Anthony: Adama Sanogo unsure if he will return to the UConn men's basketball team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anthony: Adama Sanogo unsure if he will return to the UConn men's basketball team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With his work ethic NBA teams will regret not taking a 2nd round flyer on him.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's no downside to him coming back. I think the NIL situation with change for foreign kids and I do not buy that his stock has peaked. He's vastly better than he was last year.

Reaction Score
Even if he doesn't make it in the NBA, he can make decent money in the euro league. Shabazz had similar questions regarding athleticism/role and is now killing it in Italy.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
If I’m Adama , why not come back and agree to play the four?
Shades of Kevin Freeman coming back off a title to play the three. Went swimmingly.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Adama needs to do what's best for him, and sharing the court with Clingan (who is going to play more minutes next year no matter what) is not what's best for him. I would not begrudge him at all if he isn't playing here next year, especially not after what he just did for us.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s that complicated. Start him at the 4, find him 10 minutes per game there, 15 at center. That’s 25 minutes for Don and Sanogo, adjust as needed depending on the game. We made the Whaley/Sanogo lineup work, there shouldn’t be any excuses.
we'd have 3 or 4 non-shooters in that starting lineup any way you slice it. that would be a much worse shooting team than last year. ideally you only have 2 non-shooters in the lineup like this year.

Reaction Score
We've gotta stop with this myth. Foreign players can make money, it's just different. Tshiebwe made 3 million this year and isn't a US citizen. It's just a matter of setting up the deals in the home country, or in a country that doesn't have strict income rules for foreigners.

I'm guessing the Bahamas is one of those because it seems like all the foreign players are heading down there in their free time, including Sanogo.

It’s not a myth at all. It’s his visa type (foreign student at US). I’m not an expert but it usually means that He cannot have any earned income outside the campus. As far as what Kentucky did, it’s no surprise there, isn’t it? They have been above the law for decades with impunity.

Reaction Score
Adama needs to do what's best for him, and sharing the court with Clingan (who is going to play more minutes next year no matter what) is not what's best for him. I would not begrudge him at all if he isn't playing here next year, especially not after what he just did for us.
That's exactly where I stand. I want what's best for Adama and his family. If Adama and Clingan are both 100% on board with a 20 minute split and want to run it back to go for the repeat while it makes sense for Adama financially then that would obviously be awesome. Adama needs to do what's best for Adama, he already won us a national championship and will end up on the wall.

Reaction Score
It’s not a myth at all. It’s his visa type (foreign student at US). I’m not an expert but it usually means that He cannot have any earned income outside the campus. As far as what Kentucky did, it’s no surprise there, isn’t it? They have been above the law for decades with impunity.
changing visa type is not above the law

"tshiebwe found yet another clever workaround to his own limitations. He has applied to have his visa switched from student status to the type granted to international celebrities, which would eliminate all his current NIL restrictions." if oscar could do it so can adama.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Out of everything Adama has done in the tourney, the catch, dribble and drive layup from the right wing against Miami was the most critical skill shown which translates to the NBA.
I think he can do it. He is going to have to lose about 20-25 lbs kind of remake his body. I for one can see him playing at the next level if he can be half a step quicker laterally and develops a real jump shot. With his work ethic he can make that happen. Question is where can he make that transformation best. Or he could just go play overseas and make what he can. But China and Russia no longer being options I think the choices are more limited. Just guessing on that last part.

Reaction Score
Regarding NIL, they can’t actively do work to receive money (ex: commercials, appearances, etc) but Jersey & Merchandise sales are considered passive income & they can receive that.

So buy your Adama gear today

Reaction Score

It is a myth. It will continue to be a myth.

Sanogo can (and is) earning NIL money. He just can't earn the money in the USA. Outside of this country, his student vidw is not relevant. He follows local laws. It's why he was in the Bahamas a few months ago. There wouldn't be a remote possibility of him returning to school if he couldn't earn NIL money.

Dozens, probably hundreds of foreign players are earning NIL money at this very moment.

Doubling down here is a foolish look. Take the L, my man.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The Whaley/sanogo line up worked? They lost in the first round with that. The days of UConn playing a line up with a lack of shooters is over. They should never go back to that. The mold of the forward starting next to the big needs to be a Karaban type of player. One that can shoot, pass, put the ball on the floor, space the floor etc.
That’s not why they lost. Clingan/Sanogo is multiple tiers better than Whaley/Sanogo anyways.

Reaction Score
That’s not why they lost. Clingan/Sanogo is multiple tiers better than Whaley/Sanogo anyways.
Them playing those guys together was a major reason why they lost, if the game wasn’t a rock fight, they tended to lose. They don’t need to be playing sanogo/Clingan for long stretches at a time.

Reaction Score
Yeah, rumor has it FedEx has offered him a lucrative job for when he leaves UConn.
I’d really hope his ties to the school and a competitive enough NIL package from us can combine to keep him in Storrs if he doesn’t go pro.

But I think we should leave those rumors in the Twitter hellscape until something concrete is reported. As of now it’s mostly just one obnoxious fan and a weird Slater tweet that could wind up meaning anything or nothing.

E: Apologies if the above borders too much on speculation. I’m obviously worried about the situation but recognize if discussed at all it needs to be done delicately for now.

Reaction Score
There is a massive difference between Adama going professional and receiving a lucrative nil package elsewhere. If it’s the former, congrats to him. If it’s the latter, UConn needs to simply figure it out. Surely we have the resources to keep one of the faces of our program.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It is a myth. It will continue to be a myth.

Sanogo can (and is) earning NIL money. He just can't earn the money in the USA. Outside of this country, his student vidw is not relevant. He follows local laws. It's why he was in the Bahamas a few months ago. There wouldn't be a remote possibility of him returning to school if he couldn't earn NIL money.

Dozens, probably hundreds of foreign players are earning NIL money at this very moment.

Doubling down here is a foolish look. Take the L, my man.
Either way if he plays in US he is going to have to get a different visa….green card I think is still what people call it. I just don’t get the whole state department rules on why student visas are different. Something tells me it is more related to the other country not US. His home country wants the American educated kids to come back and make their country stronger. Probably less of a struggle to get a student visa then a green card if you only plan to go to school.

Reaction Score
He is the bread winner for his family.. Gotta do what's right for the long term.. He has a career overseas.. Does he improve his earning potential by staying--getting NIL-- and moving up on the draft board by another year of skill development in college??

Reaction Score
There is a massive difference between Adama going professional and receiving a lucrative nil package elsewhere. If it’s the former, congrats to him. If it’s the latter, UConn needs to simply figure it out. Surely we have the resources to keep one of the faces of our program.
If Adama comes back there's two players on the team that demand 25-30minutes at the 5. That can't happen if Adama returns.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Them playing those guys together was a major reason why they lost, if the game wasn’t a rock fight, they tended to lose. They don’t need to be playing sanogo/Clingan for long stretches at a time.
I was a proponent of playing the together but after Karaban got stronger defensively and his rebounding and length is underrated it was clear that with their current skill sets DC and AC on the floor together would have impacted floor spacing. When I saw the way we spaced the floor early in the year and the player movement after five games I looked at my son and said this team could be really good. I had no idea how good they were going to be defensively but that worked out as well.

Reaction Score
Agreed, plus that was before Sanogo could stretch the floor with some 3s. Sounds like the plan is for DC to incorporate that into his game next season too. 8-10 minutes of both with 2 other shooters and a lead guard would work out just fine IMO.

Reaction Score
It is a myth. I just bought an Adama Sanogo jersey a few days ago, and he is going to get a percentage of that money

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He is the bread winner for his family.. Gotta do what's right for the long term.. He has a career overseas.. Does he improve his earning potential by staying--getting NIL-- and moving up on the draft board by another year of skill development in college??

He’s a kid from Africa, so surely, he is the breadwinner in the family?

Lol….he’s not.

And wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member