Anthony: Adama Sanogo unsure if he will return to the UConn men's basketball team | The Boneyard

Anthony: Adama Sanogo unsure if he will return to the UConn men's basketball team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Is there anything to add to his UConn legacy at this point? Would he also consider returning as a senior? Or is it time to pursue a professional career?

“I've got to talk to my family,” said Sanogo, whose journey over the past six years has taken him from the impoverished West African nation of Mali to New York and New Jersey, eventually to Storrs and then to Houston, where on a glorious April Monday night night he was named most outstanding player at the Final Four. “It's not about me. I've got to see. I've got to talk to my family, talk to the coaches, and see. And go from there.”

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced his game and skills translate to the NBA, but you have to love an athlete this good who says "It's not about me" when asked about a potentially life changing decision. If I were a GM, that quote alone would make me take a second look.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'm not convinced his game and skills translate to the NBA, but you have to love an athlete this good who says "It's not about me" when asked about a potentially life changing decision. If I were a GM, that quote alone would make me take a second look.
I'm not convinced we are talking about him going to the NBA.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I would take a flyer on him if I were an NBA GM and I had a 2nd round pick or if he went undrafted. His low post skills are high, high level. And now he can stretch the floor a bit, pumpfake and put the ball on the floor. He’s still developing. His defense has improved tremendously too.

It might not work out since it goes against the current grain of NBA big men, but I’d take a flyer. Either way, he’s going to make a lot of money somewhere.

Reaction Score
Out of everything Adama has done in the tourney, the catch, dribble and drive layup from the right wing against Miami was the most critical skill shown which translates to the NBA.

I love this kid.

I know he's got an uphill battle to stick in the league but his growth as a player over the last couple seasons has been nothing short of extraordinary. I wouldn't bet against him.

Reaction Score
Come back my man and keep expanding on your game and athleticism. College is thr best time of your life! Either way, Husky Nation loves & supports you! Feel like he was so embarrassed by our first round exits and pushed us forward. A true Husky Legend!

Reaction Score
Honestly, I have him written as 100% gone for a few months so the fact that he is even considering staying make me happy. All that said I do think its probably time for him to strike while the iron is hot. I do not think he will have a long NBA career unfortunately but right now would be his best chance to have that.... I have said a few times but I do think he could do exactly what xavier tillman does for the grizzlies which is make 2 million a year while playing between 10 and 20 minutes a game of the bench. A big question is how much money he would make in college next year as well, if its at least like 250k than that is certainly enough where he can take care of his family for the year

I will root for him harder than maybe any uconn player ever when it comes to making an nba roster

Reaction Score
I watched a few "experts" saying Sanogo will go undrafted because they don't think he can defend at the NBA level. This was after the impressive tournament performance. He'll make money somewhere for sure, they just aren't sure at the NBA level. I have no opinion on whether he can defend in the NBA because I don't watch it.

Reaction Score
His stock will never be higher, he should definitely declare for the draft.
Unless he won't get drafted. He can be a free agent invite any year. Just being devil's advocate. He's going to really need feedback from teams. He'd be a below the rim player in an above the rim league.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
His amazing post skill set is not really utilized the same way in the NBA but not for nothing Kessler is having a great rookie season and Adamas offensive game made Kessler look like a JV player

Reaction Score
I will root for him harder than maybe any uconn player ever
Agreed. I am hoping that the fact he’s only been playing basketball for five or six years means he may have even more growth in the future. Not just hitting threes but even driving the ball. We know he can play D and he’s gonna work his ass off. It’s funny I see him down the road playing for the grizzlies as well

Reaction Score
A team like the Hawks, Grizzlies or Warriors will draft him and make everyone else in the league look dumb for passing on him.

Warriors play Kevan Looney 25-mins a night. Same size except Sanogo can actually hit shots and won't shoot 60% from the FT line like Looney.

Grizzlies start Xavier Tillman, 6'7 PF who can't hit threes, can't make FTs and is undersized for his position.

The Hawks play Capela who should be a good player comp for Sanogo. Except Sanogo will cost the league min and the Hawks are paying Capela 17/mill a year to avg 12 and 11.

Reaction Score
His amazing post skill set is not really utilized the same way in the NBA but not for nothing Kessler is having a great rookie season and Adamas offensive game made Kessler look like a JV player
Yes but they're in no way comparable players. Adama has much better offensive skills but Kessler is an elite rim protector and elite rim runner for dunks. Those are still really valuable skills in a legit 7 footer. There still aren't many legit 7 footers.

Reaction Score
Adama is in unique situation. He is ineligible for NIL due to his visa status, and his NBA draft prospect is not very high. It kind of sucks for him. I’m sure talks with families and Hurley, Murray, Moore and Kamani will factor a lot into his decision. But when dust settles, we all hope the very best for him.

With that said, the selfish me really want him and Andre to pull a Al Horford and Joakim Noah for Florida, come back to continue to work on their games, more so for Andre, and get us a back to back Natty to boot.

One can only wish. But Bible says: ask, and you shall receive.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The problem is center is not like any other position, where two of them are fine, even great (Bazz and Boat, El-Amin and Moore, etc). Two centers is one too many. And we have two of the top handful of centers in all of college basketball scheduled to be on our roster next year. I don't know what happens with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom