Ashiru | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ashiru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Every program loses players every year who simply lose interest in playing. Football is a brutal sport. Further, where you play at an institution where they actually make you go to real classes can be a tough grind for any young kid. From my limited ability to observe Ashiru 's play this year, he didn't seem to have improved very much over last year. I was hoping for a break out year from him. Maybe his lack of desire played a role in his play this year.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
More -

'When the going gets tough, the tough get going' - Literally is seems.

One more-
'With love and care'

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So Ashiru came to Connecticut.

He spent 2.5 years with the worst coaching staff I've ever seen. He's been through 2 head coaching changes and at least 3 coordinators.

This go around he is an upperclassman playing for a staff that while they don't shut up about loving the players - does nothing but publically say they suck and deflect blame.

He had to play defense for a team that when they had a couple of bad plays actually turtled and didn't throw the ball for 2 and a half quarters. Played through games where the offense has given up more points than it's scored.

Towards the end his playing time disappears and the coach publically says he's going to clear out the quitters. The team promply quits on the field at home. At least Ashiru had the decency to be honest about it.

So if you are comfortable insinuating Ashiru is a loser for quitting I'd point the following out:

a. Every post here the past two days has been about fans quitting on the program.
b. the head coach who is completely full of is pretty much unstable at this point -

Ashiru and many of his teammates have been done wrong by this athletic program. They pledged their committment and paid their dues - what the athletic department delivered from a coaching standpoint is an absolute frigging embarrassment.

Oh yeah - Screw whoever gave Desmond anything to print. The coach won't tell us anything honest about what is going on but some jerkoff is going to give Des frigging Conner something unattributed? Seriously - screw off.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
if directed at me I am NOT saying Ashiru is a loser for quitting - I dont even believe he quit. You took the post in the wrnog manner. The quotes were tounge and cheek - coach speak. If not directed at me carry on.
cat2.jpg

Reaction Score
Bob Diaco last week - "We are interested in collecting players that love football. If you don't love football enough, because you love something else, we're not going to get along. You don't want a player that loves math four times more than football. You need to collect players that love football."

Maybe he loves math more than football. Or maybe he realized that Diaco stopped carrying about him getting a college degree because from the above, football has to come first. .Or maybe the crazy Bob coach speech has been just as erratic in the locker room as it is to the press. Or maybe he loves football so much, that he refuses to play in a system and a process that lacks the understanding about what it takes to win starting at the top.

Does Uconn make employees take drug tests on a regular basis?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Bob Diaco last week - "We are interested in collecting players that love football. If you don't love football enough, because you love something else, we're not going to get along. You don't want a player that loves math four times more than football. You need to collect players that love football."

Maybe he loves math more than football. Or maybe he realized that Diaco stopped carrying about him getting a college degree because from the above, football has to come first. .Or maybe the crazy Bob coach speech has been just as erratic in the locker room as it is to the press. Or maybe he loves football so much, that he refuses to play in a system and a process that lacks the understanding about what it takes to win starting at the top.

No constant test - pre employment and then only for cause...

Reaction Score
Whaler, I have no idea if your rant, and it was a good one, was directed at me. My comments on this matter, come from my opinion that the press statement is damaging to the player. Whatever the players / or coach actual reasons for Ashiru leaving? Irrelevant. That should not have happened in the press like that. It's damaging to the kid.

This is an entirely different layer of the onion to address, but one that has been consistent across coaching staffs - the press people at UCONN and the press people covering UCONN regarding football. It's going to take a unique kind of personality and individual to be able to eventually bridge that and fix it, and ironically, I think Diaco is such an individual - what he's lacking is the wins vs. the losses, to back up his words and actions.

I have no fault for any player that might decide to hang up the cleats, at any time, at any level, for any reason, and can walk away knowing they gave it everything they got.

I have no idea why Ashiru and Abrams are no longer on the team. Diaco threatened to clean out lockers himself if upperclassmen players weren't giving full effort, and two upperclassmen players are now gone. That's what I know.

Reaction Score

It's a such weird quote. Although to me, him saying he wants to "collect" players seems the weirdest.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Its a big decision to quit - if that is what he has done.
If he is on track to graduate that is a good thing and makes some sense to move on to another school - if he wasnt going to graduate this year big implications.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My rant was directed at 'winners never quit'. If that was sarcastic I still enjoyed ranting.

I think you guys are too worried about Ashiru next year. I'm guessing what we read was true and he's really just done. Every year it happens with 4th year Juniors - they just usually wait until the last game.

Reaction Score
I think maybe some here are reading way too much into it. He had barely seen the field lately, and he left the team. Some kids don't want to stick it out. It happens.

I wish him well. If that means he is playing for a lower level team next year, who cares.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tayo Ashiru sent an email to UConn athletic director Warde Manuel this week looking for an explanation, but as of Wednesday afternoon, he still had not heard back.

Yep....

Reaction Score
There are two sides to most stories, and I will be fair, but the words of Mr. Ashiru are far, far more damaging than any of the nitpicking or second guessing criticism that we have been treated to since literally opening night on this board.

If this was HDBD's way of opening up a slot to rebuild, it is extremely troubling (and not something that, to me, is justified just by getting more wins).

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Maybe frustration over losing snaps or losing games. No way it's about creating roster space -- that would make zero sense. Does leave a little room for coming back though.

Reaction Score
Why? This happens on every college football team.

No. No, no, no. We an argue about the properness and morality of telling a young man that's he's not good enough and he needs to find another school for the following year. But there can be no argument that if you don't want a player back you owe him a truthful explanation.

How can you say that? Have you never been in charge of an employee or a student? How can anyone say at the very least that the truth, spoken calmly, isn't owed in that situation?

Reaction Score
No. No, no, no. We an argue about the properness and morality of telling a young man that's he's not good enough and he needs to find another school for the following year. But there can be no argument that if you don't want a player back you owe him a truthful explanation.

How can you say that? Have you never been in charge of an employee or a student? How can anyone say at the very least that the truth, spoken calmly, isn't owed in that situation?

We might be talking about two different things. Are you talking about Warde not responding? Because yes, that is completely unacceptable. I am talking about the screaming by Diaco on the football field. And we both might have interpreted that article differently as far as Coach Diaco's yelling on the football field.

And we agree, honesty is a trait needed if you want to be an effective leader. In business and athletics.

Reaction Score
And maybe I missed it, but Ashiru's Dad (who I feel horrible for, you can tell in the article how much he hurts for his son) didn't say that Coach Diaco essentially kicked him off the team, did he?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe frustration over losing snaps or losing games. No way it's about creating roster space -- that would make zero sense. Does leave a little room for coming back though.

What makes sense of anything we've seen?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

I agree with this 100% but I cannot believe that he went from being a solid contributor to someone the staff doesn't want back unless there are issues other than performance. Sounds like they were pushing him hard and his frustration kicked in. "They want me gone" is quoting the player not the staff....

Reaction Score
From the article:

"He said Diaco and the coaches were coming up to him at practice, yelling at him, and asking him, `Do you love football?! Do you love football?!' He said, `They want to get rid of me.' When he went back to his room, he told me he cried in a way he had never cried in his life."

I read that as this happened during the flow of a practice. Not that they were coming up to him while he was on the sideline screaming at him.

Reaction Score
I agree with this 100% but I cannot believe that he went from being a solid contributor to someone the staff doesn't want back unless there are issues other than performance. Sounds like they were pushing him hard and his frustration kicked in. "They want me gone" is quoting the player not the staff....

That is how I read it as well. Often times on the practice field, if someone makes a mistake or is not hyper focused (I am NOT saying that is what happened here), a coach or coaches will go nuts, and I have heard many times comments like "Do you want to play!", "Is your head in the game!", or "Show me you want to be here!!!".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom