As Predicted By Anyone With A Brain, The ACC Is NOT Getting A TV Network | The Boneyard

As Predicted By Anyone With A Brain, The ACC Is NOT Getting A TV Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/2/27/5453344/espn-conference-channels-watchespn

ESPN launched 15 conference-specific channels for its online outlet, WatchESPN, the media company announced on Thursday.

The channels can be streamed to television via Apple TV or Roku, and they will feature live men's and women's college basketball games and replays of college football games. With conference basketball tournaments on the horizon, ESPN is offering a platform for most Division I conferences around the country. Those included are the ACC, America East, Atlantic Sun, Big South, Big West, MEAC, SWAC, CIA, Horizon, MAC, MAAC, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Southern, Sun Belt and Southland. ESPN plans on broadcasting more than 2,000 live men's and women's games during conference tournaments.

The deal doesn't include the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 or SEC because those conferences either already have or are planning to launch their own networks.

Reaction Score
From a Syracuse point of view:

You remember why all of this conference realignment stuff happened, right? Television markets, larger shares of revenue, and for the ACC and the other major conferences, dedicated networks to call their own. With the Grant of Rights agreement and the nine-game schedule talk, etc., it did only seem like a matter of time until the ACC received its own branded cable property that would net all the conference's schools (Syracuse included) a boatload of cash.
Well, that sort of happened today... just without the boatload of cash. Sure, the "ACC channel" is still affiliated with ESPN, but not in the way we'd hoped. Y'know all those frustrating nights of trying to get a clear picture on WatchESPN? It's basically that. And even worse, we're not the only conference getting that treatment...

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/2...s-14-other-online-college-conference-channels

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Looks like the AAC was the only Conf left out.

Reaction Score
te="UConn Dan, post: 862456, member: 2362"]Looks like the AAC was the only Conf left out.[/quote]

Yup didn't see the American. I guess we're stuck with CBS sports channel in extra low definition.

Reaction Score
I am hoping Aresco has some other deal in place if American is left out.

This ACC thing is pretty much what we discussed many times. ESPN owns the ACC. There is zero incentive for them to do an ACC network. Other power conferences will get more revenue from their own conference channels. This will have an impact on the conference alignment. Florida State must be real happy with this new deal :) I have no idea what loads of crap Swofford told them to get them to sign the GOR. I am sure FSU fans are real happy today.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I think this is really just a way to filter content on WatchESPN / espn3.com. I'm sure the American will be there too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not that I think the ACC is getting a cable network, but not sure this is that big a deal. I just checked it out and the channels are pretty much just a way of organizing what was already available. Does sound like they might be ramping up the number of games - but there was already a ton of ACC games on.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If our conference tournament is on CBS Sports Network I'm going to be pissed.

Give me ESPNU or give me death!

Reaction Score
This might or might not be a big deal, but it still looks bad for the ACC to be lumped in with all those midmajor conferences. Why aren't the Big Ten, Big 12, PAC 12, or SEC included in this announcement? They all have games on WatchESPN.

Maybe there really is something to the Maryland lawsuits other than just fighting over exit money. Maybe that Florida State to Big 12 rumor from WHUS has some teeth to it. If Florida State ever hopes to go to the SEC or Big 12, they are in the best position they will ever be in to do it. They may still have a window to leave before the ACC is locked up tight when the Maryland lawsuits are settled, and they are just coming off a championship so maybe the SEC will finally invite them over Florida's objections.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The SEC isn't inviting FSU and it's not Florida that's keeping them out.

Reaction Score
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/2/27/5453344/espn-conference-channels-watchespn

ESPN launched 15 conference-specific channels for its online outlet, WatchESPN, the media company announced on Thursday.

The channels can be streamed to television via Apple TV or Roku, and they will feature live men's and women's college basketball games and replays of college football games. With conference basketball tournaments on the horizon, ESPN is offering a platform for most Division I conferences around the country. Those included are the ACC, America East, Atlantic Sun, Big South, Big West, MEAC, SWAC, CIA, Horizon, MAC, MAAC, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Southern, Sun Belt and Southland. ESPN plans on broadcasting more than 2,000 live men's and women's games during conference tournaments.

The deal doesn't include the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 or SEC because those conferences either already have or are planning to launch their own networks.

What does this have to do with the ACC Channel? This is just organizing ESPN3 Content by Conference search. It's for football and basketball games already shown on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN3 to be placed together and accessed by the conference sort. Today they are only sorted by sport and you have to hunt through it to find what you're looking for.

Do you have any information relating this back to an ACC channel showing baseball games?

zls44

Reaction Score
Maybe that Florida State to Big 12 rumor from WHUS has some teeth to it.

ny9vkl.jpg

zls44

Reaction Score
I expect the American will show up there eventually. Right now it's stuck between contracts- transitioning to the new FB deal and on the one-year bridge BB deal.

Reaction Score
The American could have been left off the list because such a high percentage of their conference games are "guaranteed" to be run on nationally televised (broadcast) platforms..

Reaction Score
Looks like the AAC was the only Conf left out.

No. The Atlantic 10, the Colonial Athletic Association, the Mountain West, SEC, B1G, and others aren't there either. They are launching this so that it is easy to find all the games during the Conference baskctball tournaments next month. ESPN is planning to stream every ACC men's basketball and women's basketball tournament game. This sorts them for easy streaming access.

Why this particular list of conferences? Who knows? I imagine that the AAC and the others will be added later.

Reaction Score
The American could have been left off the list because such a high percentage of their conference games are "guaranteed" to be run on nationally televised (broadcast) platforms..
This is the streaming simulcast outlet for them too. The American will be there eventually.

Reaction Score
This is the streaming simulcast outlet for them too. The American will be there eventually.

Maybe for reruns, but the article states that they will be starting live broadcasts in the fall, which is when the AAC's football deal kicks in. If football resembles the current basketball season, you'll see UConn and other AAC teams nationally televised each week. Consider that every UConn basketball game has been nationally televised this year, at least from where I'm sitting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Who is keeping them out? Vanderbilt?

The SEC doesn't expand within its footprint.

Kinda common knowledge.

Reaction Score
The SEC doesn't expand within its footprint.

Kinda common knowledge.

All conferences do that. But it's done for the school that would be the rival of the potential invitee. The only reason Florida State is not in the SEC right now is because Florida doesn't want them.

You don't pass up a Florida State because you've got that territory covered. If Texas called tonight and wanted to join the SEC, they'd be in tomorrow morning.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're obviously oblivious to the fact that Florida State asked and was turned down by the SEC within the past year.

For the simple-minded - you don't invite Florida State when you have a vastly more popular conference member two hours away. It's not Florida, it's that they don't add a dollar to the till for the SEC Network. This is why Florida State is still in the ACC and why they were willing to sign their rights away - the SEC said...no.

They're not Texas, apparently.

Reaction Score
You're obviously oblivious to the fact that Florida State asked and was turned down by the SEC within the past year.

For the simple-minded - you don't invite Florida State when you have a vastly more popular conference member two hours away. It's not Florida, it's that they don't add a dollar to the till for the SEC Network. This is why Florida State is still in the ACC and why they were willing to sign their rights away - the SEC said...no.

They're not Texas, apparently.

A whole lot has changed since last year, so I'm saying maybe Florida State might want to take one last shot before they lose any chance of leaving.

Florida is the reason Florida State is not in the SEC, definitely not because the SEC doesn't think they can't support two teams from Florida. Florida State is the #1 non-DMA school in the ACC, and they are from a big market. Without Florida's objections, Florida State would be a shoe-in to the SEC. Everyone but Florida wanted Florida State in 1990, and that was before Florida State was a national power and the emergence of these huge media deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom