of course are going to be pissed. You would think what ever plan he decided to embark on would have been shared with his boss and given its support.

Reaction Score
Even players like Puyol were given opportunities to show what they can do in game situations though actually meaningless to outcome of the games themselves. The upperclassmen defensive backfield depth, gone in preseason.
Abrams drops balls, gone. Tried cycling some underclassmen OL but they were too much of a liability yet. The TEs are very light, will grow, but cant block for now. You really think players like Frank would be playing much now if Carrezola didn't get hurt? The offense began transitioning during the season with qbs not having the skills to run it. Ashiru was getting subbed for very early in the season. Also explains game management and the following gobbledygook press conferences. Fans and some players of course are going to be pissed. You would think what ever plan he decided to embark on would have been shared with his boss and given its support.

I'm still going to sacrifice a goat in a few hours, proverbially, because I don't want to wait until next year to try to start winning, and I think that knocking a potential conference champ off, at their own house, would be validation for the crapfest, and if I could strap it up, and play I would, but I can't, so the goat will have to do. I hope that some players show up tomorrow, maybe more than 22, and the coaches put them in position on the board to succeed.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm still going to sacrifice a goat in a few hours, proverbially, because I don't want to wait until next year to try to start winning, and I think that knocking a potential conference champ off, at their own house, would be validation for the crapfest, and if I could strap it up, and play I would, but I can't, so the goat will have to do. I hope that some players show up tomorrow, maybe more than 22, and the coaches put them in position on the board to succeed.
While you're at it, ask the goat's spirit or whatever to put your fingers in a position to find the period key and succeed in breaking up those-run on sentences.

I keed, I keed.

Reaction Score
Any reason why the Courant game evaluation does not list the coaching grade? It seems the only paid positions should be evaluated as well as the student athletes.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Any reason why the Courant game evaluation does not list the coaching grade? It seems the only paid positions should be evaluated as well as the student athletes.
Last thing one of the local media suckers wants to do is give coaching a D+ and then have to go and ask questions of the staff

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Bet the truth is somewhere in between but...

Brian Koonz: UConn football player deserved better from Diaco

http://www.greenwichtime.com/uconn/article/Brian-Koonz-UConn-football-player-deserved-5920025.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'll bet Ashiru's dad would have gotten a response from former AD Jeff Hathaway, which would have read something like this: "Thank you for your interest in UCONN athletics."

Apparently, Warde Manuel hasn't quite grasped the concept of robotic Auto-Reply yet.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The article doesn't refute what Diaco said about the Ashiru situation at all. Diaco said he didn't want to play anymore which probably means play for UCONN.

No doubt Diaco pushed him hard and that is why he quit, but the coaches are supposed to push the players hard no? Do Jim and Geno push their players hard? Just ask Alex Ohriaki and Roscoe Smith and Geno has had a number of players leave for other less demanding programs. Jake Voskhul called his dad after a grueling 2:0o am practice his freshman year wanting to quit because Calhoun was a crazy man.

No, Jake wanted to quit because he thought Calhoun had legally changed Jake's first name to M'F'er!

Reaction Score
To show your next team/coach you are committed.
Winners dont quit and quitters dont win.

maybe he wants to concentrate on his studies and getting some work experience through internships before he graduates because he knows there is almost no chance of him making it in the NFL. the sooner he quits the better off he is in regards to finishing the semester strong academically.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
maybe he wants to concentrate on his studies and getting some work experience through internships before he graduates because he knows there is almost no chance of him making it in the NFL. the sooner he quits the better off he is in regards to finishing the semester strong academically.
I hope u are correct!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Without using the words, Diaco just called Brian Koonz a hack and William Paxton is making it known in the Twitterverse.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 12:25pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco "No shred of truth" on Jefferson Ashiru's father's take on his son leaving the team

desmondconner 12:25pm via TweetDeck
Diaco: said Junior Joseph won the job at Ashiru LB spot four weeks ago..#UConn

desmondconner 12:26pm via TweetDeck
Diaco on Ashiru: he didn't like his new role

NHRJimFuller 12:26pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco on Ashiru: "His role changed because it had to. He didn't like his new role and didn't want to do it anymore.".

Well if Bob had stated this last week as opposed to the UConn source who said 'he lost interst' Diaco probably wouldnt have felt 'crushed', Koonz would not have had an article to write and none of this would probably be an issue today.

Reaction Score
I understand many want to find fault with Diaco wherever they can.

Don't let Koontz lead you. Edsall had far more kids "walk away". To UConn - Ryan Donahue. To Rutgers - RJ Gill. To BC. Etcetera.

This is what happens. Diaco has far less incidence than many; though, PP had few. Did you like those years?

We knew Ashiru was knocked down a peg. Do we suspect that we need a father interviewed in this circumstance? I take what was written by Koontz ... and think: happens at BIGTIME CFB. Should Diaco address every instance? Are you kidding? Again, Edsall had three times as many guys leave their scholarships. Diaco didn't yank sight unseen - as we've seen of some new coaches.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I understand many want to find fault with Diaco wherever they can.

Don't let Koontz lead you. Edsall had far more kids "walk away". To UConn - Ryan Donahue. To Rutgers - RJ Gill. To BC. Etcetera.

This is what happens. Diaco has far less incidence than many; though, PP had few. Did you like those years?

We knew Ashiru was knocked down a peg. Do we suspect that we need a father interviewed in this circumstance? I take what was written by Koontz ... and think: happens at BIGTIME CFB. Should Diaco address every instance? Are you kidding? Again, Edsall had three times as many guys leave their scholarships. Diaco didn't yank sight unseen - as we've seen of some new coaches.

I dont want to fault him wherever I can - but dont come out and say your are crushed when you let out information like your are the Marines about to go get Osama - Koonz isnt leading me, the Unnamed UConn source is.

Again, he should have just said what he said today last week, koonz would have had nothing to write, everyone would have understood people lose their job and onwards we go; instead we got a cryptic response.

Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Without using the words, Diaco just called Brian Koonz a hack and William Paxton is making it known in the Twitterverse.

Good for Diaco. I called Koonz a hack when the piece first came out. And DiMauro is a hack for promoting that piece. It's hack journalism.

Reminds me of the Joe Zone/Logan Marchi episode over the summer. Reporter gets one side of the story and runs with it as though it's gospel. That's bad enough, but Koonz put in a lot of editorial garbage in there based on one side of the story. I'd make those 2 clowns persona non grata around UConn. Both have an anti UConn agenda and are major tools.

Reaction Score
What is different about the Ashiru case? Garden variety case of an athlete being demoted. Kids then leave. Over & over.

The difference is the Koonz article. He always thinks he's got the Huskies by the tail. Where's the Lyle McComb or the Quinn Thompson or Kivon Taylor article?

I'm not sure Diavo/UConn football released less than any other incidence. Personally, I still want accountability for whomever let Robbie Frey not stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom