another read on : uconn's future | Page 2 | The Boneyard

another read on : uconn's future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I said, , and not to be disrespectful, but FB matters 80% and men's BB 20% (maybe). My first college BB game was Duke-UNC in the 56-57 season at Cameron so I go way back. You can prefer BB all you want (I'm equal, I guess) but decisions are unlikely to be made over BB as the primary factor in any of this and doing so is 1981 thinking and is loser thinking both in $$ and sense.

Reaction Score
You can prefer BB all you want (I'm equal, I guess) but decisions are unlikely to be made over BB as the primary factor in any of this and doing so is 1981 thinking and is loser thinking both in $$ and sense.

You're right that if we are forced to choose between the football and basketball programs, basketball is likely to suffer. But that doesn't mean that I have to agree. I cheer for our football team, and have regularly travelled from DC to watch games, but UConn basketball is what I grew up with and it is what I care about the most. The men's team is my first, second, and third favorite team.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I understand the threat, but I don't think it would ever happen for a number of reasons, including the threat of congressional action.

I'm curious about the congressional aspect. Why is the NCAA entitled to a monopoly on postseason tournaments? A bunch of schools can't get together and play each other (essentially cutting out the NCAA middleman)? Doesn't have to just be 64 teams, invite whoever, but if the schools collectively opt to ditch the NCAA, I'm not sure what congress can do about it.

Reaction Score
So sad !!! Great article !!!

"It’s just business, and this is the “business we’ve chosen.”"

John Silver is a staff writer for the Journal Inquirer.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm curious about the congressional aspect. Why is the NCAA entitled to a monopoly on postseason tournaments? A bunch of schools can't get together and play each other (essentially cutting out the NCAA middleman)? Doesn't have to just be 64 teams, invite whoever, but if the schools collectively opt to ditch the NCAA, I'm not sure what congress can do about it.
That's exactly what the bowls are, and the NIT used to be... I'm pretty sure there's not much they could do...

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think the 64 team super conference breaking off thing is a pipe dream though... there's to many affiliations and relationships outside of football and basketball that would be damaged. Football and basketball are almost everything but not quite... I'm not really sure what the 64 team away from the NCAA buys them enough... they effectively control the NCAA as it is anyway..

Reaction Score

Congress could intervene in a number of direct or indirect methods if there was sufficient public support. First, it could empower the NCAA by granting it an antitrust exemption. That would effectively overrule a Supreme Court case that transferred control over television revenue from the NCAA to the conferences and individual schools.

Second, it could threaten to tax college athletic revenues if the schools proceed with such a blatant money grab.

Third, it could simply impose federal rules on the whole damn thing. All of these schools take federal money in some way or another. If they want the federal gravey train to continue, they could be forced to submit to federal regulation (that's how Congress forced colleges to allow the Army onto their campuses for recruiting, despite some universities preference to exclude it until Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed).

Reaction Score
there would be a massive outcry from all directions if the 64 split. No way it will happen.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
What does that mean? That football makes more money than basketball? So what?

I personally enjoy college basketball more than college football, and I am therefore more interested in protecting UConn's basketball program. Telling me that football "is it" because ESPN will pay more for football makes no difference to me. I'm not investing in shares of the University of Connecticut, I am cheering for my favorite college team in my favorite college sport. That's it.
I too prefer UConn basketball to all the other sports.

But I also recognize that, at least potentially, UConn having success in football makes it more possible to make the investments necessary to be the best in basketball. Investments like the salaries of Calhoun and Auriemma, for starters.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The NCAA is a voluntary, non-governmental organization. The fear in Congress will be that the BCS will divorce itself from the NCAA entirely. Right now it is a sub-association of NCAA member schools. If the football schools decide to break away for all sports, and create an organization that essentially competes with the NCAA (as some predict), Congress will step in. What happens then is anybody's guess.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The NCAA is a voluntary, non-governmental organization. The fear in Congress will be that the BCS will divorce itself from the NCAA entirely. Right now it is a sub-association of NCAA member schools. If the football schools decide to break away for all sports, and create an organization that essentially competes with the NCAA (as some predict), Congress will step in. What happens then is anybody's guess.
My guess is it would never get that far. The Super64 thing is a fantasy that usually comes up when a coach or administration is having issues with the NCAA. The funny thing is, the very first thing the organization would do is create a governing body just like the NCAA that would probably have a rule book that's pretty similar to the crap the NCAA has.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
I guess that I am not convinced that UConn Basketball could survive at the highest levels should they miss out being included in one of the "super conferences".
I get that folks see Villanova, Butler and others making their mark in today's world without having a major football program - But I think the paradigm has shifted (or is undergoing a shift now) - UConn needs to have a seat at the big boy table or will face a slow but certain erosion of our beloved basketball program.
If (or when) the Super 64 break from the NCAA, UConn needs to be included or we will be left to remember the glory days.

Reaction Score
Rather than assuming that you know more than the other guy, you might consider that your priorities are simply different. I would rather see UConn football die than go the way of Butler and Gonzaga basketball-wise. It is true that those two schools are competitive, but how fun is it for their fans to only be relevant in December and March? I would like some relevant basketball games in January and February, thank you very much.
The guy is using Villanova as the model...a small private school of 6500 undergrads. Villanova is not our model for ANYTHING. They are a modest sized private school that is primarily focussed on undergraduate education. UCONN is a major public university with a respected graduate school that awards PhDs (VU does in religious studies, I believe) in multiple disciplines, conducts cutting edge reseach, has a medical school, a dental school, a law school, graduate business school, school of pharmacy, school of social work and on and on. It operates on a completely different plane. It is much closer to UNC, Virginia, even Michigan and Ohio State than it is to Villanova. Villanova's peers are really schools like Fairfield and PC and Quinipiac. Comparing them is apples and oranges and comparing their athletic goals is too. As far as you other point, that you'd prefer to see UCONN football die than be Butler or Gonzaga...well that is not the choice. First I don't get the argument. I mean, who would want to go to consecutive NCAA finals? or be nationally ranked virtually every year? But really, it should be possible to get into a conference where both sports can thrive, and both the ACC and the Big 10 are such conferences. Without Pitt and Syracuse, the big East isn't the league it was. Lose any of UCONN, Louisville, West Virginia and it moves down another step, and lose 2 and it moves back even more. Georgetown, Villanova Marquette are nice programs, but htey are Top 20ish programs, not potential Top 5 programs. without the Big East as it has been, you have to wonder how or if they can continue to recruit the same level of athletes, too.

Reaction Score
An alternative to the present thinking is for UConn to adopt the Villanova approach - continue with national excellence in basketball, and to enjoy interscholastic footbal at a lower level - eg., Army, Navy, Colgate, Ivies.

And why not??? We are a state-supported institution. The re-creation of UConn's football aims to attempt to participate in BCS competition is really unnecessary. BB supports itself, it's football that demands $$$ in order to compete on a national level. And football shares big money with some of those schools who do compete on that level. But, to whom is it necessary??

I'm sure the Villanova fans appreciate their brand of competitive football and do not need the agony of raising major funds to support the program's growth. We at UConn have no glorious history on the gridiron, and existed quite well competing with Maine, NH, etc. So why beat our brains out and create $$ angst to go somewhere that's totally unnecessary?

Maybe we should re-think about some of our extra-curricular ambitions at our state school.

How did Chip find this place?

This was the funniest post I have ever read.

Reaction Score
The guy is using Villanova as the model...a small private school of 6500 undergrads. Villanova is not our model for ANYTHING. They are a modest sized private school that is primarily focussed on undergraduate education. UCONN is a major public university with a respected graduate school that awards PhDs (VU does in religious studies, I believe) in multiple disciplines, conducts cutting edge reseach, has a medical school, a dental school, a law school, graduate business school, school of pharmacy, school of social work and on and on. It operates on a completely different plane. It is much closer to UNC, Virginia, even Michigan and Ohio State than it is to Villanova. Villanova's peers are really schools like Fairfield and PC and Quinipiac. Comparing them is apples and oranges and comparing their athletic goals is too. As far as you other point, that you'd prefer to see UCONN football die than be Butler or Gonzaga...well that is not the choice. First I don't get the argument. I mean, who would want to go to consecutive NCAA finals? or be nationally ranked virtually every year? But really, it should be possible to get into a conference where both sports can thrive, and both the ACC and the Big 10 are such conferences. Without Pitt and Syracuse, the big East isn't the league it was. Lose any of UCONN, Louisville, West Virginia and it moves down another step, and lose 2 and it moves back even more. Georgetown, Villanova Marquette are nice programs, but htey are Top 20ish programs, not potential Top 5 programs. without the Big East as it has been, you have to wonder how or if they can continue to recruit the same level of athletes, too.

I believe it is fair to say that everyone's first choice would be an invitation from the Big 10 or ACC. But what happens if such an invitation does not come in the short term? At that point, UConn will likely have to decide whether to join a conference for football or basketball purposes. I personally would like to see us join the strongest basketball conference available, and nurse our football program along as best as possible until a better situation for all sports comes along.

And I don't see why the size or public nature of the University should affect that decision. William and Mary is a great public school, and it has neither a good football nor basketball team. Again, it's just a choice between sports and other priorities.

Reaction Score
William 7 Mary is a fine school, but it isn't the flagship of the Virginia system, either. That role goes to the University of Virginia. And Virginia Tech is the largest of the Virginia public schools. That's fine if you want to use them as a model. to date UCONN has decide dit wants to be more like virginia and North Carolina than others in its athletic programs as well as its academic ones. We could also model ourselves after the University of chicago and compete at the D-3 level. Great school. Participates with the big 10 schools in many academic endeavors. But again, we didn't do that.

Reaction Score
The University of Chicago is a private college, which I am sure someone as unjustifiably arrogant as you must know, so I would never bring it up as a potential model for UConn. I'd hate to suffer your ridicule for being so ignorant.

Reaction Score
William and Mary actually has a pretty damn good football program. They play in the A 10 which is like the SEC in FCS.

Reaction Score
The University of Chicago is a private college, which I am sure someone as unjustifiably arrogant as you must know, so I would never bring it up as a potential model for UConn. I'd hate to suffer your ridicule for being so ignorant.
It is a national university, probably more similar to Tufts than UCONN, its true. And probably better known for its graduate programs and research than its undergraduate programs. Sorry if I hurt your feelings but it drives me nuts when people don't get that UCONN, rutgers, Pitt, schools like that so different from the basketball schools in so many ways, academically, socially, athletically and it just makes no logical sense to compare what they want to do and where they hope to go with where UCONN wants to go. Since 2000, UCONN has won national Championships in 3 different sports and gone to the finals in 2 others. that is a far different level of competitiveness than most of the basketball schools can even think of. Now clearly UCONN has been particularly successful, but still, most of the Catholic schools struggle to put 1 nationally relevent program, mens basketball, on the floor.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So is ours.
Yes the BE is bad also. I still can't understand Pitt and Syracuse going from one bad football conference to another bad one. Especially since both have bad media contracts. The fear of WV bolting made these guys jump. The first firecracker and they think its a bomb.

Reaction Score
Yes the BE is bad also. I still can't understand Pitt and Syracuse going from one bad football conference to another bad one. Especially since both have bad media contracts. The fear of WV bolting made these guys jump. The first firecracker and they think its a bomb.
I don't know that that was true. I do think that this has been in the works for a while and with everything else that was going on, they were concerned about either being left behind or being part of something that was goin gto be a nightmare. If the B-12 had collapsed and say Kansas, K-State, Iowa State and Baylor joined the Big East, you've got a mess of a conference, and one that doesn't work well for football and even less well for basketball. They had an opportunity to go to a pretty stable situation, for good if not great money, preserve some old eastern rivalries in a league where football at least isn't viewed negatively. did West virginia's flirtation help? certainly not. But I don't think that was what drove these guys. I suspect that this was going to happen regardless of whether West Virginia or Rutgers were throwing themselves out there like the ugly girls at closing time on Valentines day.

Reaction Score
There are some small time thinkers on this board. Fortunately, UConn, & the state of CT listened to Lew Perkins years ago.
Without big time football, there will be no basketball program.
1o years from now the super 64, or 80, whatever the number, will split from the NCAA. Everyone in the super list makes it to the big show in whatever respective sport(s) they are in. Everything else will be the equivalent of D-1AA in football today. The remaining BE hoops schools will find this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom