Anyone on this board have any realistic good ideas? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone on this board have any realistic good ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Legally, but as quietly as possible, change the name of the school from the University of Connecticut to "The University of Texass," have some business cards made up to that effect with the second "s" in texass and the address in a really small font that you'd need a magnifying glass to read

If we need some business cards made, I know all about great styles, colors, and fonts.

patrick_bateman_business_cards-p240965897504955813z74gr_400.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Best idea I can think of is to have a couple of Manhattans with Makers Mark and pretend to enjoy all of this.

Reaction Score
Here is a plan no one has suggested but I could see working:

Legally, but as quietly as possible, change the name of the school from the University of Connecticut to "The University of Texass," have some business cards made up to that effect with the second "s" in texass and the address in a really small font that you'd need a magnifying glass to read, have Herbst dress up as William Powers and arrange to meet with the ACC down in Virgianialina somewhere where she tells them "Howdy, y'all, we're here from the University of Texass, and we'd just love to join your little old conference here if'n you'll have us," have her sign whatever contracts that they want, then have Herbst tear off the mask to reveal who she really is and high five Pendergast (who has just torn off his DeLoss Dodds mask) as they run out of the meeting and hightail it back to Storrs, stopping at the courthouse on the way to change the name of the school back to the University of Connecticut, arrange a press conference where some assistant to Herbst is answering questions about realignment in the most bland and hopeless way possible when, suddenly, the lights go out, Herbst is fired out of a cannon placed in the back of the room that none of the reporters had noticed, she lands on stage and says "Konichiwa, ! Your welcome" while a banner that reads "University of Connecticut to the ACC: Mission Accomplished" is unveiled behind her as Connecticut native John Mayer starts jamming Stevie Ray-style on the side of the stage while Pendergast body surfs through the crowd holding a flaming pimp cup full of grain alcohol.

No one on this board can honestly say that this plan isn't 100% foolproof.

I thought this was a fantastic plan right up until you mentioned John Mayer.

Reaction Score
We need to:

a) Pitch ourselves as best we can to the Big 10, ACC and Big 12 and hope one of them bites.

b) Encourage rapid expansion of the Big East football conference. This includes overtures to UMASS, Central Florida, East Carolina, Delaware.

People laugh at the idea of UMASS and Deleware but if BC and Maryland feel the potential for increased competition for recruits maybe that would tip the ACC scales in our favor. If the ACC feels the Big East has any chance for successfully reinventing itself they will come in for the final kill.

Reaction Score
I am prescribing Prozac for a number of people here. "You guys" all want immediate gratification and when you don't get it you resort to a whine fest that would make a three year old proud. The situation is still quite fluid and I would suspect that the president and others are working as hard as they can to get us where we want to be. I don't know everything that is going on and neither do you or any of the sports dudes with blogs. Sure there is a blip here and there but short of a reliable named source I don't believe most of it. Pres. said this may take some time. We may have to feign like of a weird conference for a while, maybe not. In the meantime I would suggest you think Gettysburg rather than Little Big Horn. If you can't do that fill your prescription or drink yourselves silly (i.e. Lost Weekend).:confused:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute: you can write prescriptions? I think I have a backup to my original plan (not that it really needs one). In your professional opinion, how many Ambien would a person need to take (volitionally, definitely not slipped into his coffee while he wasn't looking or something) before that person would become a sort of unconscious but suggestible zombie-type person, like the fat people on TV who sleepwalk to their refrigerator and chow down in the middle of the night for example, or maybe they might do something like sign legal documents or whatever, and then wake up and say "I feel bloated" or "I let who into the ACC last night?" or that kind of thing? I'm thinking like three pills, maybe four tops.

We may be back in business!

Reaction Score
I thought this was a fantastic plan right up until you mentioned John Mayer.
OK, what if instead of John Mayer, you have Bridgeport native Cliff Claven holding a boombox over his head and it's playing "Whoomp there it is" and then Herbst holds up bin Laden's head and bin Laden is wearing a Duke hat?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We need to:

a) Pitch ourselves as best we can to the Big 10, ACC and Big 12 and hope one of them bites.

b) Encourage rapid expansion of the Big East football conference. This includes overtures to UMASS, Central Florida, East Carolina, Delaware.

People laugh at the idea of UMASS and Deleware but if BC and Maryland feel the potential for increased competition for recruits maybe that would tip the ACC scales in our favor. If the ACC feels the Big East has any chance for successfully reinventing itself they will come in for the final kill.

Agree 100%.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I am prescribing Prozac for a number of people here. "You guys" all want immediate gratification and when you don't get it you resort to a whine fest that would make a three year old proud. The situation is still quite fluid and I would suspect that the president and others are working as hard as they can to get us where we want to be. I don't know everything that is going on and neither do you or any of the sports dudes with blogs. Sure there is a blip here and there but short of a reliable named source I don't believe most of it. Pres. said this may take some time. We may have to feign like of a weird conference for a while, maybe not. In the meantime I would suggest you think Gettysburg rather than Little Big Horn. If you can't do that fill your prescription or drink yourselves silly (i.e. Lost Weekend).:confused:
Nah! No one wants instant gratification. If this thing comes to a halt we will all be lost for words. This thing should go on forever. Look at all the interest. These events are time fillers. And production destroyers. ;)

Reaction Score
We made huge mistakes back in 2003 when we had a chance to add more football schools. Instead, we added 3 just to get back to 8 while adding 2 basketball schools. Anyone with a brain could tell getting to 8 was a blow up waiting to happen. BE lacked vision and leadership. BE could have added schools like UCF back then, but it did not. People might say those schools add nothing. I disagree with it back then and I disagree with it today. Those schools would have thrived with a BCS label. Both ECU and UCF could be BCS players today had they joined the BE back in 2003. Marinatto is always preaching value. Guess what? There is no value left when everyone is looking for the first lifeboat out of the BE. No one can be trusted at this point. This conference is on the edge of blowing up.

UCONN can only do what is within our control. The only control we have right now is make the home we are currently in as comfortable as possible. ACC might not come calling for a few years if that. ACC did not need to expand. ACC expanded to destroy the BE pure and simple. They did with ESPN's blessing to kill a competitor and destroy the conference. ACC and ESPN could careless what happens to rest of the BE schools that are left behind. That is the cruel reality we have to live with. BE needs to survive for us to have a viable home for now. I know we all want out, but this is not entirely within our control.

What I suggest is add as many schools as possible and get up to 12. I would start with Navy and Air Force. Here is what I suggest we should push for:

BE East:

UCONN
RU
WVU
USF
UCF
Navy/ECU/Army

BE West:

TCU
UL
Cincy
Air Force
Boise St
Houston

While this is not ideal, it will keep our BCS bid for a while. Who knows what will happen next few years, but this will keep us in the BCS discussion while we wait for a new home.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
We need to:

Actually that's the best reason I've ever heard to include UMass and Delaware in the Big East.... I'm actually kinda digging the idea.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We need to:

I could like this. But are these schools coming in as football only? Remember if the BB only schools split they hold the BE name and probably the BCS fate I believe.

Reaction Score
We need to:

I could live with this too. I thought we need to give UMASS a few years to grow, but time is now if they are willing to make that commitment. Delaware is always half way to FBS level with their facilities etc. They would be a good add. Either we go pure for football or we go regional and focus on the Northeast.

The problem with this group is the BCS bid. Can we keep it?

BE Northeast:

UCONN
RU
UMASS
Delaware/Temple
WVU
Navy

BE Midwest/South

TCU
UL
Cincy
USF
UCF
ECU/Houston

This wouldn't not be a horrible conference. I am sick of football onlies. Football onlies has BBALL schools' handwriting all over it. Even if BE is raided again, this group will have a nice setup to add more members. TCU/WVU/UL/UCONN/RU/USF will keep the BE BCS bid viable.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We need to:

If this happened and the BE retained its BCS status there is one team in the ACC that could be very concerned.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Big East is already past being able to be a thorn in the side of the ACC. It's possible that if Louisville and WVU are not poached, and if somebody (like UConn, Cincy or Rutgers) steps up their level of play, it can remain a BCS conference. The Bg 12 is not blowing up, and it's been the 2nd best football conference for some time. Staying is an option, just not a very appealing one.

Reaction Score
We need to:

What happens when the ACC sits back, looks at that league, realizes it has zero chance of keeping it's BCS status, laughs at us, and calls our bluff?

You think the acc is going to flinch because of another MAC/CUSA type conference?

Reaction Score
Let's use a corollary that some of us can understand.

Let's say it is a Friday night back when you were in college. You are going to meet the good looking girl from Psych at 11 at Huskies. How do you play it? Do you stand by yourself staring at the door so when she walks in you run up to her and go for the close right away? Of course not, she will think you are a total dork and go home with some 6'2 guy that claims to be a walk on for the basketball team.

The best play is to be casually chatting up some other girls so when she sees you she thinks she has a little competition and that you don't need her. The first girls have to be just good looking enough without major personality flaws to be a credible alternative (think New New Big East). Too hot, depending on the guy, and they are not believable (think Big 10). Then, you just pay some attention to her until she starts sending some signals that she is good to go. If she doesn't send the signals, you focus on the first girls as the night goes on until Psych girl gets the message that you are not desperate and the first girls think that you are really interested in them. Much higher percentage of going home with someone.

If you go all in on Psych girl, you are very likely to go home by yourself or find yourself at a Carriage House after-hours at 3 in the morning with 20 guys and no women (think Big East without WVU/Louisville). Believe me, I learned this the hard way in college. So do most guys.

You're not going to impress the Psych girl by chatting up the snaggle-toothed chick that everyone else had the opportunity to bang but passed on.

Reaction Score
Well, isn't it too late for that now? And who out there in their right minds thinks we have options? You're like, if no one says anything, maybe it isn't true? If no one tells me I don't have to lose weight, that means I'm thin?

I am calling into question the endless leaks and rubbing it in everyone's face that we are not moving forward with the league. Campaign as hard as she can for the ACC, but the best way to do that is to let them think we have options.

Reaction Score
What happens when the ACC sits back, looks at that league, realizes it has zero chance of keeping it's BCS status, laughs at us, and calls our bluff?

You think the acc is going to flinch because of another MAC/CUSA type conference?
Bump....

Nothing?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, isn't it too late for that now? And who out there in their right minds thinks we have options? You're like, if no one says anything, maybe it isn't true? If no one tells me I don't have to lose weight, that means I'm thin?

We have options. We have a conference with 7 football playing members that is pretty good and a great basketball league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom