Arizona Postgame Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Arizona Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Not to mention, ESPN disrespected them by leaving the Wildcats out of the hype video. I’d be pissed to. That was more about no one believing in them than about UConn.
The video was not done by ESPN, it was the promotions department of the NCAA. What is so bad about it they said that the person doing the video thought that the four teams were on it and she deleted the tapes BEFORE proofing it. Who in the heck does that, you delete the tapes after it's proofed, any video editor learns that in their first year be it High School or College.

Reaction Score
Again, so proud of these kids. Tough game from the start. I thought Geno should have regrouped these kids and calmed them down in the first quarter. Don’t know what he was thinking. He might have thought about adding in some double-screens for Paige that could have thrown Aari off a little. One other thing for me and this is my opinion only is that Ono should have been benched for her poor output. Again, my opinion only. Really can’t wait until next season!! 7 months and counting down........

What I find curious here is that some posters wanted Geno to go in the paint more to Liv. I was also very disappointed with Liv's offense. I have been since the Ark game and couldn't believe the number of 3's/outside shots she took in the Tenn game.

I think you hit on that criticism. The thing I could see is keep feeding the paint. Criticize for not getting Paige and Evina to shoot more. :) But whatever.

Reaction Score
As a long suffering WVU fan would you please forward your no account center and your antiquated coach to Morgantown W.V? Congrats on your 13th consecutive final four. How do you tolerate such mediocrity?
LOL...we are just venting after a tough loss. We love our players & our coach, but we hold them to a high standard. By tomorrow, we will start cherishing the great memories of a surprising season & regain our endless optimism. Good luck to your Mountaineers!

Reaction Score
It worked all year and now all of a sudden after one loss you claim it doesn't work? All the other games it was fine and now all of a sudden it is no good?

How about hitting their layups? Why doesn't hitting their layups count for some of you? Why do you ignore this? And if they can't hit their layups why would you feel a change to give the ball to players that have missed layups more opportunity to do so?

The team is a guard oriented team. As is next year. You're going to see the same thing next year if Liv is the center. Unless Liv shows drastic improvement she needs to be in the high post so she can pass the ball to the superstars (Paige/Azzi) and more easily give them picks. In the 1syt quarter did you see how she had one layup and she hit nothing but backboard? And similar she blew another right after that.

And while she is a god passer for a center- now that we dump the ball low to her she is not near the passer the guards are. So your point is to dump the ball to a lesser efficient scorer and passer and yet you think that is a good strategy just because she is taller? She also is a crummy ft shooter. Running your offense through one of your least effective offensive weapons is not the way to go. She showed in 1st quarter she was not up to the task.

The offense had layups yet we're saying the team wasn't prepared? That type of comment is more of a throw a dart because someone is frustrated. They blew too many layups. Up until this frosh class Geno hadn't recruited as well. Unfortunately for some of you, imo you are going to see the same type of offense next year. Geno doesn't have that tremendous post player. Edwards will be good but I wouldn't call her elite next year either
It worked all year and now all of a sudden after one loss you claim it doesn't work? All the other games it was fine and now all of a sudden it is no good?

How about hitting their layups? Why doesn't hitting their layups count for some of you? Why do you ignore this? And if they can't hit their layups why would you feel a change to give the ball to players that have missed layups more opportunity to do so?

The team is a guard oriented team. As is next year. You're going to see the same thing next year if Liv is the center. Unless Liv shows drastic improvement she needs to be in the high post so she can pass the ball to the superstars (Paige/Azzi) and more easily give them picks. In the 1syt quarter did you see how she had one layup and she hit nothing but backboard? And similar she blew another right after that.

And while she is a god passer for a center- now that we dump the ball low to her she is not near the passer the guards are. So your point is to dump the ball to a lesser efficient scorer and passer and yet you think that is a good strategy just because she is taller? She also is a crummy ft shooter. Running your offense through one of your least effective offensive weapons is not the way to go. She showed in 1st quarter she was not up to the task.

The offense had layups yet we're saying the team wasn't prepared? That type of comment is more of a throw a dart because someone is frustrated. They blew too many layups. Up until this frosh class Geno hadn't recruited as well. Unfortunately for some of you, imo you are going to see the same type of offense next year. Geno doesn't have that tremendous post player. Edwards will be good but I wouldn't call her elite next year either.
Why did all of them miss layups, not one , not two but as a team last night? It wasn't the defense when you are talking about open looks 3 feet away. You think the coaching was perfect on our end and it was just execution? I disagree with that. They were not ready for this game, they were tight and played with indecision.

Who exactly did the vaunted offense you espouse work against this year? We beat SC because of Paige and not because of the offense. We lost to Arkansas and barely beat Tennessee again because of Paige, not the offense. You can't count the league games because of the talent disparity. I didn't say it was no good, I said it didn't work last night and I defy you to show me how it worked in that game. We couldn't offensively rebound because we were out of position. They knew what was coming and overplayed the passes to the high post where our big men had to make playmaking decisions. You could just see the uncertainty on Liv's face when she got the ball there. They overplayed the top passes also. Evina would pass and cut to the corner which is the initiation of offense and watch. She needed to get 15-20 last night and is capable of doing it.

Their game plan was excellent, ours was no different than it was previously and there were no consequential adjustments, no major in game changes on either end of the court. It wasn't just missing lay ups, it was a lack of focus, a nervousness, a loss of a sense of urgency. When you have problems starting your offense it follows that you have problems finishing it. Even Geno remarked about his coaching. No, he gets responsibility too and accepted it. This is 3 years in a row we lost in the semis and all 3 of our teams looked uncannily similar. Please understand that these are nothing more than observations. He is the greatest coach ever but not infallible. If he wins, it's about him. If he loses it's about him also.

I saw a lot more than missed layups. I saw us stifled on offense, reactive on defense, and playing their game the entire game, not ours. You want to place responsibility on the players exclusively, that's your opinion and I respect it. It is not what I saw though last night. Even little things like not taking 3s towards the end of the game. If they played well and lost I would feel and think a lot differently. I said very specifically that they seemed as though they were not prepared, even though I knew they were. Geno even said he prepared more for that game than against Baylor. What was that preparation against MacDonald? Was that simply execution also? She controlled the game. In my mind these are honest questions, not frustrated darts.

Reaction Score
Not my team, not my place but...
AZ is very quick and experienced with an intense defense. They start 3 seniors and two juniors and that counted as the game developed. They were used to competing against high level teams in league. UConn is young and, as usual, coasted thru their lower tier league. I give credit every year to Geno and UConn for scheduling great, competitive OOC games to offset the laugher of the week in league. This year COVID hurt that player/team development phase.
Yes UConn missed some inside shots but so did AZ. Part of the game some nights.
On a side note, don’t blame CW or anyone for defense. Aari is undefendable and the only thing that makes a diff is if she is on or not that night.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not my team, not my place but...
AZ is very quick and experienced with an intense defense. They start 3 seniors and two juniors and that counted as the game developed. They were used to competing against high level teams in league. UConn is young and, as usual, coasted thru their lower tier league. I give credit every year to Geno and UConn for scheduling great, competitive OOC games to offset the laugher of the week in league. This year COVID hurt that player/team development phase.
Yes UConn missed some inside shots but so did AZ. Part of the game some nights.
On a side note, don’t blame CW or anyone for defense. Aari is undefendable and the only thing that makes a diff is if she is on or not that night.
Where are you in Florida. I’m in Orlando.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Who would you prefer they gave the foul to? Keep in mind if the whistle blows someone has to get the foul. It's not like football where you can say there's no foul on the play and continue on like it never happened.
If anyone it should have been Nika, at least she did touch the Zona player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If anyone it should have been Nika, at least she did touch the Zona player.
Considering that the phantom foul call cost the Huskies its top defender and leading scorer, the refs could have assigned the foul to anyone other than Christyn.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
As a long suffering WVU fan would you please forward your no account center and your antiquated coach to Morgantown W.V? Congrats on your 13th consecutive final four. How do you tolerate such mediocrity?
Welcome to the Boneyard @Mountainous, but I think UConn will keep both the center and coach.

Reaction Score
Considering that the phantom foul call cost the Huskies its top defender and leading scorer, the refs could have assigned the foul to anyone other than Christyn.
I'm not sure they could. Once the foul has been called, I believe they can only confirm the number of what the ref called (right or wrong). I don't believe they can say, "Oh you called on the swipe, but there was no contact with that swipe, but this other kid was bumping her so give the foul to her."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not sure they could. Once the foul has been called, I believe they can only confirm the number of what the ref called (right or wrong). I don't believe they can say, "Oh you called on the swipe, but there was no contact with that swipe, but this other kid was bumping her so give the foul to her."
But if they couldn’t cancel the foul call or assign it to someone else, and it was clear that Christyn never touched McDonald, why even check the foul on the monitor in the first place?

Reaction Score
But if they couldn’t cancel the foul call or assign it to someone else, and it was clear that Christyn never touched McDonald, why even check the foul on the monitor in the first place?
I think they were merely confirming that the ref had the number correct. As in, "I saw someone from the side swipe in and foul, and I believe it was #13. Let's go to the monitor to confirm that number."

Reaction Score
Alas, they can’t do anything on the review but confirm the number of the person they called the foul on. They called the swipe from CW a foul, thinking she got wrist I guess, so all they could do was confirm that she was the one doing the swiping.
Isn't it a bit ridiculous that they cannot over-rule a called foul that is clearly wrong? I mean, if they are reviewing the play on video anyway, and they see that there was no contact at all....I guess the issue is ; what happens next? Out of bounds to the team in possession? New time clock? What? I'm sure they have thought this through far more than have I.

Reaction Score
I think they were merely confirming that the ref had the number correct. As in, "I saw someone from the side swipe in and foul, and I believe it was #13. Let's go to the monitor to confirm that number."
More often, I think they are making sure of the time. Setting the clock to the exact moment when the refs arm went up.

Reaction Score
Some observations from the game.
1. Arizona has seen UConn's offense already because Stanford runs similar sets. 2. The traps on the screens were very effective.
3. Playing our bigs at the top of the key when we have the big height advantage was a mistake.
4. We have to teach Paige to run into players then fall down. It worked for Carrington and for MacDonald.
5. Can't believe that after the refs missed the phantom foul call on Christyn they reviewed and didn't wave off the foul call. That was more embarrassing not to admit the mistake.
6. We were definitely physically younger than Arizona.
7. Thank you Huskies for helping me thru the pandemic and can't wait for next year.
They don't use instant replay to take a foul away. They only use it for the severity of the foul. Also they said 6 or 7 of the teams in the PAC 12 use UConns offense.

Reaction Score
But they don't need a dominant post player. Just someone that is "good enough." By the way, in 18-19 he was expecting Stevens back. If Stevens is back - we're not going to get thrashed 54-37 in rebounding vs Notre Dame. Or even if Camara was heathy.

The two teams playing this year for the title -- who is the "dominant" post player? Is Brink "dominant?" And Arizona go to the Finals -- how is their post play?
Brink is better than anything UConn has.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I keep reading about who Geno should recruit and we need bigs like Boston and Stewie and some others. How many of them are there? Stewie and Diana and Sue and some others are once in every 10 years We have Paige and Azzi coming. What else do you want. We had 2 losses this season with 7 freshman Why are so man dwelling on the negatives in one game. Guess what its gonna take next years freshman class and the next freshman class a year or 2 to get up to speed. We got them and theyre really good. Why would Brink and Betts go to Stanford????? Education and they will be set for life with a Stanford education. But UConn has a great great roster for next season and 2 great classes comin in and we dont know what Geno has up his sleeve after this years class other then two top 3 players the following year. Yesterdays game is gone focus on whats next. Stop looking in the rear view mirror . God Bless Geno and God Bless the UConn Womens BB team for what theyve done for WCBB and the Boneyard

Reaction Score
Why did all of them miss layups, not one , not two but as a team last night?
BBallF:

I just want to say I respect your opinion 100%. We have gone back enough here and I can say it’s a pleasure to read your stuff even if we disagree. Anything below I’m saying if it comes across anything other than respect in no way it meant to be.

1—About the layups – I don’t understand the point. Are you blaming Geno for UCONN missing layups? And as far Geno as perfect – I think it is impossible to project any coach as that. Nor are we. Not even close. The ironic thing is that I would’ve benched Liv more so. Not look to give her the ball more.

2—In terms of their offense – UConn dismantled Iowa and put up 69 vs Baylor. They had fine enough execution there. But overall we knew this team was young and we knew outside shooting was a problem. If I were to project this team over the past 20 years it would be bottom 3rd because they were never all that powerful as evidenced by the games you cited. A tough team to beat but not great. So why would anyone get in a tizzy over a team that was not “great” but only “very good?” A team that is "Very good" but not "great" is vulnerable to poor offensive games.

3—Regarding UCONN vs SC- UCONN won the game. vs a top 4 team in America. I can’t complain anything about that. For me it doesn’t matter the degree of their offense if they win- as long as they win. Why should it? There have been some issues with Geno I have disagreed with over the years but eh end sup winning. And still recruiting like a madman. I'm supposed to nitpcik him?

4—In terms of Liv- She can’t even consistently hit a layup with much consistency or hit ft’s. . So I’m going to take the ball out of NPOY Paige’s and CWill’s hands, and have her as a top-tier option? They both shot better than she did in this game too.

5—Over the last 20 years we’ve had as our top low post threats- AJones, JMoore, (the 04-05 team conceding didn’t have a true center), Tina Charles, SDolson, Stewie/Tuck, Gabby/Collier. She’s the 2nd worst low post scorer. And frankly the 04-05 team had used Charde playing center sometimes and she was a better low post scorer. So this is the worst (or 2nd worst) scorer in the last 20 years UConn has had for a low post player and we’re supposed to go away from the NPOY because you didn’t like the look on her face from the high post? How about she hits some layups to get that look off her face if it was there?

6--- In terms of defying me—fine. The team is not that great. When you have a high-powered offense and it gets shutdown I defy you to show me how you could say any offense that gets shutdown will look good. If you aren’t a great team – that’s what can happen. You saw the two games you cited. And even some Big East games. The offense looks poor because they aren’t like the great teams. Even 01-02 struggled vs Va Tech. Remember the infamous title game vs Stanford that, UCONN scored 15 points at halftime. Can I look at most years and find instances of an offense that struggled in some games? Sure I can.

7- And a final point I mean no disrespect with this but I just want to make it clear how much I disagree with any thought the offense should go through Liv just because she is taller. In addition, if she is in the low post, it means Edwards has less room to operate. That doesn’t make the team better either.

Reaction Score
But is she domnant low post player?

That was my point.
She's a freshman who is better than UConns. If they had trades in WCBB. I would give up Liv and Aubrey in a heartbeat for Brink. But there isn't so those 2 need serious help with their offense. If not go small next year with Edwards in the post.

Reaction Score
She's a freshman who is better than UConns. If they had trades in WCBB. I would give up Liv and Aubrey in a heartbeat for Brink. But there isn't so those 2 need serious help with their offense. If not go small next year with Edwards in the post.
But it wasn't the point the larry;legend said or the point I made to him.

Yes she is better. I never argued that.

LarryLegend spoke of a dominant post player. My post was stating there is no dominant post player.

I agree Brink is better but my post was not addressing who was better.

I'm leaning towards your point though of benching Liv. But that is for next year. Anyhow, some years seniors have a funny way of shocking all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom