Any Truth to Pinstripe Bowl Talk on BY? | The Boneyard

Any Truth to Pinstripe Bowl Talk on BY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Been on vacation in Atlanta all weekend for my brother's wedding and haven't been able to keep up on UConn football news, but i saw a couple of posts here alluding to the possibility of taking a Big 10/ACC spot in the Pinstripe Bowl?? Has any news outlet suggested this or is it rose colored glasses BY banter? I'd love for that to happen. A bowl game I could actually go to!!

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Zero.
Zilch.
Nada.

The B1G will not have it's full compliment of 6 win schools so the PS Bowl could fill with a regional school like UConn but many things still need to happen this weekend. UConn cannot, must not lay an absolute egg on Sat for starters. If they do, it's off to the Cure Bowl on the 19th in Orlando vs Middle Tennesse.

Reaction Score
Been on vacation in Atlanta all weekend for my brother's wedding and haven't been able to keep up on UConn football news, but i saw a couple of posts here alluding to the possibility of taking a Big 10/ACC spot in the Pinstripe Bowl?? Has any news outlet suggested this or is it rose colored glasses BY banter? I'd love for that to happen. A bowl game I could actually go to!!

So here's my attempt to add some color to this. The Pinstripe bowl's affiliates are the B1G and the ACC. Based on W/L records, it is likely that either the B1G or ACC won't have enough bowl eligible teams to fill all of their bowl commitments. On the other hand, it looks like the AAC have enough bowl eligible teams to satisfy the conference's bowl commitments. When a conference has "extra" bowl eligible schools, they are essentially able to shop those schools around to other bowl games that may not have enough bowl eligible teams from their affiliated conferences. From the Pinstripe bowl's perspective, if they aren't able to get a rep from the ACC or B1G (due to lack of enough bowl eligible teams) it would work in their favor to slot UConn into the game because of the proximity to the game, # of alumni in proximity to NYC and past history of traveling well to Yankee Stadium to sell the maximum number of tickets.

Since there is still one more week left of games, there are still a ton of moving parts, especially if a B1G makes it into the CFP, which would effectively lower the # of bowl eligible teams available to satisfy the B1G's bowl games

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
So here's my attempt to add some color to this. The Pinstripe bowl's affiliates are the B1G and the ACC. Based on W/L records, it is likely that either the B1G or ACC won't have enough bowl eligible teams to fill all of their bowl commitments. On the other hand, it looks like the AAC have enough bowl eligible teams to satisfy the conference's bowl commitments. When a conference has "extra" bowl eligible schools, they are essentially able to shop those schools around to other bowl games that may not have enough bowl eligible teams from their affiliated conferences. From the Pinstripe bowl's perspective, if they aren't able to get a rep from the ACC or B1G (due to lack of enough bowl eligible teams) it would work in their favor to slot UConn into the game because of the proximity to the game, # of alumni in proximity to NYC and past history of traveling well to Yankee Stadium to sell the maximum number of tickets.

Since there is still one more week left of games, there are still a ton of moving parts, especially if a B1G makes it into the CFP, which would effectively lower the # of bowl eligible teams available to satisfy the B1G's bowl games
ALL of this makes sense. Sadly.
Need to root for as many AAC schools getting to 6 as possible this weekend.
Let's Go ECU & Tulsa !!!

Reaction Score
ALL of this makes sense. Sadly.
Need to root for as many AAC schools getting to 6 as possible this weekend.
Let's Go ECU & Tulsa !!!

So we have more than a zero percent chance, but still low odds, correct?

Reaction Score
So we have more than a zero percent chance, but still low odds, correct?

Tulsa should win their game at Tulane, and if Cincy plays ECU like they did last weekend at USF, I could see ECU coming away with that win.

ACC and B1G on cusp of becoming bowl eligible (All 5-7): Virginia Tech (@Virginia), Indiana (@Purdue), Nebraska (Iowa), Minnesota (Wisc) and Illinois (Northwestern).

Best case scenario: Tulsa and ECU win, putting the AAC at 10 bowl eligible teams for 7 AAC bowls. The AAC champion will most likely get the NY6 game, leaving 9 teams for 7 home games (two teams are "bowl free agents") AND a majority of the B1G 5-7 teams lose (Nebraska, Minnesota and Illinois are all underdogs).

Worst case scenario: Tulsa and ECU lose, putting the AAC at 8 bowl eligible teams. AAC champion get the NY6 game, leaving 7 AAC teams for 7 AAC bowl games (eliminating the possibility of going to the Pinstripe Bowl).

Reaction Score
Tulsa should win their game at Tulane, and if Cincy plays ECU like they did last weekend at USF, I could see ECU coming away with that win.

ACC and B1G on cusp of becoming bowl eligible (All 5-7): Virginia Tech (@Virginia), Indiana (@Purdue), Nebraska (Iowa), Minnesota (Wisc) and Illinois (Northwestern).

Best case scenario: Tulsa and ECU win, putting the AAC at 10 bowl eligible teams for 7 AAC bowls. The AAC champion will most likely get the NY6 game, leaving 9 teams for 7 home games (two teams are "bowl free agents") AND a majority of the B1G 5-7 teams lose (Nebraska, Minnesota and Illinois are all underdogs).

Worst case scenario: Tulsa and ECU lose, putting the AAC at 8 bowl eligible teams. AAC champion get the NY6 game, leaving 7 AAC teams for 7 AAC bowl games (eliminating the possibility of going to the Pinstripe Bowl).

**Correction: AAC has 6 bowl tie-in's for the 2015 season, and 7 bowl tie-in's for the 2016 season. Therefore, we would only need one of Tulsa or ECU to win their respective games for the best case scenario to hold true.

And yes, I am extremely bored at work today.

Reaction Score
HCBD told the players that he prefers someplace with a sunny warm beach for the bowl game. Not that it matters, but given the opportunity if it presents itself, I think that Warde chooses Miami or Orlando.

Reaction Score
HCBD told the players that he prefers someplace with a sunny warm beach for the bowl game. Not that it matters, but given the opportunity if it presents itself, I think that Warde chooses Miami or Orlando.

While those locations are much more appealing than NYC in December, I think that if the Pinstripe Bowl is available, Warde would take that 10 times out of 10. Based on proximity to Connecticut, importance of NYC for conference realignment sake and the opportunity to play an ACC/B1G versus a rep from C-USA in Miami or Orlando?

Reaction Score
Does it make a difference if more non- P5 teams are eligible or not? It would seem that if more P5's are eligible and less non-P5's go over 500 then "in general" our chances of playing a P5 team increase. Is that just too simplistic given our specific affiliations or do the odds go up if AAC has 9 eligible and more P5 teams get in this weekend.

Here's the link to CBS Bowl Eligibility Tracker:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...5353577/bowling-2015-bowl-eligibility-tracker

One win away (14) -- Teams listed in APR order

Nebraska -- Week 13: Iowa

Indiana -- Week 13: at Purdue

Virginia Tech -- Week 13: at Virginia

Washington -- Week 13: Washington State

Missouri -- Week 13: at Arkansas

San Jose State -- Week 13: Boise State

Minnesota -- Week 13: Wisconsin

Illinois -- Week 13: Northwestern
a

Old Dominion -- Week 13: Florida Atlantic

East Carolina -- Week 13: Cincinnati

Buffalo -- Week 13: Massachusetts

Kentucky -- Week 13: Louisville

South Alabama -- Week 13: at Georgia Southern
Remaining schedule: Appalachian State

Tulsa -- Week 13: at Tulane

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pinstripe pays two million Most of the AAC bowls don't come near that. If he gets the chance to pinstripe you take it, however it's very unlikely

Can they take a five win big ten team before they reach to other conferences , what is the rule?

Reaction Score
Pinstripe pays two million Most of the AAC bowls don't come near that. If he gets the chance to pinstripe you take it, however it's very unlikely

Can they take a five win big ten team before they reach to other conferences , what is the rule?

There is no rule. That should be a joke but it's not. The NCAA apparently didn't have rules for this, and is going to wait to see if this weekend solved the problem -- or if not, how many 5-7 teams will need to be let in -- before announcing what it's policy is.

Nothing fairer than setting your rules after you know who would benefit or lose by a certain interpretation.

Reaction Score
**Correction: AAC has 6 bowl tie-in's for the 2015 season, and 7 bowl tie-in's for the 2016 season. Therefore, we would only need one of Tulsa or ECU to win their respective games for the best case scenario to hold true.

And yes, I am extremely bored at work today.

We have 7 tie-ins:

Birmingham
Military
St. Petersburg
Hawaii
Boca Raton
Miami Beach
Cure

Plus we will most likely have the highest ranked G5 champ for a NY6 bowl.

Reaction Score
I would prefer Miami or Orlando. I can get in my car or on a train and go to NYC any day of the week. Besides I prefer it be in a football stadium. I didn't like my seats at the Army game there and the tailgating scene just wasn't the same.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would prefer Miami or Orlando. I can get in my car or on a train and go to NYC any day of the week. Besides I prefer it be in a football stadium. I didn't like my seats at the Army game there and the tailgating scene just wasn't the same.

Miami is in a baseball stadium too, FYI. The game is in the Marlins park. So is St Pete (Tampa Rays) for that matter.

If your preference is a "football stadium", then your choices, based on AAC tie-ins, are:

Birmingham
Military
Hawaii
Boca Raton
Cure

Reaction Score
Miami is in a baseball stadium too, FYI. The game is in the Marlins park. So is St Pete (Tampa Rays) for that matter.

If your preference is a "football stadium", then your choices, based on AAC tie-ins, are:

Birmingham
Military
Hawaii
Boca Raton
Cure
Birmingham was cold the year we played USC East....Military Bowl would be best case scenario travel wise...Hawaii the worst. Boca..that would be nice.

Reaction Score

Birmingham
Military
Hawaii
Boca Raton
Cure
Thanks. I didn't know that. I don't follow baseball and did not even know Miami had a baseball team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, it is true that there has been Pinstripe Bowl talk on the Boneyard.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Thanks. I didn't know that. I don't follow baseball and did not even know Miami had a baseball team.

No worries. And don't feel bad, there are millions of people in Miami that don't know they have a baseball team too. :)

the-miami-marlins-attendance-problem-is-even-worse-than-they-are-willing-to-admit.jpg

Reaction Score
UConn cannot, must not lay an absolute egg on Sat for starters. If they do, it's off to the Cure Bowl on the 19th in Orlando vs Middle Tennesse.

Won't be MTSU:

Per McMurphy - Middle Tennessee will play in Bahamas Bowl sources told @espn. Middle Tennessee will play a team from MAC, still TBA, on Dec. 24"

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pinstripe is a longshot. It is fairly high up in the pecking order for both conferences. The payout is also fairly large. Neither will give that up along with the NYC exposure.

The Big Ten will dump Detroit before NY and the ACC will dump whatever bowl their teams hate getting.

I also think the AAC will select teams based who gives the conference the best shot at winning. They won't put us up against a P5 team if they can help it. Bowl records are important to the league office as they should be if they aspire to P6 status.

Reaction Score
My numbers are off for sure but it's clear 14 teams are playing for 9 spots and a .500 record. Only maybe 6 of those teams can be consider even or favorites meaning likely 3 or 4 below .500 teams will be in.

Here's my totally inaccurate rough summary of eligibility by conference.

Likely to fill or exceed Bowl Affiliation allotment:

AAC - Probably 8 Bowls and Likely 8 teams possibly 9 eligible.
MAC- 5 Bowls already 7 possibly 8 eligible.
MWC - 6 Bowls 7 eligible likely to stay at 7.
PAC 12 - 7 Bowls 9 already eligible 10 unlikely but possible.

Likely to fill:

SEC - 10 of 10 with 2 underdogs playing for eligibility.

Possibly or definitely coming up short:

ACC
- 9 or 10 Bowls. 2 Secondaries with 8 eligible and VT playing UVA. With Clemson in CFP likely 1 or 2 short.
Big 12 - 7 or 8 Bowls. 6 filled period. 1 maybe 2 go unfilled.
B1G - Prob 10 Bowls (11?) with 7 eligible 4 teams looking. At least 2 unfilled.
CUSA - 7 Bowls 1 Secondary 5 eligible. Likely 1 or 2 unfilled ODU v FAU.
Sun Belt - 4 Bowls 3 eligible with 1 looking. Likely 1 unfilled.

You can't attribute a finite number of Bowls for conferences that might place 2 or more teams in the New Year's 6 Bowls. Some may get 3, some just 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom