Another Deepster Yard Goats Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another Deepster Yard Goats Update

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No, I just didn't take the city's side as gospel. I also know that CP told the city that their changes were going to cause delays and cost overruns and that fell on deaf ears, and also that the city inspector made them re-do work he'd already approved.
Sure sounds like you're taking the CP side as gospel, though.

I tend to believe that, as in most instances, the truth is somewhere in between. That's why there's a lawsuit.

I also think that Bronin realized that there was blame on all sides, gave CP a chance to work under new terms that CP itself set, and then took action only when CP failed to meet those terms. We will see.

I do agree that it's a sad and losing situation for all involved, but the damage was done long before Bronin inherited it.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

I tend to believe that, as in most instances, the truth is somewhere in between. That's why there's a lawsuit.

I also think that Bronin realized that there was blame on all sides, gave CP a chance to work under new terms that CP itself set, and then took action only when CP failed to meet those terms. We will see.

I do agree that it's a sad and losing situation for all involved, but the damage was done long before Bronin inherited it.
This is my take as well. There's plenty of blame to go around here.

The original plan should never have been approved, given the obvious flaws in it, but in the rush to make headlines, parties on both sides were all too willing to turn their heads and play dumb.

This happens far too often in politically charged development projects.

Reaction Score

Shutting down construction and kicking them off the site did far more damage than anything else.

If I'm taking CP's side more seriously, it's because I know they told the city there were problems with the city's plan long before the city started its disingenuous grandstanding. I know there were change orders submitted after the deadline date.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
you mean the stadium is still not complete? the team is playing all road games? the sidewalks in Hartford still roll up at dusk?

gosh darn, who would have thought that?

this story is somehow making the billion dollar bus look good

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You mean the bus which has much higher than expected ridership and everybody seems to be enjoying so much they're expanding eastward? Gosh, I hope the Yard Goats don't turn into another popular debacle like that!
Speaking of buses, has anyone seen the new Chinese transit bus that rides over traffic? Pretty friggin' cool:

upload_2016-8-4_12-46-21.jpeg

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/05/world/asia/china-elevated-bus-teb.html?_r=0

Reaction Score
You mean the bus which has much higher than expected ridership and everybody seems to be enjoying so much they're expanding eastward? Gosh, I hope the Yard Goats don't turn into another popular debacle like that!

Reality doesn't matter. They just like to stomp their feet.

Reaction Score
And some folks think that the NHL is coming back any day to save Hartford and the XL Center. The NHL is run by a bunch of clowns; but, after watching how badly Hartford screwed-up two minor franchises (AA baseball and NASL soccer), no way Hartord gets a team via expansion or relocation.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

if they only lowered expectations a little more, they could have claimed usage exceeded expectations by 100%

silly planning on their part

Reaction Score
Yup. I'm the bad guy for ripping on Hartford and this stadium and how people get shot every other day. Yep. Deepster's the jerk

Reaction Score
I was very excited by the prospects of this but now I'm just pissed off! I made a joke earlier in the thread about moving the seats but seriously they should have expanded the Rent with this money!

Reaction Score
I was very excited by the prospects of this but now I'm just pissed off! I made a joke earlier in the thread about moving the seats but seriously they should have expanded the Rent with this money!
They had a good thing going in New Britain but ruined it for greed. Just desserts if you ask me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It would be odd for Hartford to spend money to expand a stadium in East Hartford.

Reaction Score
They had a good thing going in New Britain but ruined it for greed. Just desserts if you ask me.
They were leaving New Britain, no matter what.

Reaction Score
Yup. I'm the bad guy for ripping on Hartford and this stadium and how people get shot every other day. Yep. Deepster's the jerk

People get shot every other day? That's like... 175 murders a year! That'd be really impressive.

The problem is that you think the city is just worth throwing away. Is Hartford perfect? Of course not. But that doesn't mean you just give up on it. You still try to develop it and make it more attractive, especially to young people, who are moving to cities with higher frequency and enjoying a more urban lifestyle.

I live in New Haven and if I could just walk over to a minor league baseball game on a nice day and have a cold beer in the sunshine, that'd be fine by me. Yeah, there are some bad neighborhoods in New Haven. People get shot. But there's a lot of good stuff, too, and people like you don't help by constantly obsessing over the blights of a city which we are all aware.

Your contribution is negativity and pessimism and doomsaying and your reward is patting yourself on the back for caring more about being right than actually caring about the health of the city.

Reaction Score
People get shot every other day? That's like... 175 murders a year! That'd be really impressive.

No, I said "get shot". Not murdered. And I was close but not quite right with "every other day". In 2015, 141 people were shot in Hartford. Not 175.

The problem is that you think the city is just worth throwing away. Is Hartford perfect? Of course not. But that doesn't mean you just give up on it. You still try to develop it and make it more attractive, especially to young people, who are moving to cities with higher frequency and enjoying a more urban lifestyle.

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said the city is worth throwing away. But it's a long, long, long way away from being close to fixed....and there are morons manning that effort right now. Pardon me for pointing that all out.

Your contribution is negativity and pessimism and doomsaying and your reward is patting yourself on the back for caring more about being right than actually caring about the health of the city.

Good. It offsets the pollyanna "everything is great" attitude some folks have and adds a dose of reality to the conversation. Let's get another post with stuff like "The Whalers are coming back!!!" instead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom