Are we tiring teams out due to superior conditioning? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Are we tiring teams out due to superior conditioning?

Reaction Score
I theorize that when we shoot a non-forced three (even most 'open' ones) too soon in the clock, we forfeit the compounding advantage of requiring opponents to play defense for longer periods of time through several 'looks.' This allows opponents to set up their offense more easily.

If we start with defense, the offense flows better, and the points come. Saturday's missed threes were what I call "self-rushed." Yes, they would be back-breakers and crowd-pleasers if they went in, but if they aren't going in, change the pace by making an extra pass. This team has other ways to break the opponent's back & please the crowd. Lately, it has been called "the second half."
Agree with forfeiting the physical compounding effect of playing D, but if we don't shoot those open 3s early in the clock, opponents will sit on them and play back/help against back screens. It removes a decision that the defenders have to make which forfeits the mental compounding effect of having to play D on this team.

We need our shooters to continue to shoot open shots regardless of the shot clock; they just need to go in more frequently.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Our team's low pace metric is a perfect example of why analytics should always be taken with a grain of salt.
Pace is based on number of possessions a team has per game, which depends on a team's offensive and defenive possessions... not just if they're offensively pushing the ball.

UConn is often elaborate with their offensive sets, resulting in slow pace. But they can also push things in transition and rim run when needed. Defensively, we are pretty good, so that typically creates long possessions for our opponents, impacting our possessions and pace.

Make no mistake, this team is well conditioned mentally and physically. Bama fans citing the pace metric as an opportunity for their team will be in for a rude awakening.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Agree with forfeiting the physical compounding effect of playing D, but if we don't shoot those open 3s early in the clock, opponents will sit on them and play back/help against back screens. It removes a decision that the defenders have to make which forfeits the mental compounding effect of having to play D on this team.

We need our shooters to continue to shoot open shots regardless of the shot clock; they just need to go in more frequently.
You might be right.

Expressed with greater specificity, my ask is modest: work an extra pass around the perimeter for a few cycles if 3 consecutive well-chosen 3-point attempts miss. I'm referring to the ones where you wince that a good shooter was open but the shot surprised & disappointed you for not just missing, but looking bad.

The Illinois & Northwestern games had a shockingly high percentage of misses.

It's not a big deal, given how the games turned out, but it has gotten this crowd concerned.

Last edited:

KeyWestUC

Southernmost UCONN
Reaction Score
Been texting all year during games: Gotta Go 4 - 0!

Reaction Score
You might be right.

Expressed with greater specificity, my ask is modest: work an extra pass around the perimeter for a few cycles if 3 consecutive well-chosen 3-point attempts miss. I'm referring to the ones where you wince that a good shooter was open but the shot surprised & disappointed you for not just missing, but looking bad.

The Illinois & Northwestern games had a shockingly high percentage of misses.

It's not a big deal, given how the games turned out, but it has gotten this crowd concerned.
Fair. I've been concerned with our three point shooting dating back to before the Creighton loss. Too many games with percentages in the teens and 20s.

caw

Reaction Score
Alabama doesn't have a great defense, so I can't imagine it's going to be easy for them to run their uptempo offense and chase our guys around for 80% of the shot clock most defensive possessions.

They could be like SJU and just not really get back on defense so UConn takes faster shots. lol

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
it’s the combination of mental and physical exhaustion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom