Amida | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are a lot of knocks on Enoch but you cannot tell me that he is less skilled offensively than Brimah is. Enoch has a midrange game that Brimah dreams of, and has the build to work the post against any defender without getting pushed around. Brimah's offensive game consists of lobs, put back dunks, and the occasional failed post move then a kick out to a guard.

brimahs post moves are horrible, i hate when our guards feed him. its like feeding drummond or dj in the nba, its not efficient, post moves are just not efficient in modern basketball. but enoch hasn't proven anything, he is probably be the same. i dont recall him hitting jump shots last year, don't bring some games vs division b intl comp.

Reaction Score
brimahs post moves are horrible, i hate when our guards feed him. its like feeding drummond or dj in the nba, its not efficient, post moves are just not efficient in modern basketball. but enoch hasn't proven anything, he is probably be the same. i dont recall him hitting jump shots last year, don't bring some games vs division b intl comp.
He hit 10 foot jumper from both sides of the floor consistently last year when given the opportunity, which intrigues me. I do agree, passing the ball into the post isn't an efficient possession, which is why I think Enoch's ability to pop out to the short corner, if he can hit the shot, is useful when our guards are penetrating.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I would be very happy with 9.5 points, 6 rebounds and 3.5 blocks and expanded minutes because of fewer fouls. He is stronger...just needs to play smarter and play hard

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for the best for AB but have learned to minimize expectations. Not sure why he hasn't been around in the summer or big man camp.
Experience is a great teacher. It would seem that he has "make up" work to do in the experience part of his game. When I think of what some guys
have done in the off season (Kemba comes to mind) it mystifies me that someone with such enthusiasm doesn't seem to have it channeled for off season development. I really hope he has a good or even great season because as others have said you can see that he seems to have heart and desire. Also, as in judo, over enthusiasm can be used against you with fakes etc. Always loved the paradoxical statement by Ray Allen: "Play hard, stay calm"

Reaction Score
I'm hoping for the best for AB but have learned to minimize expectations. Not sure why he hasn't been around in the summer or big man camp.
Experience is a great teacher. It would seem that he has "make up" work to do in the experience part of his game. When I think of what some guys
have done in the off season (Kemba comes to mind) it mystifies me that someone with such enthusiasm doesn't seem to have it channeled for off season development. I really hope he has a good or even great season because as others have said you can see that he seems to have heart and desire. Also, as in judo, over enthusiasm can be used against you with fakes etc. Always loved the paradoxical statement by Ray Allen: "Play hard, stay calm"

There is nothing to indicate that AB didn't do everything he could to improve this summer, not sure why you're insinuating that he didn't.

Reaction Score
More concerned about his defense. He needs to stay home on D and KO has to figure out how to let him by improving perimeter D.
Yep, Brimah's senior year is about staying on the floor for rim protection AND getting rebounds. Do those two things at a high level and UConn will be very good and a pro career will beckon. He is unlikely to become a create his own shot scorer at the college level and if he makes or plays in the NBA it will be for rim protection.

Reaction Score
Yep, Brimah's senior year is about staying on the floor for rim protection AND getting rebounds. Do those two things at a high level and UConn will be very good and a pro career will beckon. He is unlikely to become a create his own shot scorer at the college level and if he makes or plays in the NBA it will be for rim protection.

If he does those things he's basically Sam Dalembert, who enjoyed a pretty long career as a rim protector with little offensive game. Brimah doesn't move as well laterally as Dalembert did, but if he can average 8/6/2.5 blocks someone will take a look in the second round in the hopes that he can become something similar.

Reaction Score
If he does those things he's basically Sam Dalembert, who enjoyed a pretty long career as a rim protector with little offensive game. Brimah doesn't move as well laterally as Dalembert did, but if he can average 8/6/2.5 blocks someone will take a look in the second round in the hopes that he can become something similar.
A plus and very nice thing about Brimah is enthusiasm & personality. He loves the game, by all accounts is a great teammate and doesn't seem to have much of an ego. Perfect attributes for someone to embrace the rim protector role.

Reaction Score
How do you know what he does during the offseason? And another guy naming a mythical "big man camp", ya'll never actually have a name for it, just "big man camp", I guess Pete Newell's ghost is the instructor for it.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
What I like about AB is that he is a competent FT shooter from what I recall. I think he can step out and hit some shorter midrange shots if they asked it of him. I never liked his little baby hook shot. He needs to watch some Olajuwon or McHale tape and learn to be a bit more crafty around the rim.

I'm hoping his lower half is way stronger. I feel like he's always getting pushed away from rebounds. If he can hold his position he'll rebound better and that will allow him to stay on the floor as a rebounder.

Reaction Score
What I like about AB is that he is a competent FT shooter from what I recall. I think he can step out and hit some shorter midrange shots if they asked it of him. I never liked his little baby hook shot. He needs to watch some Olajuwon or McHale tape and learn to be a bit more crafty around the rim.

I'm hoping his lower half is way stronger. I feel like he's always getting pushed away from rebounds. If he can hold his position he'll rebound better and that will allow him to stay on the floor as a rebounder.

He showed a competent face-up jumper his sophomore year but didn't shoot many last year, I would much rather him shoot those than post up and try those hooks. I know after a game against Tulsa his sophomore year when he hit like 4 jumpers he made a comment in the postgame that he didn't like shooting jumpers because he felt it was "soft" for bigmen to shoot jumpers, if he still holds onto that mentality he needs to lose it because outside of lobs and putbacks that's his most effective route for offense. Truthfully I would've been more than happy with Amida getting 3-4 jumpers last year at the expense of DHam's bricks, hopefully he gets more of an opportunity to shoot them this year.

Reaction Score
He showed a competent face-up jumper his sophomore year but didn't shoot many last year, I would much rather him shoot those than post up and try those hooks. I know after a game against Tulsa his sophomore year when he hit like 4 jumpers he made a comment in the postgame that he didn't like shooting jumpers because he felt it was "soft" for bigmen to shoot jumpers, if he still holds onto that mentality he needs to lose it because outside of lobs and putbacks that's his most effective route for offense. Truthfully I would've been more than happy with Amida getting 3-4 jumpers last year at the expense of DHam's bricks, hopefully he gets more of an opportunity to shoot them this year.

It's a good point, there are few teams who will have someone on the court who can truly challenge those shots if he wants to take them.

Reaction Score
Instead of face up jumpers and baby hooks from the baseline, I think he'd benefit from trying to use the backboard more. Everyone thinks that Tim Duncan always had great touch on his jumper but realistically he first developed short bank shots and improved his range and shot mechanics over time. The backboard is more forgiving and generally puts him in better position to rebound his misses as well.

Reaction Score
Instead of face up jumpers and baby hooks from the baseline, I think he'd benefit from trying to use the backboard more. Everyone thinks that Tim Duncan always had great touch on his jumper but realistically he first developed short bank shots and improved his range and shot mechanics over time. The backboard is more forgiving and generally puts him in better position to rebound his misses as well.

Backboard shooting is an art and I sincerely doubt he gets there at this point. We need him to square up and make a jump hook or in his case get it to the rim so maybe ken tan can get a weak side rebound. I agree wit those who think he can make a jumper form 10-15 more often than we see him, problem is you need to get it to him ready to shoot. If there is any hesitation or he needs to do anything with the ball it suddenly becomes a bad possession, can't pass or dribble. Hence why we don't see that jump shot as much as we would like. I noticed one play in the First Night scrimmage he caught in mid low post on the left side spun to the middle for a like a half hook, it was different and while not really a natural move it was new. He's trying from what I can see by that because I've never seen anything close before to that type of move - let's see what happens!

Reaction Score
How do you know what he does during the offseason? And another guy naming a mythical "big man camp", ya'll never actually have a name for it, just "big man camp", I guess Pete Newell's ghost is the instructor for it.
Doesn't Hakeem Olajuwon run a big man camp in Houston?

Reaction Score
Petty cash as long as someone else is writing the check.
There's a reason why the only players we've ever heard of working with Hakeem have been pros, and the only 2 I can think off the top who have shown improvement are Bron and Kobe, two legends/ATGs. Tyson Chandler went to work with Hakeem and it didn't change his game from being a rim runner/lob catcher, and Dwight was still stiff as a board in the post after his work with him. Being a fluid and skilled lowpost threat is hard.

Reaction Score
Every year Amida is supposedly gaining weight and strength but we are all waiting for that moment when he holds his ground against a big ox and doesn't end up on the hardwood or when he goes strong to the hole and his defender gets thrown down. Help defending and blocking shots is big don't get me wrong but it would be nice to have the whole package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom