As he tries to re-energize Brooklyn, Kevin Ollie’s willing to repair his side of bridge to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As he tries to re-energize Brooklyn, Kevin Ollie’s willing to repair his side of bridge to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My opinion is there is just too much that can't be taken back. When you go full scorched earth (which both sides did), you kind of can't go back. There is no earth left to try and reclaim. Things seem to be working out for both sides, just let it go instead of dredging everything back up again.....too many strong emotions will be rekindled and it's just not necessary.

Reaction Score
What of this has to do with "telling our story?" What an odd angle to take.

It's whether Ollie should be welcomed on campus or not. The answer is no.
Good thing you have no say.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Surprised nobody chose to bring it up when @HooperScooper posted Hurley's Villanova postgame press conference. Start about the 8;30 mark.

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley said the right things. What else is he supposed to say? Lots of UConn greats, like Ray, still love KO.

But I will never look at KO the same way. What he did to the program as a coach was bad enough - he left us in dire condition. But what he did after that was even worse. From the stories I’ve heard, I simply don’t think he’s a good person. Some of you may disagree and that’s fine.

I wish him success in Brooklyn, but otherwise want nothing to do with him.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I don't care what an arbitrator decided. It's irrelevant to welcoming him back. Give back the money and I'll welcome him back. Otherwise I'd prefer he be barred from events.
Big feelings

I’m sure you have a long track record of giving up millions that you are legally owed on principle

Reaction Score
He can still have a relationship with the alums and not the administration, and hopefully repairs his relationship with JC. Could still talk to the team and send messages to the team via skype or FaceTime this way he isn’t on campus.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
In this article: UConn PG Shabazz Napier considered transferring following Jim Calhoun’s retirement

Bazz said this to Kevin Duffy:

“When (Calhoun retired), I felt betrayed,” Napier said Thursday. “The way (the coaching staff) went about it, I felt it was wrong. It just seemed like a planned process. And that’s the reason I felt like it was kind of selfish in a way. That’s the reason I planned on transferring.”

Calhoun had arrived at the decision to retire roughly a week before he signed the papers. Napier, who learned the news online, spent the next week weighing the option of a transfer. He was upset that Calhoun, a “father figure,” allowed his retirement to go public without first informing his players. He was distraught, unsure of what would come next.

In this USA article: Why Napier Didn't Transfer!

In the days following Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun's abrupt retirement in September 2012, less than two months before the start of the Huskies' season, Kevin Ollie embarked on the biggest recruiting pitch of his nascent coaching career.

The task: Convince guard Shabazz Napier — a key cog in the Huskies' title-winning team in 2011, a returning starter and one of the Big East's best — to remain part of the program rather than transfer, a decision the then-junior was weighing in the wake of Calhoun's departure.

In stressing all that UConn had to offer — and how the program would continue to stress the intangibles behind its run as a blue-blooded national power — Ollie was able to reel Napier back into the fold, creating the foundation for the Huskies' run to the tournament's second weekend.

"That was my No. 1 recruit. I had to go after him hard," Ollie said. "I wanted to make sure he understood that it's going to be a program that's going to stay the same. We're going to believe in toughness, we're going to believe in grit, we're going to believe in defense. I have a different style than Coach Calhoun, but it's the same fabric, it's just a different way.

"I just wanted him to understand that. I wanted him to respect me, and in turn I was going to respect him as a student-athlete.

Most importantly:

To Napier, the decision to remain firm in his commitment to UConn was one of loyalty to both the program and the two coaches of his college career — Calhoun, the "proud father" tracking Napier's career progression, and Ollie, the former UConn assistant and 12-year NBA veteran.

"I grew up with a loyal family and I continue to still have that loyal family with the University of Connecticut," Napier said. "I think that's the biggest thing, when you come to Connecticut you learn two things: You learn the brotherhood, and you learn how to stay loyal. And that's what I've learned, and I continue to push myself to understand that.

"I felt like they stayed loyal to me, and I wanted to stay loyal back. When you have that trust in someone and trust in the university to always have your back, if you run out on them, I don't think that's fair."

ctchamps

Reaction Score
In this article: UConn PG Shabazz Napier considered transferring following Jim Calhoun’s retirement

Bazz said this to Kevin Duffy:

“When (Calhoun retired), I felt betrayed,” Napier said Thursday. “The way (the coaching staff) went about it, I felt it was wrong. It just seemed like a planned process. And that’s the reason I felt like it was kind of selfish in a way. That’s the reason I planned on transferring.”

Calhoun had arrived at the decision to retire roughly a week before he signed the papers. Napier, who learned the news online, spent the next week weighing the option of a transfer. He was upset that Calhoun, a “father figure,” allowed his retirement to go public without first informing his players. He was distraught, unsure of what would come next.

In this USA article: Why Napier Didn't Transfer!

In the days following Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun's abrupt retirement in September 2012, less than two months before the start of the Huskies' season, Kevin Ollie embarked on the biggest recruiting pitch of his nascent coaching career.

The task: Convince guard Shabazz Napier — a key cog in the Huskies' title-winning team in 2011, a returning starter and one of the Big East's best — to remain part of the program rather than transfer, a decision the then-junior was weighing in the wake of Calhoun's departure.

In stressing all that UConn had to offer — and how the program would continue to stress the intangibles behind its run as a blue-blooded national power — Ollie was able to reel Napier back into the fold, creating the foundation for the Huskies' run to the tournament's second weekend.

"That was my No. 1 recruit. I had to go after him hard," Ollie said. "I wanted to make sure he understood that it's going to be a program that's going to stay the same. We're going to believe in toughness, we're going to believe in grit, we're going to believe in defense. I have a different style than Coach Calhoun, but it's the same fabric, it's just a different way.

"I just wanted him to understand that. I wanted him to respect me, and in turn I was going to respect him as a student-athlete.

Most importantly:

To Napier, the decision to remain firm in his commitment to UConn was one of loyalty to both the program and the two coaches of his college career — Calhoun, the "proud father" tracking Napier's career progression, and Ollie, the former UConn assistant and 12-year NBA veteran.

"I grew up with a loyal family and I continue to still have that loyal family with the University of Connecticut," Napier said. "I think that's the biggest thing, when you come to Connecticut you learn two things: You learn the brotherhood, and you learn how to stay loyal. And that's what I've learned, and I continue to push myself to understand that.

"I felt like they stayed loyal to me, and I wanted to stay loyal back. When you have that trust in someone and trust in the university to always have your back, if you run out on them, I don't think that's fair."
I'm glad Buzz's feelings of betrayal resolved differently than the way several fans have decided should be the reaction with KO's betrayal.

Reaction Score
There's 11.1 million reasons the OP's post should get a thumbs down. He cost CT residents a lot of money indirectly and even directly. There should be no burying of the hatchet in the BY. Anyway, Calhoun will never forgive him regardless...
UConn cost CT residents a lot of money by trying to do things on the cheap with their shenanigans.

Reaction Score
We can't ignore that he coached a team through the 4th championship. Trying to tell our story while skipping over Ollie is not realistic.
He was a pretty ok player too

Reaction Score
if hurley thinks it's good for the program to welcome ollie back into the fold then im not gonna argue. he's a former player, chip winning coach, and current NBA interim HC. he could be an asset again.

Reaction Score
Big feelings

I’m sure you have a long track record of giving up millions that you are legally owed on principle
Obviously he wouldn't do it. I'm not under some delusion that he's going to make any sort of financial contribution.

Why this board actively roots against the University at times is beyond me. No other fanbase would even entertain this conversation if he was their coach and cratered the program the way he did.

Reaction Score
Hurley wanted to go back to URI? I didn't know that, are there more details?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If someone did a poll I bet it would be close to 50/50 go away forever or bring him back into the family.

Reaction Score
Obviously he wouldn't do it. I'm not under some delusion that he's going to make any sort of financial contribution.

Why this board actively roots against the University at times is beyond me. No other fanbase would even entertain this conversation if he was their coach and cratered the program the way he did.

This stuff you write you actually believe?! Hahahhaha

Reaction Score
Still don’t get why there isn’t a documentary done about the program. Have the early BE pre Calhoun, hiring of Calhoun, the JC run pre championship and titles, then the KO era the downfall then the Hurley era.

Reaction Score
The guy hasn't even acknowledged any wrongdoing on his part and some of you idiots want to welcome him back with a parade. Give me a break.

He has twice as many nattys than Hurley

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Come home KO

Maybe he'll make a donation too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors