Amida | The Boneyard

Amida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I realize that no one is expecting it but the possibility exists that Amida could be a beast this year at a completely different level from what we've seen, a top shelf five. Number one he looks stronger. Two he should be less tentative. Three, this is it for his ticket to a financial future in the NBA and you know KO has harped on him. Been hoping for this at the start of every season, and I won't let cupcake games distract and fool me, but no one is looking for it and that's when stuff happens.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I realize that no one is expecting it but the possibility exists that Amida could be a beast this year at a completely different level from what we've seen, a top shelf five. Number one he looks stronger. Two he should be less tentative. Three, this is it for his ticket to a financial future in the NBA and you know KO has harped on him. Been hoping for this at the start of every season, and I won't let cupcake games distract and fool me, but no one is looking for it and that's when stuff happens.

Lets hope.

Im a fan of his, hes a great kid.

Ive tempered my expectations because while I always like hearing the annual "20 lbs of muscle" off season tales with Amida, I realize that much of his stuff is just as much "basketball awareness" as it is physical. And when you have a junior last year play as unaware as he did in regards to staying on the floor, you wonder if that isnt an issue that can ever be broken.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He has no Hambone to lob to him. He is cooked.

:(

He will get some lobs still, but not as many, and overall that is probably a good thing for his game.

Those lobs have been fools gold for 2 years.

Feasting on weaker opponents with them, but not available against stronger teams. He needs a game he can use against all comers.

Reaction Score
it's pretty rare that a player drastically improves his game as late as his senior year. It does happen. Hilton and Giff come to mind. But those guys didn't play a ton until later in their career. It seems like Amida has had ample opportunities to show us who he is a player. I think we'll get something similar to before...which isn't all that bad.

I think all of us hope he improves his rebounding and offensive abilities. I doubt we see a ton of difference in either of those areas. He's on the bad side of average in both categories. I do think it's possible to become a better shot blocker. Yes, he's already quite good at shot blocking, but you can always get better. Maybe he blocks shots on the ball better. Versus getting most of his blocks off the ball.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He has no Hambone to lob to him. He is cooked.

:(

I really liked DHam (I know I'm in the minority) but I think many can throw up those lobs. Look for AG and Jalen to be just as effective
AB HAS to be a bigger offensive force so it can force the opponents to pay attention rather than double team everyone else
I agree, this is the year he needs to be noticed so he can earn NBA money
If he doesn't show he needs to sit more and let the others work on their game
He was a huge reason for the 2014 NC but since then there hasn't been the expected breakthrough - really hoping its this season

Reaction Score
Amida once scored 40 in a game. No reason he can't average 12 and 7 as a Senior.

Reaction Score
He could really help the offense if he polished his footwork on screen setting. We cant run any action with him on the floor because he cant screen anybody (don't be hoodwinked by his high offensive rating, a lot of that is due to high FG% at the rim with all the dunks and no turnovers with low usage). I'm not optimistic that happens this year so you just have to hope he gives you maybe a rich mans version of his freshman year while enoch and facey fill in the center position by committee ( a la brimah,nolan,olander). He was a beast in AAC tourney and had moments in the ncaas, so maybe i'm wrong we'll just have to see.

Reaction Score
Hamilton's exit is definitely going to have an impact on lobs but I think you will see much greater penetration from the guards and with that will be more dump offs and... believe it or not... offensive rebounds. When it is all said and done, I'm expecting about the same point production with an uptick in overall rebounds.

BTW... Enoch and Facey will benefit similarly but I think Amida will stay on the court more often this year so he will get the lion's share of opportunities around the hoop.

Reaction Score
Big year for the young man. Good shot blocker throughout his first 3 years with little more to show, but the potential for a big senior year is there. Needs to rebound the ball on both ends and get a 3 foot jump hook to the rim. Good kid, passionate hope everything else finally translates into a wonderful senior year for him.

Reaction Score
Ive tempered my expectations because while I always like hearing the annual "20 lbs of muscle" off season tales with Amida, I realize that much of his stuff is just as much "basketball awareness" as it is physical. And when you have a junior last year play as unaware as he did in regards to staying on the floor, you wonder if that isnt an issue that can ever be broken.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I don't think his limitations as a player have all that much to do with undeveloped muscle (though I don't deny added muscle will help). It's basketball awareness, it's balance, it's coordination, it's footwork, it's instincts. There's a reason that he's an NBA prospect and there's a reason it hasn't always translated to the floor (and the biggest reason, as you say, is foul trouble).

Then again, perhaps his lack of strength has forced him to overcompensate during territory battles on the block, which resulted in fouls. We'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
In the photos that I've seen, he certainly looks like he's added muscle. Remains to be seen if he developed any offensive game.

Reaction Score
I was hoping he'd look bigger when I tuned in on First Night but I do think a lot of his shortcomings were mental/footwork. I'm looking for guys like Larrier and Purvis to pick up some Amidalobs. If Larrier can do some DD-esque driving on guys, that lob will be there and easy for a tall guy like him.

Reaction Score
Enoch will be our starting center come tournament time. He is on just a completely different level offensively. Hopefully he can put it together on the defensive side of things where Brimah obviously has the advantage. Enoch's size and agility gives me confidence that he will be able to throw his weight around and defend while rebounding on an above average level this season.

Reaction Score
I was hoping he'd look bigger when I tuned in on First Night but I do think a lot of his shortcomings were mental/footwork. I'm looking for guys like Larrier and Purvis to pick up some Amidalobs. If Larrier can do some DD-esque driving on guys, that lob will be there and easy for a tall guy like him.

I think the lobs will come from Jalen and AG, CV at times. Heard TL has some nice passing skills so we'll see. I'm ok if there's less because I don't want to see crazy stuff with an overabundance of tries like the Cuse has done over the years (not as much as of late but back in the day it was a joke). The easy one's I like but when they get too happy it can get ugly. Just play basketball, shoot it and go after it and take the easy ones when the guys leave AB to help.

Reaction Score
Enoch will be our starting center come tournament time. He is on just a completely different level offensively. Hopefully he can put it together on the defensive side of things where Brimah obviously has the advantage. Enoch's size and agility gives me confidence that he will be able to throw his weight around and defend while rebounding on an above average level this season.

All about his feet, if he can move and defend he may not ever start this year but there will be ample time.

Reaction Score
Amida once scored 40 in a game. No reason he can't average 12 and 7 as a Senior.

Hopefully we play defenses as incapable as Coppin State's was that game all year!

Reaction Score

This post exemplifies Poe's Law.

I have no idea if you genuinely believe that A implies B, or if this is a brilliant caricature of those who do.

Reaction Score
All about his feet, if he can move and defend he may not ever start this year but there will be ample time.
To me it seemed more about his basketball awareness and IQ which can only come with time. That's why I believe his time in Armenia really helped him, because despite the subpar competition the game seemed to slow down for him and after that happens on the college level I see him making an impact on both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
This post exemplifies Poe's Law.

I have no idea if you genuinely believe that A implies B, or if this is a brilliant caricature of those who do.

He averaged 9.1 and 4.4 as a sophomore. I honestly don't think 12 and 7 as a Senior is unrealistic especially if he can stay out of foul trouble and play more minutes.

Reaction Score
To me it seemed more about his basketball awareness and IQ which can only come with time. That's why I believe his time in Armenia really helped him, because despite the subpar competition the game seemed to slow down for him and after that happens on the college level I see him making an impact on both ends of the floor.

Nah, that's Ab and Kentan. Steve is purely moving his feet and being able to react defensively and he will be fine!

Reaction Score

He is definitely on a completely different level offensively in that he is on a lower one.

Reaction Score
He is definitely on a completely different level offensively in that he is on a lower one.
It's like people forgot all those times he rolled to the rim to box out for a shot that wasn't even taken yet. He had pretty much zero awareness on both ends last year but did show signs of great screening and some physicality in the paint. look, Steve is young so while I don't buy this "he is skilled" narrative , he could absolutely prove me wrong with a leap this year or next. But from every thing I've seen he's just going to fill minutes behind brimah and facey, which is complete fine and necessary.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of knocks on Enoch but you cannot tell me that he is less skilled offensively than Brimah is. Enoch has a midrange game that Brimah dreams of, and has the build to work the post against any defender without getting pushed around. Brimah's offensive game consists of lobs, put back dunks, and the occasional failed post move then a kick out to a guard.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of knocks on Enoch but you cannot tell me that he is less skilled offensively than Brimah is. Enoch has a midrange game that Brimah dreams of, and has the build to work the post against any defender without getting pushed around. Brimah's offensive game consists of lobs, put back dunks, and the occasional failed post move then a kick out to a guard.

The bolded is true, which is why his offensive game is currently further along than Enoch's. I don't disagree that Enoch has displayed some potential as a post player, but we haven't seen it and he isn't nearly as valuable as Brimah as a rim runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom