Are we tiring teams out due to superior conditioning? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are we tiring teams out due to superior conditioning?

Reaction Score
I think it’s very possible that’s a factor. I think the bigger issue is the mental side of things on defense. As many others have mentioned, defending UConn is a wildly different animal than say defending Alabama, where you kind of know what’s going to happen every play. They’re going to run a pick and roll, run an off-ball shooter off a pin down, etc.

Having to be hyper focused on trying to decipher what UConn is running, where the 2-3 options are off every play, and adjust is just difficult and keeping that up for 40 minutes is nearly impossible. And as a weakside defender, you can get too focused on helping because we cut so well that you will get killed if you lose focus for a second.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's another way to think of it.

Almost everyone one of us has done suicides on the basketball court. Uconn's offense is the first two legs of the suicide- baseline to foul line and baseline to half court and not doing the longer legs of the suicide. It's quick acceleration, stop, change direction and accelerate again.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure if we physically wear out the other team, but i think the complex offense mentally wears on the opposing team. It's difficult to guard for 40 minutes.
Also must be very demoralizing for a team to be playing a great defensive possession for 25 seconds, then 1 slip up by someone and we drain an open 3/alley-oop/backdoor layup....those are backbreakers. Then go on offense and you think you run a good set for an easy shot...and then Cling Kong sends the ball back 3 rows deep.

Reaction Score
Is clingan gonna break 30 mins if we get to the finals against Purdue? Edey just played 38 and 39 mins in 2 days. What’s Clingan season high in minutes?

Reaction Score
Is clingan gonna break 30 mins if we get to the finals against Purdue? Edey just played 38 and 39 mins in 2 days. What’s Clingan season high in minutes?
32 against Kansas, 31 against Marquette in the B.E. Finals and 30 against Indiana.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I don't know how many times in the chat room that we find ourselves waiting for an opponents run that just never happens. We make them work so hard, they can never find a second gear. Conditioning is a key ingredient.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Unless Samson gets abused, 25-30 is where Danny wants him. Bad things happen when he gets gassed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our conditioning is better than nearly everyone and yes, this plays a large role in our success but I believe the combination of physical fatigue that we impose and mental fatigue is what causes damage.
I agree. I think the work it takes to defend our offense wears other teams out. Every team has to play every possession.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
Its like a compound effect of conditioning, talent, great decision making, heart, skills, size, etc. These other teams can play amazing and give it their all, but the sum total eventually catches up after 15, 20, 25 mins.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
A lot of it is conditioning yes, but getting your ass stomped is demoralizing and will also cause players to tire or 'quit' in different ways.

Just saying there is some mental tiring as well as physical. Futile situations will do that.
Former long distance hiker here, and getting beat (rain) doesn't make the hike that much harder but it makes one want to stop that much sooner. I could do a fair distance over many days but afternoon thunderstorms, they were the worst.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At times yes, but the 30-0 run was right after halftime when Illinois was rested up. You can mentally break a team as well.
They looked like they didn't want to be on the court anymore in the second half. I get it. It has to suck facing that unrelenting onslaught.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also must be very demoralizing for a team to be playing a great defensive possession for 25 seconds, then 1 slip up by someone and we drain an open 3/alley-oop/backdoor layup....those are backbreakers. Then go on offense and you think you run a good set for an easy shot...and then Cling Kong sends the ball back 3 rows deep.
And if you miss a shot the odds are good that there's going to be a long outlet pass for an easy lay up.

Reaction Score
UConn has turned up defensive effort to incredible levels. Does that impact or detract from our 3 point shooting?

Reaction Score
Unless Samson gets abused, 25-30 is where Danny wants him. Bad things happen when he gets gassed.
Samson presents some challenges for our coaching staff to game plan on defense against Edey to say the least but his speed and athleticism would also present Edey with some big issues on the other side of the ball. He would beat Edey down the floor handily every single time and presents a lob threat in the half court that Edey has struggled with.

Reaction Score
If we meet Purdue Edey is going to have to keep up with Donovan and Samson running the court. I hope the refs let them play and don’t put 2 early fouls on DC

Reaction Score
It's conditioning, depth, effort, basketball IQ and mix of size and speed that few, if any, other teams off.
It's like asking a group to chase and wrestle a pride of lions. Then, you take a few of the lions out and then ask the guy to chase a few lions and a few cheetahs.
It's also coaching, and reading your guys and knowing when they need a breather. Aside from the offense he installed and the defense that his teams always bring, Hurley doesn't get enough credit still for knowing how well he knows his guys and how he handles them.

Reaction Score
At times yes, but the 30-0 run was right after halftime when Illinois was rested up. You can mentally break a team as well.

See Clingan stuffing Shannon's attempted slam. Will broken.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
UConn has turned up defensive effort to incredible levels. Does that impact or detract from our 3 point shooting?

I theorize that when we shoot a non-forced three (even most 'open' ones) too soon in the clock, we forfeit the compounding advantage of requiring opponents to play defense for longer periods of time through several 'looks.' This allows opponents to set up their offense more easily.

If we start with defense, the offense flows better, and the points come. Saturday's missed threes were what I call "self-rushed." Yes, they would be back-breakers and crowd-pleasers if they went in, but if they aren't going in, change the pace by making an extra pass. This team has other ways to break the opponent's back & please the crowd. Lately, it has been called "the second half."

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Have you seen the video of Hurley exhorting the team about running?

"Championship program was built on men who ran everywhere."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Alabama doesn't have a great defense, so I can't imagine it's going to be easy for them to run their uptempo offense and chase our guys around for 80% of the shot clock most defensive possessions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom