And in even more good news, ESPN: "Sources: 7th access bowl unlikely" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

And in even more good news, ESPN: "Sources: 7th access bowl unlikely"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also, the Big East and non-power conference have already probably sent the BCS a draft of their anti-trust lawsuit, which the BCS would have about a 90% chance of losing.
Right on the nose. This whole conference realignment nonsense and BCS bowl nonsense stinks to high heaven of collussion and restraint of trade. If this was pursued and discovery taken, there would be a lot of a$$es sitting in the frying pan.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Help me out. There have been discussions about the 7th big bowl game, involving Aresco and the BE, presumably non-BCS conferences, and possibly "power five" conferences who would send a 2nd or 3rd place team to this bowl. The discussions presumably involve ESPN, but other networks too (why would they be exclusive to ESPN/Disney?). This is independent ofthe ESPN / BE contract negotiations, right? I can get the theory that ESPN would downplay the BE as part of a campaign to bring down the BE's price - if the BE winds up signing with ESPN during the window. It looks like that's not going to happen, but the main point being - there are more parties involved in the 7th bowl game besides just ESPN. So what benefit does ESPN get out of pushing the market value of the 7th bowl game down???

When Dick Cheney anonymously fed (false) intel on Saddam's metal tubes to the NY Times, and then cited that report on Meet the Press as if it were independently sourced information that backed up his WMD argument to invade Iraq, he had a clear benefit with no downside to it. (That is, until the troops went to the supposed WMD sites and found no WMDs). If ESPN is engaging in a propaganda campaign against the BE... specifically in relation to the value of the 7th bowl game, there's no clear benefit since any other network, FOX, NBC/Comcast, Turner, CBS/Viacom can just buy the bowl game if they decide it's worth it - regardless of what McMurphy's sources are saying.

Am I wrong? are the 7th bowl game contract and the BE TV contract tied together somehow other than in the perceived market value of the BE? I just don't understand the conspiracy here, if someone can explain it to me and provide evidence other than "the timing is supsicious" or "ESPN hates the BE" I might be willing to consider.

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...t-commish-seventh-playoff-bowl-alive-and-well

Don't pay attention to internet chatters. Read what the BIg EAst commish had to say - TODAY.

McMurphy, just did an incredibly ugly hack job of an article, and don't make any mistake, this bowl game - is entirely about the Big East, and ESPN owns the BCS arrangement right now, which currently are the "access" points for playoff games into the national playoff. Just look at the title of McMurphy's article.

I don't think a guy like Mike Aresco, is going to be blindsided by information, the way former leaders of this conference were. I could be wrong about that. We'll see.

Always follow the money - there are big time negotiations going on, and you haven't heard a peep from anybody on one side - about money, and we are 5 days from going to open market.

Reaction Score
Tweets All / No replies
4m
Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN
He also said Big East had shot at Orange Bowl RT @JFowlerCBS: Blog: #BigEast commish Mike Aresco says seventh playoff bowl alive and well

Collapse

• 1RETWEET
9:47 AM - 25 Oct 12 · Details

Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP
Just because ESPN prints money doesn't mean it's looking to give it away.

Expand
15m

Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP

Main stumbling block on 7th game seems pretty obvious: Does TV partner want it? How much will they pay? .... (more)

Expand

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs
Scott says decision on seventh bowl is 6-9 months down the road.

Expand
37m

Dennis Dodd@dennisdoddcbs

"Whether there are going to be six of seven (bowls), that's an open question ... Any speculation on a seventh bowl is premature." Scott

Expand

Let's back up for a minute. Way back when, when the Big East was fighting for survival, all we heard about was AQ status. Retaining AQ status was the most important part of the Big East's expansion plans. The narrative changed because the Big East was stripped of its AQ status.

Fast forward to today, the Big East has been stripped of its AQ status. The BCS largely remains in place, with the playoff layer added on. Now that there are contract bowls, that is bowls that automatically take certain conferences' teams, the Big East finds itself on the outside looking in. Aresco has to figure out what to do, since the framework for the playoffs has already been decided, as has the access bowls and contract bowls. The incentive to add the Gilligan Bowl is there only if it makes people money AND it makes the pesky little dog stop barking. Larry Scott used to be a big proponent of the 7th bowl, or so we have been told. But since it was leaked that the Pac 12 would be forced to send one of its top teams to the bowl, his tune has changed. I guess Oregon and USC don't like the idea of playing against the best of the worst.

Now the problem isn't Aresco. Unfortunately he came into the game too late. The BCS meetings were conducted with the President of Louisville as the BE representative. At that meeting, the playoff access bowls and contract bowls were born.

So now Aresco is forced to deal with SDSU and Boise State and the chaos of a coast to coast college conference, as well as a system in which by any objective observer, the Big East has been relegated as a nonpower conference.

Aresco will fight, and fight well, but in the end, his voice doesn't matter to Slive, Delaney, Scott, Bowlsby nor Swofford.

Reaction Score
Jeremy Fowler@JFowlerCBS
RT @McMurphyESPN: He also said Big East had shot at Orange Bowl RT @JFowlerCBS: Blog: Mike Aresco says seventh playoff bowl alive and well

So now McMurphy @ ESPN is openly mocking the Big East Commissioner and a peer @ CBS. Nice!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't think a guy like Mike Aresco, is going to be blindsided by information, the way former leaders of this conference were. I could be wrong about that. We'll see.

Sure. But the 7th bowl game could have happened by now, and it hasn't. Instead of assuming this because ESPN is somehow magically stopping it from happening because they're trying to devalue the BE (and they are doing the latter), I'll go with the more parsimonious explanation that it just isn't profitable enough for the networks and other conferences that would be involved for it to go forward. And if it winds up not happening, it doesn't mean Aresco was blindsided, or not. It means he couldn't convince others there was value in a 7th bowl game worth investing in.

Reaction Score
Until a television deal is negotiated take all this with a pinch of salt.

Reaction Score
Sure. But the 7th bowl game could have happened by now, and it hasn't. Instead of assuming this because ESPN is somehow magically stopping it from happening because they're trying to devalue the BE (and they are doing the latter), I'll go with the more parsimonious explanation that it just isn't profitable enough for the networks and other conferences that would be involved for it to go forward. And if it winds up not happening, it doesn't mean Aresco was blindsided, or not. It means he couldn't convince others there was value in a 7th bowl game worth investing in.

Umm - where did I say that ESPN is magically stopping something? All I've pointed out, is that there is absolutely no credibility, to the ESPN article.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Aresco also recently said that the Big East basketball conference is as strong as ever and there is no question the Big East remains the premier basketball conference.

So what happens when a conference commissioner says something that is clearly wrong - is it still right because a conference commissioner said so?

Reaction Score
It's just spin. At least Aresco is fighting, Marinatto just bent over and took it.

Reaction Score
Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerCBS
RT @McMurphyESPN: He also said Big East had shot at Orange Bowl RT @JFowlerCBS: Blog: Mike Aresco says seventh playoff bowl alive and well

Alright, I'm pretty thick about Twitter. Can someone please decipher the above. Was this from Fowler? or McMurphy ? Who is "He" that is referenced? What is RT?
Sorry but am I the only one who is lost here?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

Alright, I'm pretty thick about Twitter. Can someone please decipher the above. Was this from Fowler? or McMurphy ? Who is "He" that is referenced? What is RT?

RT usually means "Retweet." In this particular case, I believe that Fowler first tweeted "Mike Aresco says seventh playoff bowl alive and well" and McMurphy replied to him saying "He also said Big East had shot at Orange Bowl" which was then "Retweeted" by Fowler.

I'm a novice to Twitter but that's what I read of it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
RT usually means "Retweet." In this particular case, I believe that Fowler first tweeted "Mike Aresco says seventh playoff bowl alive and well" and McMurphy replied to him saying "He also said Big East had shot at Orange Bowl" which was then "Retweeted" by Fowler.

I'm a novice to Twitter but that's what I read of it.

Exactly right.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I feel the same way you do, my friend!!! :confused: I hate Twitter lingo/syntax...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I feel the same way you do, my friend!!! :confused: I hate Twitter lingo/syntax...

Mattmang23 @mattmang23 what's so hard about it?RT @UConnDan97 I feel the same way you do, my friend!!! :confused: I hate Twitter lingo/syntax... @Nostical @JFowlerCBS RT @McMurphy_ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom