Any chance we can install a passing game before next Saturday? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Any chance we can install a passing game before next Saturday?

Reaction Score
Liberty is not that good.
Don’t believe it. Liberty is 7-1. Their only loss was at Wake Forest on the road, 37-36. Last week at home vs BYU their running back Hunter had 213 yards on 23 carries with a touchdown. QB Jonathan Bennett went 24-of-29 for 247 yards and two TD’s.
Hugh Freeze has them believing. Here‘s what might help us. They play Arkansas today (I’ll be watching 4pm Eastern on ESPN+) and Virginia Tech the week after us. We’re in a perfect “let down” spot for them—on the road sandwiched between 2 power fives. Also, let’s hope rumors about Freeze to Auburn build during the week. A cold day wouldn’t hurt either.
As for our passing game—I’m for throwing it more to Joly. He was a great high school rebounder with huge hops-and great hands. Let those skills be showcased on the football field. Throw some 50/50 balls and let him go get ’em.
Since we need one more win—and Army’s triple option is a pain for us—in many ways Liberty is our “Bowl Game”. Let the dogs run wild. Let Zion loose.

Reaction Score
Turner had a few throws that were just missed, especially in the first half. The pass in the corner of the end zone to Joly was uncatchable so he didn't get an interference call there.. Clercius wide open on the post in the middle of the end zone was a miss. Turner was open running a crossing route in the end zone that was air mailed (it was a tight window, so maybe he threw that away rather than trying to fit it in). It's a win.. but they need to establish more of a threat to be in the game with Liberty

Reaction Score
I though his passing was off last night. The plays Scot mentioned and a few others where hr had guys and didn’t put the ball near them. Then you look at UMass who had a nothingburger at qb who threw for 200 yards. Seems to me we can do better than 60.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised we don’t see more quick hitters out to the flats, quick slants, and screen passes to get ZT in a rhythm. The first couple of opening sets that UMass ran is something I’d like us to incorporate more of.

Reaction Score
The answer is no, we’re not going to have a passing game installed by the end of this season. Unless Ross and Marrion are back at 100%, there is no reason to think that we are going to change who we are.

Who we are is a team that has won 4 of 5 against below average competition. There is every reason to believe that we have a real shot at getting to 6 by defending, running the ball and winning the turnover battle. If that isn’t good enough for you, I would suggest that rather than make yourself miserable you find something else to do with your next two Saturdays.

I’ll be emotionally involved in trying to will the players, who seem happy enough to be winning the way they are, to finish strong. And then we’ll have 9 months to discuss whether installing a passing offense is a matter of recruiting over some players we have at the skill positions, coaching differently or a combination of the two.

Reaction Score
Don’t believe it. Liberty is 7-1. Their only loss was at Wake Forest on the road, 37-36. Last week at home vs BYU their running back Hunter had 213 yards on 23 carries with a touchdown. QB Jonathan Bennett went 24-of-29 for 247 yards and two TD’s.
Hugh Freeze has them believing. Here‘s what might help us. They play Arkansas today (I’ll be watching 4pm Eastern on ESPN+) and Virginia Tech the week after us. We’re in a perfect “let down” spot for them—on the road sandwiched between 2 power fives. Also, let’s hope rumors about Freeze to Auburn build during the week. A cold day wouldn’t hurt either.
As for our passing game—I’m for throwing it more to Joly. He was a great high school rebounder with huge hops-and great hands. Let those skills be showcased on the football field. Throw some 50/50 balls and let him go get ’em.
Since we need one more win—and Army’s triple option is a pain for us—in many ways Liberty is our “Bowl Game”. Let the dogs run wild. Let Zion loose.
Great points except the cold day. Our QB is from Florida and the weather has been unseasonably warm. Certainly help our defense but not sure cold will help as he has struggled passing even in warm weather so far.

Reaction Score
Pansy az complaining. 5-5. Nobody predicted this. Good on Mora and team.
Most exciting part of this coaching staff and team is that they’ve left so much still to be desired and so much room for improvement and somehow still sit here with 5 Wins.

Truly found a formula that they believe (and has proven) keeps them in games and gives them a chance to win but doesn’t throw young kids into the meat grinder.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
With 2 games it is borderline nuts to expect significant changes. Personally i think certain patterns are hard for him and even harder without certain receivers available. He is very good at dropped passes behind the D on deep sideline patterns. On top of that he can make quick passes to the flat pretty well but we rarely seem to get more than a few yards out of those plays. Whether Flynn can be more useful is a good question, but whether he or someone else can do it, shorter patterns over the middle are in Turner’s comfort zone. Nothing wrong with 6-8 yards at a clip and maybe more use of RBs as receivers.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I’m surprised we don’t see more quick hitters out to the flats, quick slants, and screen passes to get ZT in a rhythm. The first couple of opening sets that UMass ran is something I’d like us to incorporate more of.
I can see utilizing screen passes more than we gave recently. We did that earlier in the season (with mixed results), not sure why we went away from it.

My biggest concern is how often we sub three or four players in on a play, leaving us under 10 seconds to get into formation, run whatever shifts we run and get the snap off. We did that at least six or seven times last night and accomplished nothing on any of those plays.

One additional comment on last night. Not sure why (may have been due to Brown's defensive philosophy) but we ran a large number of plays with six offensive linemen (Fortin in as a TE).
As far as slants, quick hits to the flats, I imagine ZT's height is a contributing factor. There wouldn't be time for him to move to have a passing lane so passes could easily be batted/deflected.

Reaction Score
Loved the win. No TOs from Zion was good. But 60 yards passing versus UMess is really bad. We are going to need something next week.
Acceptable this year., which was to get back to being relevant.
Next year not acceptable if Mora and the team plan to take the next step to being good. Can’t win against top 50 teams with this years QB play.

Reaction Score
I can see utilizing screen passes more than we gave recently. We did that earlier in the season (with mixed results), not sure why we went away from it.

My biggest concern is how often we sub three or four players in on a play, leaving us under 10 seconds to get into formation, run whatever shifts we run and get the snap off. We did that at least six or seven times last night and accomplished nothing on any of those plays.

One additional comment on last night. Not sure why (may have been due to Brown's defensive philosophy) but we ran a large number of plays with six offensive linemen (Fortin in as a TE).
As far as slants, quick hits to the flats, I imagine ZT's height is a contributing factor. There wouldn't be time for him to move to have a passing lane so passes could easily be batted/deflected.
We’ve played Fortin at TE at times all season. Given how few plays have been made by our TEs as a group, I can fully understand why at times we stop pretending and just put a 6th OL in anyway.

Our staff putting 15 pounds of muscle on Jolley in the offseason so he can be a TE rather than a slot receiver should present us with a lot of new options next year.

Reaction Score
Very tempting to think that if we get to 6 or 7 wins we may have time to install an scheme with Ross and Marion that a bowl opponent hasn’t seen.

Look, I admire ZT’s attitude and toughness and leadership. His skill set, as a true frosh, is not what you’d like to have. But the conservativeness is based in part that our WRs don’t get the separation you want and don’t make a high enough percentage of tough catches in traffic. I doubt they change the offense if Ross and Marrion are at 100% for a bowl, but you may see them air it out more with the plays they already have.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That fumble played a massive role in the outcome of that game but I still believe losing Swenson (concussion) was what cost us the game. Without him they were able to run the ball successfully and eventually wear us out.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yeah, you'd mostly want better execution of the same stuff ...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
UCONN Basketball made its mark by playing fierce defense. Then the exceptional talent started coming to Storrs. If you build it they will come. :cool:
Defense is mostly effort... Offense takes a little more time.

Reaction Score
When or If everyone is healthy, I believe the QB slot will be open to competion and if anyone can show clear separation they will play. Otherwise It’s ZT‘s job to Lose. Until then, we have our QB and the most important aspect for the staff is game management and a focus on Do no harm. Let’s get to 6 next week, so we can dream about 7!!!

Reaction Score
My mind is changing on Turner - he is doing what he can to help us win. Yes it’s mostly handing off the ball but the one thing he does exceptionally well is not turn ball over I say he’s our guy this year but come off season, the job opens back up. Turner has not
Locked down this starting role - that I’m sure of.

Reaction Score
We need a vintage Rentschler field wind storm next week so Liberty can't pass the ball. We have a chance if it's a rock fight. Pray Houston can play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The answer is no, we’re not going to have a passing game installed by the end of this season. Unless Ross and Marrion are back at 100%, there is no reason to think that we are going to change who we are.

Who we are is a team that has won 4 of 5 against below average competition. There is every reason to believe that we have a real shot at getting to 6 by defending, running the ball and winning the turnover battle. If that isn’t good enough for you, I would suggest that rather than make yourself miserable you find something else to do with your next two Saturdays.

I’ll be emotionally involved in trying to will the players, who seem happy enough to be winning the way they are, to finish strong. And then we’ll have 9 months to discuss whether installing a passing offense is a matter of recruiting over some players we have at the skill positions, coaching differently or a combination of the two.
Does it strike anybody else that Mora is running Randy Edsall’s dream team right now. Pound the ball, play tough defense and try to shorten the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom