And the best UConn win was... | The Boneyard

And the best UConn win was...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just wanted to know what some fans think was the best UConn win and why?

I'd vote for the win over Notre Dame, but I have a limited history with UConn football.

But why do I think it was so special?

First, it was against a nationally known team that 99% of the Irish faithful and most of the viewing probably thought was a gimme game for ND. The luck of the Irish ran out on this one. Second, UConn had to overcome a BS holding call in the final minutes that would have lead to a win in regulation time. Third, UConn's goal line stand and stop by Lloyd that sent ND's Allen's helmet flying. Fourth, the TD catch in the right corner of the end zone was one phenomenal effort! Right up there with the one handed grab against SC in the Papajohn's Bowl. Fifth, I can't stand the arrogance of Charlie Weis. Good luck in Kansas Charlie...really. :D

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
August 30, 2003. First win in the new stadium. Against Indiana. We soundly beat someone from the vaunted Big 10...34-10. I think that was coming of age.

Reaction Score
Beating West Virginia to start the roll towards the BE Championship and Fiesta Bowl. Seeing the fans and joining them rush the field was pretty cool too.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
ND, South Carolina, and WVU are all arguably the "best" wins... for me, this is one of my favorites:

(Thanks Santini for the clip)

11/11/2006, night game... Donald Brown went nuts this game... we were down two scores with 8 minutes left... got to OT as time expired... battled in OT and then went for 2 for the win. That's as crazy as I've ever been at the Rent!

Reaction Score
The Notre Dame game or out-playing South Carolina.

both are great!

Reaction Score
ND was super emotional because the team had been through hell and back with the Jazz tragedy and then one tough loss after another after it. They then went into ND and played their hearts out. But, at the end of the day, and ND fans will think this is nuts, we were a better and more athletic team.

Beating SC later that season in the bowl game was about the best game I've seen a UCONN team play against a quality opponent. The defense was simply amazing. All cylinders were firing and it was a great ending to a very emotional season.

Reaction Score
ND was super emotional because the team had been through hell and back with the Jazz tragedy and then one tough loss after another after it. They then went into ND and played their hearts out. But, at the end of the day, and ND fans will think this is nuts, we were a better and more athletic team.

Beating SC later that season in the bowl game was about the best game I've seen a UCONN team play against a quality opponent. The defense was simply amazing. All cylinders were firing and it was a great ending to a very emotional season.

The first paragraph of this is dead on. If ND was the biggest win ever, it wasn't because it was Notre Dame. It was because of getting the win for Jazz after a three game losing streak that, based on the way the games were lost, was one of the hardest things to watch I've ever seen as a sports fan.

In addition to the ones named so far, the list of contenders would include the '07 win against USF at home, starting with playing through an utter deluge and ending with the goal line stand and Greg Robinson staying home on the naked bootleg, and the relatively comfortable win at home against a Fiesta Bowl bound Pitt in '04 for our first Big East win ever.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I vote for Maryland. It was a dream win for us to get rid of Rangoon and get a real HC.

I'd vote for the win over Notre Dame, but I have a limited history with UConn football.

First, it was against a nationally known team that 99% of the Irish faithful and most of the viewing probably thought was a gimme game for ND. The luck of the Irish ran out on this one. Second, UConn had to overcome a BS holding call in the final minutes that would have lead to a win in regulation time. Third, UConn's goal line stand and stop by Lloyd that sent ND's Allen's helmet flying. Fourth, the TD catch in the right corner of the end zone was one phenomenal effort! Right up there with the one handed grab against SC in the Papajohn's Bowl. Fifth, I can't stand the arrogance of Charlie Weis. Good luck in Kansas Charlie...really. :D

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ND, WVU, USF title clinch, USCe should be in mostly everyones top 5 I would think. I guess you could say I'm saving my #1 win ever spot in my heart for a game in the future.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Shout out for Iowa St on the road as an independent. Foreboding of a good start as a FBS program. Beating a very good WVU team on the way to the BCS is the best win.

Reaction Score

---------------------------------------------------------------
Notre Dame, hands down! If u went there, u don't understand the accomplishment of overcoming the intimidating environment of a football program w/ tradition and nearly 90,000 fans on the road! Atmosphere was sick, and much to my dismay the fans were the most gracious hosts I've ever witnessed at a sporting event. I was rockin my Jazz 6 tshirt along w/ a buddy and we weren't on the campus 5 mins b4 people were just coming up to us and expressing their sorrow for what happened to Jazz. I almost blasted the first lady that came up to us bcuz I thought she was being disingenuous, but quickly realized she was very sincere. I'm just not used to that in New England. Those same fans were very cordial after the game as the 10k insane Uconn fans were storming the stadium after the game as well. A sports moment I will never forget!!

Reaction Score
ND, WVU, USF title clinch, USCe should be in mostly everyones top 5 I would think. I guess you could say I'm saving my #1 win ever spot in my heart for a game in the future.
-------------------------------------
USF game was awesome too! Stormed the field after that one!!!!!

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Not the best team we ever beat, but the win over ND was our best win.

Exactly. Beating Notre Dame was huge for a lot of reasons. South Carolina is the next best win and probably beating West Virginia would be 3rd.

Reaction Score
Saw all the above games in person. ND was hard to top but Birmingham Papa was a great win. Beating the SEC by running the ball down their throats was a sight to behold.Taking 3 straight knees on the goal line to end it was downright EMBARASSING!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
ND, WVU, USF title clinch, USCe should be in mostly everyones top 5 I would think.

i think you round out the top 5 with the win at Iowa State in 2002. it was a huge upset win at the time, and the first time i was really shocked that we won a game. i remember thinking we'd get creamed going into it. i think they were the first bowl bound team we beat and it was on the road. i consider it our first big boy win

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Toledo in the Motor City Bowl. 39-10 final...
That was great. You only have one first bowl game... (excuse me while I duck in case they were in one 75 years ago and Carl will correct me. Speaking of... where's he been?)

Half the fun was just getting to the game... left CT around 11 or so the night before just as a blizzard was settling in... what a drive.

Reaction Score
Shout out for Iowa St on the road as an independent. Foreboding of a good start as a FBS program. Beating a very good WVU team on the way to the BCS is the best win.
Yep, that Iowa State game was huge. At the time it was played, there is no question it was the greatest win in UConn history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom