Are we emotionally and physically prepared for Geno's retirement? | The Boneyard

Are we emotionally and physically prepared for Geno's retirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His reign won’t last forever. Personally, I hope he coaches till he is in his 70’s. But many of us know (deep down) he will retire before then. We don’t want to think about it, do we? What will we do? You all know that CD will retire with him; don’t you?

I think, deep down, that the WBB program at UConn will quickly deteriorate following his departure.

Would Geno’s retirement be more traumatic than the death of a loved one? I have an uncle that I’d sacrifice for two more years of Geno at the helm.

But seriously, how would you deal with Geno’s retirement?

I’ve given this topic a lot of thought, but every time I get too deep in thought about it, I change the subject because I just can’t deal with it.

Am I alone here?

What will you do following Geno’s retirement?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No, you guys arent.

I'll add that I'm not prepared for Coach K's retirement.. whenever in the future that is. I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride as much as I can. I know that yall are doing the same.

Reaction Score
His reign won’t last forever. Personally, I hope he coaches till he is in his 70’s. But many of us know (deep down) he will retire before then. We don’t want to think about it, do we? What will we do? You all know that CD will retire with him; don’t you?

I think, deep down, that the WBB program at UConn will quickly deteriorate following his departure.

Would Geno’s retirement be more traumatic than the death of a loved one? I have an uncle that I’d sacrifice for two more years of Geno at the helm.

I’ve given this topic a lot of thought, but every time I get too deep in thought about it, I change the subject because I just can’t deal with it.

Am I alone here?

Celebrating and relishing what we have had these past 30 years and future how many years to come, with Geno and CD, is a much healthier way to view this thread quire. All of us will experience future endings of successes, health, sports dynasties, and yes death. Yet why even go there now borrowing tomorrow's let-down's robbing today of its current joys? I will deal with the inevitable when it comes and not a second too soon. For now I will enjoy basking in the golden age of UConn Women's Basketball under Geno and CD!

Reaction Score
I have to defer to Alfred E. Newman on this one.

th

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I think talking about this now is just foolish.
We're on another great run and we're going to talk about something that's years away?
I don't get it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hey, if you want depression short of despair, though with a hearty dollop of helplessness : start a thread about the AAC! PS. Please don't.:eek:

Reaction Score
I don't think the retirement is coming any time soon. I remember seeing an interview with Geno, I think it was from maybe 5 or more years ago where he said he didn't want to be one of those old guys hanging on in his late-60s and wanted to retire and maybe start a vineyard or something like that. The way he is going shows no sign of slowing down. Perhaps it's easier to talk about leaving what you built when the finish line is a decade plus into the future, but once you start to get close to that, and you still have passion for what you do, you rethink it. And, yes, CD said she is going when he does - there's not that much age difference there anyway. I say we have about 7-10 years left which sounds a lot like the weekly snowfall forecasts here in Connecticut.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Emotionally, no. But he's got a few more years in him. I'd say at least til 67, maybe longer.

Physically? What?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I am not worried, as I am convinced that DT will take over when Geno retires and things will go on as they are supposed to.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So at UConn you have a few fans worrying about what happens when the coach finally leaves, while down in Knoxville you have a whole bunch worrying what will happen if she doesn't.

Warm and toasty times in Storrs right now.

Reaction Score
I live in the moment. I don't worry about tomorrow, next week, or even next year. I only focus on the "right now" moment. So I am just going to enjoy coach Geno and coach CD's wonderful run leading the UConn program to great heights. Enjoy the moment.

Reaction Score
I believe that Shea will take the reigns and continue to do what Geno has done all along. No need to worry.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I have no idea when Geno will retire but what concerns me when the time comes is I'm guessing that CD will retire along side him. That will leave four really huge shoes to fill.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
As the Beatles sang in my favorite song:

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream.

We do not have to do anything to prepare. It will happen when it happens. It is not in our control. What follows will follow.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Am I alone here?

There are a strangely high number of speculative polls and opinion pieces on Geno's departure and/or prospective replacement. I'm not prepared, concerned, worried or even thinking about Geno retiring. Heck he's just getting started. The average life expectancy is getting longer but aside from that why dwell on endings? Or for that matter the next 2 championships. Or for that matter on the recruiting class of 2018. IMO far too much time is spent by people on what will happen 1, 5 or 10 years from now. To me it's far more enjoyable focusing on the marvelous team at UCONN right now! We're so lucky being fans of UCONN. Especially for those of us in areas socked in by snow, ice & cold. To have a great bunch of team players and people to watch in action several times a week. And now that March madness is almost upon us, pondering the future 10 years out isn't something I want to waste my time on.

PS: I'm not even quite sure yet what I'm going to do in MY retirement, let alone what I'm going to do when Geno retires. :p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to Coach Taurasi's press conferences. :)

On a serious note, what we've been fortunate to experience for 20 years is not normal. The new coach can't do any better. If we're lucky, we'll still be top 5 and get a few more natties.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
So at UConn you have a few fans worrying about what happens when the coach finally leaves, while down in Knoxville you have a whole bunch worrying what will happen if she doesn't.

Warm and toasty times in Storrs right now.

In Durham, too.

Reaction Score

Am I alone here?

I will be fine but as a fellow Huskies fan I suggest you seek medical help ASAP.

Reaction Score
As someone who has rearranged my vacation plans so I can watch UConn play I can't think about the unthinkable. Like Johnny Wooden, Geno is irreplaceable. I intend to stay in the present and enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
Unless a car is coming at you on 84 or someone has a gun to your head, stress is produced when our thoughts are either in the past or out in the future. This is the only moment we have. Enjoy it, 'cause their going to throw dirt on you one day. (And a cheery good Saturday morning to all you BY'ers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom