Anyone on this board have any realistic good ideas? | The Boneyard

Anyone on this board have any realistic good ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It seems like 90% of the board would rather wallow in misery than talk about ways to fix things.

Is this going to be a "Big East sucks and UConn is screwed" board from now on?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It seems like 90% of the board would rather wallow in misery than talk about ways to fix things.

Is this going to be a "Big East sucks and UConn is screwed" board from now on?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your realistic good idea is to stay put in a league that has had most of it's prime football talent poached from it the past 8 years, yes?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your realistic good idea is to stay put in a league that has had most of it's prime football talent poached from it the past 8 years, yes?

My realistic idea is to keep options open. right now, the likely outcomes as I see them are:

A) 60% - rebuild the Big East or merge it into the Big 12. Same strategy either way.
B) 10% - go to the ACC
C) 30% - we are totally screwed because WVU/Louisville leave

The SMART play is to build a plan around A, hope for B, and prevent C at all costs. Everyone else on this board, and apparently our President, is building around B and taking A off the table, making C about 90% likely.

Per reports, 5 teams walked out of that meeting on Tuesday committed to the league. UConn was not one of them, and now it appears that those 5 have other options and we don't.

Reaction Score
My realistic idea is to keep options open. right now, the likely outcomes as I see them are:

A) 60% - rebuild the Big East or merge it into the Big 12. Same strategy either way.
B) 10% - go to the ACC

The SMART play is to build a plan around A, hope for B, and prevent C at all costs. Everyone else on this board, and apparently our President, is building around B and taking A off the table, making C about 90% likely.

Per reports, 5 teams walked out of that meeting on Tuesday committed to the league. UConn was not one of them, and now it appears that those 5 have other options and we don't.

As long as we're talking realistically.....

A) 60% - rebuild the Big East or merge it into the Big 12. Same strategy either way. The Big 12 is not blowing up. In fact, they may take 2 or 3 Big East teams. See option C below.
B) 10% - go to the ACC

Let's be honest, I don't see the B1G coming to us for an invite.

I see 2 options for UConn going forward.

1) Staying in the Big East with watered down football (Army, Navy, ECU, whoever) product that likely loses it's BCS bid.

2) Going to the ACC.

Not only do I think going to the ACC is our best option realistically, it may be our only option that isn't an utter and complete disaster.

Reaction Score
dude, like us having good ideas matters anyway. "Hey Herbst wait till you hear this awsome plan I read on the boneyard from Waylon"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
dude, like us having good ideas matters anyway. "Hey Herbst wait till you hear this awsome plan I read on the boneyard from Waylon"

I am trying to change the tone of this board, because it is becoming tough to read right now. Even the BCU fans in 2003 were not as rough on UConn and the conference as our own fans are now.

Reaction Score
I've posted my ideas several times, they involved us going after Big 12 teams while they were still worried about UT leaving, as well as the conference circling the wagons and waiting for the big 12 to unfold while looking to choose the best possible replacements. All the while UConn should be working to both strengthen the big east, and get admission into the acc or big 10.

But it doesn't matter anyway because waylon is going to tell you what your ideas are so that he can point out why they are wrong.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

B) 10% - go to the ACC

I like this post! I really think we agree more than disagree.

Completely agree that it's important to keep options open... and I don't think anyone is suggesting that A is completely off the table.

I don't think A or B are mutually exclusive... you can plug away on both options simultaneously. Where I disagree is that I feel getting out should be our top priority, but if that doesn't come to fruition, we do have to have a Plan B (er... which to me is your Plan A).

Reaction Score
I am trying to change the tone of this board, because it is becoming tough to read right now. Even the BCU fans in 2003 were not as rough on UConn and the conference as our own fans are now.
By calling into question everything the president does?

Reaction Score
Great American Conference
West
Texas
OU
Okla St.
TTU
Kansas
Kansas St.
Iowa State
Baylor

East
UConn
RU
USF
Cincy
WVU
L'ville
TCU
??

Only the ACC would trump our otherwise uneviable position of keeping the Big East with weaker additions.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
By calling into question everything the president does?

I am calling into question the endless leaks and rubbing it in everyone's face that we are not moving forward with the league. Campaign as hard as she can for the ACC, but the best way to do that is to let them think we have options.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize this board was tasked with coming up with good ideas.

I didn't realize this boards' ideas even mattered.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am calling into question the endless leaks and rubbing it in everyone's face that we are not moving forward with the league. Campaign as hard as she can for the ACC, but the best way to do that is to let them think we have options.
Can you show me where anyone from UConn stated they have no intention of staying in the BE if they aren't accepted into the ACC or B!G. All UConn has done is refused to agree to a commitment to stay with the league. All that says is the university is reviewing all its options.

And where can you find anyone with half a brain who believes that the commitment the other football schools made is worth more than the stain on your toilet paper. The only difference between Herbst and other Presidents is that she isn't playing the ridiculous two faced games that each and every one of us despise in our political leaders.

If UConn doesn't get into the ACC this round they will work aggressively to find other options. And if the only option is the remnants of the BE they will be active in keeping it going. I would be more upset with UConn if they trying to obstruct the process of salvaging the BE with the hope any self destruct of the conference propels their chances into the ACC.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Every football team in the Big East is in a horrible spot right now. None of them are actually committed to the conference, nor should they be. I don't care if Rutgers claims to be committed to the Big East, if they get an ACC or B1G offer they are gone. Same can be said of us, Ville, WVU, etc. Just because UConn has been the only one to come out and say so does not make it any less true.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Every football team in the Big East is in a horrible spot right now. None of them are actually committed to the conference, nor should they be. I don't care if Rutgers claims to be committed to the Big East, if they get an ACC or B1G offer they are gone. Same can be said of us, Ville, WVU, etc. Just because UConn has been the only one to come out and say so does not make it any less true.
The AP reported Rutgers took the same path as UConn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let's use a corollary that some of us can understand.

Let's say it is a Friday night back when you were in college. You are going to meet the good looking girl from Psych at 11 at Huskies. How do you play it? Do you stand by yourself staring at the door so when she walks in you run up to her and go for the close right away? Of course not, she will think you are a total dork and go home with some 6'2 guy that claims to be a walk on for the basketball team.

The best play is to be casually chatting up some other girls so when she sees you she thinks she has a little competition and that you don't need her. The first girls have to be just good looking enough without major personality flaws to be a credible alternative (think New New Big East). Too hot, depending on the guy, and they are not believable (think Big 10). Then, you just pay some attention to her until she starts sending some signals that she is good to go. If she doesn't send the signals, you focus on the first girls as the night goes on until Psych girl gets the message that you are not desperate and the first girls think that you are really interested in them. Much higher percentage of going home with someone.

If you go all in on Psych girl, you are very likely to go home by yourself or find yourself at a Carriage House after-hours at 3 in the morning with 20 guys and no women (think Big East without WVU/Louisville). Believe me, I learned this the hard way in college. So do most guys.

Reaction Score

Let's say it is a Friday night back when you were in college. You are going to meet the good looking girl from Psych at 11 at Huskies. How do you play it? Do you stand by yourself staring at the door so when she walks in you run up to her and go for the close right away? Of course not, she will think you are a total dork and go home with some 6'2 guy that claims to be a walk on for the basketball team.

The best play is to be casually chatting up some other girls so when she sees you she thinks she has a little competition and that you don't need her. The first girls have to be just good looking enough without major personality flaws to be a credible alternative (think New New Big East). Too hot, depending on the guy, and they are not believable (think Big 10). Then, you just pay some attention to her until she starts sending some signals that she is good to go. If she doesn't send the signals, you focus on the first girls as the night goes on until Psych girl gets the message that you are not desperate and the first girls think that you are really interested in them. Much higher percentage of going home with someone.

If you go all in on Psych girl, you are very likely to go home by yourself or find yourself at a Carriage House after-hours at 3 in the morning with 20 guys and no women (think Big East without WVU/Louisville). Believe me, I learned this the hard way in college. So do most guys.
Nobody is going home by themselves. The options are simple:
1. Go to the ACC if they'll have us
or
2) stay in a revamped BE and add some football schools nobody cares about. We aren't getting kansas.
I see you point about trying to appear desirable with options but Herbst isn't fooling anyone. Besides Swofford, she has probably called every ACC president looking for support.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nobody is going home by themselves. The options are simple:
1. Go to the ACC if they'll have us
or
2) stay in a revamped BE and add some football schools nobody cares about. We aren't getting kansas.
I see you point about trying to appear desirable with options but Herbst isn't fooling anyone. Besides Swofford, she has probably called every ACC president looking for support.

It is not just appearing desirable, it is appearing relevant. If the Big East dies, there is absolutely no reason for the ACC to add UConn. They already have our market, and we won't exist. They need to think that we will be a thorn in their side for them to move.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I'd say if you can't get the girl without manufacturing some scenario maybe you should go home alone.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So, if I'm following...

-We can treat the current Big East like crap, and they will still want us (chicks LOVE that!)
-We need to get the ACC drunk.

:D

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So, if I'm following...

-We can treat the current Big East like crap, and they will still want us (chicks LOVE that!)
-We need to get the ACC drunk.

:D

Those are good choices in my example, so I will admit that it is not a perfect corollary.

Reaction Score
Here is a plan no one has suggested but I could see working:

Legally, but as quietly as possible, change the name of the school from the University of Connecticut to "The University of Texass," have some business cards made up to that effect with the second "s" in texass and the address in a really small font that you'd need a magnifying glass to read, have Herbst dress up as William Powers and arrange to meet with the ACC down in Virgianialina somewhere where she tells them "Howdy, y'all, we're here from the University of Texass, and we'd just love to join your little old conference here if'n you'll have us," have her sign whatever contracts that they want, then have Herbst tear off the mask to reveal who she really is and high five Pendergast (who has just torn off his DeLoss Dodds mask) as they run out of the meeting and hightail it back to Storrs, stopping at the courthouse on the way to change the name of the school back to the University of Connecticut, arrange a press conference where some assistant to Herbst is answering questions about realignment in the most bland and hopeless way possible when, suddenly, the lights go out, Herbst is fired out of a cannon placed in the back of the room that none of the reporters had noticed, she lands on stage and says "Konichiwa, ! Your welcome" while a banner that reads "University of Connecticut to the ACC: Mission Accomplished" is unveiled behind her as Connecticut native John Mayer starts jamming Stevie Ray-style on the side of the stage while Pendergast body surfs through the crowd holding a flaming pimp cup full of grain alcohol.

No one on this board can honestly say that this plan isn't 100% foolproof.

Reaction Score
I am prescribing Prozac for a number of people here. "You guys" all want immediate gratification and when you don't get it you resort to a whine fest that would make a three year old proud. The situation is still quite fluid and I would suspect that the president and others are working as hard as they can to get us where we want to be. I don't know everything that is going on and neither do you or any of the sports dudes with blogs. Sure there is a blip here and there but short of a reliable named source I don't believe most of it. Pres. said this may take some time. We may have to feign like of a weird conference for a while, maybe not. In the meantime I would suggest you think Gettysburg rather than Little Big Horn. If you can't do that fill your prescription or drink yourselves silly (i.e. Lost Weekend).:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom