Arkeel Newsome | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can someone refresh me on his recruiting status, who, what and how he feels about us. I don't see anyone on our roster or incoming class that, on paper, should get in his way to being a star in college.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm looking for a what are the chances we land him outlook witout scrolling through all the pages.

Reaction Score
He will have more offers after he camps this year. I wish our conference situation was a little clearer. I think Newsome is as close a must get as it gets. He is a local exceptional standout who could envision himself at state U. Hoping we land him.

Reaction Score
He will have more offers after he camps this year. I wish our conference situation was a little clearer. I think Newsome is as close a must get as it gets. He is a local exceptional standout who could envision himself at state U. Hoping we land him.

I have never seen Newsome in person but have heard some opinions that his size might limit him in terms of offers as a RB. Again, I don't know how big he is so I have no opinion on it just relaying someone else's thoughts.

Reaction Score
I saw him in TV. He looked small but built. Think Dave Meggett.

Now I did see Montrell Dobbs and wasn't overly impressed with him but others felt differently

Reaction Score
I have never seen Newsome in person but have heard some opinions that his size might limit him in terms of offers as a RB. Again, I don't know how big he is so I have no opinion on it just relaying someone else's thoughts.

I liked what I saw last year I wish he was in the bag for us.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't be worried about his size (5'8, 180). He added 15 pounds between his sophomore and junior season and has already started working toward next season. He works extremely hard in the weight room and works with a nutritionist. He will be between 185-190 as a senior. In an article ESPN did on him, his HC, Tom Brockett, said all the schools looking at him aren't concerned about his size and see him as a RB at the next level. Those schools include UConn, Penn State, Florida, Florida St, UMass and BC, so far. He has been on the camp and combine circuit since 7th grade, winning a number of top performer awards. Schools are on him. They anticipate he'll have 15-20 offers by the Spring.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be worried about his size (5'8, 180). He added 15 pounds between his sophomore and junior season and has already started working toward next season. He works extremely hard in the weight room and works with a nutritionist. He will be between 185-190 as a senior. In an article ESPN did on him, his HC, Tom Brockett, said all the schools looking at him aren't concerned about his size and see him as a RB at the next level. Those schools include UConn, Penn State, Florida, Florida St, UMass and BC, so far. He has been on the camp and combine circuit since 7th grade, winning a number of top performer awards. Schools are on him. They anticipate he'll have 15-20 offers by the Spring.
Does that mean "he ain't comin"?

Reaction Score

Could not agree more. This young man has obviously been working on the weights and then some. No problem what so ever about his size. Anyone who thinks the only offers he will get is from us or UMass is simply blind.
This young man along with our new OC could have the same type of impact Dan O did. This not only getting yardage on the field but putting fannies in the seats......
Looking forward to him running rampant at Rentschler......

Reaction Score
Does that mean "he ain't comin"?
No, I wouldn't say that. I think he's going to go through the process. Take his visits. See what schools have to say. He's on record that he likes UConn. They were the first school to offer and he could see himself playing there. He also said that Florida is his dream school. He's a big Gator fan, and would entertain an opportunity to play there, if offered. He camped at Florida last summer and did very well. Better then even he expected, but he felt he held his own against some of the prep players in the country. So, he'll take his time to see what offers come in. I think we will start to hear a lot more on him after the summer circuit.

I can say this. He's a very humble, quiet kid. A good character kid. He doesn't talk much, but he is a tireless worker. He leads by example. He's also a kid that can likely play right away. He won't need a RS season to get physically ready to play D1 football.

Start at 58s mark

Reaction Score
Nice run at 3:30. Didn't watch it all.

Even better run at the 4:31 mark. Crushing downfield block by Andrew Matos, who I'd love to see in a Husky uniform as well. He's another kid that can play multiple positions (WR/Slot/RB), very good size, strong, physical, runs in the 4.4-4.5 range, and a tremendous competitor. Had a great senior season, still under the radar. He'll like go to Milford Academy for more exposure.

Reaction Score
Even better run at the 4:31 mark. Crushing downfield block by Andrew Matos, who I'd love to see in a Husky uniform as well. He's another kid that can play multiple positions (WR/Slot/RB), very good size, strong, physical, runs in the 4.4-4.5 range, and a tremendous competitor. Had a great senior season, still under the radar. He'll like go to Milford Academy for more exposure.

Obviously you have seen him a ton more than me. But whenever I saw Matos, his play screamed linebacker to me. Has he given any thought whatsoever to trying out defense full time?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

The big thing I notice about Ansonia is their blocking, angles and downfield persistence. Arkeel has learned to follow his blocks and use his burst at the right time to blow through to the open space. It's really fun to watch. Who's their OL coach? Is he available?

Reaction Score
The big thing I notice about Ansonia is their blocking, angles and downfield persistence. Arkeel has learned to follow his blocks and use his burst at the right time to blow through to the open space. It's really fun to watch. Who's their OL coach? Is he available?
Len "Butch" Marazzi, former HC at Amity HS.

Reaction Score
Len "Butch" Marazzi, former HC at Amity HS.

Great guy - used to be @ NDWH too. Check out hs Letter to the Editor in today's print edition of the NH Register.

LETTER: Linemen irrelevant in football?
Published: Wednesday, January 23, 2013

By Len Marazzi, Ansonia

This year’s Register All-State Football Team featured 13 outstanding players, with two quarterbacks, three running backs and four receivers who together scored 187 touchdowns.

But amazingly, only two offensive linemen were selected.

I ask: Has the game become just a seven-on-seven game?

I don’t think so! As a high school football coach for more than 35 years, I have watched the role of the offensive lineman grow tremendously.

I am sure if you ask any quarterback, running back or receiver if their offensive linemen are important, they certainly would tell you just how important they are.

But the reporters who chose this team evidently do not feel the same way. To pick only two linemen is a disgrace; and then only five out of the first 26 players is unbelievable.

The Register has chosen a group of all-stars, not an all-state team.

Editor’s note: Len Marazzi is offensive line coach for Ansonia High School’s football team.

Reaction Score
Don't get your hopes up guys! Newsome wants to go to a Florida school. If one of them offer he is not coming to Uconn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom