Article on the new Huskies - Azura and Batouly | The Boneyard

Article on the new Huskies - Azura and Batouly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"It's been an adjustment being in a different program but I love it here and I'm glad to be here," Stevens said. "It's been great to get to know my new teammates and new coaches and getting used to Connecticut.

"I knew what I was looking for. I was looking for a place to improve my own game to help me get to that next level. I want to make the most of my last two years."

Guess this could be read different ways but I tend to think it means she wants to finish her eligibility as a player.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
"It's been an adjustment being in a different program but I love it here and I'm glad to be here," Stevens said. "It's been great to get to know my new teammates and new coaches and getting used to Connecticut.

"I knew what I was looking for. I was looking for a place to improve my own game to help me get to that next level. I want to make the most of my last two years."

Guess this could be read different ways but I tend to think it means she wants to finish her eligibility as a player.
What else is she going to say at this point? Anything else would be a bombshell that no one needs. Morgan said similar things at this early stage about her intentions.

I don't think this sheds any light on that -- one way or the other.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What else is she going to say at this point? Anything else would be a bombshell that no one needs. Morgan said similar things at this early stage about her intentions.

Well, she didn't have to say anything about two years---doesn't seem like anyone asked. Either way, her situation is very different from Tuck's.

Reaction Score
Having seen Azura and Batouly in several games while at Duke & KY respectively, both UCONN WBB & these 2 athletes will benefit greatly by this union! Their physical & mental makeups are perfect for Huskies BB!
It will really help our returning team to have to work with and against these 2 big girls, even though they will not be eligible for a season worth of practices especially after losing our Big 3!
Our opponents that hooked up on the schedule thinking we'll catch UCONN and Geno when they're DOWN this season, had better "buckle up" because it's gonna be a lot rougher ride than anticipated!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nice that we can put to bed the notion that UCONN is 'above' transfers. Stevens, Camara, and Butler all seem like great kids. Hopefully they all have success.
The narrative wasn't already good enough.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've said it before, but with all of the great players that want to transfer to The UConn and all of the prospects that want to play at Storrs, Geno's going to have to get a velvet rope.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I never thought Uconn was 'above' transfers - but eight in 30 years is not many. A few things have changed, more and much better players are transferring than did on the 80s/90s, and Uconn is a more desirable destination that it was in that period as well. Since 2004 Uconn has accepted 5 of those eight four year college transfers in two 'windows' both corresponding to a period of 'difficulty' in recruiting post players and all five have been post oriented players. Four of the five had three years of eligibility left and the fifth is a pretty unique talent. two of the five had been seriously recruited out of high school and had chosen to go elsewhere.
I still don't think Uconn is particularly active in the 'transfer market' but when need and interest coincide they are certainly going to take a look.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score

"Guess this could be read different ways but I tend to think it means she wants to finish her eligibility as a player."

I think the OP made it quite clear that it could mean different things (see bolded text above), so what's your point?

Last edited:

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I don't really recall that notion. :confused:
Perhaps not "above," but didn't Geno say when Natalie came here to visit before transferring that taking on transfers wasn't something that UConn did, or something to that effect?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't really recall that notion. :confused:

eh, it wasn't uncommon actually. An offshoot of the 'other programs girls don't have what it takes to play at UCONN' thing or 'if they didn't come here they aren't good enough' or whatever.

Reaction Score
The two of them remind me of Stewart and Tuck, each playing their game and making the other and the team so much better.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A new article on the transfers from Paul Doyle who's doing a nice job on the team beat.

Auriemma has been scouting in Europe two of the past four weeks, but he has seen enough of the transfers to be excited about the future. He loves Camara's "motor" and work ethic, and he believes her offensive game will blossom after a year of practice time. He raves about Stevens' all-around skill and offensive talents, and he thinks she will become a more aggressive player over the next 12 months.

When Stevens decided to transfer from Duke after her sophomore year, UConn was among the schools she had in mind.

After one visit, she was sold.

"I knew kind of what I was looking for," said Stevens, who was born in Rhode Island and has family in New York. "I opened up my recruiting to certain schools and Connecticut came calling. I came up here to take a visit and that's all I needed. Here I am."

For Auriemma, it will be a tease to watch two high-level frontcourt players each day in practice.

"I'm anxious to see what practice looks like when they get out there with our team," Auriemma said. "Because their individual workouts have been really good. I wish we had them available this year."

Stevens, Camara Must Sit A Year, But UConn Women's Practices Should Be Awesome

Second link if needed....

Google

Reaction Score
"I'm anxious to see what practice looks like when they get out there with our team," Auriemma said. "Because their individual workouts have been really good. I wish we had them available this year."
So do we, coach. Certainly would be nice.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno in Europe "scouting" ? Scouting would be in relation to Olympic duties, but what Olympians are actually playing ball in Europe right now?
Recruiting would make more sense in relation to UCONN duties @U17 in Spain. Can some please clarify?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Recruiting would make more sense in relation to UCONN duties @U17 in Spain. Can some please clarify?

Yes, looking at potential recruits in the U17. It was in one of the new articles that I can't find at the moment.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Next year, when they are all eligible, we are going to be able to put some monster height out there...Butler, Stevens, Camara, Samuelson...we could put out a 'big' team averaging 6'4". Will anyone be able to get a rebound but us?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I never thought Uconn was 'above' transfers - but eight in 30 years is not many. A few things have changed, more and much better players are transferring than did on the 80s/90s, and Uconn is a more desirable destination that it was in that period as well. Since 2004 Uconn has accepted 5 of those eight four year college transfers in two 'windows' both corresponding to a period of 'difficulty' in recruiting post players and all five have been post oriented players. Four of the five had three years of eligibility left and the fifth is a pretty unique talent. two of the five had been seriously recruited out of high school and had chosen to go elsewhere.
I still don't think Uconn is particularly active in the 'transfer market' but when need and interest coincide they are certainly going to take a look.
Camara & Butler fit the category UCONN need and interest coinciding but Stevens was a different story. Stevens is arguably the most talented and proven player to ever transfer in the history of WCBB. It would have been negligent of Geno to not take a look.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Geno in Europe "scouting" ? Scouting would be in relation to Olympic duties, but what Olympians are actually playing ball in Europe right now?

He was scouting the opposition.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Camara & Butler fit the category UCONN need and interest coinciding but Stevens was a different story. Stevens is arguably the most talented and proven player to ever transfer in the history of WCBB. It would have been negligent of Geno to not take a look.
Agree, and I think it stands out that she is the one that only has two years of eligibility left, but also comes in with perhaps the most unique skills and upside. Hunter though injured was certainly a comparably ranked player - unfortunately her medical status never allowed her to play fully healthy at Uconn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom