And in even more good news, ESPN: "Sources: 7th access bowl unlikely" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

And in even more good news, ESPN: "Sources: 7th access bowl unlikely"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The only reason that Louisville and Rutgers aren't ranked in the top ten with other unbeatens, and are at #15, and #16... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Why is Mississippi St. not in the top ten with the other unbeatens? Some kind of conspiracy against the SEC?

The Big East is getting the credit it deserves this year. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reaction Score
The only reason that Louisville and Rutgers aren't ranked in the top ten with other unbeatens, and are at #15, and #16, is because of their low status in the polling to start the season, which is a result of the two decades of the combination of poor management from the conference, and by extension poor media relations.

public perception is very important in college football when it comes to polling, and that's exactly why a paid professional writer, would put out piece of garbage as poorly written(or greatly written - depending on your perspective) as this piece, the purpose of which, is purely meant to sway public opinion.

The college football world is going through major, major change right now. The public is demanding that the champions, actually get determined on the fields of play. THe system is going to fight it, but the bowl system that they are trying to preserve right now, that was concocted in the 1990s, will not continue in the future with a concurrent playoff.

A lower tier bowl system, for winning teams, can co-exist with a true playoff, and should, to reward those 6-6, 7-5, 8-4 programs that don't qualify for a playoff, and the corruption around the college football post season would eventually get cleaned up.

I think it's going to happen faster, than a lot of people anticipate. The BCS system died, with the initial approval of a 4 team playoff. The thing that needs to get really hashed out, is the revenue distribution for the post season among conferences - that's what it's all about now. A revenue distribution system that rewards things like both academics, as well as performance on the field, is not something a conference like the SEC or Big 12 wants to hear about.

Rutgers has a low status because of the mismanagement of the Big East conference? Rutgers had a low status for over a century before there was a Big East conference.

Reaction Score
Why is Mississippi St. not in the top ten with the other unbeatens? Some kind of conspiracy against the SEC?

The Big East is getting the credit it deserves this year. Nothing more, nothing less.

Very poor understanding of what I've written. Don't let your personal feelings about what I write and how I write it get in the way. The media polling system is incredibly biased, and where you finish in the rankings, unless you go 12-0, is entirely dependant upon where you start in the rankings, before the season even starts.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has a low status because of the mismanagement of the Big East conference? Rutgers had a low status for over a century before there was a Big East conference.

I clearly wrote something without really thinking about how it was going to be understood. The simple bias in college football is that pre-season ranking, are directly related to final season polling. THe media and coaches polling, prior to any season even starting - had DIRECT effect on the final rankings. THe big east conference football wing, did very, very little self promotion in teh system for years, while the coaches and programs, and media followings in conferences like the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12, were openly talking about voting for only their own conference programs in all polls, and well aware of how the system works,.....the big east sat by and actually was naive enough, or uppity enough, depending on your point of view - not to sink to that level - to self promote.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I understood you. I understood you to write that RU and UL are being given a biased review due to the mismanagement of the BE and the perceived poor relationship between the media and that conference.

Funny, they treat BE bball pretty fairly.

Carl, it's not my interpretation. Next time you want someone to interpret something the way you mean it, you should write it so it's interpreted that way.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I clearly wrote something without really thinking about how it was going to be understood.

Yup, you did.

But you admit that to BL- who, by the way, interpreted it the same as I did- whereas in my case, it's a matter of reading comprehension. That's odd.

You should work on your writing skills.

Reaction Score
Very poor understanding of what I've written. Don't let your personal feelings about what I write and how I write it get in the way. The media polling system is incredibly biased, and where you finish in the rankings, unless you go 12-0, is entirely dependant upon where you start in the rankings, before the season even starts.
Exactly, and that occurs because the perception of the Big East is that it's a weak mid-major conference, which is precisely the problem with being in the Big East. We are a mid-major football program in everyone else's eyes.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Aresco said Saturday night in Boise that the 7th Bowl is going to happen. Lets stick with that for now.

I heard him say it again as recently as this morning on Yahoo radio with Tim Brando. Either Aresco doesn't want to give up what he knows, the ESPN report is bull, or he has been blindsided by this.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Prediction: A seventh bowl is all but assured at some point. If not now, then in the near future. It won't matter what it's called, nor have any specific conference affiliation. Once the BCS gets a taste of all the money from the 4 team playoff, do you not think they will devise an immediate plan to expand the tournement? My guess is by 2024, the top 10 BCS ranked teams will make up the tourney with 2 play-in games. It will build up to that in the meantime. That means 9 bowl games that count by year 10 of the new format. The rest will continue to be what they are now...exhibitions.

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy's sources are NOT infallible & sometimes they have an agenda.

LOOK ... we have a solid grouping of Teams outside the Power conference. Some may have great eyeball draws. A Boise or a Rutgers could bring in better numbers than a #3 B1G versus a #1ACC; hence you have a very imperfect market. I believe a 7th Bowl is not that hard a lift. I believe with Fox & NBC & CBS ... with ESPN ... there is enough interest to Market a game for the All-Everything Else group versus the best match available.

Or just do away with the damn Bowl system.

(I NOTICE SOMETIMES WHEN I SEND POSTS FROM MY iPHONE, THEY HAVE BIG ERRORS IN THEM)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy's sources are NOT infallible nor & sometimes they have an agenda.

LOOK ... we have a solid grouping of Teams outside the Power conference. Some may have great eyeball draws. A Boise or a Rutgers could bring in better numbers than a #3 B1G versus a #1ACC; hence you have a very imperfect market. I believe a 7th Bowl is not that hard a life. I believe with Fox & NBC & CBS ... with ESPN ... there is enough interest to Market a game for the All-Everything Else group versus the best match available.

Ain't gonna matter. The best teams will be in tournement. The rest will be what the non-BCS Championship games are now. Heavy regional interest and from participating school alumni, with some passing interest sprinkled in.

Reaction Score
I understood you. I understood you to write that RU and UL are being given a biased review due to the mismanagement of the BE and the perceived poor relationship between the media and that conference.

Funny, they treat BE bball pretty fairly.

Carl, it's not my interpretation. Next time you want someone to interpret something the way you mean it, you should write it so it's interpreted that way.

Well, actually it is your interpretation. What I was thinking about, and focused on, in the post that I think started this, was much more about the changes coming in the college football world, not the ranking systems and big east bias in the media.

The rest of this that this discussion has devolved into regarding that, I've simply brought on myself for writing they way I do about the things I write about around here. I guess people remember things though, so that's pretty cool.

Reaction Score
Yup, you did.

But you admit that to BL- who, by the way, interpreted it the same as I did- whereas in my case, it's a matter of reading comprehension. That's odd.

You should work on your writing skills.

Nah, I'm happy just writing the way I do. Sooner or later I"ll figure out how to get paid for it.

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy's sources are NOT infallible nor & sometimes they have an agenda.

LOOK ... we have a solid grouping of Teams outside the Power conference. Some may have great eyeball draws. A Boise or a Rutgers could bring in better numbers than a #3 B1G versus a #1ACC; hence you have a very imperfect market. I believe a 7th Bowl is not that hard a life. I believe with Fox & NBC & CBS ... with ESPN ... there is enough interest to Market a game for the All-Everything Else group versus the best match available.

I know everybody thinks I see conspiracy everywhere in the world, but I don't. What I see, is BS information vs. credible information.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I know everybody thinks I see conspiracy everywhere in the world, but I don't. What I see, is BS information vs. credible information.
Okay. Where is the credible information that the networks are dying to get a BE champ in a big time bowl game in the same neighborhood as the Rose, Champs bowl? Because if there isn't any, it means the alternative (the payout would be low) is probably more likely to be true, fantasies and conspiracy theories nonwithstanding. Of course, the thing about conspiracy theories is that all evidence to the contrary means the conspiracy must be casting a wider and wider net.

Reaction Score

There in lies the rub and a personification of the problem built into the "new" system. Rutgers is being discounted because of its past.The same is probably true of Miss. State (mentioned above). I'll bet there are voters who don't know that either school is undefeated.

Reaction Score
Okay. Where is the credible information that the networks are dying to get a BE champ in a big time bowl game in the same neighborhood as the Rose, Champs bowl? Because if there isn't any, it means the alternative (the payout would be low) is probably more likely to be true, fantasies and conspiracy theories nonwithstanding. Of course, the thing about conspiracy theories is that all evidence to the contrary means the conspiracy must be casting a wider and wider net.

hold on - who said the big east was going to get a bowl game contract with a payout on par with the rose bowl? There's nothing in the market to indicate that, you are falling into the trap. There's also nothing in the market to support the ESPN writer's statements of value.

THe next contract that the big east conference signs on for the champ to play in a specific bowl game, will be the first contract with a specific bowl game that the big east football conference has had for it's champion, since the league was founded in 1991.

It is what it is, don't be fooled by garbage information, we should have had a contract in place for our champion with a specific bowl for over 20 years ago, but the former leadership, didn't think it was important.

What the value of such a game will be? Well the entire reality of the Big East value, including a bowl game featuring a big east conference champ, will be known, not too long from now.

Reaction Score
Oh man.....sorry dude. I see what you did there now, and I missed it. Sorry. McMurphy is the ultimate cross-reference, strawman source builder in the industry.

Doesn't that just make McMurphy like the one poster here who quoted himself? Maybe there is a Boneyarder destined for an ESPN blogger paycheck!

Reaction Score
I clearly wrote something without really thinking about how it was going to be understood. The simple bias in college football is that pre-season ranking, are directly related to final season polling. THe media and coaches polling, prior to any season even starting - had DIRECT effect on the final rankings. THe big east conference football wing, did very, very little self promotion in teh system for years, while the coaches and programs, and media followings in conferences like the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12, were openly talking about voting for only their own conference programs in all polls, and well aware of how the system works,.....the big east sat by and actually was naive enough, or uppity enough, depending on your point of view - not to sink to that level - to self promote.

Agree with almost all of that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Doesn't that just make McMurphy like the one poster here who quoted himself? Maybe there is a Boneyarder destined for an ESPN blogger paycheck!

That was a hilarious moment, by the way. Who was that? Was it 990411?

Reaction Score
This is like MHVER3 quoting one of his alter egos. That is quoting someone else's.

Or even someone linking a satirical realignment thread on three other major message boards and twitter. But that never happens. Right.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The more I think about the timing of this release, after having this bowl on the table for most of August, September and October, then 1 week before the Big East exclusive negotiating window is going to expire, this leak, there is no other conclusion than ESPN made this leak to help their negotiating position with the Big East and scare off other bidders by devaluing the Big East.

Reaction Score
The more I think about the timing of this release, after having this bowl on the table for most of August, September and October, then 1 week before the Big East exclusive negotiating window is going to expire, this leak, there is no other conclusion than ESPN made this leak to help their negotiating position with the Big East and scare off other bidders by devaluing the Big East.

Let's just say this, the timing of this leak isn't just a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom