AP/USA Today: Huskies expect to challenge for 8th title | The Boneyard

AP/USA Today: Huskies expect to challenge for 8th title

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Junior center Stefanie Dolson and sophomore Kiah Stokes, will be joined down low by Stewart and 6-2 freshman Morgan Tuck, whom Auriemma says has been the best post player in the early practices."

LINK

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I know I'm enthusiastic and I'm delighted that the team and staff are as well.
Do we all remember our contentious thread about starting and playing time?
Seems like a long time ago.
I'm especially delighted that Ms. Tuck, a young woman that a few of us have been tooting has already gotten plaudits from the boss.
And we all know what he thinks about freshmen, especially those who play down low.
Michael
calling in from Shangri-La China
(But planning to be back for the first game)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
snidely_whiplash.jpg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"We're going to try to win a national championship. And if we need to knock off Baylor, which is probably going to have to happen, then we will."

"We plan to win a national championship and not lose a game."

Out of curiosity, does anyone recall the 2001-02 team being quoted this way? I am pretty sure they felt they were on a mission that year and that no one was going to stop them, but I don't know if they came out and said it in the press, particularly in the pre-season. Or did they?

I like this team's moxie....:cool:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I dunno...something doesn't click about this article. Doesn't sound like our usual October spin. Mojo? Maybe I like there to be some hesitation, or I'm used to that, even in the "good" old days. An aura of strangeness...I'll shake it off...That being said, I am pumped beyond belief!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, speak for myself and Tony with our sublime optimism, or "what, me worry?" attitude........

WHOO HOOOO!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Just think, Moriah, Morgan and Breanna all have a legitimate shot at 4 NCs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am haunted by the memory of Nicole Wolff scoring 18 points in her first game.

One definition of a pessimist is "an optimist with experience."

Then there was General Custer's pep talk to his troops before the Battle of Little Big Horn: "Remember men, don't take any prisoners!" (I guess they didn't.)

I am, of course, eager and ready to change my signature line from "seven" to "eight." The moment it happens.

HGN

Reaction Score
All we need is good health............And we're back to the FF.

Reaction Score
I am haunted by the memory of Nicole Wolff scoring 18 points in her first game.
We were at that game! She was hurt so much, did she score 18 points the rest of the season?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wow, this team is doing some talking, from Geno on down.

And Geno doesn't talk like that unless he's really feeling it.

Certainly this team has its eyes on the prize and the talent to get it done. Baylor does too. KML's comments may raise some eyebrows, but I like it. If UConn is healthy this season, there are no discernable weaknesses. The question is whether Griner-Sims is a strength that can be toppled.

Cannot wait for the game in Hartford.

Reaction Score
I think the nick name KML gave her early on is just fine-- BABY HUSKY! It sings.

Reaction Score
At least he just said we would challenge. I remember that after the 2000 championship he "guaranteed" we would win again the next year. Seems like negative MoJo as both Shea and Sveta went down with injuries and Diana probably had the worst shooting half of her career as we had our first semi-final loss to Notre Dame . Maybe just saying we'll be really good won't cause anything bad to happen.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
They're going to go undefeated if the key players stay healthy for most of the season. Much is always made of the "We have Diana (Maya) and they don't" quotes of the past but quite frankly, we have Geno and they don't. Baylor might match up talent wise due to having the best player in the country but no one matches up with Geno in terms of getting the most out of literally every player that sees the floor.

Reaction Score
I typically stay away from these preseason projects, since you never really know how a team will gel and fit together.

But this year, it will UConn and Baylor, then a HUGE gap between everyone else. It's not even close, really.

Reaction Score
Then there was General Custer's pep talk to his troops before the Battle of Little Big Horn: "Remember men, don't take any prisoners!"
Since Edison hadn't quite perfected his first electric recording gizmo before Little Big Horn, Kib, I wonder did you ever find out which of Custer's soldiers was taking dictation during his speech?

Reaction Score
" ... Fifth-year senior guard Caroline Doty, who played with Maya Moore and Tina Charles said Stewart has that type of potential.

'To have her length and her athleticism, being able to shoot the 3 and having all her options down low, it's unbelievable,' Doty said..."

It's clear from that quote that Caroline has been around Geno for a very long time. She's beginning to talk like him.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
" ... Fifth-year senior guard Caroline Doty, who played with Maya Moore and Tina Charles said Stewart has that type of potential.

'To have her length and her athleticism, being able to shoot the 3 and having all her options down low, it's unbelievable,' Doty said..."

It's clear from that quote that Caroline has been around Geno for a very long time. She's beginning to talk like him.
Nonna Doty!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Maybe, well certainly not at UCONN, Baylor level, but with the world's first 5-guard offense (at least 4), Notre Dame is going to be pesky and excellent. You heard it here.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Since Edison hadn't quite perfected his first electric recording gizmo before Little Big Horn, Kib, I wonder did you ever find out which of Custer's soldiers was taking dictation during his speech?

Well, since the only 7th Calvary survior was a horse - I think his name was Comanche - there must of been a "Mr. Ed" situation going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom