Are They Not Worried? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are They Not Worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Sure, they didn't leave to play tiddlywinks, but Jones and Salvadores gave up the vaunted Duke degree to leave pre-maturely they (and the coaches and the others), must have substantial reasons.

Salvadores was never going to get her degree. She was not going to play in college for more than two years. Jones

Jones' father was paralyzed in an auto accident several years ago, so traveling to places closer to their home base in Irving, Texas, is MUCH easier.

But consider the difference in the play in Williams for example since she left the program. If its not incompetence, it's pretty close to the line

This was Williams' second WNBA season since graduating from Duke.

By that same argument, a college senior who was a high school All-American and a top ten player, but lost her starting spot and averaged only 6.6 ppg her senior year. In her second WNBA season, she averaged 13.1 ppg and 5.5 rpg, while being named an All Star. That player was Charde Houston. No one has accused Geno of incompetence because of how she performed in the WNBA (and Williams put up much better numbers than Houston in college).

My point is that you cannot use sheer numbers alone to justify incompetence. Williams averaged 14.4 points and 8.0 rebounds for her entire career at Duke. She averaged 12 points and 8.1 rebounds in her second WNBA season. Cannot really use that to show incompetence.

Now, if she were hitting threes, shooting over 75 percent from the line, etc. that would show the development of her game - something that did not happen at Duke (as she was strictly a low block player and did not ever develop into a consistent free throw shooter). But you cannot say "consider the difference in play in Williams" and use that to justify "incompetence."

Reaction Score
Salvadores was never going to get her degree. She was not going to play in college for more than two years. Jones

Jones' father was paralyzed in an auto accident several years ago, so traveling to places closer to their home base in Irving, Texas, is MUCH easier.

This was Williams' second WNBA season since graduating from Duke.

By that same argument, a college senior who was a high school All-American and a top ten player, but lost her starting spot and averaged only 6.6 ppg her senior year. In her second WNBA season, she averaged 13.1 ppg and 5.5 rpg, while being named an All Star. That player was Charde Houston. No one has accused Geno of incompetence because of how she performed in the WNBA (and Williams put up much better numbers than Houston in college).

My point is that you cannot use sheer numbers alone to justify incompetence. Williams averaged 14.4 points and 8.0 rebounds for her entire career at Duke. She averaged 12 points and 8.1 rebounds in her second WNBA season. Cannot really use that to show incompetence.

Now, if she were hitting threes, shooting over 75 percent from the line, etc. that would show the development of her game - something that did not happen at Duke (as she was strictly a low block player and did not ever develop into a consistent free throw shooter). But you cannot say "consider the difference in play in Williams" and use that to justify "incompetence."

Incompetence is a strong word to use about a top 20/30 coach---

No one could, realistically, use that word about Geno with Charde or Kiah Stoke. So why is it used against JPM with Williams?
Charde Huston was a problem child for Geno for 4 years. She could score, but usually walked on the way to the basket. At the point of the Uconn press she was exceptional--she was terrible at practicing--her work ethic was not great. Eventually the Refs all knew that she had a strong tendency to travel and called it. The WNBA is more lenient towards "walks" and other small infractions--so Charde gets away with more
If you wanted to use a proper comparison to Williams--it's Kiah Stokes--she bloomed. Williams got awards that Kiah was better in. In the meeting between Williams and Kiah at Duke--Kiah stopped her cold for much of the game--.

Reaction Score
That is not my premise at all but one I can easily defend. My premise is this: When there is a buyout situation involved there is a tremendous inequality involved in the calculation that is disadvantageous to women's programs.

Q: Putting aside the economic realities, what is the basis for doing so?
A: Coaching Incompetence for starters. Give the number of high level recruits to attend Duke the results as measured by player development and record against top ranked opponents. Why do I suddenly feel like I'm preaching to the choir here and that someone has high jacked the former Cam? The number of recent Duke transfer would be another reason as is her tendency to throw her players under the bus at every opportunity.

Q: How many coaches of men's teams can you name that have been fired with that winning percentage and without any sustained allegation of criminal conduct or abuse?
A: I hate to answer a question with a questions but how many Women's coaches, regardless of record, have had to been investigated by HR based on complaints from multiple former players and assistant coaches. While the investigation did not result in "sustained allegation of criminal conduct or abuse" it did conclude that JPM could/should treat people better-much better! Duke HR should not have to conduct an investigation for JPM to learn this very basic lesson and perhaps the money for the investigation would have been better spend on her buyout.

Fans forget COACHES are HUMAN---they come in all sizes, with all of the positives and negatives of the Human race. Some respond to external pressures well other not so much. I heard Geno, during "off" years, when being beaten regularly by ND --blow up at questions about why he was not winning--pressure even gets to Geno.
One Coaches learning moment --can be considered another coaches abuse. We all don't have the same "delivery method".
Then too--players have for years accepted that some coaches use terribly vulgar words or phrases or move players around physically to show where they belong---NOW some of that is considered ABUSE.
Then there is the player who knows how to :"Work " the system, and knows an allegation may get the coach fired --if not that at least a negative press. Kids today are a lot more PR/legal savvy than you or I were.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Jade Williams to Duke.

Recruiting Rankings for Jade Williams (as of October 25, 2016)
ESPN: #13
Prospects Nation: #15
ASGR: #21
Dan Olson Collegiate Girls Basketball Report: #13

Updated Recruiting Rankings - Mikayla Boykin (as of October 17, 2016)
#5 ASGR
#16 Blue Star
#20 ESPN/Hoopgurlz
#20 Dan Olson (who does the ESPN rankings)
#40 ProspectsNation

For the Class of 2017, Duke now has two players who are Top 20 players and likely MCDAAs - Jade Williams and Mikayla Boykin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom