As Predicted By Anyone With A Brain, The ACC Is NOT Getting A TV Network | Page 12 | The Boneyard

As Predicted By Anyone With A Brain, The ACC Is NOT Getting A TV Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Director's Cup would be rare to fans with blinders on to Football. But what is even more rare is the justification for the additions that the Big Ten just made. They were obviously not concerned about Football or the Director's Cup. Cable Boxes was their concern, and this is a really new phenomenon due to the business model of their rather recent television arrangements.
Under a bit of heat? I was beginning to think you were unflappable stimp....I guess I was wrong on that ha ha.Hey don't let me interefere with it..I'll sit back and let those more erudite than myself expose you're AAhhh? agenda?? Heck stimp I'm not really even sure....I'm just going on gut instinct and am naturally wary.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable.

There are schools ranked below 50 that are on the world top 30 list!

Ridiculous to put schools like Texas, Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Minnesota, Stony Brook on par with Seton Hall, Hofstra, St John Fisher, Miss. St, Illionois St, UMBC, La Verne.

Quit while you're way behind.

When we start adding British, Chinese, Indian, German, and Japanese Universities to the NCAA, we can start worrying about World Universities. For now, it's America's Best Universities that matter, and it is those that are concerned about college football, college basketball, and olympic sports. I know that Cricket, Curling, and Badminton are popular in those world places. Maybe the NCAA should start to add. But for now, the focus is right here in the US.

Reaction Score
And there aren't any academic marvels in the United States ranked below 50, so worrying about whether someone is ranked 65 or 165 makes little difference really. Whether someone is ranked 2 vs 30 is a big difference. The ACC would like to have all of its schools in the top 50, and yes Louisville has a long way to go to get there. They are spending $300 million on a health science research complex to dominate their region in biomedical research. Their claim to fame seems to be medical. We'll have to see if they make progress.

Well, most on this board are going to disagree with you. Sure UVA has a very strong business and law department, but I for one would never consider UVA to be an academic marvel because my fields of study are in engineering and medical science. Per your own ranking system, UVA is in the bottom tier in those fields. Is this actually true, of course not. Do you really feel that your engineering degree from UVA is equal to that of an engineering degree from WVU and Ville? I would never put any UVA degree (including the lower ranked departments) in the same tier as those schools, so I think we all would appreciate it if you didn't consider our degrees to be worthless as well.

And spare us all the "every school has one good field of study" bullsh!t. Most universities have 3 to 6 main schools, consisting of Liberal Arts, Math, Engineering, Business, Medecine, Law (graduate only). Earlier in this thread you pointed out that some schools are only good at STEM fields and thus they are not academic marvels. Well, STEM fields make up nearly half of the schools within a given university and receive nearly all of the federal research funding allotted. You may consider these entire colleges within a university to be niche departments and irrelevant, but I will have to disagree.

Reaction Score
Under a bit of heat? I was beginning to think you were unflappable stimp....I guess I was wrong on that ha ha.Hey don't let me interefere with it..I'll sit back and let those more erudite than myself expose you're AAhhh? agenda?? Heck stimp I'm not really even sure....I'm just going on gut instinct and am naturally wary.

No. In fact a little chilly. Had to put my leather coat on. There is no agenda. Louisville isn't a great academic institution. And no one the ACC lost or had a choice to replace with were either. So the proverbial question is "What difference does it make?" If you want to call that an agenda, go ahead. I don't. I guess we could have taken Rice, but they have other downsides.

Reaction Score
No. In fact a little chilly. Had to put my leather coat on. There is no agenda. Louisville isn't a great academic institution. And no one the ACC lost or had a choice to replace with were either. So the proverbial question is "What difference does it make?" If you want to call that an agenda, go ahead. I don't. I guess we could have taken Rice, but they have other downsides.

Repeat after me - "My name is btstimpy and I'm apologist for the ACC!"

Reaction Score
Unbelievable.

There are schools ranked below 50 that are on the world top 30 list!

Ridiculous to put schools like Texas, Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Minnesota, Stony Brook on par with Seton Hall, Hofstra, St John Fisher, Miss. St, Illionois St, UMBC, La Verne.

Quit while you're way behind.

I lost all faith in the USNews rankings when they ranked UVA along side CMU.

Reaction Score
The Director's Cup would be rare to fans with blinders on to Football. But what is even more rare is the justification for the additions that the Big Ten just made. They were obviously not concerned about Football or the Director's Cup. Cable Boxes was their concern, and this is a really new phenomenon due to the business model of their rather recent television arrangements.
I assume this comment was intended to be a low blow(not subliminal either) so whats you're point? More of the usual? I'm not here to denigrate you or you're school so wheres this heading? Like upstater said quit gracefully while your (ahead?) or at least don't push it here stimp....were not trying to downgrade or change you're ideas but lets be agreeable at least. You have a modicum of respect here even by me most of the time.

Reaction Score
No stimpy....maybe due to diffences of opinion we never got off on the right foot but it is what it is and we seem to have gotten past that for the most part. You seem a decent sort if somewhat disagreeable but aren't we all? We all have our opinions and your's is as good as mine stimp so seriously repectful, keep fighting the good fight. You're alright with me stimp opinions and all!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, most on this board are going to disagree with you. Sure UVA has a very strong business and law department, but I for one would never consider UVA to be an academic marvel because my fields of study are in engineering and medical science. Per your own ranking system, UVA is in the bottom tier in those fields. Is this actually true, of course not. Do you really feel that your engineering degree from UVA is equal to that of an engineering degree from WVU and Ville? I would never put any UVA degree (including the lower ranked departments) in the same tier as those schools, so I think we all would appreciate it if you didn't consider our degrees to be worthless as well.

And spare us all the "every school has one good field of study" bullsh!t. Most universities have 3 to 6 main schools, consisting of Liberal Arts, Math, Engineering, Business, Medecine, Law (graduate only). Earlier in this thread you pointed out that some schools are only good at STEM fields and thus they are not academic marvels. Well, STEM fields make up nearly half of the schools within a given university and receive nearly all of the federal research funding allotted. You may consider these entire colleges within a university to be niche departments and irrelevant, but I will have to disagree.

We've discussed this before. Every major is ranked somewhere. VCU here in Richmond is ranked in the top 5 in Music. And when I was at UVA, the English department got ranked number 3 nationally. All of the engineering majors are ranked as well. All of the graduate programs are ranked including the medical school. Each type of physician major is ranked. I did not take the time to get this granular, and I'm sure Louisville is good a something. I'm staying with USN&WR national university rankings as an aggregate guide. It considers all of this.

Since you are technical background, I'll change my analogy. I'm sure there are many on this board that will disgree because they want to claim that the ACC passed on MIT to pick up VCU's engineering school by inviting Louisville. Well the ACC did no such thing. The difference academically between the schools the ACC evaluated after the Maryland departure was not anywhere that pronounced and it wasn't that pronounced from Maryland.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When we start adding British, Chinese, Indian, German, and Japanese Universities to the NCAA, we can start worrying about World Universities. For now, it's America's Best Universities that matter, and it is those that are concerned about college football, college basketball, and olympic sports. I know that Cricket, Curling, and Badminton are popular in those world places. Maybe the NCAA should start to add. But for now, the focus is right here in the US.

We're talking about academics right now. Your posts on this subject were about academics. And how after 50 of the USWNS it doesn't matter. You wrote that, not me.

Reaction Score
The difference academically between the schools the ACC evaluated after the Maryland departure was not anywhere that pronounced and it wasn't that pronounced from Maryland.

You couldn't be more wrong about this.

Try looking at rankings by people that put millions of dollars in their evaluations, such as the Carnegie Endowment or the National Resource Council, instead of a rag that relies on useless (and gamed) questionnaires.

Reaction Score
We're talking about academics right now. Your posts on this subject were about academics. And how after 50 of the USWNS it doesn't matter. You wrote that, not me.

I did, and I can't find any universities based outside of the United States in it. It compares US based Universities to each other.

Reaction Score
Repeat after me - "My name is btstimpy and I'm apologist for the ACC!"

Not for inviting Louisville I'm not. In fact I'm concerned. They have put Louisville square against us as a designated rival, and I'm hoping our football team and basketball teams can up their games to compete. I have my concerns with being able to do so. Right now the men's basketball team might be the only one that can.

Reaction Score
I did, and I can't find any universities based outside of the United States in it. It compares US based Universities to each other.

The point is that more astute academic rankings do a much better job of differentiating between schools.

It's like you'd rather look at Bleacher Report for top 25 rankings than the AP. I'm sure I can find a Bleacher Report clown who has Virginia at #22 because it lost to Maryland.

Reaction Score
We've discussed this before. Every major is ranked somewhere. VCU here in Richmond is ranked in the top 5 in Music. And when I was at UVA, the English department got ranked number 3 nationally. All of the engineering majors are ranked as well. All of the graduate programs are ranked including the medical school. Each type of physician major is ranked. I did not take to time to get this granular, and I'm sure Louisville is good a something. I'm staying with USN&WR national university rankings as an aggregate guide. It considers all of this.

Since you are technical background, I'll change my analogy. I'm sure there are many on this board that will disgree because they want to claim that the ACC passed on MIT to pick up VCU's engineering school by inviting Louisville. Well the ACC did no such thing. The difference academically between the schools the ACC evaluated after the Maryland departure was not anywhere that pronounced and it wasn't that pronounced from Maryland.

I am not argueing for or against Louisville's inclusion in the ACC. The ACC is an athletic conference first, and an academic organization in a very distant second. When Maryland left, the ACC made an athletics decision (football first) to add Louisville. Sure the ACC happens to have many strong academic universities, but academics are not driving the bus for realignment.

My only issue with your statements was your demeaning tone towards other universities that are not as highly ranked as UVA. Maybe I am bias to science, technology, engineering, math, and medical fields of study but I would not consider UVA to be ranked in the top 25 universities in the US and Forbes rankings agrees with me. Earlier you stated the cut off for adademic elite should really be 25, and everyone else should be lumped together. Using this standard, UVA is grouped into the same academic tier as WVU and Ville. Would you agree with this assessment? I personally would not, and that is why I take exception to the tier system you defined. I personally see a huge difference between schools ranked 25 and those ranked 50 and those ranked 150. On a "university as a whole", I see a difference between a university like UVA and universities like Pitt, but I also see a difference between universities like Pitt and universities like WVU and Ville.

Reaction Score
Not for inviting Louisville I'm not. In fact I'm concerned. They have put Louisville square against us as a designated rival, and I'm hoping our football team and basketball teams can up their games to compete. I have my concerns with being able to do so. Right now the men's basketball team might be the only one that can.
Kudos for taking the time and thought under rapid fire to respond to the best of you're ability stimp.

Reaction Score
I assume this comment was intended to be a low blow(not subliminal either) so whats you're point? More of the usual? I'm not here to denigrate you or you're school so wheres this heading? Like upstater said quit gracefully while your (ahead?) or at least don't push it here stimp....were not trying to downgrade or change you're ideas but lets be agreeable at least. You have a modicum of respect here even by me most of the time.

Not meant to be a low blow. I'm just re-quoting Gene Smith. Football and Basketball were not reasons to invite the two schools that the Big Ten invited, and Gene Smith knows it. He's the Athletics Director at one of the principle schools of the Big Ten. The cable boxes is my point, and it is what excites Jim Delaney. Gene Smith brought up the Save Penn State point again.

Q: When you look at Rutgers and Maryland, they haven’t set the world afire and Rutgers has had its issues with coaches and its AD. Do you still feel those are good additions?

A: I do. We could have gone a number of ways. I think it was great for the league and really good for Penn State. People haven’t focused on that enough. Penn State was sitting out there like an appendage. Anybody could have plucked them. The ACC could have plucked them.

The other one was the lock up a little bit of the East Coast with television. We’re doing that. We’re going to Navy next year. We’re playing in the Ravens stadium.

Yes, we’re still happy with (having added them). Do we need to help Maryland and Rutgers get better? No doubt. In football, obviously. Their Olympic sports are phenomenal. We have to help them with football and
basketball.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/02/02/smith-sees-progress-wants-more.html

Reaction Score

Stimp, you seem determined to die on the Louisville "beach" - it's not worth it! You're worried about Louisville FB and BB? Challenge them to a round of "As schools match wits" and I think the Cavaliers will prevail. BTW, I am cringing when I see that Cavalier avatar. Please give it up!

Reaction Score
Not meant to be a low blow. I'm just re-quoting Gene Smith. Football and Basketball were not reasons to invite the two schools that the Big Ten invited, and Gene Smith knows it. He's the Athletics Director at one of the principle schools of the Big Ten. The cable boxes is my point, and it is what excites Jim Delaney. Gene Smith brought up the Save Penn State point again.

Q: When you look at Rutgers and Maryland, they haven’t set the world afire and Rutgers has had its issues with coaches and its AD. Do you still feel those are good additions?

A: I do. We could have gone a number of ways. I think it was great for the league and really good for Penn State. People haven’t focused on that enough. Penn State was sitting out there like an appendage. Anybody could have plucked them. The ACC could have plucked them.

The other one was the lock up a little bit of the East Coast with television. We’re doing that. We’re going to Navy next year. We’re playing in the Ravens stadium.

Yes, we’re still happy with (having added them). Do we need to help Maryland and Rutgers get better? No doubt. In football, obviously. Their Olympic sports are phenomenal. We have to help them with football and
basketball.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/02/02/smith-sees-progress-wants-more.html
Nice Stimp picking up your choice of Gee's quotes that suit your agenda/infatuation with Md/RU and plaster it here as if it were gospel !?! Now that you've accomplished that ....what else is new? Why are you so arrogantly negative? No toys when you were a kid? You're the girl who brought apples to teacher in grammer school and secretly were jealous of the athletic kids.....I get it now that you feed off negativity not a yearning to learn. After all who here knows more than you? What else can you teach us? You're not a Cavalier.. you're Lil Lord Fauntleroy. I give you support and all's I get from you is more of the same..don't always be a little man stimp.

Reaction Score
The point is that more astute academic rankings do a much better job of differentiating between schools.

It's like you'd rather look at Bleacher Report for top 25 rankings than the AP. I'm sure I can find a Bleacher Report clown who has Virginia at #22 because it lost to Maryland.
I think maybe the Md loss pushed stimpy over the edge? Ha ha.

Reaction Score
Nice Stimp picking up your choice of Gee's quotes that suit your agenda/infatuation with Md/RU and plaster it here as if it were gospel !?! Now that you've accomplished that ....what else is new? Why are you so arrogantly negative? No toys when you were a kid? You're the girl who brought apples to teacher in grammer school and secretly were jealous of the athletic kids.....I get it now that you feed off negativity not a yearning to learn. After all who here knows more than you? What else can you teach us? You're not a Cavalier.. you're Lil Lord Fauntleroy. I give you support and all's I get from you is more of the same..don't always be a little man stimp.
Do you really think that the B1G adding RU and MD was for the immediate impact they will have on competition in the B1G? At least the ACC upped the competition level with Lville in the 2 sports that matter. RU and MD will help the B1G monetize their network in two very large markets. Neither is a threat to win the conference championship in either sport in the next 2 to 5 years. Not a dig but just a reality since neither sniffed conference championships (let alone National championships) recently. The B1G business model is dependent upon the monetization of their network. Their ABC/ESPN deal is not changing significantly with these adds since B1G games on the mouse networks already win the NYC ratings war. By adding 2 local teams in major markets, they have more leverage on fees they will charge providers and consumers that will only be able to watch their team on the B1G network. And that is where RU and MD games are destined to be.

Look at the numbers in the link. 5 of the top 25 teams in terms of ratings are existing members of the B1G. Does having RU and MD really increase the visibility of those 5 (although the NW number may be an anomaly)? Does it help the visibility of teams like Purdue, IND and Ill significantly enough in NYC and DC to increase their appeal to advertisers? In my opinion they do not. Therefore, the only incremental value comes from exactly what stimpy posted. Cable boxes/subscriber fees.
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ge-football-tv-ratings-2014-texas-am-missouri

Reaction Score
Do you really think that the B1G adding RU and MD was for the immediate impact they will have on competition in the B1G? At least the ACC upped the competition level with Lville in the 2 sports that matter. RU and MD will help the B1G monetize their network in two very large markets. Neither is a threat to win the conference championship in either sport in the next 2 to 5 years. Not a dig but just a reality since neither sniffed conference championships (let alone National championships) recently. The B1G business model is dependent upon the monetization of their network. Their ABC/ESPN deal is not changing significantly with these adds since B1G games on the mouse networks already win the NYC ratings war. By adding 2 local teams in major markets, they have more leverage on fees they will charge providers and consumers that will only be able to watch their team on the B1G network. And that is where RU and MD games are destined to be.

Look at the numbers in the link. 5 of the top 25 teams in terms of ratings are existing members of the B1G. Does having RU and MD really increase the visibility of those 5 (although the NW number may be an anomaly)? Does it help the visibility of teams like Purdue, IND and Ill significantly enough in NYC and DC to increase their appeal to advertisers? In my opinion they do not. Therefore, the only incremental value comes from exactly what stimpy posted. Cable boxes/subscriber fees.
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ge-football-tv-ratings-2014-texas-am-missouri
I dont disagree with most of what you say its like I said to stimp...."what's new?"..Of course especially in MBB and FB its a lower tier right now but stimp has been arrogantly repetitive to the point of boredom and his act is growing tired with some. I know why RU is in the B1G...its been in the works for longer than many know.Relationships and TVs....so I said to Stimpy...tell me something I don't know.

Reaction Score

RU and PSU have had a relationship for a long time beyond sports and together along with Cuse to a lesser degree wanted an all sports eastern conference since the 80s and RU turned down offers twice with PSU as a sort of big brother school back then to join the BE. Cuse broke away from the PSU/RU folks and went all in on the BE then when the going got tough I guess they (SU) got going to the ACC and now dont want UConn in!! It still bothers me today !! #In regards to stimpy I've been offering him olive branches and support out of sympathy for a fellow human being even though hes an arrogant cuss only to have him throw it on the ground for the last time. I think of him as a sorta ACC Trojan horse PR expert for the ACC here to mend fences. How about just an invite for UConn?That might help?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
RU and PSU have had a relationship for a long time beyond sports and together along with Cuse to a lesser degree wanted an all sports eastern conference since the 80s and RU turned down offers twice with PSU as a sort of big brother school back then to join the BE. Cuse broke away from the PSU/RU folks and went all in on the BE then when the going got tough I guess they (SU) got going to the ACC and now dont want UConn in!! It still bothers me today !! #In regards to stimpy I've been offering him olive branches and support out of sympathy for a fellow human being even though hes an arrogant cuss only to have him throw it on the ground for the last time. I think of him as a sorta ACC Trojan horse PR expert for the ACC here to mend fences. How about just an invite for UConn?That might help?
I don't think he has the power to extend an invite. But he was not wrong about why RU and MD were added to the B1G. Something that you kind of want to gloss over. PSU not joining the BE goes back to JoePa and some of his requirements. I don't have the time to post that history lesson for you. And your statement about RU being dependent on a big brother says it all about the value of RU's membership in a conference.

Whether people on this board want to agree or not, Lville was added to the ACC because they made both the FB and BB factions satisfied and made the TV people happy. Now the prior expansion with Cuse and Pitt, Uconn was a viable alternative to both the schools (more an alternative geographically to Cuse than Pitt) based on the BB requirements to get that expansion plan approved. Bit the 9 votes were not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom