AP Poll - 1/22

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Surprised Seton Hall is not in but a couple other teams like Memphis are

Reaction Score
Another week at #1 for the good guys!

North Carolina is looking like our best win by far. They’re top 3 now

Is Auburn that good? I haven’t watched much of them this year but they’re top 10

Same question with Dayton. #16 and up 5 spots after beating St Louis and Rhode Island?

Creighton went up 1 spot after being embarrassed by us and needing 3OT against Seton Hall

Memphis down to 19 and there’s a good argument that 19 is generous

Seton Hall first team out. They have PC and Marquette this week. 2-0 puts them in

Reaction Score
Another week at #1 for the good guys!

North Carolina is looking like our best win by far. They’re top 3 now

Is Auburn that good? I haven’t watched much of them this year but they’re top 10

Same question with Dayton. #16 and up 5 spots after beating St Louis and Rhode Island?

Creighton went up 1 spot after being embarrassed by us and needing 3OT against Seton Hall

Memphis down to 19 and there’s a good argument that 19 is generous

Seton Hall first team out. They have PC and Marquette this week. 2-0 puts them in
good, yes...that good, probably not

Also, how do NET rankings make any sense at all???

1705950214523.png

we actually dropped after picking up an additional 2 Q1 wins last week, while Auburn still has checks notes 0...

Reaction Score
Associated Press

UConn, Purdue remain atop jumbled AP Top 25; No. 25 New Mexico moves into rankings​

JOHN MARSHALL
Mon, January 22, 2024 at 1:04 PM EST·3 min read

UConn's Hassan Diarra, right, celebrates with his teammates after drawing a foul during the second half of the team's NCAA college basketball game against Villanova on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Chris Szagola)

1 / 2

UConn Villanova Basketball​

UConn's Hassan Diarra, right, celebrates with his teammates after drawing a foul during the second half of the team's NCAA college basketball game against Villanova on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Chris Szagola)
ASSOCIATED PRESS

The AP Top 25 had another week of upheaval, with teams bouncing around like kernels in a popcorn maker.
The same two teams remained at the top amid the poll turmoil.
Reigning national champion Connecticut stayed No. 1 in The Associated Press men's college basketball poll released Monday, receiving 44 first-place votes from a 61-person media panel. No. 2 Purdue got 17 first-place votes.

UConn moved to the top of the poll last week for the first time in 15 years.
The Huskies opened the week with a lopsided win over No. 17 Creighton in David Clingan's return from a right foot injury. UConn then edged Villanova 66-65 in a physical game that had coach Dan Hurley talking about jujitsu, Muay Thai and UFC fighting.
“When you get ranked No. 1 — coach talked about it the entire week — it’s like a temporary belt,” UConn's Alex Karaban said. “You’ve got to continue to protect the belt, protect the heavyweight championship.”

Donovan changed his name? Sloppy work by the AP...lol

Reaction Score
UNC at 3 is so funny. I am in favor of it since we beat them but they are the worst top 5 team I have ever seen. That joke of a conference is propping them up
Went to the BC UNC game Saturday and its hilarious that they are ranked 3rd. Just so underwhelming from a talent and coaching perspective.

Reaction Score
UNC at 3 is so funny. I am in favor of it since we beat them but they are the worst top 5 team I have ever seen. That joke of a conference is propping them up
Totally agree. I was listening to the Field of 68 the other night and Dauster had them in the group with UConn and Purdue as teams that can win it all. He also said nobody can beat Purdue at their best. Yawn

Reaction Score
What games were you watching recently where they looked like the worst top 5 team ever?

Reaction Score
I have posted on here several times about Dayton because my daughter graduated from Dayton in 2021. The 2023-4 team looks alot like the 2020 Obi Toppin team but not quite as good (Obi was special). DaRon Holmes is Dayton's highest ever recruit (247 #54 in 2021). He tested the NBA after last season but came back this year and is the leading candidate for A10 player of the year. Dayton runs a very efficient offense and have some impressive 3 point shooters. But they rely heavily on Holmes and the 3 and if either are not working well, they are vulnerable as their defense is average at best.

They are 15 in the NET rankings with a 3-1 Quad 1 record. Their out of conference schedule was good and they have wins over St John's, LSU, SMU and Cincinatti. Their 2 losses are against Northwestern and Houston.

As for Dayton in general, what a great basketball school. Tons of fan support and a great basketball environment. And their fans travel very well.

Reaction Score
There is an east coast basketball-centric "power" conference with 15 members and all they have to show for it is the same 2 programs from NC. OK, one more in ORV. CR is hard.

Fail Good Day GIF by 1331Creative

Reaction Score
Which teams should be ahead of them?
Wisconsin, Marquette, maybe Creighton? Do Baylor and Michigan State wins offset putrid losses against Pitt and GT and justify a ranking just outside the top 10?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Gained 1st place votes but overall score went down. From 1542 to 1508.

Orc

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I was listening to the Field of 68 the other night and Dauster had them in the group with UConn and Purdue as teams that can win it all. He also said nobody can beat Purdue at their best. Yawn
ACC is a horrible league. They’ll get even worst next year with a bunch of AAC Pac dregs joining them. They should really only get 4 bids this year

Reaction Score
Gained 1st place votes but overall score went down. From 1542 to 1508.

Only because it seems like a couple people didn't vote at all this week (Chandler Mack and Tony Garcia have no week 12 ballots listed on poll tracker, but they did vote in week 11). Purdue went down too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom