Arizona Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Arizona Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Arizona game:
  • Arizona is the most experienced team UConn has faced in the tournament, and their defense never allowed UConn to settle into its offensive comfort zone.
  • Christyn was one of the few Huskies to show up on offense, and I actually believe she played pretty good defense, but it didn’t matter when McDonald hit shots from the cheap seats with a hand in in her face or threw more moves at UConn's defense than Elvis.
  • The 5th foul on Christyn was an awful call, a complete phantom foul.
  • Paige and Evina got going a little in the second half, but UConn needed more from everyone.
  • There is certainly much to criticize about UConn’s play, but I will leave that to others. The Huskies fought to the very end tonight.
  • It has been a great season for these young Huskies. The future is incredibly bright. Hoping we can make it back to the promised land next year and finally get that 12th banner for Gampel.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know Geno has been quoted saying the Elite Eight game is the hardest to win, but I'd challenge him that the semi-final is the hardest to win. For some reason these teams have had big issues in this round, even when favored.

Great season by a young group. It was a really bright spot among all of this awful covid news. Hopefully the reinforcements we add next year can put this group over the top. That, and lots of layup drills!

Reaction Score
Tough way to end a great season. They were chasing the entire time and that takes a lot out of you. Arizona came out the more intense team, they looked better prepared and they executed much better. It was their night.

I was happy to see CW play some of her best ball these last handful of games, I hope it sets her up for a great senior season.

AZ focused on making life hard for Paige and they did. Even still she had a solid night and showed how special she is, but also how much more she can grow.

ONO for being 6’5” has some of the worst touch around the basket I can remember. I counted 4 or 5 missed shots right at the rim. Her last two games, offensively, should provide her plenty of motivation to work her tail off for next year.

Good experience for some of the others. I hope we find ourselves right back next year with a different outcome.

Reaction Score
Credit has to be given to Arizona and Barnes. Their team doesn't bristle with offensive weapons or height. But what they can do, they do well.

But that only counts for some of it. As I said in chat, UConn should be capable of exceeding 60 points with ease against any team, and only a bit more than that would've been enough tonight.

It just seems that whether it was nerves or whether it was a letdown from that emotional Baylor game, we had a letdown game on top of what Arizona was doing. Some of the misses up close were unfathomable. You just need five of those dozen+ misses to go in, and it's tied.

This one will sting for sure. Of course, at this time of year all the losses do. But lots of players will be able to look back and this one and ask about what more could've been given. I give passes to Paige (who did the best she could under that defensive swarming with little help) and CW before that weird 5th foul. And scarcely anyone else tonight, sadly. :(

Ah well, it happens. Good season, team.

Reaction Score
Liv did not show up. Missed too many layups. Couldn’t contain Aari. Arizona just played better and they wanted it more and was the aggressor most of the night. Congrats to them. Should never underestimate an opponent during the tournament and we may have as a team and as fans. I hope Arizona can win it all. For us I hope we continue to build on this great season and come back stronger. We needed a little more fire power, but I am encouraged by CWill in this tournament. I had a great joy watching this team and feel for them. Till next year

Reaction Score
Proud of the season and there’s a lot to look forward to, but man that one hurts.

Can’t leave 30 points in layups on the floor and win. I wish we at least put up a better fight, but that was just a horrible way to go out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32